• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

14098593403_4fe2ff3307_o.png

Saw this on /vg/. Fuckin' amazing.

I met Sam last week. He was also using dual katanas. I'm the Sunbro in the pic.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I was about 22 hours into the PS3 version when the PC version hit. I double dipped and made a new game to catch up to where I was before, with a similar build.

Holy SHIT the Estoc is a great weapon. It has amazing range at a good speed, which lets me punish attacks or do hit-and-run tactics with mobs really easily.

In Dark Souls it was percentage based, I think it's the same here but I haven't tested it extensively. Pretty sure equip load matters too..

I don't think it's % based anymore. I had a friend who dumped his early points into stacking health and did the Grave of Saints crazy early, while the rest of us who had different builds couldn't make the jump down the well. When I say early, I mean before even going to Huntsman's Copse or anything. I think it was the 3rd or 4th area he went to.

ronny_1

Neo Member
Hurrah for victory!!

Finally i beat
the Gargoyles
it was at my last attempt before summing help, used a human effigy and buffed up my weapon with some magic and bam 4 hits to kill one, seemed that they never stop coming!!

Sullichin

I don't think it's % based anymore. I had a friend who dumped his early points into stacking health and did the Grave of Saints crazy early, while the rest of us who had different builds couldn't make the jump down the well. When I say early, I mean before even going to Huntsman's Copse or anything. I think it was the 3rd or 4th area he went to.

Use the cat ring and be naked and you should be able to drop down the well right from the beginning. I think. Maybe not.

Hah! Just invaded a guy who was standing a short distance from where I spawned in. Then perfectly in sync, we both swapped our shields for our staffs, cast crystal magic weapon, then cast homing crystal soulmass, and then we both fired crystal soul spear at one another - only my cast was faster.

I did 2/3 his HP and then ran in and hit him twice but somehow did no damage, and then he started rapidly poking the air with his rapier and my health just started melting off. He stunlocked me to death, despite the fact that I was nowhere near him, and then a full two seconds later he suddenly takes 800 damage and dies as well.

Lag is totally nuts sometimes.

For falling damage - without the cat ring - the difference between "half health" and "dead" has to be five or maybe ten feet. The damage you take scales up ridiculously fast.

Unless it actually does scale by equip load.. I guess that would explain a few things.

Forkball

Got to Earthen Peak. Was there anything of interest in the poison mists in Harvest Valley, because I skipped all those things.

Also the chariot boss was pretty awesome, it felt like something out of Zelda. Turns out the "don't stand behind a horse" rule also applies to the Dark Souls universe.

Sullichin

For falling damage - without the cat ring - the difference between "half health" and "dead" has to be five or maybe ten feet. The damage you take scales up ridiculously fast.

Unless it actually does scale by equip load.. I guess that would explain a few things.

You take less fall damage based on your equip load.
Not sure how accurate this is (from Reddit)
3b8Drz2.png

Got to Earthen Peak. Was there anything of interest in the poison mists in Harvest Valley, because I skipped all those things.

Also the chariot boss was pretty awesome, it felt like something out of Zelda. Turns out the "don't stand behind a horse" rule also applies to the Dark Souls universe.

Sure, some good loot. I don't recall anything amazing but there's no reason not to grab it all. It's easy to stay alive with lifegems or well timed estus chugs. I never use the poison moss in this game.

Grief.exe

You take less fall damage based on your equip load.
Not sure how accurate this is (from Reddit)
3b8Drz2.png

That makes logical sense, as the only thing accelerating you downward is mass and gravity.

No loot left behind.

Vitor711

There's an upgrade shard for the estus flask somewhere. Nothing else of note but if you have enough estus charges to counteract the poison, it's worth a run through.

Poison resist is garbage anyway so you will get poisoned regardless. Use the flask or some gems to just balance things out.

HoosTrax

Did you guys ever have your high school physics teachers do the experiment where he drops a solid metal ball and something like a ping-pong ball together at the same time? And they hit at the same time.

That brings up another subject - I guess the main character has a "bag of holding" or something? If I had a backpack full of hundreds of shields, weapons, and armor, the last thing I'd be worried about is weight of what I'm wearing.

Just vanquished two double invasions by gray phantoms in Belfry Sol, feels good man. From the little experience I have with PvP, magic really does seem kinda overpowered, I win about 80-90% of duels against melee characters (everyone seems to be just defenseless against my greatsword thrusting roll attack lol), but the ratio seems to reverse whenever I face a magic user:/

By the way, is it worth infusing weapons even if you're going for a no magic build? I'm not gonna touch my main weapon (Mastodon Greatsword +10) but I'm considering infusing my Bastard Sword +10 with something. What would be the best option? I'm partial to lightning myself but I don't really know. I have 40 str 20 dex and basic knight faith and int, so 6 and 3 or something.

Vitor711

So I've bought all the boss weapons I liked so far from both merchants.

Is it worth just consuming all the others? They're just sitting in my inventory and I don't know whether or not the soul pay-off is worth it (I need around 25,000 just to get to the next level these days).

Beat
Nashandra
last night. I also explored Memory of Orro for the first time (never went in on PS3, forgot it was there). I really like how they designed them. Makes me wish there was even more to explore. Got 4 Giant Souls right now, gonna kill
Ancient Dragon
for the 5th, and then go after
Vendrick
. I'll move on to NG+ after collecting all the treasure I left behind.

I thoroughly enjoyed DS2 on PC. I don't know if I can stomach the PS3 version anymore. I wasn't really enjoying it on PS3, but the PC version, for whatever reason, made me like it a whole lot more.

Sullichin

Just vanquished two double invasions by gray phantoms in Belfry Sol, feels good man. From the little experience I have with PvP, magic really does seem kinda overpowered, I win about 80-90% of duels against melee characters (everyone seems to be just defenseless against my greatsword thrusting roll attack lol), but the ratio seems to reverse whenever I face a magic user:/

By the way, is it worth infusing weapons even if you're going for a no magic build? I'm not gonna touch my main weapon (Mastodon Greatsword +10) but I'm considering infusing my Bastard Sword +10 with something. What would be the best option? I'm partial to lightning myself but I don't really know. I have 40 str 20 dex and basic knight faith and int, so 6 and 3 or something.

You're better off damage wise with the normal path on your build unless you pump some FTH for that lightning damage.

Get the transgressor's leather shield if hexers are annoying you. Infused with darknight stone, it has 100% dark resistance. Laugh as great resonant soul does no damage as it farts against your 0.3 weight shield.

eot

Banned
Did you guys ever have your high school physics teachers do the experiment where he drops a solid metal ball and something like a ping-pong ball together at the same time? And they hit at the same time.

Yes because the object mass cancels if you write out the equations (m*a = G * m * m_e / r^2 <=> a = G * m_e / r^2). A heavier object will still have more energy though, and the reaction force from hitting the ground (which is what crushes your bones) will be stronger.

Mistel

Banned
So I've bought all the boss weapons I liked so far from both merchants.

Is it worth just consuming all the others? They're just sitting in my inventory and I don't know whether or not the soul pay-off is worth it (I need around 25,000 just to get to the next level these days).
Check here first. But it's fine to consume them if you'd like.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
People complaining about co-op misadventures with the Smelter Demon sure weren't kidding.

I was summoned for a practice run and was grouped with two casters who were demolishing him from a distance while I ran interference as a melee build. It was totally going our way until the host got stupid and greedy and got smashed.

That happened a couple more times, then I said fuck it, used the small soapstone to get my humanity back and summoned Lucatiel and no one else to fight Smelter. I would have solo'd him because I think I had it figured out, but I figured I might as well continue the Lucatiel quest because I haven't blown it yet. She got stomped on repeatedly while I bravely poked him in the back and she survived the fight. She's durable.

Damn, helping people against the Smelter Demon can be tiring. So many die from his blast thing, sweet Jesus... and the ring you can get to aggro doesn't seem to be doing much against him tbh. Worked fine on other bosses such as the Lost Sinner.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does a bonfire ascetic respawn only the boss of the area, or does it respawn every boss in the game?
Respawns the boss in that specific area.

Jintor

Wow, the fucking
Dragon Shrine
is not fucking about. The iron bastards with the clubs are INSANE. The guys with swords are more managable except that their swords cast magic bolts at you. And let's not even talk about the super-fast high-damage dragon scale guys on the staircase. Jesus.

Level design is boring as sin, too.

Playing hex sorceror is pretty fun (just finished a company of champions playthrough, now I'm doing some sunbroin and co-op). Pretty much have an answer for all situations (except dem lionmen, but its easy to roll behind and backstab them for like all their life). I haven't used the miracle hexes yet that expend souls, are they any good?

Its not really entirely easy mode like previous dark souls. Dragonrider is actually tough as a caster, he takes like 30 soul arrows to kill. Lighting Bolt probably best nuke that I have right now though, rarely are things resistant to lightning.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wow, the fucking
Dragon Shrine
is not fucking about. The iron bastards with the clubs are INSANE. The guys with swords are more managable except that their swords cast magic bolts at you. And let's not even talk about the super-fast high-damage dragon scale guys on the staircase. Jesus.

I think it looks decent, but it's very linear and short. The clubbers have a crazy combo attack of something like 3 swings, an overhead smash, followed up by another one or two swings. Caught me out twice with it before resorting to poison arrows.

Facism

Is fall damage percentage based? Like, if I fall 15 feet and it takes 50% of my health, will it always take 50% despite having 2000 health or 200 health?

it's based on equip burden, afaik.

I'm still looking for a good weapon to dark infuse. Would prefer light weaponry to keep my equip burden low. tried the Crypt blacksword or whatever it's called, but i hate big-ass slow weapons unless it's the Great Club 2 handed R2 :3

Nabs

Damn, helping people against the Smelter Demon can be tiring. So many die from his blast thing, sweet Jesus... and the ring you can get to aggro doesn't seem to be doing much against him tbh. Worked fine on other bosses such as the Lost Sinner.

I lost my shit trying to help people with the spider boss. So many people die before I can even get in the arena.

LiK

It's been tested by me and others that the Redeye Ring doesn't really work against Smelter. I don't think it's worth cooping for him cuz the host dies way too easily.

I lost my shit trying to help people with the spider boss. So many people die before I can even get in the arena.

To be fair, you never know who is trying it for the very first time. The obvious strategy is to kill the small spiders and then work the boss, but who the hell is prepared for a fucking
laser
to the face?

MegaBusta

Sunbro here. I've helped people for as long as I could with
freja
People reactions are hilarious when suddenly
oh shit the spider is shooting fucking laser beams out of it's mouth

Wow, the fucking
Dragon Shrine

Yeah most of the time I just run past them using some jukes. This game places a heavy emphasis on making hybrid characters imo. pure magic or pure melee won't be able to solve all situations (easily). Its not that hard to make a hybrid character in this game, they put in a ton of options like low softcap on stat points, spices, and the way staffs upgrade. I realized this once I fought those giant golems and they wouldn't stagger after taking half their health away, there's no way they (competently) designed those giants around a pure melee build because even if you dodge roll everything, they'll hit you at least once during your swing animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom