• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Which part are you thinking of where sorceries didn't cut it? Do you mean specifically sorceries or magic in general? I mean, I do use Hexes as well. I guess if I have to I could also use pyromancy or even miracles. But physical weapons? Eww.

My Faith/Pyro build was quite amazing. I will spar you if you like!

Horray, my account finally got validated. It's been torture watching this thread but not being able to reply.

Specifically, I wanted to share my experience with SLI. For me, the 0x02506405 profile works perfectly. The entire screen flickers for about 5 seconds when I first load into the game, but after that it's rock solid. 0 slowdowns, 0 flickering in ~25 hours of play. I should note that I have 3 cards, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the flickering/slowdown some people are experiencing. GPU usage is about 40% on each card downsampling from 4k + all of GeDoSaTo's bells and whistles minus DoF.

I've got a SL 160 Sorc and can tell you that you absolutely need to invest in the stats necessary to use a reasonable weapon, sorceries alone will not cut it. I use a +10 fire longsword to go along with my sorceries and that works quite well.

yeah I have that sword and was thinking of using it just need the stats

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Huh. I just died with my health bar showing about 15% health.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
you have to be a bit to the left of their back and just press up+light attack

i'm not sure if the up is needed but i always do

it's just that the angle isn't straight up on their backs

i think the hitbox for this is really small, depending on the enemy. You literally need to be right behind them.

Whaaa?

Jathaine

Lightning Spears and GLS also does shit damage to them. They're tough mofos for magic users.

Imagine my surprise thinking I was hot shit walking around with 64 lightning spears and 12 GLS on deck.
Glad they are easy to backstab or I might've had some real trouble.

How does the "backstab" mechanic work? I thought it was standing behind an enemy and pressing "RB". I get success on this like 1 out of 15 times. Do I have to keep the movement stick neutral? Do I need to hold or tap "RB"?

The movement stick has to be neutral and you have to be standing in the enemy's "behind" spot, which is not always quite exactly behind them.

The big thing is that you can't be moving when you do it, that's what gets people I think.

Edit: People are saying to hit up and attack at the same time. This is wrong. You need to be right behind them standing still and, without any other input, perform a light attack.

AkuMifune

Banned
Lion Warriors in shaded woods have like 90% magic resist. My 800 damage soul spears hit them for like 15.

That's exactly where my sorcerer on PS3 realized he needed a melee weapon too.

This time with a DEX build early they drop in a few hits, but other enemies and bosses give me trouble now.

But I'm upset at the new BKH moveset. Just need to adjust I guess. Learning movesets and getting comfortable with them is more important than anything else when it comes to a weapon.

Easiest boss is congregation. There's really no matter of opinion on this. No matter what pathway you go, the boss is pathetically easy.

Beat the game a few nights ago (all bosses down), now working on company of champions playthrough.

One of the two things that stand out to me in this game is how sometimes from gets challenging mixed with tedious. This is especially noticeable when they have obscene amount of clear time before you can attempt a boss, like
Ancient Dragon, Veldt/Verrick, Duke's Dear Freja are some examples, oh and one of the giant memories was absurd where there was like 5 giants in an alley way, with two on the roof throwing pyromancy at you
. Dark Souls level design usually interconnected within itself so that bonfires weren't too far from the boss area, and there might be 2-3 enemies on the way there. The worst case I can think of is the run to four kings from firelink shrine, but that's not even half as bad as the runs I mentioned above. The question should be "can you do it?" not "can you keep doing it after it's been done?". The bosses in this game aren't that hard actually, most of my deaths came from the levels, not the bosses. I feel like From's design team took the concept of "SO YOU LIKE HARD GAMES" and went a little too crazy with it without understanding what players like. Most of these areas I would end up clearing it once, and then after dying and clearing it like 3 more times, I would just say fuck it and try to cheese the AI into getting away from the fog gate and then running in.

The second problem for me is much more minor. It seems like weapon balancing is off. Strike Damage is way too good/Slash is pointless against like 70% of the games enemies and short weapons are annoying to handle in pve against some enemies because they move backwards like 3 feet when you hit them (why?), so you can't chain combo, even if you were to wait until your animation was finished and moved up, they would have recovered and waited to hit you. This is incredibly annoying and I have no idea why they implemented this. If it was to make combat "harder", it made it more frustrating, because usually it happens on the enemies that die in 2-3 hits anyway.

Jathaine

The movement stick has to be neutral and you have to be standing in the enemy's "behind" spot, which is not always quite exactly behind them.

The big thing is that you can't be moving when you do it, that's what gets people I think.

Edit: People are saying to hit up and attack at the same time. This is wrong. You need to be right behind them standing still and, without any other input, perform a light attack.

Its definitely possible to do it without the stick being neutral. The positioning is what matters, its just that Dark Souls 2 is silly in that the enemies aren't always actually facing the direction you 'see' them facing. Its like having the latency of an online game at all times and its pretty silly.

I dont know if this was posted but heres some Dark Souls press in UK news papers:

datAsKI.jpg

Blame it on teh games essentially. Sad news regardless :(

I don't understand how anybody could look at this game as anything less than an A-level effort.

It's every bit the masterpiece that DS1 was and then some.

Vitor711

Lightning Spears and GLS also does shit damage to them. They're tough mofos for magic users.

They're not joke for melee users either. I can two shot them but if their attack hits, that's 60% of my health gone. They kill me just as fast.

And using my greatshield? 2 hits and I'm cursed.

Luckily they've got two attacks which can both be dodged so easily and the wind up on each means you can always get a hit in straight after while they're helpless.

Did I mention that might be one of my favourite areas in the game? Great enemy, creepy vibes and fun way to get there (ghost walk was cool, regardless of what people say).

I also loved gulch though so I may not be the best person to rank DS2 areas....

LiK

They're not joke for melee users either. I can two shot them but if their attack hits, that's 60% of my health gone. They kill me just as fast.

And using my greatshield? 2 hits and I'm cursed.

Luckily they've got two attacks which can both be dodged so easily and the wind up on each means you can always get a hit in straight after while they're helpless.

Did I mention that might be one of my favourite areas in the game? Great enemy, creepy vibes and fun way to get there (ghost walk was cool, regardless of what people say).

I also loved gulch though so I may not be the best person to rank DS2 areas....

Yea, I end up backstabbing but if I need to I'll do a hit and run. The best method I guess would be bow and arrows.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seeing all this build discussion, am I the only one building my character at least as much for style and principle as utility?

My Sorceress has 40 INT and 5 strength because she would never be caught dead with a shield. Or helmet for that matter. I carry a Pyromancy flame in my off-hand, but just for the visual effect :p

I don't touch physical weapons. Style Souls is hard Souls.
Right there with you Durante. In contrast I rely very little on magic, but my character thinks shields are for the weak. I picked Cleric a little for the starting miracle but mostly for the experience of slowly turning him back into an assassin.

I don't understand how anybody could look at this game as anything less than an A-level effort.

It's every bit the masterpiece that DS1 was and then some.

All three of them have aspects that make me like one over the other. Demon's Souls puzzle bosses, Dark Souls level design (I don't think anything approaches sen fortress or anor londo in this game, but at the same time nothing stoops to blighttown) are both things I like over DS2.

I hope whatever miyazaki is working on approaches how much I like the souls games.

zma1013

But I'm upset at the new BKH moveset. Just need to adjust I guess. Learning movesets and getting comfortable with them is more important than anything else when it comes to a weapon.

You also have to realize that halberds do their max damage by hitting enemies with the tip of it. If you're directly besides something and hit, you'll do shit damage because you're not hitting with the sharp end.

LiK

Backstabbing seems really finnicky. Makes me afraid to try parrying most enemies.

I don't even bother parrying in this game. The riposte animation is so slow and not satisfying. Wish they didn't make all ripostes involve stabbing down on a fallen enemy.

burgerdog

Almost a week in, 30 hours played and all I could think of at work is DS2. Bought child of light on ps4 last night and didn't even try it. :0

zma1013

Seeing all this build discussion, am I the only one building my character at least as much for style and principle as utility?

My Sorceress has 40 INT and 5 strength because she would never be caught dead with a shield. Or helmet for that matter. I carry a Pyromancy flame in my off-hand, but just for the visual effect :p

I don't touch physical weapons. Style Souls is hard Souls.

You're in for a rude awakening when someone casts a particular damning hex spell.

Right there with you Durante. In contrast I rely very little on magic, but my character thinks shields are for the weak. I picked Cleric a little for the starting miracle but mostly for the experience of slowly turning him back into an assassin.

My hexer build has the min stats to 2H a mace, but that is primarily due to starting as a deprived and needing something until magic was viable.

Gbraga

Ok, so I have 20 (?) VIG, 20 END, 17(?) VIT, 40 DEX, 22 ADP, 21 STR, everything else at the default Swordsman thing, around level 110, I think.

What should I spend points on now? Should I think about a secondary attribute to use some kind of magic or just put everything into VIG and VIT now?

Also, I plan on making a Ultra Greatsword build after I finish the game with my dual katanas and maybe NG+ with that character too, is FTH good to go with Ultra Greatsword characters or will I have to upgrade too much stuff?

I don't even bother parrying in this game. The riposte animation is so slow and not satisfying. Wish they didn't make all ripostes involve stabbing down on a fallen enemy.

I didn't like it at first either, but it's really good for PVP.

ElFly

I've got a SL 160 Sorc and can tell you that you absolutely need to invest in the stats necessary to use a reasonable weapon, sorceries alone will not cut it. I use a +10 fire longsword to go along with my sorceries and that works quite well.

The requeriments for the fire longsword are pretty low, though.

That weapon is so great. Can easily carry you through the game.

Almost a week in, 30 hours played and all I could think of at work is DS2. Bought child of light on ps4 last night and didn't even try it. :0

This is me. Exactly, right down to Child of Light.

This game. So far it's better than DkS1 to me personally, which I had about 30 hours in on PS3 and 100ish on PC. I've pretty much enjoyed every zone so far (I'm about 50% done I reckon) even T
he
G
utter
. B
lack
G
ulch
can eat a dick though.

Gbraga

is it just my impression or titanite is super limited in this game?

maybe i haven't gotten to a farm place yet but seems so

edit: also do rings with the same name stack? like a covetous snake ring +1 and a regular one?

They're kinda limited when it comes to drops and loot, but you can buy them (or farm Chunks as a bell bro). In general, buying stuff is a lot more interesting in this game, items were buffed, throwing knives were very useful early on (before I started carrying a bow around at all times).

Booshka

Well, first you get another 30 soul arrows at the first merchant. Once you have 60 + whatever else you got attuned it's generally possible to go from each bonfire to each other without running out.

I don't even have a physical weapon in any slot at this point.

I know you're dedicated to it, but put your STR to 6 and use a Dagger. Also, you don't have to use it, but try the Magic Mace 2 handed, there is an infusion that transfers INT scaling to pure physical damage, I think it would be kinda cool with a 2 handed Mace with such low STR and high INT.

Do it for Science, and the Dagger is an amazing weapon with bonkers critical damage.

zkylon

zkylewd
They're kinda limited when it comes to drops and loot, but you can buy them (or farm Chunks as a bell bro). In general, buying stuff is a lot more interesting in this game, items were buffed, throwing knives were very useful early on (before I started carrying a bow around at all times).
is there an unlimited small titanite merchant?

and yeah, throwing knives are pretty good, i used them a lot before my heavy crossbow+3 :p

Stet

Banned
Yeah forget Parrying. I tried a bit in DS1, but never got the hang of it. I'd rather try not getting hit.

I loved parrying in DS1. It seems a lot more sensitive in DS2, which means unless you have a significant amount of armour or health (and as someone with a DEX-heavy melee build that in DS1 would've relied on critical attacks I don't) it's not worth the risk.

Booshka

and yeah, throwing knives are pretty good, i used them a lot before my heavy crossbow+3 :p

Chloanne the Ore trader in Harvest Valley sells infinite small Titanite early on, and slowly increases her stock in higher grade ores as you spend souls on her and progress through the game. You can exhaust her dialogue to send her to Majuala where she will stay

Is it fun to use magic exclusively? I feel it would be a shame to miss out on the game's melee combat, though I've already meleed my way through DKS1, might spec my character more towards magic.

Gbraga

The Dagger is pretty awesome, the only reason I don't use it anymore is because it takes more time to go back to power stance, but if I was playing with only one weapon, I'd definitely keep the dagger equipped at all times.

The bow is definitely worth the trouble though, loving it in this game.

Yes, but it'll only be unlimited after you finish The Iron Keep.

Levyne

Banned
I got antsy and peeked at a trophy guide even though I am playing "blind". It's good to know that I effectively have a second playthrough to wrap up things that I missed. Before going to NG+ and ++ though I will probably scour around for treasure and stuff. Well, first I need to beat the thing :p

I am totaly stuck in D
rangleic Castle
. I am in the area following the bonfire after the
two Dragonriders
boss battle, and I just can't seem to find the way to go forward? There's a lift located next to a lever that I can't activate and a locked door, any hint?

Grief.exe

I love the look of the zwei and the moveset, but it just doesn't seem to be doing that much damage comparitively.

I have it at +9 Fire and my large club at +10 normal and the latter just tears through everything.

Cyrano

This is hogwash. Not only have I beaten the game with a Sorcerer without ever using a shield (stayed with the base STR of 3 the entire game), there's also someone who beat the game playing a Sorcerer and solo-ed all the bosses naked (link contains minor spoilers). Worth noting, I also played this build through the game blind (as in, a shieldless Sorc was my initial run-through of the game, which means I didn't know the boss fights, or where gear was, etc. - still managed to tough it out - though unlike naked Sorc I did use armor I got that helped with casting speed)

By the way, the Dagger's backstab damage does so much more than most other weapons that even when it's severely underleveled (both in terms of your stats and its +X) it will do backstab damage far beyond that of most other weapons.

Is it tougher to do things without a shield? Sure. But as they say, get good. You will learn to dodge roll, and that's probably far more important than a lot of other stuff.

Something of note that I noticed, is that while the game got consistently easier as I played through with a Sorc build, its difficulty has stayed fairly consistent on my melee only character.
I am totaly stuck in D
rangleic Castle
two Dragonriders
boss battle, and I just can't seem to find the way to go forward? There's a lift located next to a lever that I can't activate and a locked door, any hint?
Look around the room some more.

Stet

Banned
The Dagger is pretty awesome, the only reason I don't use it anymore is because it takes more time to go back to power stance, but if I was playing with only one weapon, I'd definitely keep the dagger equipped at all times.

Any particular dagger?

Levyne

Banned
I am totaly stuck in D
rangleic Castle
two Dragonriders

You should be able to find a room with the
stone soldiers, I think you go the opposite way of the lever.
. There's a path that eventually loops back around to the bonfire. You'll eventually be able to get a Key you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom