• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
The most obvious hint: Put as much as you can into faith. Get electricity damage weapons asap as those scale the best with faith. Besides that just find weapons/armor that suit your playstyle, but make sure to carry a chime and get the different variations of the lightning spears asap.

Where can I find the first vendor for miracles/spells? I never really paid attention to those on my Knight's playthrough.

Uthred

I knew that hole in the ground was bad news, ended up in
Blight Town.2 =_=

Also finally managed to find a better catalyst, but still can't shake the feeling magic feels underpowered compared to DS1.

Magic, well sorcery anyhow, is weaker than in DS, but then again it was basically easy mode in DS so something had to be done.

Where can I find the first vendor for miracles/spells? I never really paid attention to those on my Knight's playthrough.
Licia, found next to the bonfire up the stairs from the Dragonrider boss fight.

Taruranto

Also I got summoned as a
grey spirit
while exploring the
rat's catacomb (DS channeling Planescape?)
despite the fact I wasn't in the covenant, shit was weird lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
so does using luck stones to get better smooth and silky rewards work?

i got a petrified something and a bunch of stones waiting to be traded

Also I got summoned as a
grey spirit
while exploring the
yeah this happened to me as well, tho somewhere else. really weird

Also I got summoned as a
grey spirit
while exploring the

If you're in an area where the Rat Covenant has control and you're not part of the covenant, members can keep summoning you into their world as a grey spirit to try and kill you and get rewards. Don't know what you meant by that area though.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's because there's no bonfire in Belfry Luna to burn an effigy at. ;)
yeah, i didn't know it was area-restricted

If you're in an area where the Rat Covenant has control and you're not part of the covenant, members can keep summoning you into their world as a grey spirit to try and kill you and get rewards. Don't know what you meant by that area though.
speaking of this, it would be cool to have like two covenants fighting for control over an area, just like the covenant that has a higher aggregated level of all its members rules the area and like there are different enemy spawns and whatever.

tho i guess with the rampant cheating it might be not so great

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Felt so satisfying to return to the Tower
of Flame and wipe the floor with the Dragonrider. This was the first area I went to out of Things Betwixt and made it to him rapidly (those knights can't catch me ;)) but found I was doing tiny tiny damage to him, and then moved on to the Forest...
something like this has happened to me in every Souls game. :p

My character is starting to shape up. I've always loved the controls in these games, but this one might have the scheme that allows me to play my kind of character in the most fun way. If it holds true, this might wind up my favorite of the series just for that reason. Great controls are everything! Swapping between regular dual-wielding, power stance, and two-handing, plus the new left-hand attacks, puts so many moves at your disposal that you feel deadly even against foes that can take tons of hits. Watching the weapon durability and attacking with each accordingly honestly adds an interesting dynamic and so far I think it was a good way to change up the stress factor getting from bonfire to bonfire.

Man, what an easy boss though
KuGsj.gif
He gave way more souls than he should have for killing him ;)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like I'm off on the wrong foot with this. About an hour in and I'm trying to go through the forest, and I don't remember DS being this tedious right off the bat. So after many tries I get to that better sword on the wall that makes it easier, but it broke on me so damn easily that I'm just kinda stunned. Where's the first place to get something repaired?

Cyrano

If I want to use a weapon buff sorcery occasionally, should I upgrade the staff or does that not matter?
Depends on if you're going to use Sorcery for anything other than a weapon buff. If yes, then you should level it, if no, I wouldn't bother.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I feel like I'm off on the wrong foot with this. About an hour in and I'm trying to go through the forest, and I don't remember DS being this tedious right off the bat. So after many tries I get to that better sword on the wall that makes it easier, but it broke on me so damn easily that I'm just kinda stunned. Where's the first place to get something repaired?
You'll get
a blacksmith's key soon.

Items repair (before being broken) if you sit at a bonfire. Keep your eye on your durability and it'll click with you soon I bet.

"About an hour in" made me chuckle... I spent six hours on the first level in Demon's Souls before even unlocking the first shortcut, came pretty close to giving up. Remember the feeling of triumph in the other games you haven't experienced yet in DS2, and it will motivate you to get there ;)

Can someone explain these to me...?
DTcUGJ5.png

There's a blacksmith in Majula but you need to get the key to the shop to open it. You get it soon, to get it you
buy it from the first merchant you find, she's right next to the second bonfire in the forest

Wondering if I should just go ng+ already. Haven't beat vendrick or the dragon yet but don't really want the items or the souls. PvP is getting harder to find already and I ran out of soul vessels, twinkling titanites and human effigies. I also need some ng+ rings but don't wanna use more ascetics.

You'll get
a blacksmith's key soon.

Items repair (before being broken) if you sit at a bonfire. Keep your eye on your durability and it'll click with you soon I bet.

"About an hour in" made me chuckle... I spent six hours on the first level in Demon's Souls before even unlocking the first shortcut, came pretty close to giving up. Remember the feeling of triumph in the other games you haven't experienced yet in DS2, and it will motivate you to get there ;)

DTcUGJ5.png

It's how much damage your weapon does, and how much damage it will do if you level up whatever stat you're leveling. It's for the 3 right hand slots and 3 left hand slots. Also, shields have an attack rating (I think you can use shields as weapons, not sure about that, never tried it).

Gazoinks

Haha, I just had the best experience with one of those player phantoms you see fading in and out. I'm in
Drangleic Castle,
and we both simultaneously walk up to a pit (I have no idea if he can see me, but it kind of seems like he did), stand there staring at it for a bit, and then he just shrugs and fades away. It was perfect. :D

Was just in an intense PvP duel versus a Chaos Blade wielder, and me, dual Blacksteel Katanas. Duel lasted a couple minutes. At the very end, I dodged in, then back out. He whiffed, and killed himself with his own blade. Anticlimactic end to the battle, but I nearly died laughing. Poor guy.

I love PvP in this game.

Each one of those represents the damage output of whatever is in your equipped slots...3 slots for each hand. Numbers on left of arrow are your current damage stats, on the right are what they will be whenever you do whatever you were doing (raising stats, equipping something else).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Each one of those represents the damage output of whatever is in your equipped slots...3 slots for each hand. Numbers on left of arrow are your current damage stats, on the right are what they will be whenever you do whatever you were doing (raising stats, equipping something else).
Thanks, I was thrown off, just cause.. I guess it's showing me damage for hitting things with my chime? haha. And on the right one is unarmed and I guess that'd be punchy damage.

Ugh wtf, is Pharos a pvp zone? I keep getting summoned as a grey spirit.
hahaha.

Yeah it is. So glad I went through that area when I was in the rat covenant, without even realizing what the area actually was. The whole time I was like wtf, why is nothing attacking me lol.

dekline

Well, I'm officially stuck once again, in the pharros area:
the royal rat authority is kicking my ass. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have his toxic wielding minions by his side.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Well, I'm officially stuck once again, in the pharros area:
the royal rat authority is kicking my ass. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have his toxic wielding minions by his side.

The fight is easy stay under it and fight the minions.

burgerdog

hahaha.

Yeah it is. So glad I went through that area when I was in the rat covenant, without even realizing what the area actually was. The whole time I was like wtf, why is nothing attacking me lol.

Ha, found the boss and one shot it. Glad I didn't have to waste any stones. I'm sure there's some treasure here, though.

The fight is easy stay under it and fight the minions.
I was so mad when I realized you could just stay under him and make things so easy.

I was getting WRECKED by him, so I decided to leave and progress somewhere else. After progressing for a while in other areas I eventually hit a dead end, and could not for the life of me figure out what to do next.

Gave up on the game for a day or two, until I realized I skipped that bastard lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Also do NOT use lock on on royal rat authority, makes the fight much easier (not using lock on that is)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You'll get
a blacksmith's key soon.

DTcUGJ5.png
Thanks. I'm just not feeling the beginning to this like I did the other two games, though. Maybe I'm crazy, but a lot of things just feel very off. Don't remember yelling at my tv until much later in with those games, either.

Roche

Haha so I think I started playing through this game fairly out of order I gotta say. I
went down the hole
right after the forest area and did pretty much everything down there.

Now I feel pretty overleveled for most areas.

I decided to Format my PC yesterday and thought all my save files would be on the cloud.

Oh well, time to start from zero as a completely new character. I played a Ultra Greatsword build and now I'm going full Sorcerer.

Gazoinks

Well, for all the prerelease hyped him, Looking Glass Knight was kind of a huge pushover. Also, I somehow missed two bonfires in that area even though I thought I saw most of the level. Gotta go back I guess.

I decided to join the Bell Keepers covenant today to get some chunks.

I dreaded it because I don't like pvp but I actually had a lot of fun.

On my second time being summoned to defend I had a really long fight.

During the fight another invader came along to help. They ended up being killed.

I managed to get in a backstab to win after chasing this guy around forever.

It was a chunk well earned. :p

Grief.exe

That gauntlet before the
Ancient Dragon
. Damn!

Can't believe that in order to attempt that boss you need to clear that gauntlet every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom