• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also as to my conundrum I found that NPC's revive in New Game Plus. So that's that I guess. Guess I'll have to wait for new game plus before attempting those dungeons and that covenant.

You're only really missing out on one good fight. The dungeons are pitiful, but they're the price of admission.

So 20 ADP is good enough?

As others have said, it's about getting to 95-100 agility. Whether you get there with ADP, ATT, or a combination of the two is up to you. ATT is more efficient if you're going to be using magic. On the other hand, ADP affects poise, which is still slightly beneficial even though From broke it pretty badly for this game.

burgerdog

So I was running back after clearing the iron keep last night and a friend from the forest showed up. Sweet, sweet revenge. It's the only boss I had to summon help for, so besting him solo puts me at all bosses killed by myself up to this point. I find him incredibly easy now, too. Practice makes perfect.

Zeliard

You can do everything a 40 ADP character can do with base ADP with the exception of fast Estus chugging.

No, you cannot. You can't roll through attacks with anywhere near the same level of ease and consistency. And it isn't about ADP; it's about Agility, which can also be built up through Attunement at a lesser rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrymfvwDv0

If your point is that you don't need the extra i-frames despite their obvious helpfulness, again, this can apply to anything else in the game. Why put the points you'd put into Agility into, say, HP, when a more effective roll means you'll be getting hit fewer times by almost any attack in the game?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hood is Black Leather Armor(Only the male version has the hood)

Gauntlets are Engraved Gaunlets. They are kinda heavy and have bad stats but they have rare chance to make a normal attack become a critical. happens enough for me to make them worth it.

I linked the wiki pages but there may be some light spoilers about how you get these items.
Thanks! I am totally digging the idea of those gauntlets too, what a cool ability and it definitely suits my playstyle. With power stance I'd probably proc that more than enough to make it worthwhile. If I can keep my weight down enough (is Havel's Ring in this game?) I'm totally going for it. I also kinda like the Black Set, maybe I'll grab the hood from that and see how it looks...
Theres nothing wrong with blocking though.
Yeahhh... I don't use a shield.
I can understand what your saying. People are mistaking me, thinking that you have to be some pro player to dodge roll at low ADP -___- The window between high and base ADP is not much at all and so I would recommend greatly to at least try low ADP. If you keep getting hit and feel its off then thats fine.

Whatever suits you best.
I have no choice but to try it, it's not like I started out with 100 AGL and then switched to 0 and got to pick where to land in the middle. I'm at low ADP right now as I'm early in the game on a Cleric-started character and I feel considerably less maneuverable than I did in DkS.

I need to be able to count on rolls for my primary method of damage mitigation. You gotta think about this. If I'm playing perfectly the enhanced i-frames don't matter. If I'm off by a fraction of a second they become very important.

This point was already raised but this is really quite similar to every stat. Faith and Intelligence are by far the most useless stats in the game to me, but that doesn't mean they're the most useless stats in the game. They just don't make as much of an impact on me.
You can do everything a 40 ADP character can do with base ADP with the exception of fast Estus chugging.

That cannot be said with any other stat can it? So unless you want fast estus chugging I think you should at least try base ADP. If you get used to it, you will save yourself a lot of points.
Man so does ADP affect parry frames or not? I cannot find a concrete answer on this
For real.

I personally don't mess around on my no shield ninja-style character, 110 AGL or bust. If I'm not gonna block it I want to make damn sure my main damage mitigation tool is as good as it can be.
stealth fistbump

Uthred

Some of the later areas are quite nice looking, like
Drangleic Castle, Shrine of Amana, Dragons Aerie and the transitional area before it, etc.
. Along those lines, I wish more games would add a monster viewer feature, I'd like to get a better look at some of these guys when they weren't trying to kill me.

LiK

Drangleic Castle, Shrine of Amana, Dragons Aerie and the transitional area before it, etc.
. Along those lines, I wish more games would add a monster viewer feature, I'd like to get a better look at some of these guys when they weren't trying to kill me.

Collector's Strategy Guide has some nice shots and lore in there.

Is it a fast weapon? Enchant it with bleed or poison

Does it have good scaling? Don't infuse it at all.

Does it have subpar stat scaling? Use Raw for pure damage or fire and lightning

Does your character have high int? Use enchanted.

I assume the rules for enchanting from Dark Souls 1 still apply.

It has A scaling on Dex but dex scaling is meh in this game. Fairly quick weapon but I feel like I'm losing a lot of dmg on the infuse.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what build I could go for with warped sword? Need suggestions on second weapon for DW purposes.

Haunted

Is Bleed actually worthwhile in the regular SP game (not PvP)?

It seems like I never got the returns compared to elemental damage or even poison.

Also, what's mundane for?

I'd be up for a good bestiary with a 3D model viewer and some more lore, unlocked after you've beaten the game once. Especially for some of the bosses and one-time encounters.

Sullichin

Is Bleed actually worthwhile in the regular SP game (not PvP)?

It seems like I never got the returns compared to elemental damage or even poison.

Also, what's mundane for?

I'd be up for a good bestiary with a 3D model viewer and some more lore, unlocked after you've beaten the game once.

Weapons on the mundane path scale with your lowest stat. Best for weapons that don't have any scaling. But then you gotta level everything to like at least 20.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
From what I hear bleed is decided not as worthwhile in this game as it used to be, for PvE anyway

edit: Forgot to mention, last night I was jollyhelped by two spot-on novelty characters...

Mike Tyson, wearing nothing but shorts, power stancing with the champion's covenant ring
Stalin, dual-wielding a hammer and shotel (sickle)

So good

Hixx

Some dude summoned me in Doors of Pharos.

He was on the top floor. We stood and looked at each other for about 2 minutes. He tried to push a Gyrm warrior down which was pretty funny. Eventually I got bored and whipped out my bow, laced him with a few poison arrows. He ran off and used a Divine Blessing or some shit. Then ran around using Lockstones for some reason. I got bored and pulled a Mastodon, while I was fighting it he threw some Lightning Spears. He was terrible with them. Think he fell off the top because of the casting animation eventually
KuGsj.gif
All of this had taken at least 10 minutes.

He started casting some lightning storm shit I'd not seen before which hit me once. He tried it again but I destroyed him with my weapon fairly easily and you know, had to whip out a few emotes.

Honestly if he'd just tried to kill me instead of fucking around I'd probably have let him because it was so boring. But when he started acting the cunt I had to kill him.

DS2 RNG is infuriating. On my console play though I farmed Iron Keep and Door of Pharros to extinction with all the item discovery gear there is and never once got a black steel katana or Gyrm greatshield to drop for my melee build.

Now I am a Hexer on PC and my first time through each area with no item find gear and what do I get? A black steel katakana and Gyrm greatshield. I can't even use them with my stats... From is trolling me.

Grief.exe

I got summoned in Doors of Pharros, dude just hid until I started to climb that ladder, came out and started throwing sunlight spears at me.

No shame.

Sullichin

He was on the top floor. We stood and looked at each other for about 2 minutes. He tried to push a Gyrm warrior down which was pretty funny. Eventually I got bored and whipped out my bow, laced him with a few poison arrows. He ran off and used a Divine Blessing or some shit. Then ran around using Lockstones for some reason. I got bored and pulled a Mastodon, while I was fighting it he threw some Lightning Spears. He was terrible with them. Think he fell off the top because of the casting animation eventually
KuGsj.gif

He started casting some lightning storm shit I'd not seen before which hit me once. He tried it again but I destroyed him with my weapon fairly easily and you know, had to whip out a few emotes.

Honestly if he'd just tried to kill me instead of fucking around I'd probably have let him because it was so boring. But when he started acting the cunt I had to kill him.

He used the lockstones because they all
activate traps which you can use against invaders, who are automatically summoned there.

No, you cannot. You can't roll through attacks with anywhere near the same level of ease and consistency. And it isn't about ADP; it's about Agility, which can also be built up through Attunement at a lesser rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrrymfvwDv0

If your point is that you don't need the extra i-frames despite their obvious helpfulness, again, this can apply to anything else in the game. Why put the points you'd put into Agility into, say, HP, when a more effective roll means you'll be getting hit fewer times by almost any attack in the game?

You can roll consistently if you get the timing right. Anyway I understand that its not true for everyone, people will fell comfortable at different ADP/agillity. From my perspective, the difference between 50 VIG and 3 ADP and 30 VIG and 23 ADP is massively in favour for VIG.

sixghost

DS2 RNG is infuriating. On my console play though I farmed Iron Keep and Door of Pharros to extinction with all the item discovery gear there is and never once got a black steel katana or Gyrm greatshield to drop for my melee build.

Now I am a Hexer on PC and my first time through each area with no item find gear and what do I get? A black steel katakana and Gyrm greatshield. I can't even use them with my stats... From is trolling me.

Classic Dark Souls. The game senses how badly you want an item and adjusts the drop rate accordingly.

cakely

Bleed only halves the opponents stamina bar correct? It doesn't actually do any damage?

In previous games it filled up a "bleeding bar" and when that bar filled you'd take significant damage all at once.

Maybe that's changed in Dark Souls 2, I haven't dealt bleeding damage yet.

AkuMifune

Banned
Classic Dark Souls. The game senses how badly you want an item and adjusts the drop rate accordingly.

I swear that's true somehow. Super rare stuff I don't want/need = always. Anything remotely on my list = never.

Perhaps it is influenced by starting class? Any other game I'd consider that crazy talk.

Kamina

Golden Boy
How so?

I honestly think ADP is the most useless stat in the game. I've seen many people disregard it entirely as well.
I imagine you like one of those ultra greatsword wielding & very heavy armor wearing guys that can barely attack once and roll away afterwards without running out of stamina who usually get hit by my Longsword or Greatlance mid roll, get cancelled out and die fast because they can't handle to evade the rest of the hits.

I swear that's true somehow. Super rare stuff I don't want/need = always. Anything remotely on my list = never.

Perhaps it is influenced by starting class? Any other game I'd consider that crazy talk.
Thats true for every game. I used to notice it with Pokemon back in the day.

Brodents dude

Some poor guy summoned me as a grey spirit, I hit him once with one of my Halberds (my character is appropriately named TWO HALBERDS), then spent the rest of his short life trying to run away Benny Hill-style for the next 5 minutes. I keep going up against newcomers to PC and I feel bad about playing the PS3 version first...

lunlunqq

Speaking of fashion souls, what's a good superlightweight armour that looks better than my waifu being naked? Preferably something with synergy to my dual wielded maces.

Of course these (desert sorceress top + black witch pants):
IMG_4983_zps1f685a43.jpg

on my Hex waifu build.

Way better than naked, with enhanced cleavage and more exposed legs. And those heels... nggg... Feel free to switch out the head piece and gloves to something of your liking. Mine are for casters.

LiK

IMG_4983_zps1f685a43.jpg

on my Hex waifu build.

Way better than naked, with enhanced cleavage and more exposed legs. And those heels... nggg... Feel free to switch out the head piece and gloves to something of your liking. Mine are for casters.

why don't you take a real screenshot for us. :(

I wouldn't be surprised. For me, once was a coincidence, twice is a trend. I can't think of other items I tried to farm before, but a third time can't be an accident.

Probably an accident

The Iron Keep area sucks, if I'm not getting the shit beat out of me by
Smelter Demon
I'm getting either shot up by archers or invaded by 2 people at once, what the hell is going on?!

zma1013

KuGsj.gif

He wanted you to run through all the traps he used his lockstones to unlock. That's the purpose of the area really. It's quite fun actually, especially if you can take him out at the end. The dick people are the ones that just immediately try to kill you by bum rushing you with the surrounding enemies.

Mistel

Banned
In previous games it filled up a "bleeding bar" and when that bar filled you'd take significant damage all at once.

Maybe that's changed in Dark Souls 2, I haven't dealt bleeding damage yet.
You fill up the meter and you deal both bleed damage and reduce the stamina bar by 75%.

The desert sorceress top is basically a push up bra.

The Iron Keep area sucks, if I'm not getting the shit beat out of me by
Smelter Demon
I'm getting either shot up by archers or invaded by 2 people at once, what the hell is going on?!

use arrows or your gonna have a bad time
also they made Lucatiel tankier so use her to aggro Smelter
this only works if you can use magic though

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I got summoned in Doors of Pharros, dude just hid until I started to climb that ladder, came out and started throwing sunlight spears at me.

No shame.

That's how rat bros roll man.

If you want to get through the bells or rat areas, just burn an ascetic at the bonfire, that shuts off PVP for an hour.

IMG_4983_zps1f685a43.jpg

on my Hex waifu build.

Speaking of which, I need to hit up Earthen Peak and do some farming for Rosabeth.

I would love to play as a female character but my wife thinks it's really weird when I do that and that there's something wrong with me so I will just have to settle and use Rosabeth for now :p

HeelPower

PLEASE HELP

I played the game today and the performance(low FPS) is horrible for no identifiable reason.I tried changing settings and nothing would work.

This feels terrible.The game was running great for nearly 8 hours :( What can I do ?

LiK

Speaking of which, I need to hit up Earthen Peak and do some farming for Rosabeth.

I would love to play as a female character but my wife thinks it's really weird when I do that and that there's something wrong with me so I will just have to settle and use Rosabeth for now :p

hey man, do what you want. i play females whenever i can. a strong female character is just too sexy.

fade_

PLEASE HELP

I played the game today and the performance(low FPS) is horrible for no identifiable reason.I tried changing settings and nothing would work.

This feels terrible.The game was running great for nearly 8 hours :( What can I do ?

Try to see if there is a steam update as there was a memory leak in one of the beta versions. Also restart your PC. Mine was acting funny after the latest patch until I restarted for some reason.

Ok. I guess I gotta ask here since it seems like my OP weapon I was looking forward to isn't that beastly at the end of the day.

I currently have +10 claymore with lightning infused in it. I was planning on eventually getting the
Defender Greatsword
as I kept hearing that it was the best faith weapon in the game because it scales S with faith/lightning when you infuse it into the weapon. But hearing thoughts online it seems that if you plan to use sunlight blade to buff your electricity damage in your weapon, that the claymore ends up doing more (since you can't buff DGS with this but with its own buffer, that isn't as strong or lasts as long). So everything is pointing to my lightning claymore doing more damage at the end of the day if I use sunlight blade.

Is there another weapon/boss weapon that scales with faith that can outperform the lightning claymore? Like i said I'll probably still make the DGS since I'm not planning on making another boss weapon because I can't think of another weapon that could benefit from a lot of faith.

HeelPower

Try to see if there is a steam update as there was a memory leak in one of the beta versions. Also restart your PC. Mine was acting funny after the latest patch until I restarted for some reason.

pardon but what do you mean by memory leak ?

Idk what happened but this seems to be related to the patch as well.Dammit :/

Uthred

Any casters out there not using the Lion Mage set? I'm sick of looking like a murder hobo but the boost is just so good

DJ_Lae

Oh man the
Looking Glass Knight.
is probably the roughest boss I've fought so far.

Summons have been mostly useless too.

Nabs

No shame.

I spawn camp in a closet to the left, and just let the person walk by me as I throw down carvings.

So I mentioned this earlier but I'll ask again since i think it's really weird but cool. While listeing to music using Foobar2000 in the background while I play whenever i have an online interaction(invasion, arena, co op etc) the music dims really low and as soon the online interaction is over the music comes back up. What's doing this? I like it though just find it really odd.

The Darkdrift's two handed R2 is so dirty in PvP. Goes right through shields and people never see it coming.

Also a funny lil invasion I just had.

Bad lightning spear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom