• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay people the Ruin Sentinels are just NOT that difficult. i just co-oped two fights in a row that were going fine (one that was almost completed) and the host ate it. i've successfully beaten this boss close to 12 times now.

protip: if you're a melee build with a shield and you summon a magic user? keep your goddamn shield up at ALL TIMES AND LET ME DO MY WORK.

Where the hell are the embers? I haven't been able to make any elemental weapons and my shiny new Zweihander is begging for some lighting. I've made it through Black Gulch and currently going through Iron Keep. Am I just not at that point in the game where there are any?

Gazoinks

Where the hell are the embers? I haven't been able to make any elemental weapons and my shiny new Zweihander is begging for some lighting. I've made it through Black Gulch and currently going through Iron Keep. Am I just not at that point in the game where there are any?

You'll find the ember in Iron Keep, it's kind of easy to miss though.

Freja leaped on top of me and somehow I ended up on her back.

792D3381912A4FF2C3CC226063A00FFEE8C55BC8

A few seconds later I got launched out of the map and died. It was a good day;

I'm only as far as Harvest Valley (I'm thinking that it leads to the Iron Keep I hear so much about) but so far most of the bosses are a disappointment.

Good thing the game itself is so good! Also,
Royal Rat Authority
can go fuck itself.

Royal Rat Authority
is easy once you know what to do
hes basicly Rat Sif
stay under him and either magic him to death or smack him to death

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
really the respawning thing isn't so bad, tho it makes it really painful when you fuck up and miss a ton of souls

i've lost like 80k souls in iron keep by being dumb and not taking my time when rushing to get my bloodstains and it's really sad that i won't ever get 'em back

at least in dks1 you knew you could farm them back.

but you know, at the same time, it really takes a long while before they stop respawning

I only think about it like half the time myself, but can't you just equip one of the rings that "nullifies death" until you pick up all your souls again? In Dark Souls 1, that would keep your bloodstain from disappearing if you hadn't picked it up yet.

impact

Banned
It's funny, because I thought Demon's had better bosses overall than Dark. It just keeps going down! :p I did really like the Chariot though. Unique concept, felt really cool. Shame about the glitched hiding place.

Demons Souls has terrible bosses. Everything is super easy besides Flamelurker, Maneaters and False King

AHA-Lambda

okay people the Ruin Sentinels are just NOT that difficult. i just co-oped two fights in a row that were going fine (one that was almost completed) and the host ate it. i've successfully beaten this boss close to 12 times now.

protip: if you're a melee build with a shield and you summon a magic user? keep your goddamn shield up at ALL TIMES AND LET ME DO MY WORK.

I'm going to agree on this. I beat them solo on my second try.

I got to
Shrine of Amana.

Started off okay and looks nice, but the level design is really boring and repetitive. I even had to unequip my rings, go naked, and kill that stupid giant mushroom thing until it stopped spawning. It's not even a threat, it serves no purpose other than to waste your time.

whats the verdict on the enb mod? it looks pretty sweet, with the extra dark shading.
tempted to try it with gedosato.

You can't use both at the same time.

The verdict is both GeDoSaTo and the ENB are sweet... until they crash your shit, which they will. If it happens during co - op too many times, which it will, From will punish you by removing your summoning privileges. You have to use a Bone of Order to get them back. You get 1 per character, no more even in NG+ and beyond. The only way to get more is to leave your game running for like 8 hours, then head to Things Betwixt to the altar.

I know because this bulllshit just happened to me. Don't use either the GeDoSaTo or the ENB during co op if you experience frequent crashes. Thought I got VAC banned at first.

It's a bit obnoxious that the boss battle is just surviving the beginning... not the actual boss.

So far there are at least two bosses who suffer from this...
Royal Rat Authority
and
that spider thing

And the worst "boss" I've fought is the
Vanguard
. Seriously, what the fuck was that shit. Props to the
Chariot
for being awesome though.
You can't use both at the same time.

The verdict is both GeDoSaTo and the ENB are sweet... until they crash your shit, which they will. If it happens during co - op too many times, which it will, From will punish you by removing your summoning privileges. You have to use a Bone of Order to get them back. You get 1 per character, no more even in NG+ and beyond. The only way to get more is to leave your game running for like 8 hours, then head to Things Betwixt to the altar.

I know because this bulllshit just happened to me. Don't use either the GeDoSaTo or the ENB during co op if you experience frequent crashes. Thought I got VAC banned at first.

Wow, really? What the hell.

I've been through numerous co-op missions and only crashed once because my tablet was plugged in, forcing an alt tab and crashing me. I haven't heard of other crashes being constant.

Aaron

whats the verdict on the enb mod? it looks pretty sweet, with the extra dark shading.
tempted to try it with gedosato.
ENB is definitely extra dark. Lost a boss fight because I couldn't see shit, even with the brightness maxed in-game. Think I just need to tweak the profiles some though.

JustinBB7

Been avoiding this thread because of spoilers but agreeing with the bosses being kinda disappointing so far. I'm about halfway in, bit over I suppose, I'm at
Velstadt boss
now and so far I've not had a memorable boss like O&S yet.

Most of them take 1 try too. Kind of a let down. Maybe it's because after playing ds1 for so long you get used to the game mechanics so obviously it will be easier, but still feels like I'm missing something.

Also I beat
looking glass knight, and I thought he was supposed to summon 2 human players to help him, I wasn't sure because I went on a blackout for the most part, but he only summoned 1 npc for me. I beat him on first try as well, I liked the sound of that but he just summoned an npc..

Unfortunately most of the bosses in DkS2 seems to fall under three categories:

1) Big versions of little monsters
2) Horde battles
3) Bullshit

or even all of the above. It's a shame because in DkS1 I felt almost every boss was an awesome hurdle to overcome.

Its not even that they are humanoid. Just look at the humanoid bosses in previous games:

Smough
Ornstein
Artorias
Iron Golem
Priscilla
Gwyn

False King Allant
Old Hero
Penetrator
Tower Knight

Just look at how varied their move sets were, how their movesets sometimes reflected their personality / characteristics and compare it to DkS2 where nearly every humanoid boss has the same moveset. Wide sweeping attack, some combo, and an overhead attack.

Just beat
Iron Keep and Belfry Sol

The former I lost 100k souls. First time I lost that many souls and it fucking hurts man. Good thing I'm already in the mid 100's soul levels. I'll try to make it up by helping people out in co-op. The boss was ridiculously easy if you specialize in faith and already have sunlight spear. I swear it took me like 2 sunlight spears and 3 great spears to kill him. Also after all the warnings and shit about
Smelter Demon
I was expecting the worst thing ever. But with Lucatiel getting all the aggro and throwing lightning/sunlight spear at it, it was easy peasy lemon squeezy. If I had fought him by myself it would have probably been a pain.

Going to Shaded Woods next.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just beat
Iron Keep and Belfry Sol

The former I lost 100k souls. First time I lost that many souls and it fucking hurts man. Good thing I'm already in the mid 100's soul levels. I'll try to make it up by helping people out in co-op. The boss was ridiculously easy if you specialize in faith and already have sunlight spear. I swear it took me like 2 sunlight spears and 3 great spears to kill him. Also after all the warnings and shit about
Smelter Demon
I was expecting the worst thing ever. But with Lucatiel getting all the aggro and throwing lightning/sunlight spear at it, it was easy peasy lemon squeezy. If I had fought him by myself it would have probably been a pain.

Going to Shaded Woods next.

yeah soloing is what's difficult, although a lot of people really suck at hanging back and letting the mages deal all the damages

Gazoinks

yeah soloing is what's difficult, although a lot of people really suck at hanging back and letting the mages deal all the damages

Yeah, as a pathetic coward (also known as a mage), I had a pretty easy time of summoning Lucatiel and hiding in the corner, but his attacks hit pretty hard so he does seem pretty tough to melee.

His sword seems really cool, it's a shame it requires huge Str.

Yet to hit the ghost town cap even though it took me a lot of retries on the spider boss. I'm pretty sure I died 12 times if that's the limit. I didn't kill anything along the way though.

Reckon I'm gonna do a respec coz I dumped nearly all my points into strength and dex (30+) on each coz I couldn't decide on a weapon. Honestly glad the feature exists

For a strength/faith build how should I distribute my stats? My biggest point of confusion is show to spread into Vit/Vig/End

When I help people with co-op I tend to have the redeye ring specifically to get all the aggro so the host, especially if he's a melee, doesn't get killed. I don't get to hit the boss much as I'll be dodging/running for dear life as the boss only has eyes for me. But that means the other people in the game can go crazy attacking the boss without worries, unless they have an area attack or a sweeping attack that can reach them in the back.

Also I have a confession. I needed Titanite chunks because I'll be upgrading shit later... I... I joined the Bell Bros. I gave them so much crap and complained so much. But holy shit. It's fun. I'm such a fucking hypocrite but I genuinely look forward to being called to invade and kicking ass. I went up Belfry Sol without being invaded since it's so late, but now I don't have to deal with that anymore. I already did everything I can do with Sun Bros in this game (level 3 and sunlight spear) so I'm considering just sticking around Bell Bros until I have a decent amount of titanite chunks where I don't ever have to worry about them.

God help me.

Yet to hit the ghost town cap even though it took me a lot of retries on the spider boss. I'm pretty sure I died 12 times if that's the limit. I didn't kill anything along the way though.

Reckon I'm gonna do a respec coz I dumped nearly all my points into strength and dex (30+) on each coz I couldn't decide on a weapon. Honestly glad the feature exists

For a strength/faith build how should I distribute my stats? My biggest point of confusion is show to spread into Vit/Vig/End

I'm a strength faith build. Honestly it all depends on what you want your end game weapon to be. With the end game weapon I want, and with the current one I'm carrying, I needed a minimum of about 22 strength and 55 faith. Currently closer to 60 faith. I also dumped a lot of points into attunement so I can have better dodging and more slots for miracles. I got dexterity to about level 13 or so as that's what I'll need for my end game weapon whenever I get it. Once I get faith to 60 I'll probably dump some more points into Vit/Vig/End. But currently have a lot more endurance than Vit/Vig (both are under 20) while End is a bit above 20. I did this so I could wear decent armor. Also so I could carry my claymore, light shield, binoculars and chime. I might end up respec'ing down the line depending on how heavy I am when I get my end game weapon.

You want as much faith as possible without exagerating so your miracles (specifically the lightning/sunlight spears) do a decent amount of damage.

zkylon

zkylewd

fuck yeah, smelter demon DEAD

admittedly i busted out the strong armor just to allow me to take half a hit more but damn that was good

ended up using elec resins i bought on shaded woods like suggested. turned human and thought about summoning but hey last try right? and ofc i killed him that time

seems to be a recurring theme on dks2 for me, first with chariot, now smelter demon

only regret is forgetting to launch durantemod to get the YOU DEFEATED screen.

JimPanzer

been experimenting with ENB a bit, either I'm doing something wrong or the game looks much better using durantes GeDoSaTo (no downsampling, just effects) + his SweetFx profile.

with the wickfut ENB it get some really strange DOF effects (some things in the background being sharp while others are blurry) and the overall look is really washed out.

Only thing I don't like with using GeDoSaTo is the black halos characters and trees get using the standart DOF, using bokeh I drop down to 50-55 fps :/

Forgot to mention my surprise in Iron Keep when I returned to
the Smelter Demon's
room I never expected
a Pursuer clone to spawn and fight me. Good thing my I obliterated him with my miracles

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so while trying to get the
Havel Set (following a guide of course, I would never in a million years have found it by myself)
, I realise that I...dont have any fucking bonfires in the gutter o_O how the hell did that happen... now I have to do the whole zone again from the start because you cant come back up from black gulch

The Twiblades is an awesome weapon to use.

I got completely wrecked by a guy with twinblades. The blades themselves did no damage, but his strategy was to poison me with them, then switch to another weapon and finish me off. Since this was PvP I didn't have anything to cure poison with ready at my disposal, so he got me good. Also there was no way in hell I could attack, the attack on the twinblade is TOO fast to the point I couldn't even dodge away

so while trying to get the
Havel Set (following a guide of course, I would never in a million years have found it by myself)
, I realise that I...dont have any fucking bonfires in the gutter o_O how the hell did that happen... now I have to do the whole zone again from the start because you cant come back up from black gulch

That's really weird, considering you have to
pass by two of them to even continue to the black gulch. And they are slightly bright so you should've seen them amidst the darkness

Jintor

I'm about three hours into this game and it already pisses me off in a way none of the other games did.

Who in their right fucking mind thought that it was a good idea to quit spawning enemies after X number of times???

Goddamn stupidest fucking decision they could of made.

I'm struggling to beat enemies in a certain area so I try and boost a couple stats by grabbing some souls but because I am weak I end up dying. I then end up dying before I can recollect my souls and low and behold the enemies disappear and now I have to delve further into the level, still under prepared and now fighting even tougher enemies and in tougher situations.

If my particular approach to a difficult situation is trying to improve my player why am I punished for that style of play?

The brilliance behind the game was the strategy you could develop on your own to defeat enemies, the adaption to new scenarios, surviving the environment of the levels, the openness of your exploration, the multiplayer and multitude of ways you could approach the situations. The difficulty of the game was a product of that, not the starting point and only focal point. As of now this game seems to ignore most of that in favor of just trying to be hard for hardnesses sake and not understanding that complexities and balance of what makes the souls series great.

I hope I'm missing something with my early impression because as of right now I am regretting spending $49 on this game.

it's more important to level up as a player before leveling up as a character

zkylon

zkylewd
When I help people with co-op I tend to have the redeye ring specifically to get all the aggro so the host, especially if he's a melee, doesn't get killed. I don't get to hit the boss much as I'll be dodging/running for dear life as the boss only has eyes for me. But that means the other people in the game can go crazy attacking the boss without worries, unless they have an area attack or a sweeping attack that can reach them in the back.
yeah i generally try to draw aggro and let other people hit the boss

mostly cos sometimes there's a nice amount of lag and the boss jumps all over the place, but also cos i really deal very little damage for some reason

i'm probably gonna put a couple points into faith, try and be able to cast a few spells

i never played a spellcaster in dks before, might be fun

eot

Banned
I still haven't joined a Convent.

I'm not looking forward to the 500 invasion wins for Blue. Yeah, I know I can get it on NG++ so it isn't a big deal. I hope the other convent rewards are like that as well.

Though it's weird they made an achievement "Convent of the Meek" for not joining a convent when asked. Not sure why they named it like that if there really isn't a convent for that. :/

A convent is something quite different from a covenant haha :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom