• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Early in the morning I had the fairest PvP match and I enjoyed it big time. Lag was barely noticeable, it almost felt like a CPU invader.

If only the game behaved like that all the time. *sigh*

Vuze

Hussa, cleared No Man's Wharf and Huntsman's Copse in this session and also stuck my nose into The Lost Bastille until I got wrecked by those
Ruin Sentinel
bosses.

Also, I kinda liked this shot I took, so I thought I'd share (click to enlarge). Is it okay to non-spoiler-tag locations btw?

doomquake

In Spain there was a pre-order print for the game made by Azpiri. He drew a lot of game covers in the 80's.
x3bOiw4.jpg

yeeeesss

Sullichin

I just checked. I missed a darknight stone and a couple of titanite shards. I'll live.
Speaking of, a good use of darknight stone for those not invested in FTH/INT is to dark infuse the Transgressor's Leather shield. 100% dark defense, 0.3 weight. Very good against hexers in PVP.

I'm naturally working on sun bros anyways as I put my sign down in front of bosses until I am confident enough in beating the boss by myself.

Around 27 Sunlight Metals right now.

You're close to maxing out the covenant already. Too bad you still have to hand in the medals one at a time.

Co-oped him tons of times with no shield. Honestly that attack isn't bad at all. Once you learn to dodge slightly later than you might think, it's fine. That guy dodged too early. Dodge to the right and behind him and it's fine every time. Still need to heal a few times as I'm always rolling into his fire body.

He dodged too early, completely dodged he sword swing, but still get hit? Dodging slightly later than you might think so the phantom sword will miss you?

Please, don't make excuses for borked hit boxes. Saying "you can get used to it" doesn't make it any better.

Tiops

Nice to see the series is staying true to form then
Gwyn is definitely not a joke. I only beat him easily when I parry him, and I had to look on wikis to find out that I could do that. Let's not consider fighting him after beating the game a lot of times and consulting the wiki, no way Gwyn can be considered easy in those conditions. And even now I struggle a bit with him on NG+ onwards, as he can kill you with 2 or 3 slashes.

King Allant is a joke, but it's not a proper boss fight. The final proper boss would be False King, and he's fucking hard.

Nashandra
is a proper boss fight, and it's really, really easy. It's not "staying true to the form" in any way, unfortunately.

Smelter was disappointingly easy with the
Lucatiel Buff. Completing that on console was maddening, but just now, I went into the fight and Smelter pinned Lucatiel against the wall and I thought she was toast. To my surprise she was tanking damage like a pro. Even the AoE blast barely phased her. So I literally just stood in the middle of the arena throwing Lightning spears at him and he was dead. Happened so fast in what might be the easiest fight in the game so far...

YMMV

Whoa, like, they stop forever? If you use a bonfire ascetic do they then respawn indefinitely or another 15?

Respawn for another ~15, but in NG+ difficulty, boss too and it carries over to NG+ so it would be at NG++ while other area's not with an Ascetic are only NG+.

Booshka

Not that much of a joke if you're pure melee and do
Throne Defenders first
. But even then, that first part is the only challenge. And yeah,
Vendrick is the real final boss

Darklurker is the better final boss imo
Both
Vendrick
and
Ancient Dragon
can be cheesed pretty hard.

Darklurker
on the other hand is tough for pretty much everyone, unless you are an OP Faith Build. There really isn't any cheesing that fight, and pure melee, it's really tough, and pretty fun too.

Zeliard

Smelter was disappointingly easy with the
Lucatiel Buff. Completing that on console was maddening, but just now, I went into the fight and Smelter pinned Lucatiel against the wall and I thought she was toast. To my surprise she was tanking damage like a pro. Even the AoE blast barely phased her. So I literally just stood in the middle of the arena throwing Lightning spears at him and he was dead. Happened so fast in what might be the easiest fight in the game so far...

YMMV

Her defense has been significantly buffed.

Darklurker is the better final boss imo
Both
Vendrick
and
Ancient Dragon
can be cheesed pretty hard.

Darklurker
on the other hand is tough for pretty much everyone, unless you are an OP Faith Build. There really isn't any cheesing that fight, and pure melee, it's really tough, and pretty fun too.

Best fight in the game by miles along with Smelter.

xBladeM6x

Just beat (End Game Spoilers)
Nashandra but didn't kill Vendrick first. Does this change the ending or something? Just curious. :p

Tiops

I got the Lucatiel trophy on PS3 pre-patch. SD was epic. I equipped the Red Eye Ring to draw the boss attention, but he didn't give a fuck and focused on killing her. I summoned another phantom, so we were behind the boss throwing miracles at him like crazy, while Luca was slowly dying.

She had around 10 HP and the boss was almost dead, one more lightning spear would kill him. He jumped to kill her, and the other player hit him mid-air with a Great Lightning Spear. If he threw that spear half second after, SD would've killed Lucatiel. If the other player were near me, I would pay him a nice dinner.

Now you just summon Luca and let she take all the hits :p

Sullichin

He dodged too early, completely dodged he sword swing, but still get hit? Dodging slightly later than you might think so the phantom sword will miss you?

Please, don't make excuses for borked hit boxes. Saying "you can get used to it" doesn't make it any better.

:shrug: even in that gif it looks like he's getting clipped at the very end of his roll. He's dodging too early. Seems like every other Souls boss to me where you just have to get used to the timing. I've beaten him dozens and dozens of times. Not making excuses. I just don't have any problem with the hitboxes on his attacks. Not saying I'm perfect or that I don't mess up dodges.

The_Monk

I felt I skipped a lot of bonfires and locations, yet again. But after countless tries I killed
The Rotten
. It took me so many tries, summons... I really had some difficulty with this one, I'm horrible at timing and dodging.

I have no idea where to go but I might need to backtrack a lot. I have other locations discovered but not much bonfires in it. I remember I was descending some place with spider webs but kept dying, might need to check that out as well some of the first locations, probably.

xBladeM6x

Changes nothing. KV is optional.

Ah thanks. Now I'm off to kill
Ancient Dragon so I can use the 5 Giant Souls to kill Vendrick.
I have to say though, I'm loving that
when you beat Nashandra, it doesn't just start the new game right away but rather gives you chance to do anything that you missed. :D

Tiops

:shrug: even in that gif it looks like he's getting clipped at the very end of his roll. He's dodging too early. Seems like every other Souls boss to me where you just have to get used to the timing. I've beaten him dozens and dozens of times. Not making excuses. I just don't have any problem with the hitboxes on his attacks. Not saying I'm perfect or that I don't mess up dodges.
I dodge that SD attack every time. I beat him pretty easily if I have some lifegems to cure the damage you get for being near him. Even then, I say that the hitbox on that attack is absolutely broken. He's not dodging too early. He dodged it correctly, the sword doesn't hit him. Yes, you have to dodge a little later than the guy did on the gif, but only because the hitbox is shit.

In a world were the hitboxes are good, he wouldn't get hit.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Anyone have any tips for a straight magic user?

Have never made one before.

Katori

So this is my first real Souls game (didn't get to a boss in Demon's, didn't get past the third boss in Dark), although I did watch some of Dark and this. That being said, I don't feel like it should take me over 20 tries to beat
the Last Giant.
I read somewhere that
Pate
will give you something if you summon him and kill the boss with him, so every time I'd die I would put my summon sign down in front of the door, kill the boss with someone else to regain humanity, then summon and try to kill him myself. Luckily I didn't lose a single soul (had over 25000 in the boss room by the time I killed him), but man that was frustrating.

I'm practically level 30 and I still have complete build anxiety. I want to be fast and strong, but I also want to experiment with magic, but can't afford all the points necessary (didn't start as a magic class). Pretty sure my weapons suck as well--I'm using a scimitar and a shortsword+1 that I found and not doing nearly as much damage as quickly as I'd like. As far as armor goes, I'm working my way up to the Alva set, slowly. Anyway, I'm soldiering on, I just think it's funny that it took me so many attempts to defeat the first boss. Anyone else have as much trouble as I did?

En-ou

Company of Champions
  • ■Joining this covenant offers a higher degree of difficulty to the game and disables friendly summoning (including NPC summoning) and being summoned, although it is still possible to summon hostile spirits and be invaded. All enemies deal more damage and have more health.
  • ■Defeating an invading red phantom will reward the player with an Awestone. Defeating red phantoms summoned through a Red Sign Soapstone do not yield awestones. Certain monsters also drop awestones rarely. These awestones can be offered to rank up in the covenant.
  • ■Enemies gain higher tactical intelligence, as they will retreat when at low health, and attack at the same time, making fighting multiple enemies much more dangerous

well fuck me...i knew i wasnt wrong for thinking this game was harder than DS1. i had no idea it was the covenant's effect.

Tiops

Anyone have any tips for a straight magic user?

Have never made one before.
Sorcery is mostly crap until 2/3 of the game. Try to use hexes, you have access to some good ones near the beginning. Pyromancies can help too.

The hex seller at Huntsman Copse entrance sells some good equipments, and gives the best staff for hexes if you have 20 int and 20 faith.

The first good sorcery you can get is Soul Spear at Huntsman Copse, but you only have 4 casts.

EDIT: And if you don't mind putting some points in STR, put at least 12 so you can wield a Mace. It really can help.

I got the Lucatiel trophy on PS3 pre-patch. SD was epic. I equipped the Red Eye Ring to draw the boss attention, but he didn't give a fuck and focused on killing her. I summoned another phantom, so we were behind the boss throwing miracles at him like crazy, while Luca was slowly dying.

She had around 10 HP and the boss was almost dead, one more lightning spear would kill him. He jumped to kill her, and the other player hit him mid-air with a Great Lightning Spear. If he threw that spear half second after, SD would've killed Lucatiel. If the other player were near me, I would pay him a nice dinner.

Now you just summon Luca and let she take all the hits :p

Her defense has been significantly buffed.

Yeah, I think it probably deserved a small buff, but this was overboard. It used to take an already difficult fight and add like a count-down timer to failure. Now it's a crutch...

Carcetti

Anyway, I'm soldiering on, I just think it's funny that it took me so many attempts to defeat the first boss. Anyone else have as much trouble as I did?

I don't think it's strange considering you're new. When you play Souls games you take time to develop a confident calm playstyle. When you play more, practice rolling and blocking, and maybe try that giant in a new game or new game+ you'll dodge everything he throws at you because you just know in your spine when to roll.

Taking out two
Bell Covenant
members without even wearing a Ring of Binding (and at max hollow) felt very satisfying. Your fancy magic and lightning spears will do you no good against my blade!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Company of Champions
  • ■Joining this covenant offers a higher degree of difficulty to the game and disables friendly summoning (including NPC summoning) and being summoned, although it is still possible to summon hostile spirits and be invaded. All enemies deal more damage and have more health.
  • ■Defeating an invading red phantom will reward the player with an Awestone. Defeating red phantoms summoned through a Red Sign Soapstone do not yield awestones. Certain monsters also drop awestones rarely. These awestones can be offered to rank up in the covenant.
  • ■Enemies gain higher tactical intelligence, as they will retreat when at low health, and attack at the same time, making fighting multiple enemies much more dangerous

well fuck me...i knew i wasnt wrong for thinking this game was harder than DS1. i had no idea it was the covenant's effect.
Yep. I challenge anyone who thinks the game is easier than DS1 to beat it while in the company of champions.

Bucca

Yep. I challenge anyone who thinks the game is easier than DS1 to beat it while in the company of champions.

Generally speaking IMO it is an easier game than DS1.

The covenant of champions difficulty modifier is just an optional thing.

Arken2121

Company of Champions

Dude...I joined it as well without knowing the ramifications. This makes the game that much more awesome!

I'm doing that right now without a shield and naked!

Shiina

The wiki says that Harvest Valley is a great place to farm Titanite Chunks by burning Ascetics because it has no boss that needs to be killed but if I try to burn one at the first bonfire it tells me that I need to kill the lord of that domain or something of that sort. I beat the
fat slug
even though I think it's part of Earthen Peak. Does anybody know why I can't burn one?

I heard you guys discussing the acquisition of Wrath of the Gods earlier, and how it is much easier to do it on NG++ rather than grinding the covenant.

Is it easier to do the 'acquire all spells/faith/hexes/miracles/etc' on NG++? Or just for that specific miracle?

The only spell that is probably best to get on NG is the
Dark Pilgrim Covenant reward level 3
. There are 2 spells to pickup on NG++ that are huge grinds in NG or NG+ to get as covenant rewards, unless you love PvP, I would go the NG++ route. All other spells can be picked up at any time. Bellbro Reward Level 2 isn't too much of a grind, but can be gotten without too much hassle on any NG level.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The covenant of champions difficulty modifier is just an optional thing.
Doesn't really change what I said. Dark Souls didn't have the company of champions so we won't ever really know. But the main point is that for people who think it was too easy, one covenant begs their attention.
The wiki says that Harvest Valley is a great place to farm Titanite Chunks by burning Ascetics because it has no boss that needs to be killed but if I try to burn one at the first bonfire it tells me that I need to kill the lord of that domain or something of that sort. I beat the
fat slug
even though I think it's part of Earthen Peak. Does anybody know why I can't burn one?
CD
Covetous Demon
isn't the lord of Earthen Peak. You need to progress past the room where you beat that mini-boss and continue with the level.

The_Monk

Regarding each "square" on the map locations. This will depend if I will find all bonfires in said areas or I might miss some of them?

Shiina

CD
Covetous Demon
isn't the lord of Earthen Peak. You need to progress past the room where you beat that mini-boss and continue with the level.

Does that mean the two areas are connected as far as Ascetics go? And what does that mean as far as item resets and enemy/boss difficulty are concerned?

Bucca

Doesn't really change what I said. Dark Souls didn't have the company of champions so we won't ever really know. But the main point is that for people who think it was too easy, one covenant begs their attention.CD
Covetous Demon

But if you compare base game DS1 to base game DS2 (without champion covenant in effect), it definitely feels like the easier game.

Patch solved the HDMI problem, thank God. What a beautiful game!

I know this was asked before, but since this thread is moving way too fast, I ask you, fellow gaffers: what are the best attributes to level up as a Cleric?

Bucca

If I'm making a straight magic user what starting class will give me the best early jump on that?

Sorcerer I imagine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom