• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need someone to explain this to me.

Doing some BellBro'ing today and started the typical melee circling against some guys. Ended up angling it and getting behind him (not entirely, more off at an angle), so I try and swing my sword. My guy stops and tries to bop him with the bottom (hilt) of the sword. Since I'm not moving anymore, the guy gets behind me and shreds me. This has happened twrice so far.

What am I doing and how to I not do it anymore?

Does ringing the bells in Belfry Luna and Sol make anything happen or is it just a reference to the previous game?

It should be noted that both areas are completely optional.

Sullichin

Need someone to explain this to me.

Doing some BellBro'ing today and started the typical melee circling against some guys. Ended up angling it and getting behind him (not entirely, more off at an angle), so I try and swing my sword. My guy stops and tries to bop him with the bottom (hilt) of the sword. Since I'm not moving anymore, the guy gets behind me and shreds me. This has happened twrice so far.

What am I doing and how to I not do it anymore?

It should be noted that both areas are completely optional.
You triggered the backstab animation but he rolled away.

Rudelord

Is nothing resistant to strike damage or is the starting mace just incredible? This thing is doing some really good damage and I've yet to upgrade it at all.

Certain enemies resist slash, none resist strike

so basically if you're looking for one weapon to carry you through the game, a blunt weapon would suffice

Grief.exe

Rumor: Project Beast in development at From Software. Sony Japan Studio rumored to be involved. Doubtful it will come to PC if the Japan Studio rumors are true.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812089

2NhiI9V.jpg

You lose the branch of yores but not the lockstones when you go into NG+.

Interesting, I thought they would encourage sequence-breaking the game in NG+

Rumor: Project Beast in development at From Software. Sony Japan Studio rumored to be involved. Doubtful it will come to PC if the Japan Studio rumors are true.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812089

2NhiI9V.jpg

Interesting, I thought they would encourage sequence-breaking the game in NG+

oh my fucking godddd. PS4 bought.

is there like a checklist of things to do before starting NG+? A friend told me it doesnt
start automatically after you beat the final boss

Forkball

I'm going to level myself up to a billion trying to kill smelter demon as a sunbro. IT CAN'T BE DONE THAT AOE MOVE THAT IS TOTALLY NOT THE MOST TELEGRAPHED THING I'VE EVER SEEN IS JUST TOO UNPREDICTABLE

HoosTrax

Someone is actually cybersquatting on darksouls.com...

Wondering how much they're asking, for Bamco not to pay up.

Wait, I'm standing in front of
rainy Castle Drangleic - is this the last part of the game
?
Not enough close. Maybe halfway.

Mistel

Banned
And I'm done with this f*cking game.

The last section is everything that's wrong with the souls series.

Oh, you have to go to do some bullshit padding level design by hunting down these random giant statues with no direct guidance from the game that this is what you need to do? Also, the Giant remains in the third bonfire in the first castle section apparently don't count?
Giants are easy to kill you do know the one by the soldiers rest is something completely different?
Weight difference mainly, but after studying the resistances it may be worth it in the long run to go with the Drakekeeper. I used GoG on PS3 so I have some attachment to it, time to let go!
I though you were going to dress up as Syan it's an alright greatshield but there's better than it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm going to level myself up to a billion trying to kill smelter demon as a sunbro. IT CAN'T BE DONE THAT AOE MOVE THAT IS TOTALLY NOT THE MOST TELEGRAPHED THING I'VE EVER SEEN IS JUST TOO UNPREDICTABLE

He does the AOE every time he does a jump attack. It is telegraphed.

Keep at it, mate. Don't submit. We can't have you going hollow on us now, can we?

Roll in it a couple times. You may also want to be wearing some heavy fire resistant armor and apply flash sweat and the fire resist ring.

Flash sweat pretty much made the difference on that one. Thanks.

Different question. Just
joined the Blood Brother convenant
how do I use my red soapstone or cracked red eye orbs. I'm currently sitting at the entrance to iron keep and I cant use either item yet I see red summon signs all around me...

Brakke

Banned
Wait, I'm standing in front of
rainy Castle Drangleic - is this the last part of the game
?

After that you go
underground into some caves
then to
a crypt where you get the King's Ring
. Then you take that to
open up a pretty short castle
, then a
short dragon mountain
followed by
another small castle
. Once you talk to
the dragon
, you go into at least one but as many as three
of the memories of the giants preserved in the forest
. Then there's a final showdown in
Drangleic Castle
with
the Queen
and
her lieutenants

I think I'm remembering the sequence right.

Plus that leaves off some end/lategame stuff.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damn, this game is loooong eh?

I just beat the Royal Rat Authority and I think I'm 50 hours in.

Grief.exe

Damn, this game is loooong eh?

I just beat the Royal Rat Authority and I think I'm 50 hours in.

I'm right at the end and I'm about 50 hours in. You can go faster, but I really took my time to explore the world and I still missed some things.

Royal Rat Authority is an optional boss that actually exists in two separate areas, so it's tough to pin pint your progress with that boss alone.

If you someone two other people every boss you could make the game go very fast.

Nibel

After that you go
underground into some caves
then to
a crypt where you get the King's Ring
. Then you take that to
open up a pretty short castle
, then a
short dragon mountain
followed by
another small castle
. Once you talk to
the dragon
, you go into at least one but as many as three
of the memories of the giants preserved in the forest
. Then there's a final showdown in
Drangleic Castle
with
the Queen
and
her lieutenants

I think I'm remembering the sequence right.

Plus that leaves off some end/lategame stuff.

So how many hours of gameplay is that? :D

Different question. Just
how do I use my red soapstone or cracked red eye orbs. I'm currently sitting at the entrance to iron keep and I cant use either item yet I see red summon signs all around me...

You need to be fully human before you can use it... Also connected to the internet but I assume you know that part already.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Royal Rat Authority is an optional boss that actually exists in two separate areas, so it's tough to pin pint your progress with that boss alone.

There are actually 2 different rat bosses, the authority and the vanguard, not the same one in 2 spots.

zma1013

Different question. Just

Move around a bit, try going out onto the bridge. If you can't do it, perhaps there's someone trying to invade. Try going back to the main menu and reload.

Dr Dogg

First off; Squeeeeeee!!! Finally playing Dark Souls II after such a wait.

Secondly; I shamefully died very, very early. Oh well at least that's out the way.

And thirdly; What on earth is going in with the anime hair in the character creator?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
First off; Squeeeeeee!!! Finally playing Dark Souls II after such a wait.

Secondly; I shamefully died very, very early. Oh well at least that's out the way.

And thirdly; What on earth is going in with the anime hair in the character creator?

Well it is a Japanese-developed game.

Grief.exe

its DS2 but demon souls 2. everything adds up sony is involved, from software, looks like a third person action game, from software loves sequels. seems obvious.

Except the Demon Souls 2 part.

I doubt From would be willing to develop something so similar to their current Dark Souls franchise. Doing so would cause brand confusion and possibly cannibalize sales from both titles.

I also find it hard to imagine how they would develop two titles with essentially the same gameplay concurrently like that. How would they innovate both and insure both are solid products?

The rumors pointing to this being a spiritual successor with very different gameplay makes a lot of sense in that regard.

Also, this Sony employee seemed to confirm both the project's existence and the different nature of the gameplay in one genius post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97316936&postcount=48

So, I've talked to the
Ancient Dragon
, defeated the
Giant Lord
and received the item that'd allow me access to the
throne room
, which I suppose is that place where I fought the
Ornstein and Smough throne guys
? Is that the end of the game? Anything else I should do before going there? I thought people mentioned more than one
memory
being in the game? Where are the others?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn. That's the only thing keeping me from using it. Gotta be able to alt tab. Oh well, I only want it for the downsampling. I can wait :)
The newest version of GeDoSaTo allows fullscreen windows mode with downsampling, and Alt+Tab works wonderfully. It's awesome.

Sinatar

So, I've talked to the
Ancient Dragon
, defeated the
Giant Lord
and received the item that'd allow me access to the
throne room
, which I suppose is that place where I fought the
Ornstein and Smough throne guys
? Is that the end of the game? Anything else I should do before going there? I thought people mentioned more than one
memory
being in the game? Where are the others?

There are 3 in the forest of fallen giants, 1 in the room you fought Freya, and you can get a 5th soul by killing the ancient dragon.

My first character took me about 40hrs. My second character took about 10hrs now that I know all the best routes and have gotten used to the game mechanics. I wonder if I should try to do one of those crazy speed runs that beat the game in <1hr.

Vitor711

Giants are easy to kill you do know the one by the soldiers rest is something completely different?

Why would I know that? It's another giant statue. Looks identical.

And the hammer ones are not easy to kill at all. They're annoying as shit. Especially if you don't have ranged attacks.

Sure, I can cheese them all to death with my Dragonrider Bow but that's hardly fun.

Just beat
The Giant Boss Thing and I had no idea you have to do that first before tackling the final boss. Ofc I've already killed the Throne Watchers and had no idea what that area was for. FFS, the endgame is so badly sign-posted. I've been assuming that Vendrick was mandatory and wasting so much time. Ugh.

Arkanius

Guys, about the set

King's Set

Are the stats any good? I was thinking of using the chest, but I'm mostly strength, in NG+ I wanted to go a mix of strength and caster.

Sinatar

Oh wow, that's plenty, I guess I'll go look for them. Are they necessary to unlock the
throne room
or would I be good to go?

You can go to the throne room and fight the first of the 2 end boss battles. You can't do the final final boss until you've cleared the giant memory that has a boss in it.

HoodWinked

Except the Demon Souls 2 part.

I doubt From would be willing to develop something so similar to their current Dark Souls franchise. Doing so would cause brand confusion and possibly cannibalize sales from both titles.

I also find it hard to imagine how they would develop two titles with essentially the same gameplay concurrently like that. How would they innovate both and insure both are solid products?

The rumors pointing to this being a spiritual successor with very different gameplay makes a lot of sense in that regard.

Also, this Sony employee seemed to confirm both the project's existence and the different nature of the gameplay in one genius post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97316936&postcount=48

i wonder if at one point it was demon souls 2 but fromsoft would only stay onboard if they allowed it to disgtinguish itself from dark souls so that its more mutually beneficial to both parties. from software always kind of felt like Tose developing games for others while never being in the spotlight until their recent success with dark souls.

Arelaz

holy shit i'm getting worked by the
medusa boss. i get poisoned immediately i can barely even fight her!
what's the trick here?

By the bonfire, take the torch and then walk up to the windmilll(the shaft that connects it to the wall) and set it on fire to drain the poison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom