• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck these armored mace guys with infinite stamina

try torch, here!

Found the point where you do it so I did it. Bit tricky without online mode. The fight was really easy without the poison to contend with.

Am I overlevelled or something? I've been ripping up bosses for a little while now. At 88 and I'm on my 3rd path, just hit Iron Keep. Also using a +8 Fire Long Sword

Jintor

Pretty much every act of platforming that isn't a simple 'fall off this to reach this' or 'have a long run-up and jump this ledge' is an unmitigated heap of garbage. Fair's fair, that's not what DS is about of course, but it's irritating nonetheless.

Should have just tapped B once to back step onto the platform. Problem solved.

Yeah, I did that and overstepped and fell off the platform.

Pretty much every act of platforming that isn't a simple 'fall off this to reach this' or 'have a long run-up and jump this ledge' is an unmitigated heap of garbage. Fair's fair, that's not what DS is about of course, but it's irritating nonetheless.

The auto roll when you land from certain heights has gotten me killed a few times. I've now learned to just do plunging attacks during most larger drops.

Temidien

Neo Member
Hey guys, is there any disadvantage/penalty for using player summons when fighting on a boss (fewer souls rewarded, etc.)?

Summoned a player and
Pate
to help me fight
The Last Giant
last night and it being my first time, I couldn't tell if I missed out on anything for not doing it solo. I heard
summoning Pate is essential for his story line, but I figured summoning additional help couldn't hurt.

Mistel

Banned
Hey guys, is there any disadvantage/penalty for using player summons when fighting on a boss (fewer souls rewarded, etc.)?

Summoned a player and
Pate
to help me fight
The Last Giant
last night and it being my first time, I couldn't tell if I missed out on anything for not doing it solo. I heard
summoning Pate is essential for his story line, but I figured summoning additional help couldn't hurt.
No disadvantage but they become stronger themselves for co-op but there's more of you so it's easier. It's not really essential you can still get this stuff without it.

Summoned a player and
Pate
to help me fight
The Last Giant

Not as far as I know. There might be an achievement that rewards you for beating all the bosses by yourself, but as a whole you should get the same amount of souls as if you played the game solo. Co-op'ing a boss has an upside for both the host and the summon so it's not like the game doesn't have co-op as a proper system most people attempt. Bosses do become stronger though. Some bosses it's actually easier to defeat them solo since they have less defense/offensive power.

Garcia

These guys pulled another "Capra Demon" when you retrieve the
Bastile's Key
past Belfry Luna. Hmph.

Quite frustrating situation.

eot

Banned
Found the point where you do it so I did it. Bit tricky without online mode. The fight was really easy without the poison to contend with.

Am I overlevelled or something? I've been ripping up bosses for a little while now. At 88 and I'm on my 3rd path, just hit Iron Keep. Also using a +8 Fire Long Sword

No, she's easy without the poison.

Temidien

Neo Member
Not as far as I know. There might be an achievement that rewards you for beating all the bosses by yourself, but as a whole you should get the same amount of souls as if you played the game solo. Co-op'ing a boss has an upside for both the host and the summon so it's not like the game doesn't have co-op as a proper system most people attempt. Bosses do become stronger though. Some bosses it's actually easier to defeat them solo since they have less defense/offensive power.

No disadvantage but they become stronger themselves for co-op but there's more of you so it's easier. It's not really essential you can still get this stuff without it.

Cool, thanks guys!

My motivation in playing this game is to experience the unique/nutters world and depth of combat, not necessarily the pleasure derived from throwing myself at a boss/mob until I find a way to defeat it. I'm glad From put a mechanic in for the rest of us.

Hypron

Goddam,
Vengarl
is kicking my ass. He's harder than the boss before him lol. I'm sl1 so I don't have access to good shields (and the only weapon I have that does any damage is a mace which I need to two-hand), I'm stuck at 50% life with no effigies so he kills me in 1 hit and he's pretty relentless D: I never had any problem whatsoever killing him before, but I'd just tank his hits using a Gyrm greatshield. Can't do that now...

Earthern Peak has some particularly easy boss fights. Iron Keep has a really easy main boss fight, and a supposedly really challenging secondary boss fight. As to you being overleveled, if you're oveleveled then I'm WAAAAAAAAAY overleveled as I was like level 120 when I reached Iron Keep and attempted it. But to be fair when I first reached Iron Keep I went somewhere else and attempted that first.

Either ways no, you aren't overleveled. Some boss fights are just really easy while others can be frustrating to the point of bullshit. Personally I'm a faith build so I chip away at most of the life of bosses with lightning/sunlight spears, and then it's finishing off the boss with my lightning claymore. So boss fights are particularly easy if I have someone to aggro, but even if not as long as the boss is slow enough where I can get away and throw a spear at them it's all good.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
What's the sweet spot level for PvE? I'm currently level 89 and I'd like to have a good variety of boss fights to choose from when I farm for sunlight medals

Zafir

Yeah I was soul level 106 after doing iron keep and there was still alot of summoning signs etc around in the next area.

Goddam,
Vengarl
is kicking my ass. He's harder than the boss before him lol. I'm sl1 so I don't have access to good shields (and the only weapon I have that does any damage is a mace which I need to two-hand), I'm stuck at 50% life with no effigies so he kills me in 1 hit and he's pretty relentless D: I never had any problem whatsoever killing him before, but I'd just tank his hits using a Gyrm greatshield. Can't do that now...

He's susceptible to poison, iirc.

What's the sweet spot level for PvE? I'm currently level 89 and I'd like to have a good variety of boss fights to choose from when I farm for sunlight medals

Levels don't matter. It's Soul Memory (how many souls you've collected, whether or not you use them) that guides matchmaking. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult to stay in an "ideal" PvE range because helping people beat bosses is going to push your Soul Memory up. I think the simplest approach is not to stress too much about it in NG--run each boss you like three or four times then move on--and then move to NG+, where the Soul Memory ranges are much wider.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing in this game and I LOVE IT. I keep dying, swearing, forcing myself not to punch something and then back off to explore a new path or a new strategy.

I tried DS1 but couldn't get into it, the way they introduce the mechanics in the second is much more easier to understand. I did play for like 8 hours before giving up and googling how to level up, now I can finally use a new weapon. Hurray!

knitoe

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing in this game and I LOVE IT. I keep dying, swearing, forcing myself not to punch something and then back off to explore a new path or a new strategy.

I tried DS1 but couldn't get into it, the way they introduce the mechanics in the second is much more easier to understand. I did play for like 8 hours before giving up and googling how to level up, now I can finally use a new weapon. Hurray!

I really don't know how any can play this game without some sort of guide. At the very least, you should know which order to tackle the areas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dark Souls games are exausting, and I mean that in a good way. Im just about ready for this to be over, surely I must be near the end since im in
Dragon Shrine right
? I just need to finish it and take a break for a bit before tackling either NG+ or a fresh Sorc, I need to play something...less demanding lol

Mistel

Banned
Dark Souls games are exausting, and I mean that in a good way. Im just about ready for this to be over, surely I must be near the end since im in
Dragon Shrine right
? I just need to finish it and take a break for a bit before tackling either NG+ or a fresh Sorc, I need to play something...less demanding lol
Not really there's still a way to go before the end.

I really don't know how any can play this game without some sort of guide. At the very least, you should know which order to tackle the areas.

It's not that hard to figure out. The game nudges you toward Forest of Fallen Giants. Heide's Tower is the next most obvious starting point, and many areas are locked off until you've completed it. If you are getting your ass kicked, try a different route.

Dragon Shrine right

Yeah, you're pretty close to the finish line.

I use the wiki site to know if a key item/armor piece is in an area. I don't care if some consider it bad, I don't want to miss a fucking petrified dragon bone because I didn't look down a cliff and do a backflip down to a deadbody while I do the macarena so it gives me the key that will lead me to the petrified dragon bone. If a sign is in place to guide me I don't mind though.

Ignorance is bliss. It's refreshing playing a game and still after 8 hours the majority of the game and it's mechanics are still unknown.

As for paths, I've ventured down 2 routes; one ended up with about 12 massive stone golems and other had giant in the name. The later being the one that I progressed further but still dying plenty of times.

Feindflug

Dragon Shrine right

I feel the complete opposite, I'm at the end of my NG+ and all I want to play is more DSII. I tried to start Bioshock Infinite & Dishonored the last few days, I played about an hour max and never touched them again...it's clearly nothing wrong with those games it's just that DSII is too much fun to even consider anything other at the moment.

Mario Kart 8 or Wolfenstein will probably make me stop playing DSII though, at least I hope so. :p

Sub Zero

Levels don't matter. It's Soul Memory (how many souls you've collected, whether or not you use them) that guides matchmaking. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult to stay in an "ideal" PvE range because helping people beat bosses is going to push your Soul Memory up. I think the simplest approach is not to stress too much about it in NG--run each boss you like three or four times then move on--and then move to NG+, where the Soul Memory ranges are much wider.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up

My recommendation for sun bros is that you join them ASAP and then try to get as many of the medals as you can before doing much else. Because with soul memory the more you do the less likely you are to find people who can summon you.

Forkball

Hi :(

I cant find any info about it...

Main thread on r/Dark Souls is about it. No real info, except that it's down. Also apparently don't play right now because it won't save your progress. I just wanna play. What am I supposed to do, go play Lego Marvel and smash stuff as the HULK?

...brb

eot

Banned

I don't know why you would play it with a guide! Not knowing what you're getting yourself into is half the fun.

imBask

Banned

I hate the SM system, they built the game around playing coop way more than they did in the first game and yet they also added a system that prevents you from doing so

Arelaz

Just got the
King's Ring
last night and opened up a new path, saw a fog door, slapped down my summon sign. Turned out to be the last boss, and it also turned out the person I helped was doing a no-bonfire run! They were ecstatic after, I got a bunch of Steam messages.

I felt like a true Sunbro! (even though I wish I hadn't seen the final boss yet)

so ,i killed the first lady in the game

how to reset my level ?

find the grave near the spot they always hung around/outside their hut. You should be able to pay some souls to revive them or at least talk to their ghost. Once you do that you can initiate the level reset.

I don't know why you would play it with a guide! Not knowing what you're getting yourself into is half the fun.

But messages always tell you what you're getting yourself into. A guide is primarily used to tell you what the best order to complete areas is, or what items can be located where you are. Both are which essential for many on a first run.

Vitor711

Main thread on r/Dark Souls is about it. No real info, except that it's down. Also apparently don't play right now because it won't save your progress. I just wanna play. What am I supposed to do, go play Lego Marvel and smash stuff as the HULK?

...brb

The game switches seamlessly to offline mode when you lose connection to Steam. No issues with saves then. Can't see why they would be proving problematic here.

My recommendation for sun bros is that you join them ASAP and then try to get as many of the medals as you can before doing much else. Because with soul memory the more you do the less likely you are to find people who can summon you.

You also get a Sunlight Medallion for defeating a boss with a summon Sun Bro.

Dr Dogg

Well just popped home for lunch and my copy of Dark Souls II has finally turned up. Woooo!!! Though upon opening it it appears I'm missing a physical copy of the soundtrack and DLC redemption codes. Boooo!!!

Great Bamco's support is among the worst so this is going to be a right pain.

akira28

Found an area where they actually make it possible for you to have a co-op sniper set up position by an open window while you aggro and trap 6+ mob of enemies behind a steel door. That's pretty cool that they set it up so you can think outside of the box and find solutions over just running in with swords and shields for direct combat.

Zafir

Well just popped home for lunch and my copy of Dark Souls II has finally turned up. Woooo!!! Though upon opening it it appears I'm missing a physical copy of the soundtrack and DLC redemption codes. Boooo!!!

Where did you order from because ive got the exact same issue. No dlc and no physical soundtrack in the CE. I made a post here http://www.bandainamcogames.co.uk/community/topics/dark-souls-2-pc-ce-uk-missing-soundtrack-and-dlc but the forum seems pretty dead. Also tweeted to Namco Bandai and they seem to be ignoring it.

You're one of us now, Dogg.

Found an area where they actually make it possible for you to have a co-op sniper set up position by an open window while you aggro and trap 6+ mob of enemies behind a steel door. That's pretty cool that they set it up so you can think outside of the box and find solutions over just running in with swords and shields for direct combat.

(area)
Lost Bastille
? I've done that a few times to knock out the first few guys in that room.

Sub Zero

I got the Black Armour Edition and didn't get a code for the DLC but they were already implemented when I activates the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom