• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of magic users, I'm trying to go with a spellcaster build for the first time in my Demon's/Dark Souls playthroughs.

Stupid question, but what should I use in my off hand? Is it worth putting points into strength so I can use a shield or sword?

I am rocking a str/int build with 40str/50int. I'd definitely recommend it. But if you wanna go pure caster you can do int/faith for those hexes.

I think it is possible in regular NG?

Yeah, it opens the door on both Belfrys.

But I don't know if the door remains open if it is rang by an invader, particularly after the host dies.

Nah I'm pretty positive it's only on NG+. It only worked on NG+ on ps3, so I don't think it changed.

Edit: My apologies maybe you can on regular NG. It's just such a rare chance since they restrict pvp with soul memory on top of SL. Soul memory is removed in NG+.

Jintor

mgrgrgrgr, feels like I'm doing less damage with my rad axe now that I switched it to magic, even with the magic buff. Not sure... god I hate the maths metagame

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Anybody have any tips for R
oyal Rat
A
uthority
?

This fight is kicking my ass, and for some reason you can't summon anybody to help.

For those getting invaded in Belfry Luna, if you have the gate open, you can ALWAYS step through the boss fog, even if the Gargoyles are dead. Cheap way of getting rid of an invader you might be losing to.

LiK

Pyro requires fire seeds to upgrade.

Faith gets lightning spear pretty early and never looks back.
even at +10, Pyro ain't that great for most bosses.

Faith is only really great after your upgraded the chimes and you also need to increase your Faith stats just to use some of the better Miracles. Lightning Spear is nothing after moving onto Great Lightning Spear especially in NG+.

oyal Rat
A
uthority
?

This fight is kicking my ass, and for some reason you can't summon anybody to help.

Try a strong ranged attack, or a weapon with a good swing that can kill multiple enemies to take out the mobs before the big one comes down. After that, try to stay under the big one. It's a bullshit fight, good luck.

yatesl

i8ei2G27UEQ5D.jpg

Any recommendations on what to level next? I've done
3 out of the 4
bosses. Gone with a dex build as that's what I did in DS1 (Iaito +15, I miss you). Currently got a +10 Rapier.

oyal Rat
A
uthority
?

If that's the
giant rat
, used ranged attacks to get rid of the
small rats
at the beginning. You can target them from crazy far away. After that, it's just a Sif fight without the sword. Be careful though,
he can throw up on you and that will likely one shot you.

oyal Rat
A
uthority
?

Just fight him like you fought Sif. Stand under him and attack his legs.
Now the real problem is the smaller dogs that spawn with him gotta take those out asap.

Any recommendations on what to level next? I've done
3 out of the 4
bosses. Gone with a dex build as that's what I did in DS1 (Iaito +15, I miss you). Currently got a +10 Rapier.

ADP to 20 and rest in VGR if you want to stay melee. Otherwise put some into magic categories.

Atrophis

I better go explore down there some more. I've heard several people mention the hidden bonfire.

There is another hidden spot down there! Keep exploring near the ledge in that area with a torch.

The hidden spot is one of the few genuinely scary bits in the game so far. I got out of there pretty quickly!

LiK

Just fight him like you fought Sif. Stand under him and attack his legs. Now the real problem is the smaller dogs that spawn with him gotta take those out asap.

Rush to them and take out all the lil guys. They should go down in one hit if you're strong enough. Then take your time blocking and try to get some hits in against the boss.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Some needs to add a PHAT beat to "You you give us smooth".

You, you, give us smooth.
UNCE bshhh UNCE bshhh UNCE bshhh
Ya ya so nice so smooth
UNCE bshhh UNCE bshhh UNCE bshhh

oyal Rat
A
uthority
?

Pyromancy...I used Fire Tempest underneath him and it took off most of his life in one use. Granted, my pyromancy was maxed out at that point, but use that spell once or twice and you should be fine. Just stay underneath him.

Simzyy

oyal Rat
A
uthority
?

I didn't have a ranged weapon at the time so I charged forward at the smaller enemies, got lucky and took them all out in two swings of my great sword then just stayed as close as possible to the main bosses back legs. He hit me once or twice but it was easy to heal.

I don't know if I got lucky, but I probably did.

GRIP

8 times got summoned into Iron King fight. 8 times ends in failure due to me or the host dying. Old Iron King isn't the boss. The fucking lava holes are the real boss.

Yeah, that boss doesn't have a great success rate in my experience. It also doesn't help that he becomes a lot more unpredictable with his attacks when you have multiple people running around and with so little room to move it can be a pretty big pain in the ass to get out of the way if you're stuck on the wrong side.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If that's the
giant rat
, used ranged attacks to get rid of the
small rats
at the beginning. You can target them from crazy far away. After that, it's just a Sif fight without the sword. Be careful though,
he can throw up on you and that will likely one shot you.

The problem is that
the main guy jumps down as soon as you shoot one of the little guys and I don't have time to kill all four of them before he's on me

eot

Banned
If a sword has a thrusting attack, does it deal thrust damage with that move even if it isn't technically a thrusting sword?

Grief.exe

Why 20/22 ADP? I am raising it right now. I am at 18 ADP I thought of raising it to till 100 ago. Is that a good plan? What is too much?

I think 20 is a soft cap for i-frames, then you hit diminishing returns.

I was watching an ENB video and he capped it at 20. I did the same thing and there is no going back now.

I'm still trying to beat the game blind but can anyone give me the most subtle hint on where I can get a pyromancy hand and how to enchant weapons with all these special ores?

I already found the
pyromancy girl who wanted clothes
and
the weird blacksmith at the lost bastille who mutters about embers.

It's so great absolutely smoking people who try to spawn kill you with excessive magic spamming. This guy seemed like he was firing off Great Resonant Soul before I even got there, just spamming the shit out of it. Backstabbed him and then slashed him right as he was about to heal.

Grief.exe

I'm still trying to beat the game blind but can anyone give me the most subtle hint on where I can get a pyromancy hand and how to enchant weapons with all these special ores?

I already found the
pyromancy girl who wanted clothes
and
the weird blacksmith at the lost bastille who mutters about embers.

It takes a while to make the blacksmith stop muttering.

From being stuck at the Ruin Sentinels (what an awesome tune that plays during the fight though, and their slender figures are freaky as hell) I ended up destroying the Lost Sinner with some help of Lucatiel and pwned some incredibly easy skeleton dudes boss at Huntsman Copse. Then I went back to unlock Belfry Luna and it was invasion fest. Helped someone kill the gargoyles but I can't kill them in my own world, ugh.

Also, does anyone know where the Bastille key is? I can't seem to find it anywhere and it's driving me mad...

Co-op is much more awesome here, especially with the shades you can summon to help you clear some areas of enemies very quickly so I can then proceed to explore. I keep dying a lot regardless and forced to use the small soapstone myself. Gotta conserve the human effigies for NG+ after I read about their secondary effects if you burn them.

Nabs

From being stuck at the Ruin Sentinels (what an awesome tune that plays during the fight though, and their slender figures are freaky as hell) I ended up destroying the Lost Sinner with some help of Lucatiel and pwned some incredibly easy skeleton dudes boss at Huntsman Copse. Then I went back to unlock Belfry Luna and it was invasion fest. Helped someone kill the gargoyles but I can't kill them in my own world, ugh.

Also, does anyone know where the Bastille key is? I can't seem to find it anywhere and it's driving me mad...

Co-op is much more awesome here, especially with the shades you can summon to help you clear some areas of enemies very quickly so I can then proceed to explore. I keep dying a lot regardless and forced to use the small soapstone myself. Gotta conserve the human effigies for NG+ after I read about their secondary effects if you burn them.

Gotta kill the Gargoyles.

Grief.exe

You need to free a prisoner trapped in his own body.

EDIT: Gargoyles apparently.

I thought I exhausted all of his dialogue when I met him and even warped a couple of hours later check again but he doesn't say anything new at all.

Is it because I looted his home?

Listen to his dialogue, that will be a clue as to why he is muttering incessantly.

You don't unlock the item for a long time

Try the Gargoyles again :D

ElFly

even at +10, Pyro ain't that great for most bosses.

Faith is only really great after your upgraded the chimes and you also need to increase your Faith stats just to use some of the better Miracles. Lightning Spear is nothing after moving onto Great Lightning Spear especially in NG+.

I disagree. I could only stop attuning Lightning Spear after getting several copies of Great LS. Damn thing is hella reliable.

AkuMifune

Banned
Fashion souls represent. I don't like many of the helms and will probably switch to
Bone King Crown
later. Will also finally have the stats for the
BK Halberd
tonight.

o6s47pB.jpg

Also answered my own question, apparently you can check the Steam ID of people you play with using Black Separation Crystal. Will have to check tonight. For some reason I have no people in my 'recently played with' list, so hope that works.

NEO0MJ

I was wondering, do we still lose our rank in a covenant when we switch to another one? I was about to begin serving the honorable Rat King but I want to make sure I won't lose my progress like what happened in the original Dark Souls when I joined the Path of the Dragon and then switched.

I was wondering, do we still lose our rank in a covenant when we switch to another one? I was about to begin serving the honorable Rat King but I want to make sure I won't lose my progress like what happened in the original Dark Souls when I joined the Path of the Dragon and then switched.

You keep rank regardless.

Listen to his dialogue, that will be a clue as to why he is muttering incessantly.

You don't unlock the item for a long time

I've been to a dozen different areas and fought as many bosses in my 24 hours of playing this and I still won't be able to enchant weapons until later? That's a little disappointing.

And about that pyromancy flame hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom