• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

I lost my shit trying to help people with the spider boss. So many people die before I can even get in the arena.

it's fucking hilarious when you're doing coop in NG+. you'd think people would have a handle on how the bosses work but nope. Had about 5 guys get dominated by Smelter's blast, or die to the spider mobs at Duke's Dear Frappe.

The funniest shit was old king. Pretty much as the fight starts, host rolls forward into the lava.

As a bonus, rarely any Greatsword users during NG+ :D :D :D

Jintor

Yeah most of the time I just run past them using some jukes. This game places a heavy emphasis on making hybrid characters imo. pure magic or pure melee won't be able to solve all situations (easily). Its not that hard to make a hybrid character in this game, they put in a ton of options like low softcap on stat points, spices, and the way staffs upgrade. I realized this once I fought those giant golems and they wouldn't stagger after taking half their health away, there's no way they (competently) designed those giants around a pure melee build because even if you dodge roll everything, they'll hit you at least once during your swing animation.

Yeah but my tiny int is only sufficient to kill one with a stock of magic bolts :<

urgh i'm gonna go find out what happens if you kill the throne guardians instead. eff this noise!

lol, I guess nobody at From passed high school physics.

This has always been apparent since the ability to walk right next to giant pools of lava, especially while wearing iron armour. Thermodynamics has no place in Dark Souls (or indeed in videogames, movies, animation... anything else that defies convection, basically)

onionfrog

Is there anyway that I can get another plain Dagger? I broke mine and then sold it to Gavlan without thinking.

I checked a wiki and apparently you can only get one as starting equipment or the one dagger in the tutorial level.

I've got a bandits knife, I suppose I could use that. It was quite good in Dark Souls 1.

eot

Banned
Damn, helping people against the Smelter Demon can be tiring. So many die from his blast thing, sweet Jesus... and the ring you can get to aggro doesn't seem to be doing much against him tbh. Worked fine on other bosses such as the Lost Sinner.

What? It's got such an obivous tell and long windup. It's like the best time to heal haha.

Grief.exe

it's fucking hilarious when you're doing coop in NG+. you'd think people would have a handle on how the bosses work but nope. Had about 5 guys get dominated by Smelter's blast, or die to the spider mobs at Duke's Dear Frappe.

The funniest shit was old king. Pretty much as the fight starts, host rolls forward into the lava.

I said it earlier, I have been doing lots of sun broing to help learn the fights and I was never once summoned into a game where it was just the host. There would always be another summon there to help the host zerg the encounter.

Often times, they hadn't attempted the fight previously and the initial cut scene would play.

Bad form.

What? It's got such an obivous tell and long windup. It's like the best time to heal haha.

Maybe it is because we have played a previous Dark Souls entry, I know exactly what he is going to do when he is charging up.

Tried out Durante's downsampling tool. First time doing this, looks great. Game crashes on alt tab though. Screen:

I thought the newest version fixed the alt-tab issue? I've been downsampling through drivers anyways.

LiK

Is there anyway that I can get another plain Dagger? I broke mine and then sold it to Gavlan without thinking.

I checked a wiki and apparently you can only get one as starting equipment or the one dagger in the tutorial level.

I've got a bandits knife, I suppose I could use that. It was quite good in Dark Souls 1.

Why plain? Get the Manikin knife. It's better.

Loakum

Banned

I'm still on my 1st playthrough, and the Greatsword is all I use. I got it maxed out, that it's attack is over 500. I kill those spiders with one hit.

onionfrog

Why plain? Get the Manikin knife. It's better.
Manikin knife looks good. I haven't made it to harvest valley yet.
I ended up doing
all of the Lost Bastille and everything you can get to from the shaded woods first. I'm in huntsmans copse right now.

Risible

Damn, helping people against the Smelter Demon can be tiring. So many die from his blast thing, sweet Jesus... and the ring you can get to aggro doesn't seem to be doing much against him tbh. Worked fine on other bosses such as the Lost Sinner.

I'm currently trying to get past Smelter with Lucatiel alive for the
achievement

Soooooo many clueless people co-oping there. It's obvious they are just there to do trial runs for their own attempt because they die as soon as
Smelter does his first AOE.

So fucking aggravating.

Facism

I said it earlier, I have been doing lots of sun broing to help learn the fights and I was never once summoned into a game where it was just the host. There would always be another summon there to help the host zerg the encounter.

Often times, they hadn't attempted the fight previously and the initial cut scene would play.

Bad form.

yo this is in NG+ though, G. These players have already been through these bosses in their first playthrough :D

I'm still on my 1st playthrough, and the Greatsword is all I use. I got it maxed out, that it's attack is over 500. I kill those spiders with one hit.

Good for you :) I was using a Dark Mace +10 until recently and was hitting for about 400 on those spiders. Shame it has terrible range :(

LiK

I'm currently trying to get past Smelter with Lucatiel alive for the
achievement

Soooooo many clueless people co-oping there. It's obvious they are just there to do trial runs for their own attempt because they die as soon as
Smelter does his first AOE.

So fucking aggravating.

Better to not bother with that boss for the achievement. It's much easier with the other bosses. You only need to do 3 out of 4.

Jintor

With 3 people, we zerg'd the boss of the Keep and killed it within probably about 5 seconds of entering the fog gate. Can't compete with DPS!

Bad form.

Lol, *raises hand* I am guilty of that many times, but in my defense I already solo'd them before so I figure I will help a Sunbro out getting his medals and I just want to get to ng+.

Facism

Better to not bother with that boss for the achievement. It's much easier with the other bosses. You only need to do 3 out of 4.

smelter isn't so bad if you're a filthy miracle/hex/sorcery user like myself. Luca's defence has been buffed into the realm of gods now. Imagine what it was like at console release :/ Red eye ring and a lot of luck to keep her alive. L
ost
S
inner
was a close second in the PITA department when it came to keeping luca alive.

LiK

smelter isn't so bad if you're a filthy miracle/hex/sorcery user like myself. Luca's defence has been buffed into the realm of gods now. Imagine what it was like at release :/ Red eye ring and a lot of luck to keep her alive.

Yea, she won't die to him now. She died in like 5 hits pre-patched. The question is if the host can do as well as her.

Grief.exe

yo this is in NG+ though, G. These players have already been through these bosses in their first playthrough :D

Ya, they allowed two other people to zerg it to death while they stood in a corner, now they are repeating the process.

Maybe they are a little more confident that they have seen the boss twice now. It's really sad that this is the way people will experience Souls.

Should I abandon my Bastard Sword? I'm at Iron Keep and just got the
dull ember so I've started infusing weapons
. I already put lightning on my
Zweihander
(and it doesn't seem as OP as it was in DS1) and have started really looking at stats and stuff like that. I'm running mainly a STR build (31 atm) and leveled my BS to +9. It only has C scaling and I don't want to risk a slab on the chance that the scaling won't upgrade that much.I still want to use a great or Ultra Greatsword if I can, I just need something that scales better. Currently I have the
(Pursuer Greatsword)
and the sword inspired by Berserk (if anyone has tips on how to stay under 70% with that thing without taking off all my good armor let me know, it's a really cool looking weapon) but am open to other swords as well. And if I do abandon my BS sword what should I infuse it with so I get atleast a little more use out of it?

Is it possible to get all achievements in one play through by respeccing after beating the game and buying all the magic stuff? I'm guessing that probably won't work

LiK

Zweihander
(and it doesn't seem as OP as it was in DS1) and have started really looking at stats and stuff like that. I'm running mainly a STR build (31 atm) and leveled my BS to +9. It only has C scaling and I don't want to risk a slab on the chance that the scaling won't upgrade that much.I still want to use a great or Ultra Greatsword if I can, I just need something that scales better. Currently I have the
(Pursuer Greatsword)
and the sword inspired by Berserk (if anyone has tips on how to stay under 70% without taking off all my good armor let me know) but am open to other swords as well. And if I do abandon my BS sword what should I infue it with so I get atleast a little more use out of it?

Bastard 4 lyfe!

Is it possible to get all achievements in one play through by respeccing after beating the game and buying all the magic stuff? I'm guessing that probably won't work

There are two spells that can only be bought in NG++, so nope.

Risible

How is she in the
Rotten
boss fight? I fear she might die due to environmental hazards, plus he hits like a truck with his
chop chop chop

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone know what happened to astroturfing on GAF? Hardcore Demon's Souls (and slightly less hardcore Dark Souls)-player. Just vanished, never to be seen in any of the DkS2 threads?

DukeBobby

Zweihander
(Pursuer Greatsword)
and the sword inspired by Berserk (if anyone has tips on how to stay under 70% with that thing without taking off all my good armor let me know, it's a really cool looking weapon) but am open to other swords as well. And if I do abandon my BS sword what should I infuse it with so I get atleast a little more use out of it?

I used a Bastard Sword for most of my playthrough. Even towards the end of the game, it got the job done.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Zweihander
(Pursuer Greatsword)

I'm still using my Bastard Sword+10 well into NG+, fwiw.

Risible

smelter isn't so bad if you're a filthy miracle/hex/sorcery user like myself. Luca's defence has been buffed into the realm of gods now. Imagine what it was like at console release :/ Red eye ring and a lot of luck to keep her alive. L
ost
S
inner
was a close second in the PITA department when it came to keeping luca alive.

If you
light the fires
then LS is a piece of cake, I had no problem keeping her alive there. This
Smelter
fight wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the crap shoot with the summonings.

Zweihander
(Pursuer Greatsword)

I beat the game with a plain old Bastard +10. It never felt weak.

LiK

How is she in the
Rotten
boss fight? I fear she might die due to environmental hazards, plus he hits like a truck with his
chop chop chop

She takes more damage from him especially the AOE attack but if you're fast enough, she'll be fine. She was never in critical during my experience. Also, Redeye Ring works against him.

Vitor711

Zweihander
(Pursuer Greatsword)

RE: Equip Load - Have you got the Royal Soldier Ring?
It's behind a hidden destructible wall in Wharf and there's a +1 in Drangleic Castle once you kill all the mass sentinels in the room
. Increase your equip load by 10%/15% respectively. Definitely helps. The
mask of the lost sinner
also gives you an extra +2 to equip load and has really good stats.

There are two spells that can only be bought in NG++, so nope.

Fair enough, but I guess my question is can I get all the achievements with my melee character through respeccing, or do I have to roll a magic build and start over to have a hope to get them all.

Zafir

Finally got my physical CE of the game(UK delay FTL). Far bigger than what I thought, and it even came with a plaque saying the number out of 2500. The physical soundtrack disk seems to be missing though?

It's been tested by me and others that the Redeye Ring doesn't really work against Smelter. I don't think it's worth cooping for him cuz the host dies way too easily.

Ah, that explains it. Yea, it's not worth the time to coop this boss but I was doing it because so many people seem to have trouble with him. Just being a sunbro, but yea, it can get frustrating.

eot

Banned
Are there any good swords with very low dex requirements? I'm mostly using clubs but I want some variety.

Zweihander
(Pursuer Greatsword)
Bastard Sword is great but personally I dropped it as soon as I found a Mastodon Greatsword (it's dropped by the spiders in
Brightstone Cove
, and I think you can find one in a chest later on as well). The moveset is the same as the BS, but it has higher base damage and A str scaling when it's fully upgraded. It's also much heavier though, so you'd definitely need to put some points into vitality and use the Royal Soldier Ring (which I had been until I found the Second Dragon Ring).

zkylon

zkylewd
RE: Equip Load - Have you got the Royal Soldier Ring?
It's behind a hidden destructible wall in Wharf and there's a +1 in Drangleic Castle once you kill all the mass sentinels in the room
. Increase your equip load by 10%/15% respectively. Definitely helps. The
mask of the lost sinner
also gives you an extra +2 to equip load and has really good stats.
speaking of that mask, is there a reason why stuff like that is always so imbalanced in the souls games?

like i guess there's some lore tied to it that some items need to be markedly stronger than others but it feels really weird, like i don't have much of a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom