• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I'm finding the Emit Force miracle is really useful, especially when co-oping as you can dash into a group of enemies and stagger them all so your crew can bash the hell out of them. Or if a horde is rushing you (so... a lot in this game) it's a quick way to inflict a little damage and give yourself some space.

It really helps in Black Gulch to destroy groups of statues.

It really helps in Black Gulch to destroy groups of statues.

Good tip, I will have to try that. I hated that area on my first play through. Any edge could make it tolerable.

You can also
light the tar pits on fire with a torch and I think pyromancy and flame arrows.

Kade

In a bit of a pickle. So yesterday, I wounded
Cale the Cartographer thinking he was one of those undead warriors that are just chilling on the ground until you walk past them. He wasn't hostile and he didn't die or anything so I talked to him until he ran out of dialogue and he gave me a key. I went into his house and killed the skeleton in his basement and left to go finish off my business in the forest. When I returned to Majula he wasn't there. Is he dead??? Did he die from his wounds???? I feel horrible.

Cale the Cartographer thinking he was one of those undead warriors that are just chilling on the ground until you walk past them. He wasn't hostile and he didn't die or anything so I talked to him until he ran out of dialogue and he gave me a key. I went into his house and killed the skeleton in his basement and left to go finish off my business in the forest. When I returned to Majula he wasn't there. Is he dead??? Did he die from his wounds???? I feel horrible.

You are probably ok, there is one more trigger to get him to return.
beat the boss of the area.

Stet

Banned

He killed himself because he thought you hated him. Sorry. :(

Uthred

I think complaining about "too many bonfires" fails to take into account the differences between DS and DS2. While their basic "refresh" function is the same the way they interact with the rest of the games mechanics and their "design purpose" as such are different. To give an anecdotal example, playing a pure sorcerer character, generally in DS1 magic was stronger and there were less enemies but the longer gaps between bonfires meant that I was generally out of spells and maybe estus by the time I hit one. In DS2 magic is weaker and there are more enemies, so again I'm generally out of spells and maybe estus by the time I hit a bonfire (and durability on my main weapons as well). So in terms of resource management they feel pretty similar, though in general I find DS2's pacing/distribution to be smoother than its pre-decessor. The relative rarity of bonfires in DS made them feel like a stopping point, whereas in DS2, given the increased number of enemies, etc. they feel more like a staging point, I enjoyed both, but they do feel different which is why I think directly comparing the two without acknowledging their different context feels off.

Yeah I got it after many tries. Thanks everyone!

For the record I made the jump, got the shield, turned around and was charged by a lizard.... Died instantly.

Those damn things are brutal. I have never taken one down as melee (granted I didn't try too many times), only cheesed from range. Hardest enemy in the game by far.

ugoo18

Was about to reformat my PC but just had a thought.

If i move my DS2 files to a HDD and the save files, after the format can i copy them all back and have it work as it did previously?

I just saw something similar on steam and lack of a concrete response makes me somewhat worried about losing all my progress.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754260297287647/

I attempted moving the DS2 files to a HDD to try running it but it couldn't see my save at all so i'm definitely worried about losing my progress.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Shouldn't need a shield against
Smelter Demon
. But the bad hit boxes require it unless you want to spam magic at it.

spoiler gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/MasculineSaltyEeve.gif
I'm loving Dark Souls II. It has everything I loved about DeS and DaS, I prefer Drangleic over Boletaria and Lordran and it has a bunch of neat stuff of it own. I'm really psyched about it.
But fuck those hitboxes.
Such a damn shame. :(

DukeBobby

Okay, time to do these
giant memories

They were really pissing me off last night due to the ridiculously tough enemies and short time limits.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I always pop down my sign to learn the fight first. I did that boss three or four times in co-op before attempting it by myself. Also restores you to human, full health, spell/estus flask charges, and repairs your equipment.

From is dastardly at hiding those bonfires close to the bosses. Really rewards exploration.

I can think of a few off the top of my head, but there are probably more.

Iron Keep
Black Gulch
Earthen Peak
Drangelic Castle - I got so lucky finding this one

I've even missed obvious ones. I missed the first one in
Harvest Valley, just before the shard-selling NPC
! Only found it later when I went backwards through the area to get everything.

BearPawB

Banned
Are there any int scaling boss weapons?

I have been using a magic mace for 90% of the game. Would like to continue using a magic weapon. Can any of the boss weapons be turned into magic weapons?

The Ruin Sentinels are my Capra Demon. I must've done it about 10 times so far through various methods and summons, all end in failure. This fight is really breaking me. Wandered through to Huntsman's Corpse. That place seem like its really full of fucking rainbows.

Tiops

I have been using a magic mace for 90% of the game. Would like to continue using a magic weapon. Can any of the boss weapons be turned into magic weapons?

Moonlight Greatsword, made with the soul that Freja drops on NG+. You can use an Ascetic at the lower Bighstone Tseldora bonfire to get in the first playthrough, if you're feeling brave.

Yes, you can get the
Moonlight Greatsword
, but you'll need to use a bonfire ascetic to take
Freja
to NG+ mode.

The Ruin Sentinels are my Capra Demon. I must've done it about 10 times so far through various methods and summons, all end in failure. This fight is really breaking me. Wandered through to Huntsman's Corpse. That place seem like its really full of fucking rainbows.

I think you're right to try a different route. In my first playthrough, I didn't even find the Sentinels until I'd already cleared several other mid-game areas. They're much more manageable if you've already collected a great soul or two.

Mistel

Banned

Watcher greatsword. Or you could just infuse magic onto a weapon of your choice most of the boss weapons can be infused like the butcher's knife for instance.

Sullichin

What's up with all the "illusory wall ahead" messages that lead to a brick wall that does nothing?

So uh wtf just happened to my game?

Acid Souls

I have no mods on it and today it started acting up like taking longer to open and load my saves etc. This happened while waiting for PvP and i couldn't even access menus' Had to alt tab to quit. What gives?

Shouldn't need a shield against
Smelter Demon
. But the bad hit boxes require it unless you want to spam magic at it.

spoiler gif
http://giant.gfycat.com/MasculineSaltyEeve.gif
Co-oped him tons of times with no shield. Honestly that attack isn't bad at all. Once you learn to dodge slightly later than you might think, it's fine. That guy dodged too early. Dodge to the right and behind him and it's fine every time. Still need to heal a few times as I'm always rolling into his fire body.

Tak3n

Banned

I will help you as I just done them :)

the key is to only fight the first one on that platform you start, even when he jumps down just stay up there and he will come back up, keep your shield up and just pop a hit when he has finished his attack move.... as soon as you have killed that one, you are left with 2..... heal up and if you have range try to hit one of the from the platform, eventually both will jump up, once both are on platform go down.... keep your shield up and keep moving, watch out for when they they throw their shields as that is game over if they connect.....try to get one away from the other..hit and move, always make sure you have stamina, I used range to take one of the remaing 2 down, then went Melee on the last one

I think you're right to try a different route. In my first playthrough, I didn't even find the Sentinels until I'd already cleared several other mid-game areas. They're much more manageable if you've already collected a great soul or two.

Yeah i'm going to try and go a different way in Lost Bastille to avoid for now. Looks like I missed a wooden door somewhere. Do Pharros Stones get abundant at some point? I bought the only one off the old lady and now I'm out again.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah i'm going to try and go a different way in Lost Bastille to avoid for now. Looks like I missed a wooden door somewhere. Do Pharros Stones get abundant at some point? I bought the only one off the old lady and now I'm out again.
Join the rats for lots and lots of lockstones.

Maybesew

I wouldn't say abundant, but I have more than I need at this point

En-ou

Was about to reformat my PC but just had a thought.

If i move my DS2 files to a HDD and the save files, after the format can i copy them all back and have it work as it did previously?

I just saw something similar on steam and lack of a concrete response makes me somewhat worried about losing all my progress.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754260297287647/

I attempted moving the DS2 files to a HDD to try running it but it couldn't see my save at all so i'm definitely worried about losing my progress.

yes of course. i always checkpoint my saves in case i ever want to show off a specific boss etc.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
King Vendrick
is the absolute most BULLSHIT BOSS in this ENTIRE game.

Giving all his attacks practically one-hit KOs does not make him DIFFICULT FROM.

FUCK.

AND FUCK YOU FOR NOT LETTING ME SUMMON ANYONE TO HELP ME.

sixghost

Mace is the answer.
If you have enough STR/DEX to powerstance them, the strong attack staggers them in one hit. If you can't do that, two handing a mace is still extremely effective.

Rich!

I am at
Drangleic Castle
, SL 115, 25 hours so far.

How am I doing? Also, fighting the
royal rat authority
required absolute fucking zen. Beat it with no damage taken! 100% block shield and high stamina make it a pushover...as long as you beat the rats first.

The platforming in this game is really starting to frustrate me. I've never messed up a single jump in all of my time in Dark Souls 1, but here, I either don't initiate the initial run despite having had a full stamina bar for at least 5 seconds, or the jump just simply doesn't register for whatever reason. I'm not sure why I'm struggling with it so much. I've probably lost ~50k souls in Iron Keep through failed jumps alone.

Anyway, does anyone know how to maximize backstab damage every time? Sometimes I do ~800 in damage, while in others, I do ~500 on the same enemy. I don't know what determines it; is it a random critical hit, maybe?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
King Vendrick

Giving all his attacks practically one-hit KOs does not make him DIFFICULT FROM.

FUCK.

Hug the back of his left leg, its a safe spot for almost all attacks.

Honestly, I hate some of these bosses
(particularly the two rat bosses)
. Some of them seem to rely too little on actually being interesting, well designed bosses and more on "how can we swarm the player and just make the battle more annoying than genuinely challenging"

Like this one.
the actual boss is super easy, to the point that I did not get hit once. It's just that the four rats are ridiculously annoying and the battle basically depends on whether you can quickly get rid of them within seconds before getting intoxicated

Pretty much :)

King Vendrick

FUCK.

You clearly have not fought AD. Vendrick is pretty safe if you hug his leg. If you've collected all the Giant Souls, you can kill him faster (and not have to dodge so many attacks). And there's always the option of tanking if you've got a good shield. He usually gives you enough breathing room between attacks.

Yes, they don't respawn. Which is really frikkin' weird considering that Dark Souls 1 had the exact same issue and they later remedied this with a patch.

Learning lessons from pre-patch Dark Souls does not seem to have been a priority for this development team. See, e.g., damage scaling.

Sullichin

I was going to play a bit more before commenting on this topic. You've said everything I was thinking while playing, both as a hexer and as a knight I made last night to play with a friend. A lot of the criticism of this game is simply comparing it to Dark Souls (the way Demon's fans did to that game to the chagrin of DS fans, ironically), when none of the changes happen in a vacuum.

Yes, there are more bonfires, yes you have the travel ability from the start, but there are a dozen changes that connect to these, so you can't really compare them directly to how bonfires were spaced in DS1. Spells run out faster, weapon durability is a constant worry instead of slow attrition.

Agreed. This is a good example:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/26/dark-souls-ii-final-review-the-trouble-with-sequels/
A well thought out critique but he says a sequel should never have been made and then goes on to say it's a contender for GOTY 2014. He says a spiritual successor would have been better but most of his complaints (non interconnected world, groups of enemies, some weird hitboxes) and many of the changes that are getting a negative reaction like limited respawns have nothing to do with the game confining to the forumula of Dark Souls I. They could have easily made the same choices with a "spiritual successor."

Too many people are comparing the game to an imagined idealized version of their favorite Souls game which doesn't exist.

DukeBobby

I mean more specifically, how am I doing myself? Like, is that a good SL to have by that point, and am I going through it quite quickly or not?

Your're definitely at a high enough level. I think I was about level 100 at that point and didn't run into too many problems.

If you feel that you're going through it too quickly, maybe take a break and engage in some jolly co-operation!

King Vendrick

FUCK.

Pfft he's nothing.
Ancient Dragon
is way more bullshit than him if you don't have
gower's ring
it can be pretty anooying.

The platforming in this game is really starting to frustrate me. I've never messed up a single jump in all of my time in Dark Souls 1, but here, I either don't initiate the initial run despite having had a full stamina bar for at least 5 seconds, or the jump just simply doesn't register for whatever reason. I'm not sure why I'm struggling with it so much. I've probably lost ~50k souls in Iron Keep through failed jumps alone.

My problem is the rolling after the jump. "Sweet made the jum.....why are you ROLLING!! fucakkk".

FaintDeftone

I finished the game last night. Feels great to finally say I've completed it.

I still need to go back and fight a few bosses I skipped. I need to take on Vendrick, Royal Rat Authority and Darklurker. I took out all of the others.

I finally had my first invasion and took him out easily. The next invasion I had was in the belltower going back to fight the gargoyles and I was invaded by two dudes at once. I didn't even know that was possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom