• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so great absolutely smoking people who try to spawn kill you with excessive magic spamming. This guy seemed like he was firing off Great Resonant Soul before I even got there, just spamming the shit out of it. Backstabbed him and then slashed him right as he was about to heal.

Love those people, they always fail at it and I blow them up lol.

I've been to a dozen different areas and fought as many bosses in my 24 hours of playing this and I still won't be able to enchant weapons until later? That's a little disappointing.

And about that pyromancy flame hand?

Hard to give hints but let me try:

The Ember for McDuff is in a hot place
The Pyromancy Flame is on a ship

If both of these don't ring a bell you need to explore a bit more still.

Alric

Nice, managed to take down
Flexile Sentry
on my first try :) No Man's Wharf was pretty cool.

Flexile Sentry
really was one of the easier bosses and easier parts of Wharf. That creatures scared of light were a menace for my first character that was pure melee.

Aw, I thought I combed all of No-mans Wharf already. Thanks.

If you want the specific location of the Pyromancy Flame, reveal the spoiler. It is an EASILY missable item because you're only in the one room for a second.

After you kill the Flexile Sentry boss, you can go into another room and up a ladder. When you reach the top of the ladder, turn around. There is a chest that contains the Pyromancy Flame.

I just killed that fireworm that guards the firesword. Is there a way to jump over that ledge that leads up to him? He dropped an item and I don't want to lose it.

I just killed that fireworm that guards the firesword. Is there a way to jump over that ledge that leads up to him? He dropped an item and I don't want to lose it.

To get to the other side (which is also the pit with the fire spouts), come back to this area with the
Iron Key
. You'll be able to open a door you couldn't earlier.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Ha. Nearly reached my quitting point in
Iron Keep approaching the Old Iron King. Took the advice I read here to try a boss as a summon first, and three of us beat him with ease, then tried myself with two helpers and I fell into the lava :|. Hadn't realised there was a closer bonfire, so I was making a horrible trek from the smelter bonfire several times before discovering it, losing at least 60k souls in the process.

LiK

Iron Keep approaching the Old Iron King. Took the advice I read here to try a boss as a summon first, and three of us beat him with ease, then tried myself with two helpers and I fell into the lava :|. Hadn't realised there was a closer bonfire, so I was making a horrible trek from the smelter bonfire several times before discovering it, losing at least 60k souls in the process.

Missed the ladder eh

eot

Banned
I think 20 is a soft cap for i-frames, then you hit diminishing returns.

I was watching an ENB video and he capped it at 20. I did the same thing and there is no going back now.

As I understand it you don't get iframes from ADP until much later, it just makes you initiate the roll faster so you can dodge closer (in time) to the attack.

BearPawB

Banned
Beat the game last night. Really enjoyed it.
Not as memorable as the first game perhaps, but i am coming into this game with a much different knowledge/mindset.

I am gonna hop into new game plus as soon as i clear out the last couple bosses i missed
dragon and the covenant one....are the only ones i think i missed

Grief.exe

I always pop down my sign to learn the fight first. I did that boss three or four times in co-op before attempting it by myself. Also restores you to human, full health, spell/estus flask charges, and repairs your equipment.

From is dastardly at hiding those bonfires close to the bosses. Really rewards exploration.

I can think of a few off the top of my head, but there are probably more.

Iron Keep
Black Gulch
Earthen Peak
Drangelic Castle - I got so lucky finding this one

duxstar

I love this game, it's hilarious how a boss that I find impossibly hard to beat , is so easy for other people
Smelter Demon
yet bosses that give others an impossibly hard time I can kill without worrying at all
Lost Sinner
Just shows that certain builds have advantages and disadvantages.

I love this game, it's hilarious how a boss that I find impossibly hard to beat , is so easy for other people
Smelter Demon
yet bosses that give others an impossibly hard time I can kill without worrying at all
Lost Sinner
Just shows that certain builds have advantages and disadvantages.

It seems to me that the biggest difference comes from one group of people prefering dodges, the other likes to tank with a shield.

Shields are great vs.
Sinner
but don't work well against
Smelter
and the other way around for dodging.

Drangelic Castle - I got so lucky finding this one

I didn't find this one until after all the missing bonfires popped up on my map. Realized I was missing two in Drangleic Castle and just googled it after 3 hours of walking around. Of course, as soon as I open the wall, a hint pops up behind me hahaha.

The_Monk

Decided to backtrack quite a bit and ended up in a place full of ladders and poison, lot's of poison.

Found a Big boss bellow and I had two people summoned but I was with so many broken weapons and armour that I died pretty fast. I feel embarrassed for letting my two anonymous kind summoners down, they were praising the sun all the way with me until the boss and we were making decent damage. I hope I can find a bit of jolly co-op later on if I try again. They were awesome but for this fight it seems that someone using long-range magic is much better.

LiK

It seems to me that the biggest difference comes from one group of people prefering dodges, the other likes to tank with a shield.

Shields are great vs.
Sinner
but don't work well against
Smelter
and the other way around for dodging.

Nah, Gyrm Greatshield pretty much makes Smelter a cakewalk.

I just killed that fireworm that guardifferent the firesword. Is there a way to jump over that ledge that leads up to him? He dropped an item and I don't want to lose it.

Shortly after release on PS3 I managed to get in there several times by running and jumping. But I think that may be patched out because I couldn't do it again when I tried much later. The area is very difficult because those salamanders are really strong but it's well worth a suicide run because it has a really nice shield (although it requires a lot of strength to use). You can drop down there from the room with the elevator to the boss if you have enough health to survive the fall. Silvercat ring from the cat merchant and going naked (fall damage decreases with low equip weight) may help with that. Poison arrows can help you deal with the lizards.

The drop you missed is probably a cracked red orb or a small orange burr. Those were the items I usually got from them.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Missed the ladder eh

Yup.
Is there an NPC invasion at the top of that ladder, before climbing to the bonfire? A message on the ground hinted at it, and there's plenty of bloodstains but nothing happened for me :( Maybe if I go back now that the boss is dead?

LiK

And my point was that people who fight these bosses for the very first time have problems because of different playstyles.

Shield of any kind works fine against him anyway. I beat him with just the Drangleic shield even tho you take a bit more damage with the flames. Same can be said for Lost Sinner who can be beaten without a shield. Whatever works.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
49155125.jpg

Earthen Peak
This level did not need three bonfires, in fact I think it only needed one (the middle one). It removes so much of the tension when the trek to each bonfire is so short.

To be fair one of them is hidden and the one next to the windmill is probably there because most people probably don't have any Flame Butterflies at that point in the game. If you like tension I highly recommend a zero-deaths run.

Accidentally stumbled across a shortcut just as I was reading a message on how to access it. From has gotten a lot more creative between games...

Also, a question, SoulsGAF: What ability/spell is that Zeus lightning bolt throw that a lot of invaders seem to use & what damage type does it deal?

Shield of any kind works fine against him anyway. I beat him with just the Drangleic shield even tho you take a bit more damage with the flames. Same can be said for Lost Sinner who can be beaten without a shield. Whatever works.

Did I say they can not be beaten in other ways? The entire game can be beaten naked with only fists. What are you even arguing for?

Grief.exe

Accidentally stumbled across a shortcut just as I was reading a message on how to access it. From has gotten a lot more creative between games...

Also, a question, SoulsGAF: What ability/spell is that Zeus lightning bolt throw that a lot of invaders seem to use & what damage type does it deal?

Lighting Spear, it's a miracle.

Booshka

Lightning Spears are Miracles, and they do Lightning damage.

sixghost

Spoilerish gif: Cathedral of Blue boss battle.

Nothing hard to pull off, but man does this kind of thing make you feel good when you get it right. That's why pure gameplay is always better than cutscenes and QTE. And that's why I love this series.

I never had the balls to try and parry any boss attacks besides the Pursuer charging attack. I wish the game was a bit more consistent with the things you can parry.

sikkinixx

I'm finding the Emit Force miracle is really useful, especially when co-oping as you can dash into a group of enemies and stagger them all so your crew can bash the hell out of them. Or if a horde is rushing you (so... a lot in this game) it's a quick way to inflict a little damage and give yourself some space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom