• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
You can tell steam to save an uncompressed copy but then you have to upload it yourself.

Unless that is just...less compressed?

Holy crap, the BG boss is ugly and now dead.

How could you say that, he is a real sweet heart.
Notice how he lovingly placed the broken statue back together?
, but yeah, he is one freaky dude.

However, ENB seemed to hint that the boss has a very sad background, or one that would make you more empathetic but is waiting for his lore vids to go into detail.

burgerdog

How could you say that, he is a real sweet heart.
Notice how he lovingly placed the broken statue back together?
, but yeah, he is one freaky dude.

However, ENB seemed to hint that the boss has a very sad background, or one that would make you more empathetic but is waiting for his lore vids to go into detail.

Yeah, that brief scene alone tells you that it's not just a killing machine. I'll have to watch ENB's lore videos once I beat the game. I still have a long way to go.

HoosTrax

I should be ok using Bonfire Ascetic on some earlier areas like Iron Keep right? I just got the King's Ring.

I'm not too clear on how NG+ and ascetic scales, but I heard that the jump from NG to NG+ is the biggest, and the jump to each + is lesser and caps at NG+7 or something?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think I sequence broke. I beat
Ornstien/Dragonrider whatever
with two phantoms doing the work since I headed that way instead of the other gate not knowing it was a boss. WHOOPS?

Can't join the conevent over there yet. So... gotta dodge Greatswords (OH BOY) again to get back to the other gate. D:

I'm not even sure this is the direction I should be going from
Last Giant

Damn being a BellBro is serious business. I can't even go to lost bastille with the ring on anymore.

ProTip : don't go back on the bridge to Lost Bastille if you get invaded.

Damn being a BellBro is serious business. I can't even go to lost bastille with the ring on anymore.

ProTip : don't go back on the bridge to Lost Bastille if you get invaded.

When you just want to free for all it is a blast, but invasions/summons happen so fast that sometimes you can't even leave the area. First time I got there I tried to mash though the bell keeper dialogue to join and I was already invaded and told me I couldn't join during multiplayer. It is just nuts.

Levyne

Banned
I think I found the lever you aren't supposed to pull...

In Aldia's Keep, tons of warning messages...what does it do?

Booshka

After about 40 or so runs I finally got the
Shadow
Dagger to drop. Amazing crit damage, and it's a STR scaling Dagger somehow, so on my 40 STR build it does bonkers criticals, like 2k+ to everything. Looking forward to one shotting some overleveled douchebags in the near future.

If anyone wants some pieces or an entire set of the
Shadow
gear, let me know, I have like 5 of each piece of the gear from all the farming. NG+ SM 5 million.

Carm

So, I've finished the below areas and now have 3 choices to what's next and I'm not sure which one to go to.

Cleared:
Heide's Tower of Flame
Forest of the Lost Giants
No Man's Wharf
Lost Bastille
Belfry Luna
Sinner's Rise
Cathedral of Blue

Next 3 choices seem to be:

Shaded Wood,
Gutter and GoS
Huntman's Corpse.

Don't want to go back down the hole for the time being so comes down between Shaded Woods or Huntman's Corpse. I see a lot of google searches saying Shaded Woods but looking at a progression map it seems Huntman's Corpse would probably be the better route first. Any suggestions?

Edit: Did Belfry Luna offline, those midgets were more dangerous than the boss.

I dont want to sound ungrateful, but thats a whole lot of math and I still dont know what I should do. I have no idea if elemental dmg is any good in this game compared to DS1, I was asking more for advice than "here, go read a spreadsheet" :/

Sorry man, I made that post right before I was going to bed so it wasn't very thorough.

If you're going all STR then I think you're fine to leave your Greatsword at +10 and maybe look into buying some resins to give it even more of a boost.

If you're going DEX then due to how poorly DEX scales you might want to look into the Raw upgrade path which lowers the scaling to E but raises the base damage. Considering that A/S scaling DEX weapons nets you ~40-50 bonus damage with 40 DEX (which is insanely low) then the boost in base damage might be better and also allow you to put fewer points into DEX for equal or higher damage. Poison and Bleed damage also scale with DEX, so if you plan to use those then a high DEX can make all the difference.

Faith and Intelligence are a different story, they both scale fire, lightning, magic and dark. All of those elements, when combined with a buff like Sunlight Blade, Crystal Magic Weapon or Resonant Weapon, will outperform any pure STR or DEX weapon. I have a Magic Chaos Blade +5 which has a ~380 damage rating. When I combined that with Crystal Magic Weapon I hit a guy wearing full Havel's armour for 830 damage with a single heavy attack. That is a LOT more than I ever got with my pure STR weapons.

Even if my post is a bit late, I hope this helps.

Has the Parry/Backstep "technique" already been mentioned? It basically gives you the i-frames of the backstep, while also trying to parry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zTnq7jBtqc

That's fucked.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sorry man, I made that post right before I was going to bed so it wasn't very thorough.

If you're going all STR then I think you're fine to leave your Greatsword at +10 and maybe look into buying some resins to give it even more of a boost.

If you're going DEX then due to how poorly DEX scales you might want to look into the Raw upgrade path which lowers the scaling to E but raises the base damage. Considering that A/S scaling DEX weapons nets you ~40-50 bonus damage with 40 DEX (which is insanely low) then the boost in base damage might be better and also allow you to put fewer points into DEX for equal or higher damage. Poison and Bleed damage also scale with DEX, so if you plan to use those then a high DEX can make all the difference.

Faith and Intelligence are a different story, they both scale fire, lightning, magic and dark. All of those elements, when combined with a buff like Sunlight Blade, Crystal Magic Weapon or Resonant Weapon, will outperform any pure STR or DEX weapon. I have a Magic Chaos Blade +5 which has a ~380 damage rating. When I combined that with Crystal Magic Weapon I hit a guy wearing full Havel's armour for 830 damage with a single heavy attack. That is a LOT more than I ever got with my pure STR weapons.

Even if my post is a bit late, I hope this helps.

That's fucked.

Thanks dude, guess I'll leave it at +10, it has a A scaling with STR. I'll check if other weapons are worth upgrading but I'm out if chunks, is there a place to farm those?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bellbros, is that at the belfry? Talk to the little dude? That requires me to pvp which I suck at (and have no interest in) :/

Bellbros, is that at the belfry? Talk to the little dude? That requires me to pvp which I suck at (and have no interest in) :/

I suck as well. Luckily, there are plenty of people who suck worse. I think I went 5 for 6 today and that loss was because it ended up 2v1.

Try it and see how it works. so many chunks

It is not my cup of tea either, but you will be surprised at how many matches you win. It is risk free the way it is setup, so only chunks are to be gained.

Rhaknar

Thanks guys, I guess I'll try it, i like to upgrade different weapons for variety, was one of my favorite things in the first.

What about twinkling, is there a way to farm that? Still haven't used any because I'm afraid it's limited

Thanks guys, I guess I'll try it, i like to upgrade different weapons for variety, was one of my favorite things in the first.

What about twinkling, is there a way to farm that? Still haven't used any because I'm afraid it's limited

A later area in the game has a lot of crystal lizards to get some but you can't farm it continuously from my experience

So I've killed my first NPC/covenant dude.
fucking guy for the darkness brotherhood wouldn't let me join and I wanted to fight the boss so I could get dragon chime. I fucking raged on his ass and killed him... he dropped dragon chime lol

Any idea where to farm twinkling titanite that isn't very late game? I want to upgrade my chime.

On another note some comments on the shit I beat:

1. Fuck
the gutter
. It was too fucking dark and I couldn't see shit and I kept falling to my death.

2. Fuck the place right after this. Too many poison spitting motherfuckers.

3. Fuck rat bros. I only got summoned once in
Grave of Saints
. He wanted me to come out. Fuck that guy. If he was gonna waste my time I wasted his as well lol I just stayed back. He ended up beating me because I was testing out the running attack of my claymore, but in the time it took him to beat me he could've done other shit, so I'm glad I also wasted his time.

4. Fuck the
rat vanguard boss fight
. I must've gone through like 10 life recovering shit because I kept getting poisoned. Too many enemies in a little area. What the fuck.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I was saying the same thing just recently, then today I won every invasion, usually with the help of another invader, but I could have handled several on my own. It seemed like the people I invaded were just as ill-prepared for PvP as I was. I just fought them cautiously, taking advantage of my Claymore's range and strength. I had my chunks in no time and was able to leave those poor souls alone.

nbthedude

It is done.

I've pretty much spent every waking moment playing this the last couple of days. Don't even know what I'll do tomorrow.

I dread when this day comes.

I"m also trying to savor it and play it a bit slowly and that's also why I played as Deprived to make it a harder road that will last long (and boy has it done that--I"m way behind my non-Deprived friends).

I'm about 30 hours in and I can safely say I adore this game, far more than the first, actually, which was my favorite game of the last generation previously. The people who think this game were designed by the "B" team or that it is far worse than the first just don't even speak the same language as me. Yeah there might be some minor hit box glitches/issues and what not but the expansiveness and the feel of the game is just phenomenal.

It feels like a mix of Dark Souls and Kings Field and I loved the old Kings Field games so that's definitely a plus as far as I'm concerned. The world feels sprawling and expensive with lots of off the beaten path nooks and crannies. The first game was a master class in geographic economy. I loved that and the way it looped back on itself. But I love the more expansive feel of this world even more. Dark Souls never really felt like a fully realized world to me. It felt like a metaphor for a world. This feels closer to a an actual place with lots of mysterious locations.

I'm about 30 hours in and I can safely say I adore this game, far more than the first, actually, which was my favorite game of the last generation previously. The people who think this game were designed by the "B" team or that it is far worse than the first just don't even speak the same language as me. Yeah there might be some minor hit box glitches/issues and what not but the expansiveness and the feel of the game is just phenomenal.

I liked the first more, but I still really like this one. The most I've been addicted to a game in a long time. Need a spoiler thread or something to get all my thoughts out. Not that they're really spoilery, but don't want to bog this thread down with my complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom