• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

I got the Black Armour Edition and didn't get a code for the DLC but they were already implemented when I activates the game
I doubt that will be the case for the CE, the game code I got given was inside a sealed standard copy of the game which they had shoved inside the box behind the statue.

Wow! Did like no damage to Smelter Demon. My lightning spears especially. They did like 60 damage each.

What the hell

Really? You might want to consider raising faith, finding a better chime, or getting great lightning spear/sunlight spear

I had: Faith in the mid/high 50's, dragon chime+1 and great lightning spear+ sunlight spear. Even with the extra help of Lucatiel I was still chipping away considerably at his health. To the point that by the time I wasted all of my spears, he only had like 1/10 or 1/8 of his life left. Which was easily taken care of later on.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
Well damn. I grabbed this last night, was hoping to get in a quick session for work, and hit the server issues everyone is having.

Stet

Banned
I'm really getting into rapier/shield/light armour. I can keep my weight low, but attack while turtled and still have the stamina for rolling. Parrying with the rapier is more fun than with a shield, too.

Really? You might want to consider raising faith, finding a better chime, or getting great lightning spear/sunlight spear

I had: Faith in the mid/high 50's, dragon chime+1 and great lightning spear+ sunlight spear. Even with the extra help of Lucatiel I was still chipping away considerably at his health. To the point that by the time I wasted all of my spears, he only had like 1/10 or 1/8 of his life left. Which was easily taken care of later on.

Faith is more of a secondary, I pumped points into strength to begin with (stopped at 30) then moved on. Currently in the high 20s so I couldn't use either of those anyway.

Maybe I'll come back to him later.

imBask

Banned
Faith is more of a secondary, I pumped points into strength to begin with (stopped at 30) then moved on. Currently in the high 20s so I couldn't use either of those anyway.

Maybe I'll come back to him later.

can't stop before 50 points man, CAN'T STOP THE ROCK

Dr Dogg

Where did you order from because ive got the exact same issue. No dlc and no physical soundtrack in the CE. I made a post here http://www.bandainamcogames.co.uk/community/topics/dark-souls-2-pc-ce-uk-missing-soundtrack-and-dlc but the forum seems pretty dead. Also tweeted to Namco Bandai and they seem to be ignoring it.

I got the Black Armour Edition and didn't get a code for the DLC but they were already implemented when I activates the game

Amazon.co.uk and I ordered the Collectors Editon. What I got was the Steel Case (not a bloody SteelBook but a Star MetalPak!!!) with nothing inside but a sticker saying "you game is behind the stupid statue you're going to stick in the cupboard" which was just a normal sealed copy of the game with only the standard game redemption code. I'm not to fussed about the DLC but I want the soundtrack on CD though. Send Namco a support email so I'll let you know when I hear back.

You're one of us now, Dogg.

Hahaha well I'm going to have to play catch up pretty quick to join in the disco with you guys. Playing bloody golf tomorrow morning so might feign injury or hope it rains.

Tecl0n

I'm really getting into rapier/shield/light armour. I can keep my weight low, but attack while turtled and still have the stamina for rolling. Parrying with the rapier is more fun than with a shield, too.

Get dat
Old Leo
Ring and laugh through normal mobs.

georly

Yay, downloading now, i'll get some mods and play when I get home tonight. Can't wait. Never finished my PS3 save (stuff came up, couldn't play), so I look forward to starting over on PC.

Gbraga

I feel like the consistency in this game is gonna be really good for the replay value. It may never reach the highs of the first one, especially when it comes to level design, but the fact that I no longer have to think "sigh, Lost Izalith and Duke's Archives now" after I reach a certain point will definitely help.

That speaking from what I've heard, since it seems like I'm still about halfway through, if not less, I wouldn't be able to judge.

Some boss fights would probably be a lot better if they were more challenging though. Lost Sinner, Iron King and the Rotten especially.

So far the Pursuer, Smelter Demon and
both Royal Rat fights
were my favorites.

And holy shit at the Black Gulch
hidden giants, that was really intense! I had a blast when I found that out by accident. I actually got to Lucatiel first, and then was trying to get back there and accidentaly fell in the wrong place. I'm glad I did.

nicjac

So I am now in Iron Keep, making my way through slowly. I was wonder how common my play style / build was. I started off as a bandit and pretty kept the starting gear / leather armour and been using a fire long sword in two-handed stance. I upgraded both my armour and my weapon as much as I could using the materials that I found.

My goal is basically to maintain a low equip % (< 35% ideally) and use rolling as my main defensive technique. I cannot check my exact stats right now but I put quite a bit in STR (>40), have ~25 in DEX, ~30 in ADP and relatively low stats for the rest.

Is this weird? I seem to be able to progress fine but I might be missing something.

Zafir

Amazon.co.uk and I ordered the Collectors Editon. What I got was the Steel Case (not a bloody SteelBook but a Star MetalPak!!!) with nothing inside but a sticker saying "you game is behind the stupid statue you're going to stick in the cupboard" which was just a normal sealed copy of the game with only the standard game redemption code. I'm not to fussed about the DLC but I want the soundtrack on CD though. Send Namco a support email so I'll let you know when I hear back.
Yeah that's how mine was. Guess that's how all of them are then. I got mine from shopto. I'll give them an email too, maybe they'll be more inclined to do something about it with more people complaining. Just annoying we had to wait an extra week than everyone else and even then they still managed to fuck it up.

Cyrano

I'm level 100ish and I decided to use these 3 mods:

- GeDoSaTo

- GEM http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/7/?

- Fleshy Hollows http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/1/?

And now I cannot login to the servers... I hope they did not somehow VAC ban me...
It seems like the servers are down at the moment.
So I am now in Iron Keep, making my way through slowly. I was wonder how common my play style / build was. I started off as a bandit and pretty kept the starting gear / leather armour and been using a fire long sword in two-handed stance. I upgraded both my armour and my weapon as much as I could using the materials that I found.

My goal is basically to maintain a low equip % (< 35% ideally) and use rolling as my main defensive technique. I cannot check my exact stats right now but I put quite a bit in STR (>40), have ~25 in DEX, ~30 in ADP and relatively low stats for the rest.

Is this weird? I seem to be able to progress fine but I might be missing something.
I would start upgrading a two-handed ultra-XXX weapon (be it a club or sword or whatever), because there are certain enemies in Iron Keep that you're going to want to keep knocked down and so far I don't think it's possible to actually knock down enemies based on damage alone. I've hit enemies for over half their health before and about about the worst thing I've seen happen to them is that they reel. It seems like only certain weapon animations can actually knock down enemies.

Also, get your Vigor up to 20. Just trust me on this one.

I don't know how effective for PvP a guy with light armor and no spells would be. Unless you have a weapon that can make it where enemies wouldn't be able to reach you, like one of those spinning lances or the dual blade.

If you don't, most guys who would get like one hit on you could probably one or two shot you. For the game you might be fine though I don't know. Dodging and backstabbing doesn't work terribly well in online with lag. You most definitely want to find a weapon that scales with dexterity strength and dexterity though. Which should be a dime a dozen.

nicjac

It seems like the servers are down at the moment.

I would start upgrading a two-handed ultra-XXX weapon (be it a club or sword or whatever), because there are certain enemies in Iron Keep that you're going to want to keep knocked down and so far I don't think it's possible to actually knock down enemies based on damage alone. I've hit enemies for over half their health before and about about the worst thing I've seen happen to them is that they reel. It seems like only certain weapon animations can actually knock down enemies.

Also, get your Vigor up to 20. Just trust me on this one.

I have the Pursuer's ultra greatsword, would that be a good choice as a 'backup' weapon?

Is a light armour, 2-handed sword combo viable? Or should I abandon that idea and go heavy armour instead?

nicjac

No it's fine but might want to experiment with other weapons that make better usage of your stats.

I could not find a light weapon that scaled well with STR and DEX. Any suggestion? That's mainly the reason why I stuck with my fire longsword, it allows be to maintain a very low equip %.

I have the Pursuer's ultra greatsword, would that be a good choice as a 'backup' weapon?

Is a light armour, 2-handed sword combo viable? Or should I abandon that idea and go heavy armour instead?

Light armor is perfectly fine. Heavy armor isn't really worth it in my opinion. The defense boost looks big on your stats page but in reality it doesn't really cut damage down significantly enough to justify the stat points you put in to competently wear it.

Mistel

Banned
I could not find a light weapon that scaled well with STR and DEX. Any suggestion? That's mainly the reason why I stuck with my fire longsword, it allows be to maintain a very low equip %.
Maces, bastards, estocs, claymore, Heide knight sword and sunlight sword.

Cyrano

Yes, it's perfectly viable but again, get 20 Vigor. There will come a point where you will need the extra health to not die in 1 hit. Basically the 20 Vigor keeps you from getting one-shotted later in the game. Most enemies have enough animation for you to get out of one big hit, so you need to be able to survive that one big hit when it eventually comes. Beyond that, I would suggest either getting up to 20 END for extra stamina (which has ups and downs, but the ups are that you can swing an ultra weapon multiple times without stopping, and this can kill a lot of things before they can ever get a chance to fight back)

I would consider making the ultra weapon your main and a light weapon your secondary, just because the poise damage and knockdown on a weapon are hugely important. The other thing of course is that a lot of ultra weapons also have great stat scaling and thus will do considerably more damage from the scaling alone.

I don't think that staying where you are matters. I believe the two that really matter are staying under 50% and staying under 70%. Have you considered getting a heavier weapon and simply putting more points in stats so your carrying load is higher?

Dr Dogg

Yeah that's how mine was. Guess that's how all of them are then. I got mine from shopto. I'll give them an email too, maybe they'll be more inclined to do something about it with more people complaining. Just annoying we had to wait an extra week than everyone else and even then they still managed to fuck it up.

It's sods bloody law. Supposed packaging and manufacturing errors and it turns out theres also a content bloody missing error too! Still the MetalPAk is nice and the cloth map and artbook are a great extra, still pocket book in size though not looked through it too thoroughly to avoid spoilers but looks like a great mix of concept, rendered and character artwork.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Shaded Ruins is messing my whole shit up. For some reason lion men and curse jars are more difficult than any scenario I've dealt with so far, despite my belief that I was over-leveled. I need to get the cursebite ring I guess.

imBask

Banned
Shaded Ruins is messing my whole shit up. For some reason lion men and curse jars are more difficult than any scenario I've dealt with so far, and I thought I was probably overleveled. I need to get the cursebite ring I guess.

the tauren dudes hit REALLY hard, just play safe and defensive

Anyone else having problems logging on to the servers? I've tried it a couple of times and had no luck. Not even a full restart fixed it.

Is this because I alt-F4'd the last time I played?

Newboi

I haven't been able to play this game nearly as much as I'd like, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's just as fun as Dark Souls 1.

Anyway, I beat the Flexile Sentry last night. I'm at the Lost Bastille now. I'm angry that I can't get back to the previous area via boat now though. I wanted to help others kill the boss. Is the only way to get back there is to travel the first No-man's Wharf bonfire and fight your way through the area again?

I have a Bastardsword +3 and a Greatsword +1, trying to decide what I should invest in further. Any thoughts? I want a hard-hitting melee build that can also some magic. I'm wondering if I should invest in faith as well to do healing miracles?

Grief.exe

Shaded Ruins is messing my whole shit up. For some reason lion men and curse jars are more difficult than any scenario I've dealt with so far, despite my belief that I was over-leveled. I need to get the cursebite ring I guess.

That helps a bit, but once you know the layout the ring becomes unnecessary.

Just take it real slow. If there is more than one curse jar in an area, then do hit and run tactics.

Anyone else having problems logging on to the servers? I've tried it a couple of times and had no luck. Not even a full restart fixed it.

I alt-F4 every time after I select, quit game and it saves.

The game is Steamworks, so try restarting Steam. Your errors are indicative of the Steam community servers having issues.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That helps a bit, but once you know the layout the ring becomes unnecessary.

Just take it real slow. If there is more than one curse jar in an area, then do hit and run tactics.

I guess I'm just not used to backing down from enemies (other than the club turtles). I'll slow it down.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

how about a more simple reason like, the servers are down

Just wondering. If say I can't get the katanas from the dudes in Iron Keep and they despawn, does that mean I'm screwed?

Unless you use an Ascetic yes. Oddly enough I got the katana on my first clear through, no good to me as a STR build.

It took until the 10th clear through to get the items I wanted (Allone Set, only got one leggings drop). RNG gonna RNG.

z1ggy

The 3 Sentinels
made me rage so hard yesterday.

Also, 25 hours into the game and i wasn´t invaded yet (and being in human form a good part of it). Im dissapointed.

I think at the start, the game lacks the general feeling of a Soul game. Then it picks up and becomes awesome.

AkuMifune

Banned
Was very drunk last night and murdered a bunch of people in the bell towers. #nottherealme

If it's any consolation I woke up hungover and full of shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom