• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess I'll give it a try, thanks. (And I haven't been summoning during the Benhart ones either, so I'll have to do that as well)

Keep in mind she has to stay alive in order for it to count. Same goes for all NPCs. They recently buffed her to where she can get hit 500 times and still not die. Just in case she dies, just feather out of the bossroom, rest at the bonfire to reset the area, and try again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry if this is not the best place to ask, but I am interested in jumping into the Souls series and not sure where to start. I've only played Demon's Souls for about an hour when it went free on PS+, but it didn't really grab me at the time. I already own DS1 on Steam and wouldn't object to buying DS2 if that is the best Souls experience I can get. Any advice?
They're all just phenomenal games, totally distinct from one another but with common threads. There's really no best place to start. DS2 has an incredibly active online multiplayer presence right now, which is an awesome experience you wouldn't get in the other two.

Sorry if this is not the best place to ask, but I am interested in jumping into the Souls series and not sure where to start. I've only played Demon's Souls for about an hour when it went free on PS+, but it didn't really grab me at the time. I already own DS1 on Steam and wouldn't object to buying DS2 if that is the best Souls experience I can get.

DS2 may be a better starting point due to the high volume of online activity, but DS1 is masterpiece material. Just take the game slow, learn from mistakes and know that it just takes time and practice to overcome the steep learning curve.

Grief.exe

Sorry if this is not the best place to ask, but I am interested in jumping into the Souls series and not sure where to start. I've only played Demon's Souls for about an hour when it went free on PS+, but it didn't really grab me at the time. I already own DS1 on Steam and wouldn't object to buying DS2 if that is the best Souls experience I can get. Any advice?

Might as well start with Dark Souls 2 at this point.

The story in the game is made somewhat irrelevant by the time jump, and you only get as much out of the lore as you put into it. Meaning, you have to dig quite thoroughly for information.

Dark Souls I is also likely to see a Steamworks conversion in the coming months, which will provide more stable play than the current GFWL DRM.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so these
zombie bros that dont like light
... worth keeping peace with them? my greatsword is itchy

Thanks for the quick replies. I was worried about the status of DS1 now that GFWL is defunct.

Will probably pick up DS2 with the 25% off on greenmangaming and jump in this weekend.

justjim89

There really needs to be a scaling or mantling mechanic in the next game. It'sdownright absurd that I can kill horrendous creatures ten times my size, but it's simply beyond my capabilities to scale a waist-high barrier or wall.

Silly.

Also, I royally fucked my ability to rush to the boss in Last Bastille because I raised one of the gates that lets the guards through. Ugh.

Is the parrying dagger worth investing in for a DEX build? It's so weak, so it's not useful for dual-wielding, and it's not worthy substituting a shield with.

Grief.exe

so these
zombie bros that dont like light
... worth keeping peace with them? my greatsword is itchy

Don't unsheathe the sword.

I had my hollow bro with me and he pissed them off. I actually beat them at that point, but then was pushed off a ledge. Had trouble getting by them again due to the narrow corridor had to fight them in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
speaking of itchy greatswords, all those NPCs in Majula man... Im bummed you get punished for killing npcs before going into NG+, that was the best part in the first :(

Well it would make sense to go DeS to DkS and then to DkS2 which would be cheaper.

Since you didn't get into DeS try DkS?

Sullichin

There really needs to be a scaling or mantling mechanic in the next game. It'sdownright absurd that I can kill horrendous creatures ten times my size, but it's simply beyond my capabilities to scale a waist-high barrier or wall.

Silly.

Also, I royally fucked my ability to rush to the boss in Last Bastille because I raised one of the gates that lets the guards through. Ugh.

Is the parrying dagger worth investing in for a DEX build? It's so weak, so it's not useful for dual-wielding, and it's not worthy substituting a shield with.

It was in Demon's Souls, lol

The poison area, I forget the name. The first one. The green dudes with the large black hammers drop a bunch of them. Helps if you have a certain item find boosting ring equipped too.

I just want to clarify that those green dudes drop
titanite shards. Not large titanite shards or chunks, but standard regular shards. Unless larger ones are rare drops.

In my experience as to how farming goes in this game, as far as I am currently, the order is:

Titanite shards-
you get them from the green hammer dudes in Harvest Valley. There should be at least 7-8 nearby the mine bonfire and the lower earthern peak bonfire

Large Titanite shards-
I'm pretty sure the hand monsters that spawn from the pools in black gulch drop these.

Titanite chunks-
Honestly best way is to join Bell Bros] as everytime you successfully kill the world's player, you get a titanite chunk. Also not sure how it works but if you talk to the covenant spokesperson after killing a decent amount of them he seems to give you titanite slabs.

Titanite slabs- Either in the same covenant after a certain amount of successful invasions or I don't know how but you can probably buy them after a certain point.

Twinkling titanite- this has been a pain because nobody I find seems to drop them where I currently am in the game
3/4 great souls and headed to shaded woods
so any equipment that requires twinkling titanite to upgrade has been put in the back burner unless I genuinely need it (dragon chime) since I gotta wait till I can acquire these. Somebody already told me where to farm them though and it seems like it won't be for a couple of more locations.

Apparently Chloanne doesn't start selling unlimited versions of the better titanite stuff until you clear certain areas. With the one I just cleared she apparently is now selling regular shards unlimited.

Damn that Llewelyn set with a hood might be the assassiny-armor i'm looking for

You rang? Had to use a Bonfire Ascetic to get that chest piece. This is my favorite set up.
nCjpxTj.png

Rhaknar

guys, someone with a photographic memory (or that has played the game a lot lol) remind me the fastest way to get back to the
scoprion dude
, I havent talked to him since killing the boss

Gazoinks

guys, someone with a photographic memory (or that has played the game a lot lol) remind me the fastest way to get back to the
scoprion dude

Head to the third bonfire, run up the ramp and into the building to the far left and down the stairs. The enemies won't follow you.

bodine1231

Where should I be going with my stats now? I just beat the
spider boss
for the third great soul. My primary weapon is a Claymore +8.

F01B7AC726CEFB530C13356C743B97DC68A4E629

Where should I be going with my stats now? I just beat the
spider boss
for the third great soul. My primary weapon is a Claymore +8.

F01B7AC726CEFB530C13356C743B97DC68A4E629

Holy shit put some points into adaptability. Until your agility is at least in the low 90s. After you're at a good AGL I'd spend more points on endurance and vitality. Also, you should be able to get the claymore to +10 by now unless you've been spending titanite upgrading other weapons as well.

Oh and it would also up your damage a lot if you switched to and upgraded a weapon that has better scaling with Strength. Large Club would be really good since it has S scaling after being upgraded I think, but the normal Club also has A scaling and attacks quickly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
scoprion dude

Go straight across the bridge from the bonfire and then hang a left.

This has probably been mentioned a billion times, but soul memory is really bad implementation of a good idea. Bring back the Bonfire stockpile and base matchmaking off the soul value of what people are carrying with them + soul level. Junk stored in the stockpile won't count against you, and it allows you to control your level (somewhat) for coop and PvP meta.

I get what they're trying to do, but I was going around buying all the armor sets etc. and got a bit of a surprise when I hit Bell Keepers.

I've seen a lot of the ADP/Agl talk. What's more important : ADP to 20 or AGL to 95-100?

Might as well start with Dark Souls 2 at this point.

The story in the game is made somewhat irrelevant by the time jump, and you only get as much out of the lore as you put into it. Meaning, you have to dig quite thoroughly for information.

Dark Souls I is also likely to see a Steamworks conversion in the coming months, which will provide more stable play than the current GFWL DRM.

You've been saying that for a while man. I want to see the receipts.

don't stop believin....

So, had quite the rough time with Royal Rat Vanguard. Finally beat that mohawk asshole but then fell to my death in the pits, lost 20k souls and had to quit, ugh. Super pissed off. I KNEW I should've gone back to Majula to spend those souls. Knowing Soul Memory will only ruin me further and further...

I cleared the Belfry Luna gargoyles and I'm at a crossroads. Where to go now? I began delving into Harvest Valley but those asshole giants dudes with a little knight riding them simply one shot me so I guess I shouldn't be there for now. Then I didn't fully explore Huntsman Copse and I can't find another Yore thingie to un-petrify that girl you need to give clothes to. I unpetrified the other dude at the Bastille...

Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Sullichin

Most of my PVP encounters have been ruined by lag.

I've seen a lot of the ADP/Agl talk. What's more important : ADP to 20 or AGL to 95-100?

You've been saying that for a while man. I want to see the receipts.

don't stop believin....
AGL is a secondary stat. ADP will raise it (as will ATT, but slower). 20ADP is a good first cap.

VIG, VIT and END

You will have a full on STR build. You don't need ADP.

Melee only with slow weapons... ADP is very useful on a STR build. Unless you're a fatrolling tank or something.

So I finally made it to
Drangleic Castle.

So for I'm feeling Dark Souls 2 handled the freedom of exploration way better than Dark Souls 1 did. I think I went through every mandatory area thus far and I can already imagine a completely different order I could go in my next run. This could really freshen up the experience. Granted I appreciated how Lordran was all interconnected and such but I honestly didn't like how the world was essentially divided by the bell tower quest and the lord souls quest.

What good is adaptability besides getting more agility and resistances? I haven't put any points into that whatsoever.

It also raises poise in combination with endurance. For every point of endurance and adaptability your poise gets raised (so if you put +10 in endurance and +10 in adaptability, your poise would be raised 10 times, but if you put +10 in endurance and +1 in adaptability your poise would be raised once).

But agility is boss, I don't know how people use flasks in fights with the base agility. It also makes rolling feel less clunky.

AGL is a secondary stat. ADP will raise it (as will ATT, but slower). 20ADP is a good first cap.

Melee only with slow weapons... ADP is very useful on a STR build. Unless you're a fatrolling tank or something.

ADP is the most useless stat in the game. People just don't seem to know it.

You don't need ADP to roll fast, have fast movement or dodge roll. I do all of those things with 3 ADP.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

You don't need ADP to roll fast, have fast movement or dodge roll. I do all of those things with 3 ADP.
This is not true at all. Low adaptability gives you very few i-frames for your rolls, so you are highly susceptible to getting clipped or knocked out of your roll. Just about the only thing accurate here is that roll speed and length is not affected by adaptability: these are determined by equip load.

Jito

Banned
Er what the hell is with
the giant ant thing down in The Gutter?
It just sat there and let me kill it and then there was nothing behind it?

Looking at the complaints about Soul Memory, I have to wonder exactly how bad it is in practice. With all the souls I get through co-op, you'd think I'd be ineligible to summon others anymore, but up until I beat the game and had a few optional bosses left, I never had much difficulty getting summoned.

Edit: Rolling with 40 ADP / 110 AGL here. Tried 100 AGL as a mage (All AGL through ATT) and I swear the extra 10 AGL makes a huge difference in roll timings. Then again, I normally play as a suicidal fists-only maniac so maybe playing a mage threw me off my game, so to speak.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

ADP doesn't affect roll speed, nobody is making that claim. ADP increases Agility, Agility increases the number of invincible frames in your roll, not the speed or distance of the roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom