• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Er what the hell is with
the giant ant thing down in The Gutter?
It just sat there and let me kill it and then there was nothing behind it?
You're a terrible person. That is all.

The queen ant emits a gas that cures poison.

So after researching how to farm petrified dragon bones with little to no risk, I found a way that works perfectly, unfortunately it also requires a lot of bonfire ascetics and I fucked myself over from the best farming spot by killing the covenant spokesperson.

Any good ideas on how to farm bonfire ascetics? I hear that if you invade in
black gulch
and kill the host you can get them but I'd need confirmation.

FtHTiny

So after researching how to farm petrified dragon bones with little to no risk, I found a way that works perfectly, unfortunately it also requires a lot of bonfire ascetics and I fucked myself over from the best farming spot by killing the covenant spokesperson.

Any good ideas on how to farm bonfire ascetics? I hear that if you invade in
black gulch
and kill the host you can get them but I'd need confirmation.

The blue phantom npc´s in the abyss drop them pretty often.

The blue phantom npc´s in the abyss drop them pretty often.

Lol that's the place I fucked myself over by killing the covenant leader. He didn't want to let me join and I really wanted
dragon chime
so I murderized him. Only NPC I've killed too. So yeah with him gone don't know if I can enter that area now.

onionfrog

I just want to clarify that those green dudes drop
titanite shards. Not large titanite shards or chunks, but standard regular shards. Unless larger ones are rare drops.

In my experience as to how farming goes in this game, as far as I am currently, the order is:

Titanite shards-
you get them from the green hammer dudes in Harvest Valley. There should be at least 7-8 nearby the mine bonfire and the lower earthern peak bonfire

Large Titanite shards-
I'm pretty sure the hand monsters that spawn from the pools in black gulch drop these.

Titanite chunks-
Honestly best way is to join Bell Bros] as everytime you successfully kill the world's player, you get a titanite chunk. Also not sure how it works but if you talk to the covenant spokesperson after killing a decent amount of them he seems to give you titanite slabs.

Titanite slabs- Either in the same covenant after a certain amount of successful invasions or I don't know how but you can probably buy them after a certain point.

Twinkling titanite- this has been a pain because nobody I find seems to drop them where I currently am in the game
3/4 great souls and headed to shaded woods
so any equipment that requires twinkling titanite to upgrade has been put in the back burner unless I genuinely need it (dragon chime) since I gotta wait till I can acquire these. Somebody already told me where to farm them though and it seems like it won't be for a couple of more locations.

Apparently Chloanne doesn't start selling unlimited versions of the better titanite stuff until you clear certain areas. With the one I just cleared she apparently is now selling regular shards unlimited.
One more thing.
Titanite Chunks:
They'll also occasionally drop from the Dwarves in the Doors of Pharros area.

Sullichin

Lol that's the place I fucked myself over by killing the covenant leader. He didn't want to let me join and I really wanted
dragon chime
so I murderized him. Only NPC I've killed too. So yeah with him gone don't know if I can enter that area now.

Go back to him. You should be able to pay some souls at his grave to bring him back. You can with other NPCs.

zma1013

Er what the hell is with
the giant ant thing down in The Gutter?
It just sat there and let me kill it and then there was nothing behind it?

Most likely some rejected enemy or boss design or they just didn't have time to actually do anything with it and so they just stuck it in a cave because they felt bad that someone spent all that time modeling such a scary looking creature for it to not be in the game.

I used to play shield souls, but I just hated how battles dragged on and you only had enough stamina to swing once or twice. Its better to get good at dodging/pump points into adaption and keeping your vigor high enough for under 70% equip load and then just two hand or power stance souls. Shields really are only beneficial for multi boss encounters like
Ruined sentinels
and going through levels. Also stock up on dem resins because besides pumping points into strength, thats the best source of extra damage. I find infused weapons for non magic users a waste of time because they take such a big chunk out of scaling and physical that you're doing way less total damage than you would with a resin. I wish you could infuse weapons to change their attack type though, or like demon's souls where you could pump up the dex or strength scaling and sacrifice the other scaling.

Jito

Banned
Well I don't feel so bad bout killing that thing because it looked horrific, shame it didn't hit me back at all though! Also
WHAT THE HELL GIANTS IN THE BLACK GULTCH!

justjim89

The merchant near the bonfire you find by blowing up a wall in Last Bastille won't sell me anything. He just keeps talking about an ember, but I haven't seen one yet in the game.

Am I not meant to interact with him yet?

LiK

The merchant near the bonfire you find by blowing up a wall in Last Bastille won't sell me anything. He just keeps talking about an ember, but I haven't seen one yet in the game.

Well, waddya waiting for? Look for the ember!

finalflame

The ember he wants is somewhere in the game, but probably further ahead than where you are. Or you missed it, I did until I finished the game and looked it up.

AkuMifune

Banned
It's not just you, poise also isn't as effective as it used to be.

But how not effective to the point that should I care about it?

Like my current chest piece has a 0 poise, but one that has slightly weaker stats has 16. Is it worth eating the weaker stats for an increase of 16 poise? I can't wrap my head around how much is needed vs keeping a higher defense rating.

Gazoinks

Yeah, you'll find an ember later in the game you can give to him that'll make him pay attention to you.

You need that ember to activate his services.

Ellite25

I've beaten the game and got the boss soul weapons that I wanted. Should I just consume the other boss souls before NG+ so I can spend it on other things?

zma1013

I've beaten the game and got the boss soul weapons that I wanted. Should I just consume the other boss souls before NG+ so I can spend it on other things?

Eh? Why not just get all the boss weapons? Since you can change your character's stats, you may want to try different kinds of weapons. If you don't think you're going to do that, then might as well use them up.

I just traded all their souls for the weapons and spells because leveling up in this game is quick and you can get more souls from anywhere, whereas you can only get the boss souls specifically from the bosses.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You rang? Had to use a Bonfire Ascetic to get that chest piece. This is my favorite set up.
I do believe I'll be all over that. My blue skin will be nice contrast too :p

If you happen to know offhand, what are the hood and gauntlets you're using?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSUDacqsl8

You don't need those i-frames at all.

Think of it like this. Low ADP, you can dodge fine, window is small. High ADP window slightly bigger. If you get the timing right which is not hard at all you can save yourself from wasting 20+ points.
This isn't exactly "wrong" but a terrible attitude. :p

ADP may be useless to you but that doesn't make it a useless stat. I will always have low armor and no shield, and one frame too few can mean the difference between getting hit or not, which especially hollow is often the difference between life or death. I rely heavily on the invincibility from rolling, even chaining rolls toward an enemy to stay in the fight, and I need ADP even just to get my character back to the fluidity with which I could do so in Dark Souls. AGL also affects your speed drinking estus, which I frequently do between rolls, and parrying, which is a huge part of my gameplay even if it's an afterthought for you.

You can be successful many different ways in these games which is like 75% of the charm to me. What's wasteful to you is crucial to others, that's just the way it goes.

so at the end o
f huntsmans corpse with the red phantom
, how the hell do you kill this guy? I finally get through the gauntlet of dudes previous by inching my way through and this guy decimates me.

Ive ran
across the bridge and he doesnt follow and gets stuck in a sort of loop chasing me
but then because i guess maybe i have nothing but bad arrow skill (what?) it barely hurts him so i run out and he kills me. Should i just go farm souls but 1000 arrows and wait him out?

Does anyone know why all those ENB or sweet fx presets make black appear as grey? is a filter or something? I hate seeing black as gray

so at the end o
f huntsmans corpse with the red phantom
, how the hell do you kill this guy? I finally get through the gauntlet of dudes previous by inching my way through and this guy decimates me.

Ive ran
across the bridge and he doesnt follow and gets stuck in a sort of loop chasing me
but then because i guess maybe i have nothing but bad arrow skill (what?) it barely hurts him so i run out and he kills me. Should i just go farm souls but 1000 arrows and wait him out?

If you have any type of magic at all, it's helpful. If not, try circling around.

So this fucking sucks. I went to check if
Darkdiver Grandhal's
grave was there and it was. I paid the souls and prayed. But if you haven't joined the covenant you're apparently fucked and he doesn't resume duties. The one fucking dude I killed is the one that doesn't want to do shit if you kill him. Freaking beautiful. This means I gotta wait till new game plus or use a bonfire ascetic, but I hear those dungeons are hard as it is.

Uthred

As I was edging my way through one of the later levels, sniping enemies from far away and twatting every chest I came across before trying to open it, I wondered how much time the people complaining the game is easier have put into the franchise at large? I know I wasnt surprised that I found Dark Souls easier than Demon Souls, because I'd put well over a hundred hours into the former. The same thing applies to Dark Souls 2. While all the sequels have been different the same general approach and skills are largely and easily transferable from one to the other so it would have been next to impossible for FROM to make the game a challenge to people who have put so much time into the previous games without making it inaccessible to new players. Though at least they seem to made some allowance for that by adding the "Hardmode" covenant. I also think people are somewhat buying into the myth of the Souls series difficulty, theyve never been as hard as marketing/internet hype portray them to be.

It took awhile, but the Majula song has really grown on me. I love the dissonance, and I think it captures the feel of the area perfectly.

zma1013

So this fucking sucks. I went to check if
Darkdiver Grandhal's
grave was there and it was. I paid the souls and prayed. But if you haven't joined the covenant you're apparently fucked and he doesn't resume duties. The one fucking dude I killed is the one that doesn't want to do shit if you kill him. Freaking beautiful. This means I gotta wait till new game plus or use a bonfire ascetic, but I hear those dungeons are hard as it is.

I don't think bonfire ascetics bring NPCs back to life do they? Tis the price for getting greedy about his weapon, which he gives you anyways when you reach rank 3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So 20 ADP is good enough?

Zeliard

It's actually a little funny how annoying I found that, it's like I took umbrage on behalf of my necessarily-quite-agile character

His point of view is completely nonsensical. "It adds i-frames but you don't need them."

Buh?

You can say this sort of thing about literally any stat in the game.

You don't technically need any stat - hence the SL1 run - but they're all useful in their own way. There's no Resistance dump stat this time around.

Regardless I haven't put any points in ADP and I'm doing just fine with dodging, even if I don't have much invincibility out of it.

Also as to my conundrum I found that NPC's revive in New Game Plus. So that's that I guess. Guess I'll have to wait for new game plus before attempting those dungeons and that covenant.

I don't think bonfire ascetics bring NPCs back to life do they? Tis the price for getting greedy about his weapon, which he gives you anyways when you reach rank 3.
nah just researched they don't. And yes greed took the best of me. But this whole game is about greed anyways I can't be looked down upon haha

Booshka

So 20 ADP is good enough?

Whatever gets you to 95-100 agility. I lean more toward to 100 agility, a little closer to the feel of Demon's and Dark 1 roll i-frames, but 95 is perfectly serviceable if you get used to the timing on your rolls and enemy attacks.

akaoni

Banned
When I made my last character ADP was the first thing I maxed. You literally roll the bosses with a fast moving build, even the what seems to be infamous smelter demon.

Hood is Black Leather Armor(Only the male version has the hood)

Gauntlets are Engraved Gaunlets. They are kinda heavy and have bad stats but they have rare chance to make a normal attack become a critical. happens enough for me to make them worth it.

I linked the wiki pages but there may be some light spoilers about how you get these items.

Please stop spreading nonsense.

How so?

I honestly think ADP is the most useless stat in the game. I've seen many people disregard it entirely as well.

lol with this games funky hitboxes you definitely need at least 20ADP unless you're one of those weirdos who tries to block everything

Your most likely right. Theres nothing wrong with blocking though. I get into extreme turtle mode as soon as I see anyone with a resonant/SB weapon. I did the same in DkS against DMB.

This isn't exactly "wrong" but a terrible attitude. :p

ADP may be useless to you but that doesn't make it a useless stat. I will always have low armor and no shield, and one frame too few can mean the difference between getting hit or not, which especially hollow is often the difference between life or death. I rely heavily on the invincibility from rolling, even chaining rolls toward an enemy to stay in the fight, and I need ADP even just to get my character back to the fluidity with which I could do so in Dark Souls. AGL also affects your speed drinking estus, which I frequently do between rolls, and parrying, which is a huge part of my gameplay even if it's an afterthought for you.

You can be successful many different ways in these games which is like 75% of the charm to me. What's wasteful to you is crucial to others, that's just the way it goes.

I can understand what your saying. People are mistaking me, thinking that you have to be some pro player to dodge roll at low ADP -___- The window between high and base ADP is not much at all and so I would recommend greatly to at least try low ADP. If you keep getting hit and feel its off then thats fine.

Whatever suits you best.

His point of view is completely nonsensical. "It adds i-frames but you don't need them."

Buh?

You can say this sort of thing about literally any stat in the game.

You can do everything a 40 ADP character can do with base ADP with the exception of fast Estus chugging.

That cannot be said with any other stat can it? So unless you want fast estus chugging I think you should at least try base ADP. If you get used to it, you will save yourself a lot of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom