• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

i wonder if at one point it was demon souls 2 but fromsoft would only stay onboard if they allowed it to distinguish itself from dark souls so that its more mutually beneficial to both parties. from software always kind of felt like Tose developing games for others while never being in the spotlight until their recent success with dark souls.

Seems like a good theory to me. Maybe Sony approached them and pitched Demon Souls 2, From countered with something that would be mutually beneficial to both parties.

Ignorance is bliss. It's refreshing playing a game and still after 8 hours the majority of the game and it's mechanics are still unknown.

yeah, the exploration of both the environment and the mechanics is a huge part of the fun for me as well. don't really get the wiki mentality, why not fumble around a bit yourself and when you figure it out mostly you start a new character. min/max'ing everything the first run through, does anyone play it like this? where is the fun in that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
holy shit i'm getting worked by the
medusa boss. i get poisoned immediately i can barely even fight her!
what's the trick here?

Near the central bonfire you can walk up to the big windmill on the edge of the building, bring a torch there and set it on fire. This removes the poison from her room.

Grief.exe

Near the central bonfire you can walk up to the big windmill on the edge of the building, bring a torch there and set it on fire. This removes the poison from her room.

That's it?
What about the Pharos stone near the room as well?

I'm guessing

burning the wind mill = remove the poison
Pharos Lock Stone = drain the remaining water from the area

Mistel

Banned
Why would I know that? It's another giant statue. Looks identical.

And the hammer ones are not easy to kill at all. They're annoying as shit. Especially if you don't have ranged attacks.
I went up an hit them with a mastodon greatsword and they died quite quickly. The pyromancy ones are the nasty ones. The tree of the giants gives you seed of a giants you do look around don't you?

Sinatar

That's it?
What about the Pharos stone near the room as well?

I'm guessing

burning the wind mill = remove the poison
Pharos Lock Stone = drain the remaining water from the area

Pharos pool heals you, don't think it does anything to the poison

By the bonfire, take the torch and then walk up to the windmilll(the shaft that connects it to the wall) and set it on fire to drain the poison

thanks bros! was there some hint i missed to actually do this? how would one know to even think of this lulz

Come at me Bell Bro's. I'm in your tower, ringing your bell. 2v1 all day.

2v1?

torii.gif

That's cold bro.

Are Bell Bro's summoned regardless of where in the game they are or do they have to be in the tower as well?

close proximity. and have to have the ring on. Any Lost Bastille bonfire will do, you'll see the bellbro icon in the upper left glow...then it's time to farm them chunks.

Vitor711

I went up an hit them with a mastodon greatsword and they died quite quickly. The pyromancy ones are the nasty ones. The tree of the giants gives you seed of a giants you do look around don't you?

35 hours into DkS 2, beat DeS on import before most people on GAF had even heard of it, and you ask if I look around? Condescending much?

There was no seed in its hand when I saw it first time. Second time I was just confused as to why it wouldn't let me enter a memory. Pressed A, picked up a seed. Assumed that this was just something they all did. It looks the same to all the giant statues - had no idea about the invasion/seed mechanic. And, honestly, why the f*ck would I? I went to that area once, no boss door, no shortcut, no merchant. Never went back.

If you're really going to argue that the whole 'Vendrick Armour Reduction' and 'Memory' nonsense is in any way transparent and not horribly obtuse, I don't think you'd get very far.

Dr Dogg

Ok what's happened to the ladder slide. First attempt I catapulted myself off the ladder almost to my death. Did you always have to hold the button?

Also almost got eaten to death by a bunch of skinless pigs whilst chatting to the Irish looking lady. When did they come from? 3 of them came running at me from no where. I did take a peek in that big hole though, which was taunting me with out of reach shinys.

Well it is a Japanese-developed game.

Hahaha well yeah that sort of makes sense but compared to the rest of theme of the world a few of them stick out like sore thumbs.

ugoo18

Well, for all the prerelease hyped him, Looking Glass Knight was kind of a huge pushover. Also, I somehow missed two bonfires in that area even though I thought I saw most of the level. Gotta go back I guess.

The room after the first ever bonfire in Drangleic Castle was more problematic than he was.

Desaan

It always ends up 2v1 unless someone dies fast. One guy invades my game, we start duking it out, then another comes in almost guaranteed.

There seems to be a limit on invasions after killing a few of them because then I have to go back to rest at the bonfire in order for them to continue invading.

Sinatar

Ok what's happened to the ladder slide. First attempt I catapulted myself off the ladder almost to my death. Did you always have to hold the button?

You have hold and hit a direction now, but the upside of this is you can fast move up ladders now, not just down. Tapping B now makes you release the ladder and drop.

Mistel

Banned
35 hours into DkS 2, beat DeS on import before most people on GAF had even heard of it, and you ask if I look around? Condescending much?

There was no seed in its hand when I saw it first time. Second time I was just confused as to why it wouldn't let me enter a memory. Pressed A, picked up a seed. Assumed that this was just something they all did. It looks the same to all the giant statues - had no idea about the invasion/seed mechanic. And, honestly, why the f*ck would I? I went to that area once, no boss door, no shortcut, no merchant. Never went back.
Your complaining about an assumption you made that's why I asked.

It always ends up 2v1 unless someone dies fast. One guy invades my game, we start duking it out, then another comes in almost guaranteed.

There seems to be a limit on invasions after killing a few of them because then I have to go back to rest at the bonfire in order for them to continue invading.

I've had that happen a lot as well. I find it shitty when I get pulled in and there is already 2 there for the other side. Generally results in insta-gib

Sullichin

If you're really going to argue that the whole 'Vendrick Armour Reduction' and 'Memory' nonsense is in any way transparent and not horribly obtuse, I don't think you'd get very far.

I do think the soldier's rest bonfire giant is a strange/bad design choice. You might be inclined to check out the giants
after getting the ashen mist heart
- honestly that was enough to nudge me in the right direction, I assumed I had to come back there eventually - but if you went to Soldier's rest first you might think that it's not what you were supposed to do.

ElFly

Let's not fight, bros.

Vendrick's Giant Soul armor thingie is no more obscure than Artorias' Abysswalking and Demon....general world tendency system.

yatesl

The
Chariot
fight was fun. Different from the others. Quite good to co-op, too - especially when you get paired with a third person who has never seen it before, and gets insta-gibbed.

I'm at the
Dragelic(?) Castle
now. I can't tell if I'm half way through the game, or nearing the end - I'm already level 120 (or there abouts).

Why would I know that? It's another giant statue. Looks identical.

And the hammer ones are not easy to kill at all. They're annoying as shit. Especially if you don't have ranged attacks.

Sure, I can cheese them all to death with my Dragonrider Bow but that's hardly fun.

Just beat
The Giant Boss Thing and I had no idea you have to do that first before tackling the final boss. Ofc I've already killed the Throne Watchers and had no idea what that area was for. FFS, the endgame is so badly sign-posted. I've been assuming that Vendrick was mandatory and wasting so much time. Ugh.

If you didn't
already beat the Throne Duo before obtaining Giant's Kinship, you'd have to do an endurance battle, back to back with Nashandra right after.

Booshka

Even without beating it?

Yes, or Quit game after you grab your souls and you will be in front of the boss fog when you reload. Homeward bone is a little too risky because of how long it takes. Wear a Life Protection ring, rush in there and grab your souls, quit game and reload it. Then you can homeward bone right in front of the boss fog safe and sound.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There is one (it's a utility that's not specifically designed for the game) but apparently it doesn't work very well.

Can you alt+tab / alt+f4 / use steam overlay with GeDoSaTo yet?
Sulli, just wanted to mention again in case you missed it, the latest version of it allows you to downsample in Borderless Windowed mode, which enables Alt-Tabbing

Zocano

Well there is a place you can go to that tells you directly where to go with the memory stuff:
The queen you meet in Drangleic very explicitly tells you where to go in the latter half of the game. She tells you what to do the first time you talk to her and tells you what to do basically at each point in the latter half of the game.

Also the Armor thing is pretty obscure, yah, I agree but it isn't something mandatory and not getting it immediately should lead you to wonder where it is.

BadTaste

I guess I need a lot of fire defense/resistance in Iron Keep.. I can't reach the treasure at the start lol.

Also, using a Mace/Sword combo is beast, press L2 = godly.

UrbanRats

i'm really getting tired of this Drangleic armor set, when is something better coming along?
I just beat the 3 sentinels, for reference.

Dr Dogg

Gone through this thread and a few other places and ever set of SLI bits I've used have had some issues here and there, mainly texture flickering. Anyone got a preferred set at all? Cheers in advance.

You have hold and hit a direction now, but the upside of this is you can fast move up ladders now, not just down. Tapping B now makes you release the ladder and drop.

Aha! Thanks, that makes sense as to why I almost committed suicide.

Garcia

Just for comparative purposes, could anyone with the PS3 version give us an update of the total number of deaths on consoles?

Forkball

Sweet Jesus you guys are the best. I have so many souls from trying to kill SD and failing, including sunbro practice runs. My soul memory is probably effed now, RIP Belfry.

Taruranto

Me thinks this Pharos dude was quite the asshole... also didn't realize the
Grave of Saints
was optional, I skipped directly to
Blightown.2
since I had the ring. No wonder there were so many "dead end" message when I came from there the first time.

Also fuck poision and this area.

Grief.exe

Wow, can't believe they have something far enough along to start teasing already. Probably over a year away from release, but my PS4 is ready if that's the case.

Hope to GOD for PC.

Not likely.

It's been heavily rumored that From is working with Sony Japan Studio on this one.

Looks like the rumored PS4 project that Miyazaki is working on.

Gone through this thread and a few other places and ever set of SLI bits I've used have had some issues here and there, mainly texture flickering. Anyone got a preferred set at all? Cheers in advance.

Check my Twitter, I just sent a good bit to Total Biscuit.

I would link you myself but it's not really easy for me at the moment.

Has anyone gotten GeDoSaTo to work with Vista?

Remember to right-click and run as administrator.

Would someone expand on this, please?

Thanks, glad to hear I'm on the right path. I'll start beefing up FTH now since Heide Knight Sword is my main anyway.

Most bosses are weak to lightning damage. Maces (even the mace you start with) are the superior pve damage type. Free healing on Faith build. Basically put enough strength and dex to use the strike weapon you want, find a 100% physical shield, and then just put points into faith for more damage, or endurance, vitality, adaption (all have softcaps at 20) and enough in vigor to be below 70% equip weight. Imbue your weapon with either lightning or fire and you're pretty much good for the rest of the game. The chest piece you start out with as a cleric is also really good.

edit: Oh and attunement, you'd probably be fine with 3-4 slots which is 16/20 points iirc.

Carm

So, playing regular old NG, in Huntman's copse, wanted to pick up a miracle and some items from Blue Sentinels Covenant. Bought my stuff and figured what the heck, donned the ring. Traveled back to HC to get to the third bonfire, and bam "You are being summoned". I was, oh shit, didn't actually expect it to go off from all the talk about it on NG. I get teleported in, right at the tree you knock over by second bonfire, invader right next to me. I get a few whacks in, and then promptly die. =x

I would stay in the covenant but I'm not built for pvp and I'm not good at it, from the two encounters I've had so far. That Wrath of the Gods miracle being at 150 kills sucks, don't think I'll ever bother because there is no way I'm gonna kill enough to get that amount. That Sunbros covenant looks better and easier to attain the 30 medal reward, trying to get there atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom