• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varna

So this soul memory thing was bull shit in the console release as well right?

Why couldn't they implement something better for matchmaking? Maybe account for level and bosses defeated/areas cleared (or maybe even items acquired).

Also on the first run of the game you can't be summoned into NG+ fights can you?

cm osi

You're wrong. (Post game spoiler) Have you
played the game on NG+ and looked at the extra boss souls that drop?

ah, that's kinda lame lol

i'm really excited for vaatividya to explain to me everything i didn't understand in my playthrough

probably gonna watch enb beat the game too
nah, i'm probably wrong. i mean i get the "main lore" (vendrick steal the dark because nashandra tells him to do so, and then get invaded by the giants and start the war) but i can't connect some things. the dark was stolen from the giants in Lordran, nashandra was born from manus and sure Gwin, Smough and gough were big but none of them had a hole in their faces and wooden skin.
the 4 great ones too were killed by "the player", so why the game says they were defeated by vendrick? why there are pieced of the lordvessel in drangleic/vinheim?
anyway, time to read some lore. i stilll have to read some analysis
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Lore#.U2A_mqKe6M8

Atrophis

Well wasn't expecting a to fight
Vengarl
after completing a boss. Son of a bitch killed me and then I made a dumb ass mistake on my way back and lost 60k souls. Later lost 40k on the way to
Smelter Demon
. Also beat
Chariot
and
RRA
. Only boss now available to me that I know of is
Iron King
and I came pretty close to beating him. Seems easy enough, he will go down tomorrow (now I know about the closer bonfire, thanks ENB).

H1PSTER

Why couldn't they implement something better for matchmaking? Maybe account for level and bosses defeated/areas cleared (or maybe even items acquired).

Or... Ya'know, kept it how it was in the first Dark Souls.

It was like 20% of your soul level, that's fine! And you could still use the ring to buff the percentage to say 30-35% of soul level for co-op.

You could even factor SunBro into that and add another 5% but keep it just for co-op.

I have 300K more souls then my friend and even though he's of the level I can connect with, his soul memory isn't so we're missing out on jolly cooperation because From Soft thought it'd be a good idea to add this BS layer of complexity.

Zafir

Yeah the Soul Memory stuff is a bit shitty. I fear I'm going to get to the stage where there's going to be no one around to co-op with. I'm like level 105(800k or 900k soul memory) or something and I'm only just after Iron Keep because I've been trying to get those sunbro medals.

Yeah the Soul Memory stuff is a bit shitty. I fear I'm going to get to the stage where there's going to be no one around to co-op with. I'm like level 105(800k or 900k soul memory) or something and I'm only just after Iron Keep because I've been trying to get those sunbro medals.

Yeah Soul Memory does suck, but at least it is removed completely in NG+. Still, I don't like the idea from the get go. Mainly that and cracked red eye orbs being so rare till NG+. They pretty much set most of the pvp and invasions for NG+ which is lame imo as I like the extra challenge of being invaded, especially in my first playthrough.

I'm pretty sure people who are dumping hours in this game are going to be getting pretty high in the soul memory area.

It is a pretty crude system to implement for matchmaking though.

The game feels so...lonely when Steam is down. No bloodstains, no messages, no ghosts running around...

(Interestingly, that's what Dark Souls 1 felt more like on PC. Bloodstains/ghosts/messages were just much less common then they are on DS2 right now. It almost makes this one feel less isolated. Not really a complaint, just an observation.)

Zafir

Yeah Soul Memory does suck, but at least it is removed completely in NG+. Still, I don't like the idea from the get go. Mainly that and cracked red eye orbs being so rare till NG+. They pretty much set most of the pvp and invasions for NG+ which is lame imo as I like the extra challenge of being invaded, especially in my first playthrough.
Well considering I'm not much of a fan of the invasion mechanic, that doesn't bother me quite as much. Though they'd probably have been better doing something different, where you can opt into invading (being invaded/invading others) or opt out and you can't do either or something and make it difficult to change so people can't just invade others and no one invade them.

def sim

People that summon me from the rat clan or just for co-op and try to trick me with the transformation spells are the best. It cracks me up so much.

Maybesew

I'm getting an error when I start up that I can't go online because I am not connected to Steam, but when I alt-tab, I'm fully signed into Steam. Has anyone else gone thru this?

ElFly

nah, i'm probably wrong. i mean i get the "main lore" (vendrick steal the dark because nashandra tells him to do so, and then get invaded by the giants and start the war) but i can't connect some things. the dark was stolen from the giants in Lordran, nashandra was born from manus and sure Gwin, Smough and gough were big but none of them had a hole in their faces and wooden skin.
the 4 great ones too were killed by "the player", so why the game says they were defeated by vendrick? why there are pieced of the lordvessel in drangleic/vinheim?
anyway, time to read some lore. i stilll have to read some analysis
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Lore#.U2A_mqKe6M8

It's possible that
the four ones you defeat aren't the ones that Vendrick defeated; maybe Vendrick gave a big soul to Iron King, Lost Sinner, etc after he conquered the other soul owners.

Levyne

Banned
I just reached a second bonfire in
The Gutter
. I don't see a way to go from here. Should I just go back to the first and find a different way?

I just reached a second bonfire in
The Gutter
. I don't see a way to go from here. Should I just go back to the first and find a different way?

Nah the second bonfire is close to where you have to go, keep looking. There should be an area with a bunch of ladders around there.

I actually like being forced to duel in the arenas to get cracked eye orbs. This game would be completely nuts if BoBs could invade non stop. You can invade hollows, you can invade when people have cleared the area boss. It would just be insane. Besides dueling is fun and red eye orbs aren't very hard to stockpile.

burgerdog

I am so tempted to summon help for the 3 sentinels, but I feel like Id be letting myself down after beating all the DS1 bosses solo.

Don't. I could never beat S&O solo in ds1 and I regret summoning people for it. I managed to kill those dudes on my first attempt and it felt good. You're going to feel even better when you kill them. Keep trying.

Also on the first run of the game you can't be summoned into NG+ fights can you?

Yeah, soul memory is on consoles, too. It really should be based on spent souls, not just earned souls.

NG is "segregated" from NG+ for multiplayer.

Vitor711

For those interested, here is a map on how the areas connect each other (SPOILERS)
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/file/view/DS2map2.jpg

I had to use this as I had no idea Shaded Woods existed. Seriously - never saw that entrance. Had beaten all the other areas in the game too... boy did I feel silly.

Also, finding a hard time getting co-op buddies now also. I may have overdone it for where I am right now in the game (33 hours, souls level 130ish).

Still, LOVING my fully upgraded Great Club. Now I'm putting points into Dex so I can finally use that upgraded Black Knight Halberd I found a while ago.

Also have maxed out my Alonne Captain armour and am feeling particularly bad-ass. Finally got a set-up that's working.

Still need to increase my equip load badly though. Can't have any active weapons on the d-pad besides my main which is vaguely annoying. Only have the first Royal Soldiers Ring. Can't wait to find that +1.

Levyne

Banned
The Gutter
is the first area where I feel like I didn't explore every nook and cranny. Didn't meet any NPCs. Should I revisit and wander around more?

No boss either?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom