• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jathaine

got myself 16 points in faith, how much more until i can start shooting lighting?

that looks so cool

22 FTH for Lightning Spear, obviously less if you spice it but there's no point to that, right? And welcome to the lightning tossing master race!

14098593403_4fe2ff3307_o.png

Saw this on /vg/. Fuckin' amazing.

Well.... I know what character I'm making next now.... Now would mundane cestuses or vanquishers seal fists be better?

Took my Bastard to +10 yesterday, what weapon should I work on next to compliment? I'm assuming something with strike damage like a hammer or mace...don't think I've found a good one yet.

vermadas

I'd be more irritated about spending so much time trying to conquer Belfry Luna if I wasn't having so much fun with it. So far I've beaten the gargoyles twice as a helper shade, but I haven't had any luck doing it in my own world yet, though I've only tried a few times since I'm trying to conserve my effigies. Because fuck trying to do that fight solo.

unfortunately if anyone was planning to, burning a human effigy doesn't stop bellbro invasions

Yeah I didn't think that would work, because the bonfire there is technically in the Bastille. And I think it only stops invasions in the area containing the bonfire right?

That reminds me. In previous games, if you summon help they can't cross into different locations. But now they let you summon help even if the boss is dead in that area so maybe the rules have changed. If I summon a helper shade right outside the Bastille bonfire adjacent to Belfry Luna can they cross into that area and help with the gargoyles? Or will there be an impassible fog wall? It'd be nice to get help summoned in before entering Luna so I can get to the boss fog wall before the bellbros start popping in.

Facism

This is the feeling I get. Seems some of the bosses get new mechanics in NG+ that make them much harder to fight. Can any NG+ players confirm? Are the NG+ bosses basically the "real" versions?

Watching ENB he said that NG is easier in Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls but NG+ is much harder. Don't know how true that is.

nah NG+ is the same game with a bit more difficulty and a few red phantoms thrown into the mix, plus you get a better reward for gaining the great souls. Severely oversold.

I'd be more irritated about spending so much time trying to conquer Belfry Luna if I wasn't having so much fun with it. So far I've beaten the gargoyles twice as a helper shade, but I haven't had any luck doing it in my own world yet, though I've only tried a few times since I'm trying to conserve my effigies. Because fuck trying to do that fight solo.

I ended up doing it solo my first run. It was unpleasant, but you just have to take it slow. Do a hit and roll away. Wait for openings...some of the attacks have a long cooldown.

Yeah I didn't think that would work, because the bonfire there is technically in the Bastille. And I think it only stops invasions in the area containing the bonfire right?

That reminds me. In previous games, if you summon help they can't cross into different locations. But now they let you summon help even if the boss is dead in that area so maybe the rules have changed. If I summon a helper shade right outside the Bastille bonfire adjacent to Belfry Luna can they cross into that area and help with the gargoyles? Or will there be an impassible fog wall? It'd be nice to get help summoned in before entering Luna so I can get to the boss fog wall before the bellbros start popping in.

Luna does have a bonfire, it's on the backend of the gargoyles...it's mostly useless. As to your other point, someone summoned me in the Lost Bastille watch tower attempting to go through to Luna and there was the impassible fog wall, so it doesn't like like you can cross over.

I tried laying my sign down in Luna, but it wouldn't work...I didn't think you could even summon help there.

Mistel

Banned
so what's up with the dude who looks like
solaire
just sitting around? i think i've seen him twice now
That will be Creighton of Mirrah a knight.
Took my Bastard to +10 yesterday, what weapon should I work on next to compliment? I'm assuming something with strike damage like a hammer or mace...don't think I've found a good one yet.
Try a mace or a craftsmans hammer if you are after some nice ones. The pickaxe too if you can get one.

zkylon

zkylewd
22 FTH for Lightning Spear, obviously less if you spice it but there's no point to that, right? And welcome to the lightning tossing master race!
22 but you can get it down to 10 with skeptics spices. 42 for great lightning spear and 55 for sunlight spear.
thanks

those are pretty steep requirements for the higher level spears

might be enough with the first one, maybe

i dunno

i summoned a dark spirit once and there were fog gates on entrances to other areas, and when i crossed one it shot the dark spirit away (one of these but, holes that runs away and hides so he can ambush you)

so no idea how it works, i never got summoned by anyone that had beaten the area boss either

I ended up doing it solo my first run. It was unpleasant, but you just have to take it slow. Do a hit and roll away. Wait for openings...some of the attacks have a long cooldown.
doesn't taking it slow backfires since gargoyles just keep appearing?

aeolist

Banned
That will be Creighton of Mirrah a knight.

nope, according to google i haven't gotten to the areas where he is yet

i'm talking about the dude in white who's
leaning up against the big tree you see after climbing a ladder early on in the forest of the giants, and sitting on a walkway in the lost bastille near the wharf entrance

eot

Banned
I think I prefer the invasion mechanics in Dark Souls. In DkS2 it's so concentrated to a few areas that it doesn't add to the tension when playing through the game and the aspect of hunting for someone in a level is missing, it's mostly an annoyance. Particularly when you get pulled in as a grey spirit and don't have anything to lose, it feels pointless.

Jintor

Wow, got to the
Dragon Aerie
today. Probably the most impressive area in the game to me thus far, at least in terms of atmosphere and tone.

Unfortunately I killed a titanite lizard before being bellbro'd away and when I came back the lizard was gone and so was its loot. It won't respawn, either...

Quick question, 34 STR and 14 DEX. Soul Lvl 110. Currently have a bastard sword +10, worth infusing it with fire or lightening? Probably will raise STR up to 40 before all is said and done.

Bear in mind that damage scaling is weak in Dark Souls 2. It is rarely worth raising your STR/DEX beyond the minimum required to use a particular weapon, so if you like your bastard sword, it might be better to redistribute those STR points to FTH or INT and then infuse with fire or lightning.

If you're committed to all-physical and want to go to 40 STR, I would consider picking up a weapon with better STR-scaling. Mastodon Greatsword would be a good option. The Large Club and Great Club are also powerful for STR builds.

vermadas

Luna does have a bonfire, it's on the backend of the gargoyles...it's mostly useless. As to your other point, someone summoned me in the Lost Bastille watch tower attempting to go through to Luna and there was the impassible fog wall, so it doesn't like like you can cross over.

I tried laying my sign down in Luna, but it wouldn't work...I didn't think you could even summon help there.

Yeah, doing it solo is just a huge endurance test. It just feels like I have to chip away at them forever, and it's really easy to make a mistake that ends up being fatal.

And yeah, you can put your sign down in Luna, but if someone has initiated an invasion it will disable your soapstone. And since invasions happen so frequently in Luna...

That executioner's chariot fight is bollocks. 4-5 times I've been killed by the chariot when I couldn't be any closer to the back of the little hidey holes.

leaning up against the big tree you see after climbing a ladder early on in the forest of the giants, and sitting on a walkway in the lost bastille near the wharf entrance

Those are Heide Knights; elite knights who are essentially this games version of the non-respawning black knights. Each drops a heide weapon and, on NG+, a piece of their armor. Nonhostile until attacked

zkylon

zkylewd
I think the most I faced at once was 3. The first two went down pretty easily, had to slow down after that due to factoring in 3 different attacks.
i only beat that fight with summons cos i was trying to see how it worked but to me it got out of control very easily and very quick.

didn't help i had to fight like 2 invading dudes every time i ran to try again lol

aeolist

Banned
Those are Heide Knights; elite knights who are essentially this games version of the non-respawning black knights. Each drops a heide weapon and, on NG+, a piece of their armor. Nonhostile until attacked

huh, weird

so no downside to killing them? i was leaving them alone because i thought it was an NPC i'd be able to do something with later

LiK

That executioner's chariot fight is bollocks. 4-5 times I've been killed by the chariot when I couldn't be any closer to the back of the little hidey holes.

Plenty of holes on both sides to hide in. Just run to them once it passes and you have plenty of time.

Arjen

I think I prefer the invasion mechanics in Dark Souls. In DkS2 it's so concentrated to a few areas that it doesn't add to the tension when playing through the game and the aspect of hunting for someone in a level is missing, it's mostly an annoyance. Particularly when you get pulled in as a grey spirit and don't have anything to lose, it feels pointless.

I really miss NG invasions, hope they're going to patch it. Doing SL50 invasions in anor Londo was so much fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah it's pretty bullshit

if you can afford to, try and spam roll since you can actually dodge the spikes thingies if you time it right

Mistel

Banned

OOUY8AI.png

Heide Knights kill them if you like to.

huh, weird

so no downside to killing them? i was leaving them alone because i thought it was an NPC i'd be able to do something with later

None that I know of. They're essentially just skilled knights from a fallen, forgotten kingdom who have been wandering since the loss of their home. They all seem fairly badly beaten and least one has a few arrows sticking out of him. Their dropped weapons all have a nice lightening damage boost on them.

Jintor

if you can afford to, try and spam roll since you can actually dodge the spikes thingies if you time it right

With around 100 agi I simply invincibility frame right through the wheels.

backfires badly if the charioteer is swinging his halberd around though

Shahadan

Finished it last night. Had a lot of fun, will consider playing DS1 if they remove gfwl.
That said the camera and worse, the targeting system drove me nuts, especially as a sorcerer.
My worst nightmare was the sand pit area in Brightstone and those crap untargetable ennemies with their homing attack. The attack itself is somehow smarter than every boss combined but whatever.

My best laugh and sweat was when I was invaded by someone named Lightning. I swear I had one micro second of "what the hell they even put her in this game" :lol:

Ideally I should have went through the
Iron Keep as soon as I could to get the ember to infuse my gear since I was running a STR melee build, but I only found the ember after beating 3 out of the 4 grand soul bosses.

Playing this game blind is killing the min-maxer inside my soul.

Stay on the right. There are some holes, on the left, where you'll get hit.

Cheers guys

Plenty of holes on both sides to hide in. Just run to them once it passes and you have plenty of time.

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I'm in the holes, but I'm still getting hit sometimes

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the holes in the inner side (you know across from where you start) are actually better

not really basing on anything but feeling but that's the impression i got from playing that fight so much enemies stopped respawning :p

i think the holes in the inner side (you know across from where you start) are actually better

not really basing on anything but feeling but that's the impression i got from playing that fight so much enemies stopped respawning :p

I'll definitely try that. Yeah, I died so many times all the enemies on the run up to the boss have stop spawning. Lost about 70k souls as well because of those holes.

Is there no divine upgrade path in this game?

Anyone have advice on how I should infuse my warped sword? Going for dex based dual wield build. Not sure what to pair it with either.

Is it a fast weapon? Enchant it with bleed or poison

Does it have good scaling? Don't infuse it at all.

Does it have subpar stat scaling? Use Raw for pure damage or fire and lightning

Does your character have high int? Use enchanted.

I assume the rules for enchanting from Dark Souls 1 still apply.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is fall damage percentage based? Like, if I fall 15 feet and it takes 50% of my health, will it always take 50% despite having 2000 health or 200 health?

I switched up my point allocation and so I could use the black knight greatsword with some points in faith but I just realized that halberds are awesome.

Also realized that fire scales with int and lightning scales with faith. D'oh

On the chariot boss atm. No idea what I'm doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom