• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah I did that as well as reboot my PC but it didn't work

I combed this page and didn't see anyone remarking that the servers are down. My bad.

i didnt mean to come off as a jerk, just you were panicking for no reason, online games go down all the time :)

akira28

You're one of us now, Dogg.

(area)
Lost Bastille
? I've done that a few times to knock out the first few guys in that room.

right. that spot. I made 16 or so shiny stones just co-oping raids of that area, but I learned if you taunt them, they all rush the door, and you can close it on them, leaving them sitting ducks for a mage with binocs. I would try doing this one some summons, and the host would just reopen the door and we'd all get slaughtered by a mob of greatsword wielding hollows. Or they run in, we manage to kill everyone in the front room, and they rush back to where the powder kegs are, get careless and boom, we're all dead again. It's hilarious..

eot

Banned
Shaded Ruins is messing my whole shit up. For some reason lion men and curse jars are more difficult than any scenario I've dealt with so far, despite my belief that I was over-leveled. I need to get the cursebite ring I guess.

If you have the ring of binding then don't worry about curse, it doesn't kill you. It's rare that I need more than 75% of my health.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what DOES curse do this time? on the few ocasions I fucked up and let it go all the way up...nothing happened

in fact, same for bleed, whats up with bleed?

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Was very drunk last night and murdered a bunch of people in the bell towers. #nottherealme

If it's any consolation I woke up hungover and full of shame.

I joined the
Bell-------
Covenant last night and then entered Belfry
Sol -------
thinking I'd be safe. Holy shit! First the scripted invasion, then one guy invades and I beat him off, but end up using most of my Estus. Within thirty seconds of defeating the first dude, another guy invades and tries to bullshit me with his CMW and typical mage arsenal so I beat him down, but he casts one of those AoE regeneration miracles and we fight over it for healing (I was down to using Lifegems). Dude runs off to the rooftop so I start clearing some of the AI and spot a Shade summoning sign. Grab the bro and just before he arrives, a second dude invades giving us a 2v2, but we proceed to wreck them both. Shade bro then helps me clear the rooftop before DUTY FULFILLED and I get my fat rewards at the end. So intense, I didn't even have my PvP spells attuned, but man, I found it way more fun than the
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Covenant stuff. Maybe it's cause I haven't gone to the second area for that yet. Definitely going to try and get some chunks though, I need them bad for my upgrades.

matmanx1

Is there a comparable weapon in DS2 to the Baldur Side Sword? That weapon completely spoiled me in DS1. I'm not very far into the game but none of the DLC weapons and none of the weapons I have found have a moveset that I just love.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
what DOES curse do this time? on the few ocasions I fucked up and let it go all the way up...nothing happened

Curse in this one just takes you down a Hollow level as if you died, but you don't croak. You just suffer the effect of it (less HP & no summoning).

Bleed is a burst of damage.

Sullichin

Being cursed is the same penalty as dying (max health loss) but you don't die or turn hollow.

If you're petrified you die and become full hollow (50% health reduction).

Grief.exe

Is there a comparable weapon in DS2 to the Baldur Side Sword? That weapon completely spoiled me in DS1. I'm not very far into the game but none of the DLC weapons and none of the weapons I have found have a moveset that I just love.

Estoc is a pretty solid replacement, you can purchase it from the first blacksmith. Scales pretty decently with STR I believe.

DinHerio

Banned
Well yeah but I want play online

I'm in the EU - anybody experiencing a similar problem?

Community Page is full of complaints. No one (?) can connect to the server atm.

*edit*

Dear customer,

Thank you for your message.

Currently, there seems to temporarily come to server problems,
You should wait a bit longer soon should the server be reached again.

We apologize for this fact.

Sincerely yours

Your Namco Bandai Partners Support Team

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754899264690614/#p23

Grief.exe

The server status on their site says that the servers are fine but it looks like they're actually down. :/

Here is your problem

http://www.issteamdown.com/

Valve has been having issues keeping up with the rapid growth of Steam the past ~6 months. Between November and January they gained around 10 million active users, it's really insane.

I looked at the concurrent numbers yesterday, and the top 5 games on Steam were averaging around 1 million concurrent users. All five were using Steamworks servers for multiplayer.

creyas

Damn they have been down for a long time. Game servers itself were fine when i played in the morning, went to switch character and login was down.

Arelaz

Shaded Ruins is messing my whole shit up. For some reason lion men and curse jars are more difficult than any scenario I've dealt with so far, despite my belief that I was over-leveled. I need to get the cursebite ring I guess.

Lion dudes have huge magic resistance, so use a melee weapon. Just wait for them to do their regular slash, go in for one hit, and then just walk backwards. They swing so slow you can just keep walking backwards and go in to punish their whiffed attack with one hit.

AkuMifune

Banned
I joined the
Bell-------
Covenant last night and then entered Belfry
Sol -------
thinking I'd be safe. Holy shit! First the scripted invasion, then one guy invades and I beat him off, but end up using most of my Estus. Within thirty seconds of defeating the first dude, another guy invades and tries to bullshit me with his CMW and typical mage arsenal so I beat him down, but he casts one of those AoE regeneration miracles and we fight over it for healing (I was down to using Lifegems). Dude runs off to the rooftop so I start clearing some of the AI and spot a Shade summoning sign. Grab the bro and just before he arrives, a second dude invades giving us a 2v2, but we proceed to wreck them both. Shade bro then helps me clear the rooftop before DUTY FULFILLED and I get my fat rewards at the end. So intense, I didn't even have my PvP spells attuned, but man, I found it way more fun than the
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Covenant stuff. Maybe it's cause I haven't gone to the second area for that yet. Definitely going to try and get some chunks though, I need them bad for my upgrades.

The things we do for chunks. It's dirty.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, I hope the servers are up and stable again when I get home for more sunbro action.
Same... well, I haven't run into the sunbros yet, but other than that.

Anybody spend a significant amount of time as a Blue Sentinel? The sparring seems fun, at least.

Found the first mimic of the game in
Earthen Peak
. That got out of hand pretty quickly. My sweep attack managed to hit him, all the poison pots, and piss off the other guys in the room.

And then he ate me.

Hahaha well I'm going to have to play catch up pretty quick to join in the disco with you guys. Playing bloody golf tomorrow morning so might feign injury or hope it rains.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm golfing on sunday hah.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The answer to practically every group encounter, if possible, is 'try eliminating one at a time'
This is why the Estoc is so fucking awesome.

I struggled a fair bit with the group of 5+ guys in the Bastille when using the fire longsword because of the lack of a good long ranged poke in that sword's moveset (why did they change it from the DkS1 moveset!?). With the Estoc, it was a piece of cake.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a vendor that sells the item that replenishes spell usage?

Do mages just use the limited amount of spells they can memorize then rest at a bonfire to replenish? I seem to remember hearing that there was a better method to use...

Temidien

Neo Member
Alright guys, hoping for a little advice on my first DS2 playthrough/build:

My ideal play-style would be strength/tanky melee with some Lightning Spear for range. I’m about to go up against
The Pursuer
, so I’m still pretty early in the game and I’ve mostly been dumping points into STR and DEX (for certain weps), with some additional points in VIG, END, and ADP. I’ve been holding off on building up FTH because I have no clue around when in the game I’ll be able to pick up Lightning Spear and other spells I’ll find useful for a predominantly melee build.

Any advice on progression, where I should be focusing? I spend more time staring at the Level Up screen worrying about where to invest my souls than I’d like to.

J-Rod

I'm sure it's been said a million times, but after playing through the ps3 disc version a couple of times, it has been so much more enjoyable playing the PC version. Before I had to consider if I really wanted to sit through all the loading to go cash in the flask shard I just found, or lay my summon sign down to help someone. Now it loads so fast, I'm there and back in 15 seconds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm sure it's been said a million times, but after playing through the ps3 disc version a couple of times, it has been so much more enjoyable playing the PC version. Before I had to consider if I really wanted to sit through all the loading to go cash in the flask shard I just found, or lay my summon sign down to help someone. Now it loads so fast, I'm there and back in 15 seconds.
This is mindboggling to me to even imagine. I truly can't wrap my mind out how it must feel on console in comparison. The fluidity of moving about the world rapidly and popping to Majula and back on finding a new bonfire is a trademark of the game from my perspective.

Sullichin

Alright guys, hoping for a little advice on my first DS2 playthrough/build:

My ideal play-style would be strength/tanky melee with some Lightning Spear for range. I’m about to go up against
The Pursuer
, so I’m still pretty early in the game and I’ve mostly been dumping points into STR and DEX (for certain weps), with some additional points in VIG, END, and ADP. I’ve been holding off on building up FTH because I have no clue around when in the game I’ll be able to pick up Lightning Spear and other spells I’ll find useful for a predominantly melee build.

Any advice on progression, where I should be focusing? I spend more time staring at the Level Up screen worrying about where to invest my souls than I’d like to.
The first lightning spear spell requires 22FTH. It's found early in the game at
Heide's Tower of Flame
after the
Dragonrider
boss fight.

Getting STR/DEX up for weapon requirements and VIG/END/ADP are safe upgrades for now.

Easiest builds through the game imo:

1. Faith Knight with a (lightning) mace and shield. (Just easy and safe, and good damage)
2. Hexer Sorc (has a rough start but performs better end game than number one)
3. Double Club powerstance. (Need to know boss patterns pretty well and have good dodging skills, holds the world speedrunner record currently).

Taruranto

I feel like I'm doing something wrong with my magic. I was doing 6 dmg to the boss of the
forest
, that's bananas. It's literally impossible to beat the normal mobs unless I summon someone who can backstab.

Sullichin

I feel like I'm doing something wrong with my magic. I was doing 6 dmg to the boss of the
forest
, that's bananas. It's literally impossible to beat the normal mobs unless I summon someone who can backstab.

What spell / catalyst are you using? Starting sorcerer's soul arrow is decent enough against the mobs there.. as long as you're not hitting their shields every time.

knitoe

forest
Equip the beginning dagger and backstab trash mobs yourself. They die in 1 stab. Sucks using magic against them since they seem to have very high magic resist. For the boss, I summon a player and npc. One shot it. I am only Int magic user used vortex, spear and great heavy soul spells.

Taruranto

What spell / catalyst are you using? Starting sorcerer's soul arrow is decent enough against the mobs there.. as long as you're not hitting their shields every time.

Bone staff. I do 34 dmg against the mobs witht he giant axe and shield even from behind and using dark magic. =_=

Rudelord

Is Heavenly Thunder any good?
No, since the hits don't really do much damage and they scatter all over the place, not to mention you have to get ungodly close which is asking to either die to trash mobs or get backstabbed by an invader

It is good in certain niche situations like shrine of amana, where the lightning strikes AoE all over the water, but even then you're better off with just lightning spears

Are miracles better than sorceries this time around? I haven't really touched magic in either game.

They're better in the sense that most bosses and regular enemies have little to no resistance to lightning damage.

As far as PVP goes, the only miracles that standout for that are great magic barrier, emit force, wrath of god and sunlight blade. Sorceries and hexes definitely have a distinct edge in PVP when it comes to range and overall flexibility

Grief.exe

Going into memories right now. The first Giant I went to didn't have (he was closest to the last bonfire in Forest of the Giants), the second one did have a memory I could enter.

Am I on the right path? Or did I miss something with the first giant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom