• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBart

Note that weapons degrade REALLY fucking fast if you swing at corpses / enemies that are already dead. Try killing an enemy and swinging at its corpse and keep an eye on the weapon durability.

Oh man that's totally it! Thanks!
Why does that even happen?

zkylon

zkylewd
Rings don't stack and seeing as you are in Iron keep, Titanite should become a bit more abundant relatively soon.
hmm thanks

got another question

i seem to do really low damage to bosses when i'm summoned, like maybe 25 damage per hit, sometimes like 80 at best, while i see people roll for like 400 in one hit

is it that just how summoning works?

i always feel like i'm not doing anything other than taking aggro

p3n

Oh man that's totally it! Thanks!
Why does that even happen?

Seems like a small bug with the hit detection. The same happens when you hit NPC/player summons in coop. If you use an already fast degrading weapon for this you can see the durability "move" on the bar for the time the weapon travels through the summon.

NBtoaster

So uh...I'm 5 hours in at Lost Bastille and only just learned of the lady near the Majula bonfire that gives you the estus flask and levels you up. oops

I had just lost 20000 souls too (had no idea what to do with them) :L

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The shaded ruins fork is where ya want to start. Try taking all the paths...

Thanks dude, i know this is a souls game and all, but does the game give any indication that you had to go back to shaded ruins? :/

Speaking of which, I also need to go there and
talk to the scorpion dude, and get that wolf helmet in the fog forest

What is the strategy in Iron Keep after the second bonfire? I really hate those turtles.

For the first duo? Let them swing and get a few attacks in before you roll away and repeat. For the ones in the bigger room
you can drop down the platform they are standing on with the lever.

I need some recommendations on end-game weapons to use. My mace+9 is starting to get old. I'm at 42 str 20 dex. Already got
Pursuers greatsword
but haven't upgraded it yet.

zkylon

zkylewd
So uh...I'm 5 hours in at Lost Bastille and only just learned of the lady near the Majula bonfire that gives you the estus flask and levels you up. oops

lol how do you even miss that

Facism

The £20 i paid for the PC version is sweet. The £5.50 of GMG credit i've got for just playing the fucking game is also sweet.

Has any of you had any success with ENB? It looks absolutely stunning, but I am getting crashes on startup. I guess it is not compatible with all GPUs yet as Boris had only few days to work on it.

Cyborg

How do people even mis this? I dont understand it.......dont you search/explore an area before going to the next?

Hypron

If I recall, she's standing by a tree a little ways off when you first roll into town, so she could be missed if you're not specifically looking for her

Yeah I missed her at the beginning of my first playthrough. Which is weird because I spent quite a bit of time exploring Majula, I don't know how I missed her.

elfinke

I take it the latest patch is what is responsible for the fuzzy, unfound ('???') bonfires appearing in my game? Thought I had broken Dark a Souls II for a moment there...

Wanny

Note that weapons degrade REALLY fucking fast if you swing at corpses / enemies that are already dead. Try killing an enemy and swinging at its corpse and keep an eye on the weapon durability.

This. I don't know if it's a feature or a bug, but it really fucks your durability. if I do this 4-5 times with the Halberd, it's already broken.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah smelter demon's a proper boss, he's making me mad, i like that

i'm not sure if my rapier's dealing proper damage or not tho. like it's dealing only about 120 damage per attack, which seems reasonable but still, it's about half what was dealing before :I

Vitor711

Just beat the game, really enjoyed it, disappointed in some of the weapons.
I felt the boss weapons just weren't that good compared to my regular mace that I started with as a knight (once fully upgraded), was disappointed with most of the weapons that needed twinkling titanite as well, except for the dranglaec sword as my backup when my mace broke.
After finishing I helped a bunch of people with the final boss to get a bunch of souls, have like 2.5M soul memory now and tons of fully upgraded weapons. Not sure if I want to do NG+ or not. Leaning towards not, but we'll see.

Ha, had the same issue.

The best weapons I have so far didn't come from bosses. Currently rolling with a +10 Great Club and am laying waste to everything except flash mobs. That S scaling when it comes to Str. is brutal. Then I switch to the fire broadsword I got in the first 3 hours (!) of the game for the quicker foes. Upgraded too of course.

Currently spec-ing my current so I can use the Black Knight Halberd I found. Bought a bunch of boss weapons but they have all been pretty underwhelming
apart from an upgraded Smelter Demon sword

This. I don't know if it's a feature or a bug, but it really fucks your durability. if I do this 4-5 times with the Halberd, it's already broken.

Yeah, I had 3 weapons break on the run to the
Spider Boss
because of that. It's got to be a bug because it's brutal.

zkylon

zkylewd
Smelter Demon's the only boss I raged enough at to summon for. Fuck that guy.
i don't think he's that bad, it's just that his swipe attack is kind of finnicky. i manage to easily get untouched by the samurai knights before the boss by just dodging their attacks but him for some reason gives me trouble

i think i should start putting some points into maybe dex and str. left both at 20 for now and just got a lot of endurance but that might be what's keeping my weapons from hitting hard enough?

SoundLad

Not sure why some people think that the bosses in this game are less memorable than the bosses in DS1. I think the opposite. Is it because there's more bosses so each one feels less important?
DS1 had 3x Asylum Demon, Bed of Chaos and Discharge to name the worst offenders, haven't met anything that is "worse" in DS2 (maybe the
rat boss
?)

Sid

For the first duo? Let them swing and get a few attacks in before you roll away and repeat. For the ones in the bigger room

I need some recommendations on end-game weapons to use. My mace+9 is starting to get old. I'm at 42 str 20 dex. Already got
Pursuers greatsword
I just rolled and dodged till the attack window appeared,it worked,that lever is clever though.

NBtoaster

How do people even mis this? I dont understand it.......dont you search/explore an area before going to the next?

I had explored all of Majula. I talked to the merchant, talked to the cat, killed the piggies, unlocked the blacksmith, got the stuff in the mansion, checked out the covenants, tried the sewer path, did what I could at the place blocked by the statue..and still missed her. She doesn't stick out. Pretty sure I went near that area with the tree too.

cm osi

yeah smelter demon's a proper boss, he's making me mad, i like that

i'm not sure if my rapier's dealing proper damage or not tho. like it's dealing only about 120 damage per attack, which seems reasonable but still, it's about half what was dealing before :I

he's a fire demon so you can try witht the gold pine resin for a little bump in damage

Any tips for the spellcasters in Shrine? Those guys are causing me problems.

ShrineAmana_20.jpg

eot

Banned
Iron Keep
I wanted this area to be a bit longer. When I first got there I was expecting a huge castle, but there are only a handful of rooms. It didn't live up to how intimidating it seems at first. I still liked it but I think it could've been a classic area if there was more to it.

Fuck the red phantom who sometimes appears at the end of the bridge! He could land his leaping attack with pinpoint accuracy if he did it from space. I rolled so far clear of it but he just magnetised to me and decided he needed to take all my HP :(

Great Club 2-hand R2 = flatten any NPC phantom. Almost feels like cheating.

Vitor711

Pursuers greatsword

With that much Str., upgrade the Large Club. Seriously. It's light, has INSANE Str. scaling (S rank) and is super fast.

Durante

Does anyone know how the "Beyond the Bonfire" page works? Specifically, what does the covenant display actually count?

Because if you sum up all the people in all the covenants on each platform you get 167153 on PC, 155692 on PS3 and 62031 on 360.

zkylon

zkylewd
he's a fire demon so you can try witht the gold pine resin for a little bump in damage
yea i was thinking about it but i only have two and i don't feel too confident about spending my resins

i'm at like 70k soul memory, dunno if that's high or not, but i feel like i could use some more damage, so i might farm these guys a bit and try to get about 30 dex or something

i recently got the uchigatana and i'm thinking about it, but since i'm at 20-20 i could easily go for a str build

i just don't really like slow weapons which is why i was kind of unsure about what to level

Zafir

Can you do anything to speed the large club up then? I tried it last night and just felt it was ridiculously slow. R1 was useless because the animation took so long that the enemy would sometimes move out of it. Or should you just be using R2 since that's a swing not a slam down?

cm osi

yea i was thinking about it but i only have two and i don't feel too confident about spending my resins

i'm at like 70k soul memory, dunno if that's high or not, but i feel like i could use some more damage, so i might farm these guys a bit and try to get about 30 dex or something

i recently got the uchigatana and i'm thinking about it, but since i'm at 20-20 i could easily go for a str build

i just don't really like slow weapons which is why i was kind of unsure about what to level

if you're at iron keep you should have some fragrant branch of yore. you can take a trip to the woods and buy gold pine resin from the head of vengarl. it's 1500 each

zkylon

zkylewd
if you're at iron keep you should have some fragrant branch of yore. you can take a trip to the woods and buy gold pine resin from the head of vengarl. it's 1500 each
ah that's great, i'll do just that

i was thinking about infusing my rapier too but i don't want to commit on anything yet since i haven't found a weapon i really really like so far

elfinke

Finally defeated Smelt room boss that isn't the demon
Pursuer
v2. Turns out tanking him is hard mode. The instant I changed to <75% equip load I fucking destroyed him. I like that, made me change up my load out and play style a bit.

cm osi

ah that's great, i'll do just that

i was thinking about infusing my rapier too but i don't want to commit on anything yet since i haven't found a weapon i really really like so far

i stick with resins, you have a stronger weapon and you can infuse it whatever you need at the moment.

eot

Banned
Can you do anything to speed the large club up then? I tried it last night and just felt it was ridiculously slow. R1 was useless because the animation took so long that the enemy would sometimes move out of it. Or should you just be using R2 since that's a swing not a slam down?

You just have to play differently, if you block -> attack you'll probably get hit. Back off and let the enemies walk into your attacks.

Temidien

Neo Member
Messed around with the White Soapstone for the first time this morning (set it down in front of the
Heide Knight
on a whim while farming that area) and was hoping you guys could answer some questions:

Is there any way to cancel being summoned by another player (when the message pops up saying you're about to enter their world)? Is there any way to leave a player's world once you've entered it (with or without consequence)?

Is there any disadvantage to fast-traveling to an easy area, throwing down your mark, getting summoned, and re-entering your world with full health/humanity?

Does weapon degradation progress while you're in someone else's world?

Thanks, guys!

zkylon

zkylewd
i stick with resins, you have a stronger weapon and you can infuse it whatever you need at the moment.
yeah that makes sense

i haven't gone into shaded woods yet aside from talking to stones lady and i might make a trip there and try to find me some cool stuff

la_briola

Messed around with the White Soapstone for the first time this morning (set it down in front of the
Heide Knight
on a whim while farming that area) and was hoping you guys could answer some questions:

Is there any way to cancel being summoned by another player (when the message pops up saying you're about to enter their world)? Is there any way to leave a player's world once you've entered it (with or without consequence)?

Is there any disadvantage to fast-traveling to an easy area, throwing down your mark, getting summoned, and re-entering your world with full health/humanity?

Thanks, guys!
Black Separation Crystal

PvP Usage

Used to send summoned White Phantoms back to their own world.
Used to leave the host's world as a summoned or invading Phantom.
Using this as an ally will give you +1 Sin in the Book of the Guilty.
If you are the host using it allows you to see your phantoms' online victories

PvE Usage

Used to send summoned NPC Phantoms back to their own world.
Banished NPCs can not be re-summoned to the same world, even after resting at a bonfire.
Quit / reload to make their signs appear again.

edit: These where the rules in Dark Souls.

Zafir

You just have to play differently, if you block -> attack you'll probably get hit. Back off and let the enemies walk into your attacks.
Hmm right, may give it another try. I don't usually go for 2h stuff because I like being more nimble.

Was wanting the sun sword but it seems to take a while getting the 20 sunbro medals.

Garcia

I've become a master of binocular sniping. Even so, it's a little disappointing that most enemies won't register a hit unless you're somehow closer to them.

zkylon

zkylewd
Heide Knight

Thanks, guys!
- i don't think so. you can leave using the black separation stone but i think that makes you sinful

- no disadvantages that i know of

- yup, but if you beat the boss your weapons get fixed!

Temidien

Neo Member
- i don't think so. you can leave using the black separation stone but i think that makes you sinful

- no disadvantages that i know of

- yup, but if you beat the boss your weapons get fixed!

Great, thanks!

Also, does clearing out enemies in another player's world subtract from the maximum number of spawns you have in your world? Seems like this would be a relatively simple workaround for the spawn caps issue without using a bonfire ascetic.

LeBart

I don't know if someone brought this up already but this mod is pretty cool. It completely removes the mouse cursor from the game, and it launches GeDoSaTo and the game in just one click.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know if someone brought this up already but this mod is pretty cool. It completely removes the mouse cursor from the game, and it launches GeDoSaTo and the game in just one click.

unfortunately that mod hides your regular cursor when you alt-tab too so i don't love it :(

Great, thanks!

Also, does clearing out enemies in another player's world subtract from the maximum number of spawns you have in your world? Seems like this would be a relatively simple workaround for the spawn caps issue without using a bonfire ascetic.
dunno about that friend but i imagine those don't count towards your own clear count, as they don't drop normal items either

Don't feel bad, I missed her as well.

You know why I probably missed her though? Just thought of this, but I saw some screenshots where she was hanging out by the fire. Because she wasn't there when I first set foot in Majula myself, I immediately assumed that I probably needed to encounter her in some of the first areas to get her to go back to Majula.

Of course, that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom