• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Damn shame. My fav strength weapon of DaS. I've stuck to dex this time. What makes the mastadon so bad?
Try out the Drakekeeper's Great Axe, really good weapon, it weighs the same as Mastodon Greatsword, but has 100 more AR. It's a Greataxe with a lot of reach and a good moveset.
Wondering if I should just go ng+ already. Haven't beat vendrick or the dragon yet but don't really want the items or the souls. PvP is getting harder to find already and I ran out of soul vessels, twinkling titanites and human effigies. I also need some ng+ rings but don't wanna use more ascetics.
Just NG+, I will be patiently waiting until you get your Soul Memory up, then we can do some jolly co-op. I am NG+ with 6.5M SM right now.
That gauntlet before the
Ancient Dragon
. Damn!

Can't believe that in order to attempt that boss you need to clear that gauntlet every time.
You can run by the vast majority of the enemies with a lot of speed and strategy.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What's the fastest way to break off the glob on the Santier spear? Is the end result worth it?

I cleared it until they all despawned. It wasn't fun.

The boss was even less fun.

image.php

Booshka

What's the fastest way to break off the glob on the Santier spear? Is the end result worth it?

Attack a dead body for 5 or so minutes. It's a really cool weapon, albeit overused at the moment. It has an extremely varied moveset. Doesn't really do a whole lot of damage unless buffed or used on a Mundane build, or both, then it's a monster.

Thanks. I'm just not feeling the beginning to this like I did the other two games, though. Maybe I'm crazy, but a lot of things just feel very off. Don't remember yelling at my tv until much later in with those games, either.

Spend some points in Adaptability, which raises agility. It also raises res and 1 point of adaptability and 1 point of endurance raises poise. But mainly you want to upgrade agility until it gets to around 95 or so. I thought that the game also felt way off at first, but raising agility makes you have more invincibility frames during a roll and also makes you chug your estus faster.

I felt the same way about the game at first, that something was off and I couldn't place it. But then I beat a boss and dumped all of the souls into leveling up Adaptability, and afterwards I was like "This is Dark Souls!"

Try out the Drakekeeper's Great Axe, really good weapon, it weighs the same as Mastodon Greatsword, but has 100 more AR. It's a Greataxe with a lot of reach and a good moveset.

Just NG+, I will be patiently waiting until you get your Soul Memory up, then we can do some jolly co-op. I am NG+ with 6.5M SM right now.

You can run by the vast majority of the enemies with a lot of speed and strategy.
Yep I'm On it. Just need to make 150k souls to pay off my sin for killing all the NPCs before I go.

Yep I'm On it. Just need to make 150k souls to pay off my sin for killing all the NPCs before I go.

if you're low enough level, co-op one of the big soul bosses. Those give you like 10k at least i co-op

Attack a dead body for 5 or so minutes. It's a really cool weapon, albeit overused at the moment. It has an extremely varied moveset. Doesn't really do a whole lot of damage unless buffed or used on a Mundane build, or both, then it's a monster.

This is the fucking weapon I kept seeing where the douche does that lightsaber spin thing that depletes my stamina. Hate this bastard.

Booshka

Made a clip from a Stream I just finished up, mid game spoilers
Fighting my way into Drangleic Castle on NG+
Lot of insane encounters and close calls, really fun little stretch of combat. One instance in particular will be a great example of the great benefit of Agility and i-frames. I should have died, I put myself into a terrible position and got cornered, but i-frames, luck and some clutch play got me out of it.

Check it out, just over 5 mins long.

http://www.twitch.tv/booshka/c/4172594

Edit: This is NG++ difficulty because I burned an Ascetic on previous playthrough, no wonder they hit so hard.

impact

Banned
That gauntlet before the
Ancient Dragon
. Damn!

Can't believe that in order to attempt that boss you need to clear that gauntlet every time.

You can sprint past everything but the boss fight isn't even worth it anyway. It's a terribly designed fight that's won by unequiping everything and RNG. If you want a 5th soul of a giant just
bonfire ascetic Black Gulch and kill the giants again

Gazoinks

You can sprint past everything but the boss fight isn't even worth it anyway. It's a terribly designed fight that's won by unequiping everything and RNG. If you want a 5th soul of a giant just
bonfire ascetic Black Gulch and kill the giants again

Wait, wait, wait,
there are giants in Black Gulch? How in the world did I miss that?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Wait, wait, wait,
there are giants in Black Gulch? How in the world did I miss that?

You have to drop off a ledge between the 2 centipede things, then drop off that ledge onto another one. There's 2 of them inside the cave and they give you a Giant's Soul if you kill them.

I imagine you like one of those ultra greatsword wielding & very heavy armor wearing guys that can barely attack once and roll away afterwards without running out of stamina who usually get hit by my Longsword or Greatlance mid roll, get cancelled out and die fast because they can't handle to evade the rest of the hits.

Thats true for every game. I used to notice it with Pokemon back in the day.

More like a dual Red Rust Scimitar build but whatever makes you feel happy.

Blatantly a game breaking bug. That better be patched out soon.

Panzon

Just got the game for no reason. Well, I guess all the praise and hype it gets kinda influenced me but I'm just hoping the game is fun. I've never played dark or demon souls and have no clue what these games are even about. I just finished installing it and saw the opening cut scene (which looked great) then immediately had no clue of what I had to do next lol. Gotta go to bed though so I'm gonna try it out tomorrow after work and see if it captivates me

Lach

Quick Question:
Started yesterday. What do I have to do, to be able to get summoned at FofG? I've beaten the Giant boss and have the white soapstone but I don't seem to be able to use it. To I have to beat the second boss?

Matteoj8

I haven't been able to find this "issue" anywhere else...but I like to have Twitch going on my 2nd monitor while playing, and for some reason, whenever I am connected to another person, whether it be invading or co-op, the sound from Twitch (or anything else) gets extremely quiet. Anyone know whats going on?

Just got the game for no reason. Well, I guess all the praise and hype it gets kinda influenced me but I'm just hoping the game is fun. I've never played dark or demon souls and have no clue what these games are even about. I just finished installing it and saw the opening cut scene (which looked great) then immediately had no clue of what I had to do next lol. Gotta go to bed though so I'm gonna try it out tomorrow after work and see if it captivates me

FYI, these games sort of drop you into the world and expect you to simply choose a path. They don't tell you where to go, but they expect you to learn from mistakes. Some tips:

1. Before leaving an area, explore every single spot you can. These games love to have hidden secrets on the side of a cliff in a ledge or behind a hidden wall. Search every room and pay attention to messages other players leave for hints.

2. If you go to an area and enemies are one-shotting you, try a different area. You might've gone somewhere you weren't supposed to. If it's too hard to decide, there's a guide online on the order of areas recommended.

Quick Question:
Started yesterday. What do I have to do, to be able to get summoned at FofG? I've beaten the Giant boss and have the white soapstone but I don't seem to be able to use it. To I have to beat the second boss?

Go to the entrance of the boss area. Once the sign is white in the hallway, you can write down your name. Then you have to wait around the area and/or not have a loading screen so the sign doesnt disappear. Then it's the waiting game for someone to summon you

You are in for a treat. Good Luck and just be patient.

Quick Question:

You should be able to use it any time. Are you having connection issues? Are you putting your sign down in an open area?

Styles

Does not compute. Have you seen Gaf's impressions of the game and the multiple threads it has spawned regarding the mediocrity of the title compared to it's predecessors? :p

Lach

You are in for a treat. Good Luck and just be patient.

You should be able to use it any time. Are you having connection issues? Are you putting your sign down in an open area?

I tried it at the boss entry (where Pate's sign was). Actually it might be a connection issue as I got a disconnect sometime earlier but I had restarted the game after that.

Stefan™;110322685 said:
Does not compute. Have you seen Gaf's impressions of the game and the multiple threads it has spawned regarding the mediocrity of the title compared to it's predecessors? :p

Can't tell if you're serious, but in the slight chance you are outside of comparing it to the other titles, it's a damn fun game and I've sunk a lot of hours into it. There are ways it doesn't hold a candle to its predecesors, but it's the best entry into the series imho. And if he likes this he can go for Dark Souls 1.

burgerdog

Guys, in iron keep what's the item on the corpse across the bridge from the first bonfire. It's near a statue spewing flames and there's two samurais in the room. I was spamming A and missed it.

Panzon

Stefan™;110322685 said:
Guess I wasn't paying enough attention then because from what I remember more peole seem to like it than hate it. Yeah, I've read it doesn't quite stack up to the first one but I don't care because I've never played part 1 or even seen gameplay footage of it. I'm gonna give the game a shot and if I like it, great, if not I'll just move on

Hm, I cleared that place a few days ago and missed it. Could you be more specific?

In the later room with fire heads in a cross pattern (right near the end boss),
There is a ladder in the corner. Go up and you will find a switch to turn the fire off as well as a bonfire.

Hm, I cleared that place a few days ago and missed it. Could you be more specific?

on the way to the final boss there's a room with statues that spit fire. It's a very small room. To the left there's a ladder that if you climb up you find a bonfire. Also there is the device to turn off the fire from these statues. It's easy to miss.

Cerity

I haven't been able to find this "issue" anywhere else...but I like to have Twitch going on my 2nd monitor while playing, and for some reason, whenever I am connected to another person, whether it be invading or co-op, the sound from Twitch (or anything else) gets extremely quiet. Anyone know whats going on?

Sounds like windows communication deal kicking in. The game has voice chat options and whenever you initiate that it lowers the general volume. Try going to your sound control -> communications.

dreamfall

Yipes.

I kept killing those guys by the doors in
Drangleic Castle
which opened up some new doors in front of seemingly lifeless shielded armor knights. And then
Ruin Sentinels just started showing up! Fucking hell, it's not that they're difficult just it takes a while to slash about at them!
I think I'll grind here a bit until they all disappear!

Still not feeling some of the boss encounters. Although I kind of loved The Gutter & Black Gulch- they were such marked departures from everything prior to that point. And killing
The Rotten. Just a fun melee fight for me, and his butcher design with bodies seemed neat!

Gazoinks

Yipes.

I kept killing those guys by the doors in
Drangleic Castle
which opened up some new doors in front of seemingly lifeless shielded armor knights. And then
Ruin Sentinels just started showing up! Fucking hell, it's not that they're difficult just it takes a while to slash about at them!
I think I'll grind here a bit until they all disappear!
Yeah, those guys are a pain, because I want to open one of the doors, but they take a while to kill and it makes it more annoying than it needs to be.

Still not feeling some of the boss encounters. Although I kind of loved The Gutter & Black Gulch- they were such marked departures from everything prior to that point. And killing
The Rotten. Just a fun melee fight for me, and his butcher design with bodies seemed neat!
The Gutter is probably my favorite area so far. Loved the dangerous, exploratory feel to it, and the need to use a torch.

Jintor

i can't decide what's worse about these throne assholes: their immense healthbars, or the fact that it's like a half marathon from the closest bonfire to them. At least you don't have to fight anything along the way

Is there a better standard shield than the Drangleic Shield? It's a great shield but I've been rocking this thing since the first zone and was hoping to change it out.

Is there something better I've missed? I'm at
Drangleic Castle
if that helps.

impact

Banned
Is there a better standard shield than the Drangleic Shield? It's a great shield but I've been rocking this thing since the first zone and was hoping to change it out.

Is there something better I've missed? I'm at
Drangleic Castle
if that helps.

there's more than a couple good-great boss soul shields

defenders shield is the shit

In Harvest Valley now. Skeleton Lords were easy as shit except for the brief moment of
OMG! Skeleton Wheels AAAAAAAaaaass

They didn't hit very hard though...

Echoplx

Just spent the last few hours trying to beat
Ancient Dragon

Fuck that bastard. First time I've felt a boss was complete bullshit in this game. I'd be more pissed if it wasn't "optional".

Could have at least given my some shiny loot or something ;_;

Just spent the last few hours trying to beat
Ancient Dragon

Fuck that bastard. First time I've felt a boss was complete bullshit in this game. I'd be more pissed if it wasn't "optional".

Could have at least given my some shiny loot or something ;_;
I feel your pain.

I skipped an earlier boss and totally forgot, so when I came across the ancient dragon I thought I HAD to kill it to proceed with the story. I summoned people to help me beat it and tried to help others beat it for an entire day, failed every. single. time. One time he killed me with his
fire breath attack
when I was on the other side of the fog gate readying my equipment before going in -_____-

Gave up the game for two days.

I really need to get back into the PC version, and get revenge for what he did to me on PS3.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
I have started a new character, does anyone know why I immediately have an icon in the status effects area that looks like a gold shield with a red square around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom