• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1CHO

oh yes, if Im gonna tank, im gonna fucking tank baby

my waifu will kick your ass (except in PVP, then she wont >_>)

edit: damn it how do I spoiler tag pictures? realized seconds later than its a spoiler :(

whats that? :O

Oh, sorry I though you probably knew, it's the weapon that the former owner of the armor used back in the day.

The class of the weapon is:
great hammer

You can find it in:

A dragon nest on the Dragon Aerie

PS: Double post, who's the noob now? :|

Atrophis

The Castle is so fucking good. Hands down the best area in the game so far for me. Actually feels like a Dark Souls level, full of hard encounters and the bosses have been fun so far.

Vitor711

I got to
Shrine of Amana.

Started off okay and looks nice, but the level design is really boring and repetitive. I even had to unequip my rings, go naked, and kill that stupid giant mushroom thing until it stopped spawning. It's not even a threat, it serves no purpose other than to waste your time.

Agreed 100% there for the second bonfire. It's literally just there to annoy you.

Still think that the fight directly before it was hot BS for melee builds. Very conflicted on that area in general, especially due to the fact that the boss would repeatedly one-shot me and took barely any damage.

mannerbot

Agreed 100% there for the second bonfire. It's literally just there to annoy you.

Still think that the fight directly before it was hot BS for melee builds. Very conflicted on that area in general, especially due to the fact that the boss would repeatedly one-shot me and took barely any damage.

Demon Song?
I don't see why that boss would be considered unfair for melee, and I just did it tonight as pure melee. Just another boring boss with a slow, limited moveset. I kind of like the fact that some of the attacks would one-shot since at least then there's some risk of dying, unlike most of the bosses in this game where in the rare event you screw up you get forever to estus up anyway.

Shiina

I have almost 1m soul memory, I could skip the whole gutter/gulch thing. I've heard it was a mix of Blighttown and 5-2, is that accurate?

Vitor711

Demon Song?
I don't see why that boss would be considered unfair for melee, and I just did it tonight as pure melee. Just another boring boss with a slow, limited moveset. I kind of like the fact that some of the attacks would one-shot since at least then there's some risk of dying, unlike most of the bosses in this game where in the rare event you screw up you get forever to estus up anyway.

I couldn't dodge his jump move. He's frequently smash me with that and it was maddening. Didn't find him unfair though - was talking about mob of spell casters/knights before the final bonfire. That was maddening.

Also, pretty crazy to find out I still have a third of the game left to go despite the fact that I can
only see 4 areas undiscovered on the fast travel menu. Have 1 primal bonfire left to light
. Game is a lot larger than I thought. At 33 hours and Soul level 146, I was beginning to think that I'd got to the endgame.

I have almost 1m soul memory, I could skip the whole gutter/gulch thing. I've heard it was a mix of Blighttown and 5-2, is that accurate?

Both those areas are fine. Gutter is far, far easier than Blighttown. The layout isn't as confusing and the torch mechanic actually makes the area fun in my opinion. Just make sure to light all the sconces you find. As for Gulch, also not too difficult and the boss at the end isn't too much of a pain.

zkylon

zkylewd
man the rest of iron keep is so painful to navigate

i think this has been my favorite part of the game, eyeing up every room and knowing it's gonna be torture has been hilariously brutal

mannerbot

I couldn't dodge his jump move. He's frequently smash me with that and it was maddening.

Also, pretty crazy to find out I still have a third of the game left to go despite the fact that I can
only see 4 areas undiscovered on the fast travel menu. Have 1 primal bonfire left to light
. Game is a lot larger than I thought. At 33 hours and Soul level 146, I was beginning to think that I'd got to the endgame.

Basically this was Dark Souls 2's Gaping Dragon, if you played Dark Souls.
All you have to do is stand out of melee range so that you bait out that bodyslam move, which you can roll once or twice to the side to avoid (you should also be strafing to the side the whole time). Just 2h and exhaust your stamina bar and repeat. The only real danger you have to watch out for is the charge move since it will one-shot you, but yeah... not much else going on in this fight. I don't really think casters have an unfair advantage since they can't attack anything except the innards either, right?

And yeah, there's certainly a lot of content but I feel pretty let down. I've still got the very last bits of the game to finish up, and maybe NG+ will change my opinion, but the encounters just feel lazy and soulless. Why bother designing interesting mechanics when you can simply throw TWO of a boring boss at a player? Ugh.

man the rest of iron keep is so painful to navigate

i think this has been my favorite part of the game, eyeing up every room and knowing it's gonna be torture has been hilariously brutal

Iron Keep was definitely my favorite.

Blinck

Loving the shit out of this game...

Btw is there any good place to farm titanite and large titanite shards? The are fairly hard to come by and I really wanted to upgrade some armor..I already bought all from the blacksmith and
his daughter

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Gray spirits are by far the stupidest part of this game, if I want pvp i should be able to opt into it, not have it forced on me

Vitor711

Basically this was Dark Souls 2's Gaping Dragon, if you played Dark Souls.
All you have to do is stand out of melee range so that you bait out that bodyslam move, which you can roll once or twice to the side to avoid (you should also be strafing to the side the whole time). Just 2h and exhaust your stamina bar and repeat. The only real danger you have to watch out for is the charge move since it will one-shot you, but yeah... not much else going on in this fight. I don't really think casters have an unfair advantage since they can't attack anything except the innards either, right?

And yeah, there's certainly a lot of content but I feel pretty let down. I've still got the very last bits of the game to finish up, and maybe NG+ will change my opinion, but the encounters just feel lazy and soulless. Why bother designing interesting mechanics when you can simply throw TWO of a boring boss at a player? Ugh.

I kept rolling backwards, clearly that was the issue.

Edited my comment by the way - wasn't referencing that fight for fairness. More the mob encounter before the final bonfire. That was maddening. At least I farmed a bunch of
twinkling titanite
by having the gold covetous ring equipped. Not a complete loss. That Black Knight Halberd is doing work.

And yeah, I'd rather have fewer areas but have them be larger/more involved. Really love a few of them (visually Heide's Tower and the enemies there are incredible) so it's a shame when things just end.

Don't like the mob bosses - it's like they actually thought that the Capra Demon was worth imitating. That being said, RRA was interesting. I liked the general sense of discovery and the *aha* moment that fight had. Didn't mind his larger cousin either as the mobs there were easy to deal with. That doesn't apply to every fight though.

Gray spirits are by far the stupidest part of this game, if I want pvp i should be able to opt into it, not have it forced on me

The entire point of Dark Souls is that PVP/invasions are not optional but always part of the game
You can play offline if you don't like it

Vitor711

Loving the shit out of this game...

Btw is there any good place to farm titanite and large titanite shards? The are fairly hard to come by and I really wanted to upgrade some armor..I already bought all from the blacksmith and
his daughter

The poison area, I forget the name. The first one. The green dudes with the large black hammers drop a bunch of them. Helps if you have a certain item find boosting ring equipped too.

mannerbot

I kept rolling backwards, clearly that was the issue.

Edited my comment by the way - wasn't referencing that fight for fairness. More the mob encounter before the final bonfire. That was maddening. At least I farmed a bunch of
twinkling titanite
by having the gold covetous ring equipped. Not a complete loss. That Black Knight Halberd is doing work.

Ah yeah, I agree with you there. That part was just a chore, all I did was shoot arrows and kill the ranged guys slowly haha. u_u

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
beat
Shrine of Amana
, calling it here, getting sleepy and the next zone seems annoying. Also, I thought the boss was annoying, died a few times. but Im shit so what do I know. surely I must be near the end. anyway, to be continued

^ McDuff sells unlimited large shards and Chloanne sells unlimited of everything up to Chunks in stages as you progress.

It's the dirty, down dark part of the game but the similarity ends there, there's no swamp. Gutter is a fun area to explore with some nice loot here and there. This is the one part where the torch is a useful mechanic. Gulch is very short, but there are also some important things down there. I wouldn't skip either, just bring some moss for the Gulch and explore everywhere.

Zafir

The entire point of Dark Souls is that PVP/invasions are not optional but always part of the game
You can play offline if you don't like it
Not a solution because then you can't coop. ; P

It really isn't the entire point. Its one point of many that not everyone may like.

Either way invasions seem non existent on NG. Outside of pvp areas but well, they're pvp areas what do you expect. (Whether they're well done it not is another question)

Not a solution because then you can't coop. ; P

It really isn't the entire point. Its one point of many that not everyone may like.

Either way invasions seem non existent on NG. Outside of pvp areas but well, they're pvp areas what do you expect. (Whether they're well done it not is another question)

Co-op is a risk/reward thing. If you want to get help you risk being invaded. I think that's a cool mechanic. I understand people don't like it, but too bad. DS wouldn't be the game it is without it.

When Demons Souls came out in asia, it only became a cult hit and crossed over into the mainstream because of the online mechanics. It would never have made it this big without them.

BPoole

Is there any way to stop people from invading you aside from playing offline? I absolutely loathe PVP and now just Alt+F4 whenever someone invades because I have better things to do than dance around magic and pyromancies or have some guy run off into the hardest part of the level to attack me when I have several other enemies.

Previous Souls games didn't allow invades when you were Hollowed or when you have already cleared an area, but exploring areas for missed loot only to get caught up in non stop invades is really getting old

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Irresponsible vagina leak indeed.

Dat tag
LLShC.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah, by a pretty big margin it's been the best area in the game so far. good length, decent bosses, tons of "from why are you such fucking assholes" moments lol, generally cool enemies, cool lore, i really liked it

unfortunately it's a bit too "lava stuff" at moments but seemed like the most inspired area in the game so far

anyways 2/4 super souls. guess spider cave is next

hmm

Zafir

Co-op risk/reward thing. If you want to get help you risk being invaded. I think that's a cool mechanic. I understand people don't like it, but too bad. DS wouldn't be the game it is without it.

When Demons Souls came out in asia, it only became a cult hit and crossed over into the mainstream because of the online mechanics. It would never have made it this big without them.
First of all I don't think anyone was saying to remove it just the guy said he wanted an opt out and I can totally see that being a fine option. Something akin to pve and pvp servers on mmos but just a tag which you can't easily change.

Second of all I disagree that it wouldn't be the same without it, that's like saying its the only thing that the game offers which totally isnt true. It offers a multitude of other things which people like and what made it popular. Which is why I don't see why something like a pvp tag wouldn't work.

Eitherway its just an opinion and I dont see it changing in the next game but I can see the reasoning.

eot

Banned
Shaded Woods
First off, it doesn't make sense to have a scorpion boss. This is a forest area not a desert area! I was expecting a lion thing. I don't mind that it's a throwback to Quelaag, the problem is that it's not as interesting. What's there is good but it needed more (which is how I would describe a lot of this game). Quelaag zoned you out with fire, had a much more vicious three hit sword combo and also had that AoE you always needed to be on the lookout for. Najka doesn't have any move that punishes you like that, you can just back of, block a bit and do some very easy dodges for her spells. The underground thing is a decent twist I guess, but even if you get hit there's so much time to recover. It's like the Pursuer's guard break, he never does a follow up so it doesn't matter if you get tagged by it.

Is there any way to stop people from invading you aside from playing offline? I absolutely loathe PVP and now just Alt+F4 whenever someone invades because I have better things to do than dance around magic and pyromancies or have some guy run off into the hardest part of the level to attack me when I have several other enemies.

Previous Souls games didn't allow invades when you were Hollowed or when you have already cleared an area, but exploring areas for missed loot only to get caught up in non stop invades is really getting old

If you burn a human effigy it disables online for a while. Keep alt-f4ing though and you'll be locked out of co-op. If you hate it that much just jump off a cliff or something.

Atrophis

Maybe NG+ is where the real Dark Souls begins.

This is the feeling I get. Seems some of the bosses get new mechanics in NG+ that make them much harder to fight. Can any NG+ players confirm? Are the NG+ bosses basically the "real" versions?

Watching ENB he said that NG is easier in Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls but NG+ is much harder. Don't know how true that is.

Garcia

I honestly can't believe so much people enjoy PvP in this game. More than 90% of the invasions I've had in both Dark Souls games have been laggy as hell to the point where it's always, constantly a matter of luck.

It's just ridiculous that anyone could like that.

I've spent over 120 hours in TF2 and even when the ping was horrendous, the lag (for the most part) never reached Dark Souls levels of stupid to break my enjoyment. Same goes for online matches in fighting games. Or Mario Kart, etc.

The lag issues in Dark Souls are completely game breaking and I really can't fucking understand how anyone could actually find that fun to begin with.

Arjen

This is the feeling I get. Seems some of the bosses get new mechanics in NG+ that make them much harder to fight. Can any NG+ players confirm? Are the NG+ bosses basically the "real" versions?

Watching ENB he said that NG is easier in Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls but NG+ is much harder. Don't know how true that is.

NG+ has some really nice (scary) suprises. Really like how they handled it.

Serra

Yes. The difference isn't big but its a nice touch. Honestly I breezed through NG+ easier than in the original.

Some bosses get new elements in NG+ (e.g.,
Flexile Sentry has two ninjas attack you
), but I would not say that the encounters are changed enough to qualify as the "real" versions.

BPoole

I honestly can't believe so much people enjoy PvP in this game. More than 90% of the invasions I've had in both Dark Souls games have been laggy as hell to the point where it's always, constantly a matter of luck.

I've spent over 120 hours in TF2 and even when the ping was horrendous, the lag (for the most part) never reached Dark Souls levels of stupid to break my enjoyment. Same goes for online matches in fighting games. Or Mario Kart, etc.

The lag issues in Dark Souls are completely game breaking and I really can't fucking understand how anyone could actually find that fun to begin with.
That is my gripe with it as well. I don't want to PVP under any circumstance in this game due to lag, and just the nature of players wanting to get the cheapest kills they possibly can by running into mobs of enemies and shooting magic at me while I fight.

The only phantoms I ever kill are ones that are strictly melee since that is what my build is as well. Because of this, my magic defense sucks, and phantoms that invade me and spam magic always kill me. Am I expected to respec my entire guy just to give myself a chance against these people? I think not. PVP should just be sectioned off for those who want it. Have dedicated places like Belfry Sol where people who are into that can go.

It's like 5min long if that

Then i ran the wrong way a few times.

...It probably takes you longer to alt+f4 and restart the game than it would be to jump off or just fight. I don't know where you are, in NG there are hardly any invades outside of PvP areas.

Quick question, 34 STR and 14 DEX. Soul Lvl 110. Currently have a bastard sword +10, worth infusing it with fire or lightening? Probably will raise STR up to 40 before all is said and done.

Vitor711

Pretty much this. I've had invasion where we've both killed each other at the same time. Only, on my screen it looked like I'd just performed two backstabs in succession and never got hit.

Also, getting invaded by two phantoms AND having to deal with the enemies in the area? Come on - how am I supposed to stand a chance unless I'm specifically crafting my character for PVP?

Red Phantom invasions in general are less common but that seems to be counterbalanced by the added BS that occurs when you are actually invaded. Seems worse than previous games.

At least the co-op works now.

BPoole

Then i ran the wrong way a few times.

...It probably takes you longer to alt+f4 and restart the game than it would be to jump off or just fight. I don't know where you are, in NG there are hardly any invades outside of PvP areas.
I've killed almost every boss on NG and get invaded constantly in every section.

Killing myself wastes my humanity, or puts my souls at risk. I'll also have to replay the whole section over again. It's just annoying trying to get all the items I missed but never being able to do it efficiently since I'm always getting stuck in areas with phantoms that run away. I can hardly even leave white soapstones down because half the I get invaded before someone summons me.

Jathaine

14098593403_4fe2ff3307_o.png

Saw this on /vg/. Fuckin' amazing.

Needed to be quoted again.
JHQbgfh.png

Also, anyone else in love with the Bow of Want? I've got a FTH build with enough stats to power stance rapiers and so I figured what's a couple more points of DEX to equip it? Upgraded it, made it lightning +5 and now this thing is beastly (for a bow)
I couldn't be more happy with this thing especially with that awesome special attack it has... so fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom