• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Yeah, all 4 Great Souls down! I actually really liked
The Gutter.
Wish it was longer! Loved the atmosphere, how you had to use your torch and everything.
Black Gulch
sucked, but it's super short so it doesn't really count.

Drangleic Castle
is suitably majestic. Of course I died before finding the bonfire. ;_;

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Belfrys work in this way: you enter, you get invaded by 1 or 2 guys depending how long it takes you to get through the area and reach the end.
Belfry Luna had the boss fight, Belfry Sol doesn't.

There are two things I've noticed with the Belfrys though. If you go in get invaded and get killed, if you come back and attempt it again right afterwards you won't get invaded immediately if at all. So for those who are solo'ing this is great as you can run to the other end. If you're human and summon that increases chances. If you're summoned and return to your world, you'll get invaded immediately. I have no proof for this besides what I've personally experienced though, but it has been a pattern for now

oh theres another Belfry? I havent found it

Levyne

Banned
Oh man, the giants in one of the memories are kind of ruthless considering the time limit. Ending up just running past them all to get the item at the end, killing the lone one there. I'm sure I could clear the area with more time but I'm too cautious to defeat them quickly, haha.

Yeah, all 4 Great Souls down! I actually really liked
The Gutter.
Wish it was longer! Loved the atmosphere, how you had to use your torch and everything.
Black Gulch
sucked, but it's super short so it doesn't really count.

Drangleic Castle
is suitably majestic. Of course I died before finding the bonfire. ;_;

I did my run through the Black Gulch today and took someone's advice on Emit Force for knocking down the poison spitting statues. Made the area a lot more fun. Sitting back and sniping them with binoculars was a blast. Did a few runs as a shade and I think all the melee folks appreciated it.

Gazoinks

I did my run through the Black Gulch today and took someone's advice on Emit Force for knocking down the poison spitting statues. Made the area a lot more fun. Sitting back and sniping them with binoculars was a blast. Did a few runs as a shade and I think all the melee folks appreciated it.

Oh, that's a good idea. I don't think I ever got the binocs. I just ran at them from the side and gave them a whack with my big sword.

Rich!

every sunbro I've summoned so far to help me (two phantoms at a time) has been killed by the ancient dragon

holy fuck

Finally, I saw Amazon shipped a Collector's Edition my way today, I should get it by Saturday if everything goes well.
Hoping the statue will be pretty and well painted \o/

Oh man, the giants in one of the memories are kind of ruthless considering the time limit. Ending up just running past them all to get the item at the end, killing the lone one there. I'm sure I could clear the area with more time but I'm too cautious to defeat them quickly, haha.

I've just been filling them with poison arrows and then moving on. A lot less risky than getting up in their face and still relatively quick.

Zafir

Finally, I saw Amazon shipped a Collector's Edition my way today, I should get it by Saturday if everything goes well.
Hoping the statue will be pretty and well painted \o/
I take it you mean Amazon UK? If so, could you let me know what your Collector's Edition contains(when you get it)? I got mine from Shopto today and it seems to be missing the soundtrack and dlc.

AngryMoth

LOL. Again, how could anyone enjoy that escapes my mind.
That's a pretty extreme example. Sure I run into lag like that occasionally but not that often. I've had a lot of amazing fights on pvp on this game. Having said that somethings like trusting attacks are consistently annoying in terms of lag but it's not too bad once you learn to account for it.

Gigarator

Spent a couple of hours going through D. Shrine in the hope of getting the Greatshield of Glory from one of the giants. Sure enough I've gone and cleared out the zone with nothing to show for my efforts but a bunch of armour sets I don't want.

Question is, do I need to deal with a certain dragon in order to use a bonfire ascetic in this zone?
He's not flagged as a boss currently if that makes a difference.

Yeah my biggest stress from PvP encounters is if there's horrible lag where the guy will be away and I'll dodge his weapon/spell but I still get hurt because of lag. Fuck that. It doesn't happen too much but seriously, it shouldn't be this hard for servers where two people are online to work. Maybe I'm just used to consoles where this isn't as common as it is here. It hasn't occurred so much that I want to turn off cross-region play, but if there's one really bad instance I'll turn off cross region.

Vitor711

So who said that this game doesn't have a week last half? Because I just started doing
the black and white memory bits and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. Because we all know what DkS needed - timed missions. Pfsh.

I must be on the home stretch now, right? 33 hours in and about ready for the game to wrap up to be honest. Will probably dabble a tiny bit in NG+ but I'm not one to devote that much time to any one game outside of DOTA.

do you need to do something to get summoned for some covenants?

ive join the bell keepers/ blue sentinel and way of blue covenants and all three gave me a ring, but i equip it and nothing happens, i never get summoned.

Obviously not using the rings while im in another covenant.

Any tips for dealing with the magic users and priest dudes in front of the Shrine of Amana fog door? First part of the game that has gotten legitimately raging. Melee build with pyromancy as my go to ranged option.

Grief.exe

Any tips for dealing with the magic users and priest dudes in front of the Shrine of Amana fog door? First part of the game that has gotten legitimately raging. Melee build with a pyromancy as my go to ranged option.

Ya that part and the next area are really tough for melee. Try using a bow.

Any tips for dealing with the magic users and priest dudes in front of the Shrine of Amana fog door? First part of the game that has gotten legitimately raging. Melee build with a pyromancy as my go to ranged option.

In the last building there is a summon sign for a NPC. She does a good job of keeping everything busy while you pick them off.

But personally I just used a bow.

Vitor711

Any tips for dealing with the magic users and priest dudes in front of the Shrine of Amana fog door? First part of the game that has gotten legitimately raging. Melee build with pyromancy as my go to ranged option.

Ha, that was me yesterday. You can pick off the two front spellcasters before engaging the knights.

You have to kill the one on the left first though otherwise you aggro the knights. Also, I hope you can kill the spellcasters in two hits because that's all the time you have to attack before the knights will be all up in your face.

Then it's just a case of back peddling and stamina management. It's tough and the homing missiles feel cheap but it's doable. Took me like 6 times though.

So after reading some more on the subject, it doesn't seem like there's a better option between lightning+10 claymore and a lightning Defender Greatsword +5. I think it all comes down to your preference, how high your faith is and whether you're willing to use sunlight blade. So once I reach new game plus I'll probably scale accordingly to use the most versatile armor and ring combo and keep my weight percentage under 70. Then go absolute apeshit with faith points. Current goal is to get Faith to at least 65.

You know what this game needs? A dummy in Majula that you can attack to test out your weapon's damage.

I just beat the (boss name)
Old Iron King
which puts me at about half way through the game I guess. The last few bosses have been... unimaginative, to say the least.

Is there any way to check how many times you've died?

BPoole

I think I'm going to try out this Mastodon Halberd.
I've been using it and really like it. I infused mine with Fire and have it upgraded to +7 and it does 604 damage with a Strength of 42. Only downsides are that it is really heavy and sincr the blade hits the ground on every attack, it's durability isn't that great

i just finished iron keep, but i dont know where to go, i though maybe was the pit in majula using a ladder, but the door is closed and cant go anywhere...

where do i need to go?

LiK

I just beat the (boss name)
Old Iron King
which puts me at about half way through the game I guess. The last few bosses have been... unimaginative, to say the least.

Is there any way to check how many times you've died?

go offline and check the death plaque at Majula

and you're not even halfway ;)

So who said that this game doesn't have a week last half? Because I just started doing
the black and white memory bits and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. Because we all know what DkS needed - timed missions. Pfsh.

I must be on the home stretch now, right? 33 hours in and about ready for the game to wrap up to be honest. Will probably dabble a tiny bit in NG+ but I'm not one to devote that much time to any one game outside of DOTA.

Yes, you're on the home stretch. Those parts you mention are pretty dull. There are some great sequences in the back half of the game (
Shrine of Amana, Undead Crypt, Dragon Aerie
), but they tend to be very short.

Find or forge a magic-resistant shield. It will make your life much easier.

Mistel

Banned
i just finished iron keep, but i dont know where to go, i though maybe was the pit in majula using a ladder, but the door is closed and cant go anywhere...

where do i need to go?
You open that door by going deeper into the pit to the gutter and black gulch.

I think I'm a bit overpowered at this point in the game against bosses. Maybe I put too many points into faith I don't know. I don't think bosses should be this easy. The last boss I had issues with was the
vanguard
but that's mostly cause I kept getting poisoned and there were way too many. Hopefully shaded woods has tougher boss fights.

The one bad part about being a BellBro is running to the covenant lead only to get dual invaded and murdered. Was in there literally 2 seconds.

I got invaded by Rocky Balboa.

Just found the Sun covenant. BellBro or SunBro....?

A sincere fuck you to all the Belltower covenant invaders. May you burn in gamer-hell forever once your respawns run out.

"Bow" Gesture

do you need to do something to get summoned for some covenants?

ive join the bell keepers/ blue sentinel and way of blue covenants and all three gave me a ring, but i equip it and nothing happens, i never get summoned.

Obviously not using the rings while im in another covenant.

Blue Sentinel is lame in NG it seems. If you are a BellBro : Put on Ring > Travel to Lost Bastille bonfire (i do mcduffs or towers apart) > Profit. Literally so many summons.

xBladeM6x

Trying to do the Chariot boss as a pure sorcerer seems near impossible, just because of the extra enemies. I really hate bosses with mobs to add to them, just to bump that bullshit artificial difficulty.

eot

Banned
I'm disappointed with the lack of differentiation between certain weapons, it feels like a regression. The Zwei has, as far as I could tell, the exact same moveset as the BK Greatsword, which had a very unique moveset in the first game.

Brightstone
When I couldn't damage the boss and saw that it had "Duke's" in the name I figured this was a throwback to Seath and spent ages trying to attack that string of spiderweb hanging from the dragon statue(?) in the back of the room. Just have to hit the head apparently, and if you run around in circles the adds seem to get confused, I barely had to kill any of them. It's a bit lame though that it has this beam attack and the best way to deal with it is attacking the other head instead of doing a nice dodge through it.

bobawesome

Well, there's really only one giant memory that's mandatory and even then I think you'll have plenty of time for it. There was one memory where I did feel pressed for time though so I know where you're coming from. And yes, you're very close to the end.

knitoe

Trying to do the Chariot boss as a pure sorcerer seems near impossible, just because of the extra enemies. I really hate bosses with mobs to add to them, just to bump that bullshit artificial difficulty.
Yeah. That boss was the reason I stop playing my sorc for awhile and started a melee. I solo him with the melee easily. I just recently went back to my sorc and respec. You need to get endurance, got mine to 20, so you can block the skellies hits and summon a melee. I was finally able to pass him on my sorc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom