• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
So uh...I'm 5 hours in at Lost Bastille and only just learned of the lady near the Majula bonfire that gives you the estus flask and levels you up. oops

I had just lost 20000 souls too (had no idea what to do with them) :L
Don't feel bad, a lot of people miss that, I'm sure. I wonder how many people figured out that the little number "1" by the travel destinations indicate the NewGame+ level of that area and not the number of travels you have remaining (what I initially thought, thank god the game never attempts to explain that!)

lol how do you even miss that
Most people talk to NPCs until they start repeating themselves. She starts the "you can now access my menu" line the 4th or 5th time you talk to her and the first few words of that line "Bearer of the curse" are repeated lines from earlier dialog. Many people, I think, will walk away from her mid speech thinking they exhausted her dialog.

It's bad design that punishes players who were not following the game pre-release and are not OCD enough to go through several repeated lines from an NPC before they move on.

All right, as I continue, I'm having increasing amount of trouble with the bosses. Still doable, but it takes me a try or two before I succeed. That said, I haven't even upgraded any of my equipment yet and I'm guessing it's because of that. The reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I'm STILL using the cleric's starter Mace and haven't really been able to find anything better than that (Well, there is the Large Club, but its moveset is garbage) and I keep thinking that I don't want to waste upgrade items on equipment I won't need for much longer. I am also still rocking the Drangleic set as that seems to be way better than anything I have now. I keep wanting to delay upgrading everything, but getting the feeling that my equipment is starting to fall behind.

My question is: How big a difference does upgrading your equipment make? If I were to upgrade my starter mace to +10, would it make a massive or a relatively insignificant difference? Should I just go ahead and buff up my equipment?

The starter mace is an amazing weapon. Get it to +10 asap.. Weapon upgrades are the biggest factor in your overall damage output.

Anyone have any luck with the blue cracked orbs? I've tried a few different places and still can't find anyone. Blue Sentinels seems like a pretty useless covenant now.

Gattsu25

Banned
All right, as I continue, I'm having increasing amount of trouble with the bosses. Still doable, but it takes me a try or two before I succeed. That said, I haven't even upgraded any of my equipment yet and I'm guessing it's because of that. The reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I'm STILL using the cleric's starter Mace and haven't really been able to find anything better than that (Well, there is the Large Club, but its moveset is garbage) and I keep thinking that I don't want to waste upgrade items on equipment I won't need for much longer. I am also still rocking the Drangleic set as that seems to be way better than anything I have now. I keep wanting to delay upgrading everything, but getting the feeling that my equipment is starting to fall behind.

My question is: How big a difference does upgrading your equipment make? If I were to upgrade my starter mace to +10, would it make a massive or a relatively insignificant difference? Should I just go ahead and buff up my equipment?
At least upgrade your gear while the upgrade material is still titanite shards. After a later boss (Spoiler without directly naming a boss, item, or area)
(there is also an item in the same region that you need to deliver to a blacksmith), the NPCs will start selling infinite quantities of both the large and small shards
. Just phantom up to get the souls to buy more.

krakov

Not sure why some people think that the bosses in this game are less memorable than the bosses in DS1. I think the opposite. Is it because there's more bosses so each one feels less important?
DS1 had 3x Asylum Demon, Bed of Chaos and Discharge to name the worst offenders, haven't met anything that is "worse" in DS2 (maybe the
rat boss
?)

Instead of pointing out a few underwhelming bosses in DS1 you could tell us about your memorable DS2 encounters. Some bosses might not be "worse" but still less memorable.

In general, I find the DS2 bosses lacking in looks, patterns, variety and presentation. Seems like a lot of them just hang out in an arena idle until the player shows up.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im a level 79 sorcerer following a guide I found on reddit, here is my current level
4oiNmec.png

The guide tells me just to upgrade ATN, INT and FTH from this point on, problem is I feel so damned underpowered, thinking of a respec but I dont know where I would put my points, any suggestions?

Is there anything special i should do with my first branch? Thinking about using it on the
boss soul
guy

Ah ok. I'm still in NG so that explains it. Hoping to get to the BellBros today to try something a little different.

You'll have fun with the BellBros. It's instant invasions/summons all day every day.

I would use the branch on the lady at the lever, since it opens up a lot of new areas for you. Boss Souls don't really give you a lot of useful stuff.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, it's been working really well for me and maybe I'm just getting that feeling because it's a starter weapon. I've been holding out on upgrading for so long that waiting a little bit more felt like a wrong move. I'll go ahead and upgrade it then. I'm sure it'll be a while before I get another decent weapon.

I'll upgrade them until it gets to chunks, just to be sure.
Do you mean the blacksmith that mutters about needing an ember of some kind? I think I've pretty much cleared that area.

Yeah, there is an item in (naming names now)
the Iron Keep area, before you fight the Smelter demon. The item is the Dull Ember. You have to make a few jumps in order to get to it (it's near one of the archers in the open area before the boss). Once you Deliver the dull ember, and kill the smelter demon you can get infinite titanite shards. The muttering blacksmith will sell large shards, and the girl that is enamored with ore will sell the small shards.

Vitor711

Ait, I will check them out. I already got the Large Club so will probably try that one first.

*Do it Gif*

It's now my most powerful weapon, including partially upgraded boss gear. And it's so easy to upgrade (all normal titanite). It hits hard and fast and is amazing for one on one encounters against armoured enemies (of which there's a lot late game). Also does a butt-tonne of damage against most bosses.

No great for crowd control (unless you want to dual-hand it or use the long wind up on the heavy attack) but it's my go-to 1v1 weapon.

Tiops

Im a level 79 sorcerer following a guide I found on reddit, here is my current level
4oiNmec.png

The guide tells me just to upgrade ATN, INT and FTH from this point on, problem is I feel so damned underpowered, thinking of a respec but I dont know where I would put my points, any suggestions?
You should have some good hexes already. Resonant Soul and Great Resonant Soul are fucking awesome, but you shoul increase more Faith to balance it with Int to increase your Dark bonus. You only have access to great sorceries late in the game, and the awesome staves for sorceries also take some time to show up, so early game the best option is to focus on hexes.

Arjen

4oiNmec.png

Are you focussing on Hexes, Magic or Sorceries? What spells are you using?

Garcia

We were doing the most amazing triple subro raid in FoFG and I just had to die in the most stupid way. Got pushed down the giant sword by a mob. :'(

lunlunqq

4oiNmec.png

IMHO, that many points into ATN is a waste. You don't have that many good spells early on, so you really don't need that many slots. I think at your stage 25 ATN or even just 20 would be enough. Use one of those rings to gain an extra slot if you need to.

Also, if you are not hell bend to start hexing early on, then I'd say do not upgrade both INT and FTH at the same time. Start with, say, INT first and do not put points into FTH until your INT is at least 40 (or 50 if you want to use the best sorcery stuff). That way you have much better damage output with either sorceries or miracles; then you can think about hexes later.

L.O.R.D

just reached Weapon smith Ornifex
she want great souls for her weapons
if i gave her,will i be able to progress through the game ?

You'll have fun with the BellBros. It's instant invasions/summons all day every day.

I would use the branch on the lady at the lever, since it opens up a lot of new areas for you. Boss Souls don't really give you a lot of useful stuff.

Should be interesting, at least it'll get me some Titanite. Thanks for the info on the branch.

is there any other places that require the souls too ?

No. You either consume them for souls or trade them for weapons. Some souls can be traded for one out of several options though.
There is also a second person wich will trade other boss souls for other weapons.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Are you focussing on Hexes, Magic or Sorceries? What spells are you using?

Bare in mind im super new to Dark souls, im mostly using Soul Arrows and Lightning bolts

So having finished the game I'd like to ask others:

1) Most loved area in the game?
2) Most hated area in the game?
1) No Man's Wharf, though I wish FROM was more dickish here with how it changes your playstyle. I'd mention Lost Bastille too if it didn't lack polish.
2) The Gutter. It isn't a difficult area, but it's dreadfully dull and devoid of any personality. Should've based it entirely around Black Gulch instead.

is it just my impression or titanite is super limited in this game?

maybe i haven't gotten to a farm place yet but seems so

edit: also do rings with the same name stack? like a covetous snake ring +1 and a regular one?
The way the early availability of Titanite has been balanced is disappointing for me too. You're right to say that they're limited and eventually you'll have no trouble acquiring ores for what it's worth, but during my playthrough it still took me approximately 20 - 30 hours until I had enough legroom to repeat what I did in Dark Souls 1. In that game, I liked to test out various weapons (or shields) to see if I could find something to replace my mains, but with me having been unable to properly upgrade new gear that I did end up liking, I was forced to stick to whatever equipment I had first much longer than I originally intended due to the fact I didn't have enough materials for other weapons to keep up in damage output (or reduction). I guess FROM thought it was foolish of the player to expect that it wouldn't take so long to find more Titanites.

L.O.R.D

No. You either consume them for souls or trade them for weapons. Some souls can be traded for one out of several options though.
There is also a second person wich will trade other boss souls for other weapons.

so, i have a choice to trade with her or with him ...?

Adding yet another NG+ red phantom to my shit list... That bastard in front of Drangleic Castle! That spin2win, roll through anything, infinite stamina BASTARD!

Not having any ranged attacks in this build is making things tricky.

Tiops

Bare in mind im super new to Dark souls, im mostly using Soul Arrows and Lightning bolts
You shouls be using hexes with your current build. The NPC at the first bonfire in Hunstman Copse sells some good ones (and will give you some equipment if you talk to him, because you have more than 20 int and faith).

With 30 faith the miracle seller in Heide Tower will give you a great chime for Hexes.

And Hex damage scales with your lowest stat between INT and FTH. You should put some points in faith now to balance it with your int and increase your Dark bonus.

eot

Banned
I used the Soul of the Last Giant because things were rough in the beginning and now I kinda want the weapon you get from his soul haha. I figured I wouldn't want any of them.

4oiNmec.png

I am doing a Sorcery build for the first time and I think I am going to build my guy stat wise.

• Vigor = 15
  • Endurance = 7
  • Vitality = 10
  • Attunement = 40
  • Strength = 3
  • Dexterity = 7
  • Adaptability = 10
  • Intelligence = 55
  • Faith = 55

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I am doing a Sorcery build for the first time and I think I am going to build my guy stat wise.

• Vigor = 15
  • Endurance = 7
  • Vitality = 10
  • Attunement = 40
  • Strength = 3
  • Dexterity = 7
  • Adaptability = 10
  • Intelligence = 55
  • Faith = 55

You're going to have a hard time without a 100% phys defense shield, I'd get 12 str so you can use the one MacDuff sells.

ittoryu

Bought this game (got on PS3 too) and... I can't play it because the DS4Tool just crashes everything and I have to turn off the PC completely as it's just not responding anymore.

I am so angry.

Arjen

If you're new making a Hexer takes some serious planning imo, because you need to dump points into a lot of stats. Try to focus on Magic or Faith for now, lose some points in Att 20 (should be enough) Up your Vigor a bit, and i would pump some points into strength so you can 1 Hand a mace, upgrade that and infuse it later with either lightning or magic.

zkylon

zkylewd
The way the early availability of Titanite has been balanced is disappointing for me too. You're right to say that they're limited and eventually you'll have no trouble acquiring ores for what it's worth, but during my playthrough it still took me approximately 20 - 30 hours until I had enough legroom to repeat what I did in Dark Souls 1. In that game, I liked to test out various weapons (or shields) to see if I could find something to replace my mains, but with me having been unable to properly upgrade new gear that I did end up liking, I was forced to stick to whatever equipment I had first much longer than I originally intended due to the fact I didn't have enough materials for other weapons to keep up in damage output (or reduction). I guess FROM thought it was foolish of the player to expect that it wouldn't take so long to find more Titanites.
yeah i just wish they would at least just put an overpriced vendor or something early on so i know they're unlimited or not

i've long since exhausted the 10 you can buy off the first blacksmith dude and stone lady so i'm just dealing with what i can find

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
First time I've ragequitted, fighting
Nashandra
, died a couple times, cursed down to half health, no effigies, I die with her health at the final, final possible slither of health, to the extent of it being invisible on the bar. Trying again tomorrow.

zma1013

Where do I go after brightstone? Vague answer preferably

Go back to Majula and try one of the other pathways you haven't tried yet. There are 4 directions to go from Majula. Technically, one of the pathways eventually leads you to an area you've already been, but going that way and talking to a certain person will switch that path to take you to a different location.

Mistel

Banned
Nashandra
, died a couple times, cursed down to half health, no effigies, I die with her health at the final, final possible slither of health, to the extent of it being invisible on the bar. Trying again tomorrow.
You can get rid of those orbs she spawns you know?

Shinjica

Nashandra

Strange, she is the easiest boss in Dark Souls 2

I was wondering is swinging the greatsword erratic for others and not just me? Ill be locked on to an enemy and all of a sudden when I attack I do it in the complete wrong direction.

Is this some weird Dark Souls thing or is it a bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom