• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

I still didn't get to that rat boss, but I remember a dialogue with the ladder dude mentioning he's filthy rich, reminded me of The Sewer King, a Hey Arnold episode.

Aesthet1c

Can anyone help me find a good great sword for a strength tank build?

Currently I'm using the Drangleic Greatsword, but I'm not sure if I should just focus on upgrading that or if there is a better one out there for me.

Also, I have almost no points in Int and Faith. Is it a waste to modify my weapon to be fire/lightning/dark/etc? I currently do good physical damage but I like that elemental weapons can do damage through most peoples (or enemies) shields.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm having game withdrawal at work. This is already the second time this happened this year (first was M&M X), while I don't think it ever happened in 2013. What a great year.

What's the death toll at now?
i think it was like 23m last time i checked?

Man, I don't swear often, but fuck the R
oyal Rat Authorit
y. I must have died about 20~30 times on him. Thankfully there's a bonfire right outside the door.

The worst bit is, on attempt ~20, I managed to kill him. He did his final attack, and I was like "This is it" and spammed R1. I didn't notice my health though - I killed him, then a second later I died... turns out that doesn't count.

I've never hated the Souls series so much.
I think this was the easiest boss of them all. He didnt even hurt me once, the few attacks he landet was my shield up. just stand between the front and the backlegs on one side and hes just too dumb to hit you and attacks really slow

Stet

Banned
Am I totally building wrong for DS2 focussing on Dex/Adp? I feel like Dex builds are unfairly punished compared with DS1.

Gbraga

Am I totally building wrong for DS2 focussing on Dex/Adp? I feel like Dex builds are unfairly punished compared with DS1.

They suck, but it's not that bad, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend it to people new to the series, but you played Dark Souls, so you'll be able to compensate.

NEO0MJ

So, what did people think of the
Old Dragonslayer fight? Tought it was pretty cool, and it had a great theme. As soo as I beat him I rushed to the armor shop hoping to find his armor only to find out it wasn't for sale :(

When can we craft boss weapons? So far I have beaten 6 bosses. Skipped the gargoyle fight because they're too darn strong for m right now. Are they weak to any particular element such as magic or lightning?

yatesl

Yeah - my +10 Rapier is pretty dope, but I have to make sure I'm carrying a +5 Shortsword at the same time, otherwise it'll just fall apart.

Gbraga

really? my +5 rapier has been pretty insanely strong so far

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the problem seems to be more with the slash weapons (that are the majority of dex weapons), rapiers are fine. There's also the low scaling and durability, but it wouldn't be a big deal if the weapons weren't so underpowered.

Didn't they just nerf the dogs? I remember him pre patch. Felt like punching my TV.

Well, they are the source of evil, after all. If you kill the dogs, the boss is pretty easy.

Never fought him pre-patch though, I only played Dark Souls this year, can't really say for sure.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah - my +10 Rapier is pretty dope, but I have to make sure I'm carrying a +5 Shortsword at the same time, otherwise it'll just fall apart.
yeah i've been switching between my rapier and my flame sword thingie

upgraded them both a bit but since so far in the game titanite has been limited i've not tried to upgrade anything too much

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the problem seems to be more with the slash weapons (that are the majority of dex weapons), rapiers are fine. There's also the low scaling and durability, but it wouldn't be a big deal if the weapons weren't so underpowered.
ah ok, if my rapier was shit then str weapons would probably be ridiculously overpowered then :p

i really want to find a scythe tho

i really liked the bleed scythe in dks1, such a silly and fun weapon

Stet

Banned

Yeah, I'm going slash so far. Might be worth making a change.

Gbraga

So, what did people think of the
Old Dragonslayer fight? Tought it was pretty cool, and it had a great theme. As soo as I beat him I rushed to the armor shop hoping to find his armor only to find out it wasn't for sale :(

When can we craft boss weapons? So far I have beaten 6 bosses. Skipped the gargoyle fight because they're too darn strong for m right now. Are they weak to any particular element such as magic or lightning?

Too easy :C

Gbraga

yup

all bosses in this game are just a bunch of pinwheels darn it!

To be fair I had some trouble with
the Smelter Demon
and
Ruin Sentinels

Though the second one wasn't a problem anymore as soon as I swapped my dual curved swords to two handing the Drangleic Sword for that fight.

Opto

Banned
Haha! I had to deal with a fucking bastard that kept invading me in the Dragon Shrine but fuck you pal, I beat the area's boss and now I never have to see your stupid fucking face again. Choke on yourself, you miserable fuck!

Haha! I had to deal with a fucking bastard that kept invading me in the Dragon Shrine but fuck you pal, I beat the area's boss and now I never have to see your stupid fucking face again. Choke on yourself, you miserable fuck!

You can be invaded even if the area boss is dead.

Gbraga

You can be invaded even if the area boss is dead.

image.php

zma1013

Doesn't work, it hits multiple times and the first hit depletes all my stamina and the next kills me

If you want to know how to win beat him, read this.

The fight is easier if you fight in front of his head. Stand in front of him and he will do 1 of 2 things. He will breath fire straight out, which you then simply run left or right to avoid and the smack him on the front foot, then run back in front of him. The other thing he'll do is fly in the air an breath fire everywhere. As soon as you see him flap his wings, turn around and run directly away from him, full speed, non-stop. You should easily clear that attack everytime if you do this. Then just go back in front of his face and repeat.

I tried fighting under him attacking his back legs but he's too unpredictable and you can't escape the flying fire attack.

Fuz

Banned
Finally had a chance to try it.

And.
Oh, god.
Mouse+keyboard controls are so incredibly bad, it's a joke. Even redefining them is a massive chore.
It's even worse than DS (where m+k controls were pretty good once you applied the DSmouseFix).
Terrible port.

Goddamn do I love invading and being invaded! It's actually rare to see a build that is ridiculously OP and hard to counter, and I've seen quite a bit of variety as well which is nice.

I have a question about magic for all you mages out there. I want to make a magic & melee build with Crystal Magic Weapon for the buff. I know it'll do mad damage but what should I infuse my staff and weapons with? I have Faintstone and Magic Stone but I'm not sure which to use.

Edit: Oh, this is probably important. I have 50 INT and 8 FTH.

maomaoIYP

Goddamn do I love invading and being invaded! It's actually rare to see a build that is ridiculously OP and hard to counter, and I've seen quite a bit of variety as well which is nice.

I have a question about magic for all you mages out there. I want to make a magic & melee build with Crystal Magic Weapon for the buff. I know it'll do mad damage but what should I infuse my staff and weapons with? I have Faintstone and Magic Stone but I'm not sure which to use.

Edit: Oh, this is probably important. I have 50 INT and 8 FTH.

Magic stone infusion is useless.

zma1013

I keep hearing how terrible dex builds are because of the weapon degradation in this game.

There are bonfires like every 10 feet so it's not much of an issue. Still, you want to have a backup weapon just in case. I did the whole game with a dual katana build and never broke either of my weapons.

Gbraga

There are bonfires like every 10 feet so it's not much of an issue. Still, you want to have a backup weapon just in case. I did the whole game with a dual katana build and never broke either of my weapons.

Do you use the power stance a lot or do you prefer to just use the regular dual wielding? I have two Blacksteel Katanas and a Poison Uchigatana, I really want to dual wield katanas, but I think it kinda sucks. If you could share some stuff...

Currently I'm just going with a Blacksteel Katana and a Falchion so I can still parry outside of the power stance.

Gbraga

Finally killed him,took 10 tries,thx Gbraga!

It worked then? Nice. :D

It's probably my favorite boss fight so far (only did a couple more after him), I love dodging his jump attack.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you could get a ton of fire resistance by rolling on those water pots >_<

That would probably make your life easier.

Tiops

Rapiers are good because they're thrust weapons. Slash weapons suck in the game, unfortunately (except for Ultra Greatswords, they seem to do damage even to armored enemies). The game got really easier to me when I switched my Bastard Sword to a Great Club. Claymores are nice too because of the strong attack, because it's a thrust attack :p

And Rapiers are godlike at PVP. They don't consume much stamina and are really, really fast. I roll forward and start spamming R1, never fails. Even if the opponent defends, I still have stamina to easily roll backwards and dodge whatever they launch at me to counter-attack.

I'm using a +6 Rapier currently, with the Old Leo Ring equipped. When I see that my opponent is starting an attack, I immediately start pressing R1, it's always faster than those large swords and clubs that people like to use, and the counter attack damage is incredible.

Finally had a chance to try it.

And.
Oh, god.
Mouse+keyboard controls are so incredibly bad, it's a joke. Even redefining them is a massive chore.
It's even worse than DS (where m+k controls were pretty good once you applied the DSmouseFix).
Terrible port.

This may be silly...but do you have a controller? I wouldn't even dream of playing this game with kb+m

Mistel

Banned
Can anyone help me find a good great sword for a strength tank build?

Currently I'm using the Drangleic Greatsword, but I'm not sure if I should just focus on upgrading that or if there is a better one out there for me.
Mastodon greatsword is the greatsword for a strength tank. It gets A scaling and has a nice moveset to boot.

Garcia

Noooooo! We were just about to beat the host's Ancient Dragon and he got killed! He just had 1/5 of his health. 4 more strikes away from glory. :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If I totally suck at PvP, my character has been built with no regard for PvP, and I have less than 10 minutes of experience with PvP, total, throughout the entire Souls series, should I bother joining the bell bros to get some chunks or will I just be destroyed and humiliated? I know that sometimes it's 2 invaders against 1 player, so I could probably win in that situation. I just want some fucking chunks guys.

Havel

Do you mean with left click and right click? It's due to the game apparently "waiting" for an additional input, specifically if you're going to double click or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754259701364973/

There is this fix but it causes some other issues. I hope they fix this soon.

Not just mouse, but with controllers too. Going back to Dark Souls 1 after the ridiculous input lag of DS2 is so refreshing. Also the dead zones in DS2 are way off the mark.

Seriously. Someone go back to DS1 with a controller and you will be shocked.

If I totally suck at PvP, my character has been built with no regard for PvP, and I have less than 10 minutes of experience with PvP, total, throughout the entire Souls series, should I bother joining the bell bros to get some chunks or will I just be destroyed and humiliated? I know that sometimes it's 2 invaders against 1 player, so I could probably win in that situation. I just want some fucking chunks guys.

Yeah you can easily get chunks. Just fight cheap and distract the guy while the other invader damages him. You won't win every time, but just try it out. You have nothing to lose.

Gbraga

Worth a shot.

Go for it, mate. You'll have a ton of fun invading the bell towers and you'll likely be swimming in chunks in no time.

Forkball

Finally got out of NMW. My +3 mace did a ton of damage against FS, he wasn't so hard. However, I had no idea where the bonfire was in LB, got to THAT boss, and then lost 15k souls. You live and learn (and cry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom