• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkuMifune

Banned
Did you get the one in the secret cave in the Black Gulch? You can bonfire ascetic that area and get the Giant Soul twice (or more if you want). I did that instead of fighting the Ancient Dragok, so had 5 when I took down Vendrick.

Does this still work? I thought it was patched out. When I did it on PS3 just before PC version I didn't get the item a second time, so just fought him using 4.

I feel like it should be patched out if it's not. ;)

Manakin set not cutting it anymore. Anything wrecks me in two hits. Time to find a new light armor before I can farm my fav
Llewellyn

Ok, guys, Fashion Souls time:

Which is the best looking, badass armor yet still functional and powerful? I'm using the Drangleic set which kind of looks like a roman official and, while great protection and all, I'm just not feeling it.

Let's see, in Dark Souls I used the Elite Knight set and Havel set (can'tstoptherock.mp4) and also the Giants and the Black Iron set. Not much else really called my attention.

I know I can get both the Elite Knight and Havel in DS2 but is there anything else? The Heide knights armor can be obtained? Need to check the wiki for armors...

I'm looking for something knightly by the way.

Sullichin

[

95 AGL is a good place to stop if you don't want to spend too many points, although 100 AGL is quite nice as well. Anything more than that is unnecessary. You need to spend way too many points into ADP in order to get 110 AGL and get too little in return, which are points that should be distributed in other stats. Just be ever so slightly more careful when timing your rolls.

That won't be the issue. It's a tiny area, but it's still one of the most annoying places to go through.

39ADP (what I needed for 110AGI), never going back on this build!
Although for other builds i'll probably stop at 100.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Which is the best looking, badass armor yet still functional and powerful? I'm using the Drangleic set which kind of looks like a roman official and, while great protection and all, I'm just not feeling it.

Let's see, in Dark Souls I used the Elite Knight set and Havel set (can'tstoptherock.mp4) and also the Giants and the Black Iron set. Not much else really called my attention.

I know I can get both the Elite Knight and Havel in DS2 but is there anything else? The Heide knights armor can be obtained? Need to check the wiki for armors...

Alva's, Creighton's and Alonne Knight Captain's are three of my favorites.

How about the Alva set?

NXDaYSA.png

I love the way it looks and it's fairly light.

zkylon

zkylewd
Some people claim it's so you focus on getting better and not just getting better gear. I think that's silly.

The drangleic armour is so OP. As is the starting mace/fire broadsword you can find. 20-25 hours of my game used those. It was kind of dull.

There is better stuff (apart from the mask, no reason to switch that out) but it comes late and it's only better once upgraded A LOT. As such, it's not always obvious that you found a superior item as the starting stats aren't always great (even for boss gear). However, a lot of items scale crazy high with each upgrade so it can be deceptive.

If you're going for Str and are willing to put some points in Vit, go for the Alonne Captain armour and upgrade that to +10. It's insane. As for weapons, the Black Knight Halberd is also great upgraded as is the Large Club. Better than the Great Club in my opinion. That's got S scaling for Str. and does nearly 400 base damage at level 10
yeah i think the issue with me is that weapons have movesets which aren't as easy to balance as armors that are simply cosmetics + numbers.

so like i have uchigatana vs blacksteel and i like the thrusting attack from the uchigatana for tight corridors, so i can put some value in that that maybe for me makes up for having less scaling than blacksteel

armor on the other hand is all stats, so to me it should be a lot better balanced and there shouldn't be such a clear cut best. specially since there's a lot of things to balance: different types of reduction, poise, weight, special effects (like item discovery on merchant traveler hat). they could've even made something about size with bigger armors increasing your hitbox or something.

even if blacksteel is objectively better, i can still just use uchigatana cos i like it better, but armor you just have two choices: pick the one that's best suited for what you're looking for (fat roll, 50% roll or 70% roll), of which there is simply one that's best at it, or pick the one that looks best for you.

it's one of those things i don't understand why from never changes, i can appreciate lore having something to do with the strength of items, so a shitty hollow soldier armor won't ever compete with an elite knight's, but among high rank people there should be some semblance of balance :/

i think the alva and alonne armor sets are the coolest i've found so far

alva you can buy from the merchant at majula's after a while and alonne's dropped by alonne knights like 30 hours in (at least for me).

both are pretty good.

drangleic is broken tho

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ATN gives 0.25 per level until 110 AGL.
ADP gives .75 per level until 110 AGL.

Both stats do more than just raise your AGL though.

Excellent, thanks!
No way. I'd say 20VGR is fine and anything more than that is unnecessary.
Why 20 and not, for example, 25? Is 20 a soft cap or something? Or is this just some personal preference?

Hixx

Tried to spend a few hours doing (Iron Keep boss)
Iron King
to get Sunlight Medals.

Killed it twice then gave up. The amount of people who
get knocked into the pool of lava at the back -_-

Even if they don't, they usually stand near the exit so the boss locks into spamming his most annoying attack which makes it hard to melee. Then eventually they get hit by it and go flying into the lava.

Shame because it's 16k souls for what should be one of the more simple bosses.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Anyone else using the Great Club? It was my favorite weapon in Dark Souls and I continue to like it here.. also just got Gyrms Axe and really enjoying the look of that as well (the move set leaves something to be desired)

zkylon

zkylewd
Do you guys mean that as in "It's broken as it's by far the best for a large portion of your playthrough" or as in "It's simply the best armor for its weight to armor ratio"
probably both :p

just to give you a rough picture the drangleic boots alone have more dmg reduction than about 80% of my breastplates.

oh my god

ancient dragon
is kicking my ass

What build/equipment are you working with? It's a stupid fight no matter what, but if you can handle the Gyrm Greatshield, there is a pretty safe strategy.

Excellent, thanks!

Why 20 and not, for example, 25? Is 20 a soft cap or something? Or is this just some personal preference?

There's a soft cap at 20, but I think many players can benefit from blowing right past that cap.

Anyone else using the Great Club? It was my favorite weapon in Dark Souls and I continue to like it here.. also just got Gyrms Axe and really enjoying the look of that as well (the move set leaves something to be desired)

Yep. I use the Great Club (sometimes dual-wielding with Large Club). It's still an excellent STR weapon, especially in PvE.

You mean AGL?
I have more than 20 Vigor, with strength weapons it's easy to end up with a pretty big equip load.

Are you thinking of Vitality? Remember, in this game Vigor is HP, Vit is equip load.

Grief.exe

If you're going for Str and are willing to put some points in Vit, go for the Alonne Captain armour and upgrade that to +10. It's insane. As for weapons, the Black Knight Halberd is also great upgraded as is the Large Club. Better than the Great Club in my opinion. That's got S scaling for Str. and does nearly 400 base damage at level 10

I doubt the Large Club would catch up to the Great Club due to scaling. The damage output from the Great Club at +10 is just too good.

There probably is a passing point at a massive level of strength due to the Great Club's A scaling.

Rich!

What build/equipment are you working with? It's a stupid fight no matter what, but if you can handle the Gyrm Greatshield, there is a pretty safe strategy.

SL 125, HP 25, STR 45, Stamina 25, Great soul arrow, Enchanted Falchion +10, ...can't remember what shield but it's a +10 with 100% block.

The fire the dragon breathes just one-shot kills me

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I thought it was a pleasant stroll. To each their own. Black Gulch on the other hand... sheesh.
My approach to every other area in any Souls game is to be super slow and cautious.

In Black Gulch, I ran through the whole place screaming NOPENOPENOPENOPENOEPEONPENOPENOPENOPE

Is it the best of its weight class though? Its stats seem pretty decent, but I'm wondering if there are any better ones. I'm still using it, but I'm not sure if its legitimately the best.

Prepare yourself for something much, much worse.

Vengarl is better I think for physical defenses. Plus you get to look like sandor from game of thrones.

Havel is best overall but much heavier, the Faraam(sp) armor is nice when upgraded as well, uses titanite

Grief.exe

How is the Malformed Skull moveset?

I was researching the damage intersect between +10 Large/Great Club and someone brought it up.

Looks like 563 damage at Raw path, doesn't scale at all interestingly enough.

I believe the Great Club outdamages the Large club in general, unless you upgrade your strength over 50 points or something. Other than that, they're practically identical, so Great Club is, in general, definitely a better choice in terms of damage output. However, it weighs 3 pts more than the large club and doesn't give too large a damage boost, so the question is whether it's worth it.

It looks like you would need 60-70 points of STR for the Large Club to pass the Great in terms of damage output.

I had to remove my gloves to wear the Great and keep below 50% equip. It's time to upgrade my carry weight I think.

Is the mastodon halberd still considered a good str weapon?

Yeah it has great scaling.

You should invest in a good mace though, pretty much all the dumb/tedious enemies are weak to maces, and I can't recall any enemies in particular that are resistant to strike. Pretty much anything that is wearing full platemail takes more damage from maces.

Sullichin

It's quite good.
No problem. Look into one of my previous posts to see what ADP does other than increase AGL. Also, 20 VGR is often preferred as it gives 30HP per level up until that point, after which it gives 20 until lvl 50. It won't do harm to increase your VGR if you really need the extra health (and it seems to influence armor bonus? Correct me if I'm wrong), but seeing as it barely does anything other than increase HP and petrify resistance (and it often won't be the deciding factor) and seeing as we have armor and rolling to negate damage, it's often seen as unnecessary over 20.

Are you talking about endurance? Vigor doesn't influence equip load, only HP and petrify resistance.

I think 20VGR is too low for PVP though.

That's fine. I'm not saying it's pointless for everyone and it definitely has its uses. I'm just saying that I personally found 95 or 100 to be enough. There are of course different opinions on the matter.
Yeah, this guy's Lion Greataxe, under 50% equip weight agile STR build. I don't use a shield either except every once in a while blocking a hex with dark transgressor's leather. 110AGI seems worth it on this character. Not absolutely necessary of course, but seems more useful than slightly more health or VIT or whatever.

SL 125, HP 25, STR 45, Stamina 25, Enchanted Falchion +10, ...can't remember what shield but it's a +10 with 100% block.

The fire the dragon breathes just one-shot kills me

Okay, you've got the STR for the Gyrm Greatshield. The point of using Gyrm as opposed to some other greatshield is that you want the 100% fire reduction. With enough stamina (you might be borderline), you can tank the breath. At that point the fight is about positioning--making sure you can stay in front of the breath. If you're hanging back to tank, AD will alternate between the flying breath attack and the ground breath attack. You want to have your spacing right so you can run in and stab the neck when he does the latter.

Booshka

Wow,how dumd is this shit. How does he even do it? How do you counter like that?

Animation cancelling, parry with his weapon then cancel it with the backstep. Parry window is more generous this way and you get mad i-frames from backsteps. Spades is already breaking this game pretty hard, only gonna get crazier from here on out.

Sullichin

Animation cancelling, parry with his weapon then cancel it with the backstep. Parry window is more generous this way and you get mad i-frames from backsteps. Spades is already breaking this game pretty hard, only gonna get crazier from here on out.

So he parries, and then immediately backsteps? It doesn't even look like he needed to move closer again to riposte

AkuMifune

Banned
Speaking of armor, is it true the chest is more important than the legs/arms? Shouldn't it be total armor #, or do the different component pieces matter more?

If so I've been doing it wrong keeping drangleic boots with manakin top. But like the look and the numbers balance out.

zkylon

zkylewd
Speaking of armor, is it true the chest is more important than the legs/arms? Shouldn't it be total armor #, or do the different component pieces matter more?

If so I've been doing it wrong keeping drangleic boots with manakin top. But like the look and the numbers balance out.
boots usually give less poise but i think that's about all there is

Booshka

So he parries, and then immediately backsteps? It doesn't even look like he needed to move closer again to riposte

I think it is almost at the exact same time, like parry then backstep within a frame of animation essentially. I haven't tried it myself, but that's the strategy I have heard.

nowai

Llewellyn Set!

Sullichin

How is the Malformed Skull moveset?

I was researching the damage intersect between +10 Large/Great Club and someone brought it up.

Looks like 563 damage at Raw path, doesn't scale at all interestingly enough.

It looks like you would need 60-70 points of STR for the Large Club to pass the Great in terms of damage output.

I had to remove my gloves to wear the Great and keep below 50% equip. It's time to upgrade my carry weight I think.

Same as the other great hammers I believe.

Probably, but I was speaking in terms of PVE personally.
Also yeah, your character does sound like the type that would benefit greatly from high AGI.

How large is the difference at, say, 45-50 though? Not sure if it's worth the weight bump at the moment. Those three extra points in weight really hurt.

I went large club my first time through the game because I found it first, but then found the Great Club too heavy so stuck with large. It's still very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom