• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to Shaded Woods, takes a many magic spells to kill them lion warrior. I was like wtf since I have been 2-3 hitting trash mobs. Then, I read to just backstab with begginning dagger. They die in one hit. Is backstab that insanely powerful?

The dagger has a hidden sky-high critical rating. Some weapons are like that.

Timu

Just got to Shaded Woods, takes a many magic spells to kill them lion warrior. I was like wtf since I have been 2-3 hitting trash mobs. Then, I read to just backstab with begginning dagger. They die in one hit. Is backstab that insanely powerful?
Yes, backstab is godlike in this game, I also one hit kill those lion warriors from a backstab with a mace.

Jintor

SL 125, HP 25, STR 45, Stamina 25, Great soul arrow, Enchanted Falchion +10, ...can't remember what shield but it's a +10 with 100% block.

The fire the dragon breathes just one-shot kills me

Gywrm Greatshield has 100 fire resist. Equip it and beat the shit out of him.

Sullichin

Dagger backstabs are really good, but these guys are just insanely resistant to all forms of magic. They die in 2 hits from their own weapon (Lion Greataxe).

Primal knights in the door of pharros.

2nd and 3rd dragon crest ring is your best friend then along with a royal soldiers ring.

I haven't found those rings. To be fair I still haven't beaten my fourth big soul dude. So once I do that I'll start to look for those rings. Thanks. Once I have fully upgraded DGS and Mastodon Greatsword I guess I'll give them all a try to see which I do better with.

Sullichin

I think I'm done with this game. Stupid AI and NPCs hanging out near a bunch of enemies for some asinine reason is already bad enough, but after reading where the fucking pardoner is hidden and how insanely expensive his services are, I lost all motivation to carry on.

I've probably almost 200 hours between the PS3 and PC versions and I haven't needed his services yet because the penalties for killing NPCs are far less severe than DS and especially DeS. It's not that big of a deal if you aggro one of them by accident. Also, I found this guy on my first playthrough. I usually leave a message
in front of the ladder
to tip others off because it tends to get high ratings, but it's really not that hidden. The game rewards exploration more elaborate than that. If you're willing to give the game another shot I recommend trying to not get caught up on your playthrough going perfectly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jesus Christ:
No Mans Wharf
One bonfire only. No alternate weapons. Good lord.

I gotta raise my DEX and STR I guess... but I'm still trying to raise my attunements to use spells, which I still haven't found items to use those for. ARGH.

Mistel

Banned
I don't think that would help. My sin level is 0, I just need to un-aggro that idiot. Oh well...
Sin some more double the fun. It takes 10 to reach sinner status so you've probably sinned already and yo don't know.
I love that sword, upgrade it more and it does wonders.=p
It's the backup weapon for my faith estoc dual wield build so helpful.

I haven't found those rings. To be fair I still haven't beaten my fourth big soul dude. So once I do that I'll start to look for those rings. Thanks. Once I have fully upgraded DGS and Mastodon Greatsword I guess I'll give them all a try to see which I do better with.
You probably walked straight past them then the first soldiers ring is easy to miss in the wharf.

Gattsu25

Banned
So I'm visiting the family over the weekend and would like to bring my dark souls saves with me.

Has anyone had any luck with backing up and migrating their saves? Where are the saves located?

Sin some more double the fun. It takes 10 to reach sinner status so you've probably sinned already and yo don't know.

It's the backup weapon for my faith estoc dual wield build so helpful.

You probably walked straight past them then the first soldiers ring is easy to miss in the wharf.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I really don't wanna go back there and have no need right now. I might just wait for the +1 variation since I wasn't planning in wearing two of them anyways.

so, the boss souls. any of them worth using or just get souls from them?

i have strength build going right now.

Just check a list of weapons you can make from them. See if one calls your attention, consume the ones that don't. Or google a good strength build weapon, see if a boss weapon makes the list.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really should have googled before taking my Mastodon Greatsword to +10. I figured it might make a higher damage replacement for the Bastard Sword, but it turns out it actually does less damage in combat despite having better stats (except dex scaling) and being much heavier. Oh well, live and learn.

Mistel

Banned
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I really don't wanna go back there and have no need right now. I might just wait for the +1 variation since I wasn't planning in wearing two of them anyways.
You can get the second dragon crest ring from shaded woods with ease.
Edit: I'm STR + faith
A lightning infused pursuer greatsword you might of enjoyed as a strength character, 2 handed of course for the better move set.

The disdain towards Rat Authority is justified. I have seen the proof.

Holding Y/Triangle with two applicable weapons and 150% their stat reqs to go into a specific stance that has special, powerful moves with L1/L2 that use both weapons simultaneously.

It's the only way I play.

What. REALLY?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAT A GAMECHANGER!!

I've only been playing half a game.

Is there any way to tell what weapons are 'applicable' while in-game, or is that strictly a thing that needs to be wiki'd?

burgerdog

Any tips on what I should do with my blacksteel katana? I already have a bastard sword +10 which I think I've mastered and now want to try something new.

JediLink

Is it just me or is pyromancy a lot weaker in this game? I'm struggling to find reasons to use fireballs instead of soul arrows. They're so much slower, have way less casts, and really don't seem to do that much more damage. (I'm using Great Soul Arrow with a Sorcerer's Staff +8, Fire Orb with a Pyromancy Flame +10, and I have 27 int and 6 faith.)

Have I just not found the good spells/pyromancy flames yet?

Gattsu25

Banned
Is it just me or is pyromancy a lot weaker in this game? I'm struggling to find reasons to use fireballs instead of soul arrows. They're so much slower, have way less casts, and really don't seem to do that much more damage. (I'm using Great Soul Arrow with a Sorcerer's Staff +8, Fire Orb with a Pyromancy Flame +10, and I have 27 int and 6 faith.)

Supposedly the Flame Swathe spell is pretty good for the first two or so playthroughs (NG and NG+ or Bonfire levels 1 and 2, respectively)

Levyne

Banned
Huh, so I joined the bell keepers, put on the ring, but was still invaded when I entered, and the regular enemies are still hostile?

I'm in
Brightstone Cove
and I just
accidentally killed Pate and the person he was fighting.

Did I just screw up badly?

I did the same thing my first time.
You can still acquire their armor from Malentia, but if you kill both you miss out on a key that opens a locked door in the area with a unique item. The Engraved Gauntlets which give a small chance that a normal attack does critical damage.

Outside of that, you don't miss out on anything major.

Gattsu25

Banned
Huh, so I joined the bell keepers, put on the ring, but was still invaded when I entered, and the regular enemies are still hostile?

Yes.

Being a member of the covenant + wearing the ring means you get warped in whenever someone is in the zone, regardless of that target's covenant.

Being in the zone = you are a target.

You defend the bell when others invade. But others include you as well. Unlike the rat covenant where the mobs won't attack you in specific places.

edit: not being invaded would remove 80% of the reason of doing the belfry towers. They're completely optional.

Mistel

Banned
I really should have googled before taking my Mastodon Greatsword to +10. I figured it might make a higher damage replacement for the Bastard Sword, but it turns out it actually does less damage in combat despite having better stats (except dex scaling) and being much heavier. Oh well, live and learn.
Going by the AR values a mastodon is better than a bastard.

A sincere fuck you to all the Belltower covenant invaders. May you burn in gamer-hell forever once your respawns run out.
Even this jolly bloke I met earlier?

bellfrylunaticgskuf.png

He even had the right shield and weapon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I thought I read pyro scaled from both your int and faith, and you have really low faith. Or was that hexes?

Ah yeah, I'm fine with that, I'm just going for the rank 2 spell, and I guess I thought it would work like the Rat one.

Thanks for the answers!

I believe you still get credit to your rank up if you are the host. You dont just have to be the invader/belfry defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom