• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering is swinging the greatsword erratic for others and not just me? Ill be locked on to an enemy and all of a sudden when I attack I do it in the complete wrong direction.

Is this some weird Dark Souls thing or is it a bug?

For huge weapons, even when locked on, they will attack in the direction you hold the analogue stick.

You're going to have a hard time without a 100% phys defense shield, I'd get 12 str so you can use the one MacDuff sells.
I was thinking about that, but I decided to go with only sorcery.
Strange, she is the easiest boss in Dark Souls 2
vhLSqei.gif

I went Sorc on PS3 felt easy in the beginning but later on u start feeling.
playing Knight on PC u start weak but u start 1-2 hitting enemies as u progress.

there's hardly any staff mid-game

So, I've been focusing on strength because I have a soft spot for gigantic swords, and strength was the go-to stat for mega swords in DS1 but I'm noticing greatswords seem to require dex as well, this time around.

I don't want to be stuck with giant clubs and the like. Am I safe sticking in the confines of a "normal" warrior build?

Vitor711

Well that's stupid.

It's annoying but not stupid. Let's you redirect if an enemy sneaks up on you. I've just learned to take my finger off the stick when attacking with slower weapons. Plus, if you're swinging a huge sword around, you'd best be doing so after you're certain an enemy has completed their combo/you're out of range. You definitely have enough time to pick a spot and just hit 'em.

zma1013

So, I've been focusing on strength because I have a soft spot for gigantic swords, and strength was the go-to stat for mega swords in DS1 but I'm noticing greatswords seem to require dex as well, this time around.

I don't want to be stuck with giant clubs and the like. Am I safe sticking in the confines of a "normal" warrior build?

Do something like 30 strength and 20 dex and you can wield a lot of the weapons. At 30 you can still use some large weapons and with the other 20 dex, you can still use regular swords and the like if you want.

For what? Cursing?

Curse in Dark Souls 2 is nothing compared of that in the first game. Even if you get cursed you're still alive

There's a difference between her not being as hard as everyone says and being the easiest in the game. There are bosses WAY easier than her. You're exaggerating greatly

It's annoying but not stupid. Let's you redirect if an enemy sneaks up on you. I've just learned to take my finger off the stick when attacking with slower weapons. Plus, if you're swinging a huge sword around, you'd best be doing so after you're certain an enemy has completed their combo/you're out of range. You definitely have enough time to pick a spot and just hit 'em.

It can be frustrating because it's a separate control scheme from the rest of the game's weapons.

All right, thank you. That said, I decided to revisit
Doors of Pharos
and a large creature there dropped a
Mastodon Halbert
and it looks pretty awesome. Going to go with that for now.

That said, anyone know whether it's a good str weapon?

Yeah it's pretty damn good. I use it with my str/int build. The moveset is really good and the triple spin move can one shot people if you have high enough damage. Durability is kinda shitty though the spin moves use a lot of durability, so make sure to use the bracing knuckle ring with it.

Does anyone know how the "Beyond the Bonfire" page works? Specifically, what does the covenant display actually count?

Because if you sum up all the people in all the covenants on each platform you get 167153 on PC, 155692 on PS3 and 62031 on 360.

There has been little discussion about this site here, maybe because it is a little spoilery if you aren't done yet, but there is some interesting data there.

I am pretty sure it is the number of people actively members of those covenants. We know the game sold ~350k in US on both console platforms and over 300k in Japan (no idea on EU) so it appears most people do not join covenants at all. Maybe we can use this to estimate sales numbers on this ratio...

Check out the other multiplayer page and COOP is absolutely destroying the ps360 numbers after less than a week of data compared to a month and a half. I think the PC version far outsold other platforms.

Arjen

For what? Cursing?

Curse in Dark Souls 2 is nothing compared of that in the first game. Even if you get cursed you're still alive

It can stack up pretty fast, i'm not saying she's hard, but she's far from the easiest boss.

Dragonrider
Old Dragonslayer
Skeleton Lords
Covetous Demon
Demon of Song

All much easier.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How does the "backstab" mechanic work? I thought it was standing behind an enemy and pressing "RB". I get success on this like 1 out of 15 times. Do I have to keep the movement stick neutral? Do I need to hold or tap "RB"?

eot

Banned
That's just not true when Covetous Demon exists.

He's pretty easy but
when he unequipped all my gear and I went down to 50% health things got interesting.

How does the "backstab" mechanic work? I thought it was standing behind an enemy and pressing "RB". I get success on this like 1 out of 15 times. Do I have to keep the movement stick neutral? Do I need to hold or tap "RB"?

I seem to get more of them from the side. Also, from what I can tell you can't get a backstab when the enemy is in a recovery animation from your previous attack. Don't think it makes a difference if you hold or tab, just gotta be in the right spot facing the right way.

What the hell at big weapons aiming in the direction you're holding in lock on mode. Just started using the Black Knight Great Sword and silly shit happens when I'm trying to make the space for a nice heavy attack.

If I wanted to aim on my own I wouldn't be using lock on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let's be honest here. Did anybody have trouble with Dragonrider?

She just happens to be weak to range, but is a nightmare if you are melee and can't get rid of the orbs.
Well yeah,
encountered him before even finding the Forest of Fallen Giants for the first time, lacking even the stat requirement for the weapon I was usuing.
Decided it was intended for a little later on and discovered I was right. :p

Actually got him down to under 75% health after a few tries of pathetic wittling away though, probably could have done it if I devoted a couple hours to it.

Man, I fell asleep crazy early last night and didn't play at all. Hopefully gonna get to play a ton this evening. My first order of business is leveling up to the point where I can use power stance with my equipped weapons.

zkylon

zkylewd
you have to be a bit to the left of their back and just press up+light attack

i'm not sure if the up is needed but i always do

it's just that the angle isn't straight up on their backs

LiK

What the hell at big weapons aiming in the direction you're holding in lock on mode. Just started using the Black Knight Great Sword and silly shit happens when I'm trying to make the space for a nice heavy attack.

If I wanted to aim on my own I wouldn't be using lock on.

Yea, not sure if it's a bug but I found that happened quite a bit when I was using the Great Club and Zweihander. Totally fucked me up quite a bit especially against a mob.

Let's be honest here. Did anybody have trouble with Dragonrider?

She just happens to be weak to range, but is a nightmare if you are melee and can't get rid of the orbs.

Only issue i had with him the first time was him poking me through a hole in the wall. 2nd time was basically just strafing and spanking.

i think the hitbox for this is really small, depending on the enemy. You literally need to be right behind them.

Durante

Seeing all this build discussion, am I the only one building my character at least as much for style and principle as utility?

My Sorceress has 40 INT and 5 strength because she would never be caught dead with a shield. Or helmet for that matter. I carry a Pyromancy flame in my off-hand, but just for the visual effect :p

I don't touch physical weapons. Style Souls is hard Souls.

eot

Banned
The jump attack on the Zwei looks wrong. Not sure what it is about it. Certainly doesn't look mo-capped. I would've been fine with them keeping the animation from the first game since this new one just emulates it anyway.

LiK

Seeing all this build discussion, am I the only one building my character at least as much for style and principle as utility?

My Sorceress has 40 INT and 5 strength because she would never be caught dead with a shield. Or helmet for that matter. I carry a Pyromancy flame in my off-hand, but just for the visual effect :p

I don't touch physical weapons.

Whatever you like. I like hitting things.

Vitor711

I'm frequently finding myself in a style battle - I will often equip stuff that looks cooler even if the stats are worse. I then go for a quick wardrobe change whenever I reach a boss door....

Currently spent a bunch of souls/items upgrading a late game axe, not because it's potentially the best item around, but because it looks freakin' awesome. It's going to be my co-op item of choice. Just to show off really.

Forkball

Got past BL. The invasions are pretty ridiculous. I had a guy invade me, so I summoned someone. Then ANOTHER guy invaded me, so it was 2v2. My ally died fairly quickly, but he weakened one enough where I could finish him off with my mace. Then it was 1v1 against the first invader, who had two whips like he was Indiana Jones or something. We were both really low on health, and one wrong move would've spelt doom. Fortunately, he made a wrong move, and I backstabbed him with my mace. What a satisfying animation.

Also for the first time in the entire game, I am using a shield. Did you know these things can BLOCK? Also one handing your weapon makes you use less stamina. Fascinating stuff.

Then I died to
those dogs and that scripted invader beneath the bonfire.

I just started a sorcerer as well and put everything in int and attunement so far (4 slots). I'm finding it rather challenging when I run out of soul arrows just using a dagger. I assume it gets easier at some point when you get more spells? I only have 30 soul arrows and 15 great ones. No idea though first time playing as a mage in souls. So question. I see you can buy soul arrows at 2nd bon fire. Do they stack on what I started with? So if I buy the 31 she has I'll now have 61 at my disposal at each of bon fire?

elfinke

I'm frequently finding myself in a style battle - I will often equip stuff that looks cooler even if the stats are worse. I then go for a quick wardrobe change whenever I reach a boss door....

Currently spent a bunch of souls/items upgrading a late game axe, not because it's potentially the best item around, but because it looks freakin' awesome. It's going to be my co-op item of choice. Just to show off really.

... Ever equip all your favourite looking gear, and then just stand idly (with the odd gesture thrown in) around a bonfire, hoping your apparition appears elsewhere?

Vitor711

It can be frustrating because it's a separate control scheme from the rest of the game's weapons.

Absolutely at first. It took me a while to realise what the hell was going on. Once you get used to it, it makes sense. But yeah, wish they would warn you about that.

Durante

I just started a sorcerer as well and put everything in int and attunement so far (4 slots). I'm finding it rather challenging when I run out of soul arrows just using a dagger. I assume it gets easier at some point when you get more spells? I only have 30 soul arrows and 15 great ones. No idea though first time playing as a mage in souls
Well, first you get another 30 soul arrows at the first merchant. Once you have 60 + whatever else you got attuned it's generally possible to go from each bonfire to each other without running out.

I don't even have a physical weapon in any slot at this point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just started a sorcerer as well and put everything in int and attunement so far (4 slots). I'm finding it rather challenging when I run out of soul arrows just using a dagger. I assume it gets easier at some point when you get more spells? I only have 30 soul arrows and 15 great ones. No idea though first time playing as a mage in souls

I've got a SL 160 Sorc and can tell you that you absolutely need to invest in the stats necessary to use a reasonable weapon, sorceries alone will not cut it. I use a +10 fire longsword to go along with my sorceries and that works quite well.

Well, first you get another 30 soul arrows at the first merchant. Once you have 60 + whatever else you got attuned it's generally possible to go from each bonfire to each other without running out.

I don't even have a physical weapon in any slot at this point.

Ah ok. I was actually just wondering this! thx

Levyne

Banned
I struggled on the first Dragonrider but I went to that area first and maybe I was underleveled.

I know "underleveled" might be a little meaningless since people do SL1 runs often, but I guess I wasn't patient enough to chip away at his health and not take risks.

By the time you meet 2 of them later, I was dealing a lot more damage and the fight was fairly easy.

Durante

I've got a SL 160 Sorc and can tell you that you absolutely need to invest in the stats necessary to use a reasonable weapon, sorceries alone will not cut it. I use a +10 fire longsword to go along with my sorceries and that works quite well.
Which part are you thinking of where sorceries didn't cut it? Do you mean specifically sorceries or magic in general? I mean, I do use Hexes as well. I guess if I have to I could also use pyromancy or even miracles. But physical weapons? Eww.

Shinjica

I've done a pure sorcerer build without weapon and, apart from the
Chariot
other bosses and regular enemy were no match for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom