• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
man I cant get into this game :(.

I made it to majula and reached a couple different areas and just end up dying every single time. Im trying to play it slow but some of the shots these bigger enemies throw at you feel so cheap.

maybe its the class im playing (swordsman)

whats the best class to start with if im new?

im going to try and restart

Have you by any chance joined the Convenat of Champions, which significantly raises the difficulty of the enemies? I had a really tough early game because I joined it without knowing what it really does. Pretty sure it happened to a lot of people because they were struggling early on

akira28

Ugh the
Shrine of Amana
is not fun at all.
The water, underwater enemies and knights aren't bad but those sorcerers and their map ranging spells
can go jump of a cliff -_-

the bloated sorcerers in DkS1 could fire those dark mass projectiles almost the length of a football field. I had one shoot almost from the end of a corridor to the 3rd bonfire in Lost Izalith. Figured I could outdistance him and be safe, but no, he one-shotted me a zip code away.

It's fun when I get summoned to help with a boss and the cutscene triggers when the host enters the mist and then they die in the first 5 seconds. :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks everyone!

Yeah consider Cleric as well. I started with it on this version and it's worth it because you get a mace (which you have to 2 hand). The mace destroys anything early on and is definitely the best starting weapon you can have. Upgraded it's viable for the entire game

ugoo18

the bloated sorcerers in DkS1 could fire those dark mass projectiles almost the length of a football field. I had one shoot almost from the end of a corridor to the 3rd bonfire in Lost Izalith. Figured I could outdistance him and be safe, but no, he one-shotted me a zip code away.

Yeah but there weren't so many of them in specific areas or bunched up, the
2nd hut opens to an area with 5 of them within firing distance of each other.

The area after the fog has at least 5 of them by my count
:/

Plus you still had normal mobility, here your either slowed in water or on strips of land avoiding these long range incredibly accurate sorcerers.

I keep seeing "illusiory wall ahead" messages that are placed by suspicious looking walls, but they're so close to the wall that I'm worried that I can't interact with the wall instead of reading the message, and there's no toggle option, so... are these keeping me from activating the walls?

I keep seeing "illusiory wall ahead" messages that are placed by suspicious looking walls, but they're so close to the wall that I'm worried that I can't interact with the wall instead of reading the message, and there's no toggle option, so... are these keeping me from activating the walls?

Nope. They're just trolls. And then more trolls rate them up. I've seen messages like that have nearly 300 ratings. :p

Nope. They're just trolls. And then more trolls rate them up. I've seen messages like that have nearly 300 ratings. :p

The best is when you have another message right before it that says "liar ahead" with another 300 votes.

Although, I'm pretty sure messages too close to illusory walls CAN prevent you from opening them...I've taken the habit of doing a quick save and reload when I think that's the case, as it takes a moment for the messages to appear. (Which is really annoying, but hey.)

Dr Dogg

Well you don't even have to look at the Steam charts to know it's a bit active. There's blood stains and messages everywhere. Enemy drops right on top of them is turning into a right pain at times.

Grief.exe

The open command will always go to the illusion wall over the message if the wall is there.

Imagine it is just like when there is a message next to a regular door, where you have the option to open or read and toggle between both. Just the game isn't showing the open command for the illusion wall for obvious reasons.

Doombear

I'm having issues with my internet, so online pvp is not an option for the question I'm about to ask, which is: Is there a good way to earn a couple of titanite chunks? I need a couple to fully upgrade my weapon.

Dropped by:
- Large Gyrm at Doors of Pharros. ~3% when wearing Jesters Helm, Prisoners Tatters and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2
- Dropped by Coal Tar in Black Gulch (beasts that hide in the small pools) 5% chance of titanite chunk, 10% chance of large titanite
- The Undead Peasants in Brightstone Cove Tseldora, 3% chance

Vitor711

I do think the soldier's rest bonfire giant is a strange/bad design choice. You might be inclined to check out the giants
after getting the ashen mist heart
- honestly that was enough to nudge me in the right direction, I assumed I had to come back there eventually - but if you went to Soldier's rest first you might think that it's not what you were supposed to do.

Exactly the issue I had. Cleared out every area, spoken to every character I came across and no idea what to do next. Having to revisit areas that I hadn't been to in 20 hours was bizarre. And yes, a certain character may tell you where to go next but, at the same time, I would have needed someone to tell me to go see them to begin with.

I'm happy to backtrack as long as it's clear why I'm doing so. Just bumbling about until I find the right thing in a game as big as this hardly seems like fun.

Your complaining about an assumption you made that's why I asked.

This whole quest is practically predisposed on you making assumptions. That the designers poorly sign-posted the ones I was meant to make is hardly my fault.

If you didn't
already beat the Throne Duo before obtaining Giant's Kinship, you'd have to do an endurance battle, back to back with Nashandra right after.

Oh well thank f*ck that I did get confused then. Although I still think that it ended up costing me more wasted time in the end.

Also, did anyone else realise that you don't have to wait for your stamina to recharge before you can run again if it's depleted? Just do a single roll and you're allowed to sprint once more. Weird.

The open command will always go to the illusion wall over the message if the wall is there.

Imagine it is just like when there is a message next to a regular door, where you have the option to open or read and toggle between both. Just the game isn't showing the open command for the illusion wall for obvious reasons.
Actually, there won't be a prompt at all if there's an illusory wall (because they are sneaky that way), and I believe that messages cannot be laid down in front of such a wall. (In which case a message would indicate the lack of an illusory wall).

akira28

It's fun when I get summoned to help with a boss and the cutscene triggers when the host enters the mist and then they die in the first 5 seconds. :p

I was summoned in Bastille and it was a continuous shit-show in that one mobbed room. Host, me and one other shade were running around trying to kill the dudes, or trying to run away, and blocking each other in. One of them closes the door on me and leaves me in with the mob, so I run down to the second level to try to kite, they come back in and try to fight and we all keep missing our swings and keep getting plastered. Host is just about to die, and I low stamina swing and luckily kill his attacker. Then we heal up, run back to the room with all the powder kegs, and I see where this is going, so I try to run back down the hallway, but guy #3 is blocking us in. Host blows up the keg, taking away most of all our health, but killing two hollows which gets me my requirements for the stone, then guy #3 comes in, slashes at the remaining hollow next to the other stack of powder kegs, killing everything in the room, host, me, and himself. But by then I'm already warping out with my stone.

There is just so much slapstick potential in co-op, I almost wish friendly fire was enabled. I wish I had got it on video.

Grief.exe

When I go into NG+ I'm going to make a spreadsheet tallying up all the things I missed on my blind play through.

NPC story lines, spells/gestures I need to acquire, Covenants (though I only missed one), etc.

Booshka

I'm having issues with my internet, so online pvp is not an option for the question I'm about to ask, which is: Is there a good way to earn a couple of titanite chunks? I need a couple to fully upgrade my weapon.

Farm the
Hand creatures in Black Gulch that pop out of the pools of tar/oil.
Best farm method is to start from second bonfire and make your way back up. Most of the
poison statues
won't hit you on the way back because they are positioned for the opposite direction. They drop large shards and chunks, but I got lucky and they mostly dropped Chunks.

If you aren't having the best luck with them, try farming the
Gyrm Warriors in Doors of Pharros area

Uthred

Exactly the issue I had. Cleared out every area, spoken to every character I came across and no idea what to do next. Having to revisit areas that I hadn't been to in 20 hours was bizarre. And yes, a certain character may tell you where to go next but, at the same time, I would have needed someone to tell me to go see them to begin with.

I'm happy to backtrack as long as it's clear why I'm doing so. Just bumbling about until I find the right thing in a game as big as this hardly seems like fun.

By that point in the game doesnt it show you the areas/bonfired youve missed? Doesnt seem like much of a stretch to expect you to think, "Hey maybe I should go check out this place I havent been" Also arent the
Giants memories
optional? Having the optional content be a little obtuse doesnt seem entirely out of left-field.

Someone put this down before the big ladder in the Castle.

58D5F737186D3CA27CAC9D60E9F291827D13ABE7

sixghost

Is Dark scaling on weapons pointless for anyone other than hex users? Scaling with the lower of FAI/INT seems so harsh. I wanted to try out
Vestalt's hammer, but I don't have nearly enough points in Faith and Int to get any sort of scaling on it.

I seriously about threw my controller across the room trying to get through the Crumbled Ruins, I have probably tried 12 times before I gave up, just got overwhelmed time and time again by those magic casters UGHHHH.

KarmaCow

Okay what the hell, the game doesn't want me to beat the (boss spoilers) A
ncient Dragon. I have gotten him down to 25% about 5 times now and some bullshit happens like the character refusing to run for some reason, a pixel of fire hitting me, or it freaks out and I lose track of its tail so I can know where to run.

Is the refusing to run a controller problem on my end or has anyone else experienced it? It seemingly only happens when things are tense, so it's not completely random so I'm hoping it's just me getting nervous. I don't believe it's due to me running when I'm empty on stamina but I'm at a loss trying to figure it out. I've been playing very conservatively, making sure to never be at 0 stamina when the wings are flapping but it's just infuriating seeing the character walk forward.

It's an all around pretty dumb fight with an annoying lead up to the boss fog wall. Fortunately the enemies are pretty much all dead at this point so I can just run there unimpeded. I'm not claiming to be executing the fight perfectly either but I really don't like how the instant death fire's range is so vague. Unless I'm missing something, avoiding the fire amounts to just running to the tail and blindly hoping that you're out of range.

Grief.exe

Nabs, what was the alternative to DS4 tool you were using?

Looks like development has been halted on Tool.

Hi, guys. I know its been a while since i posted here.
I've been quite busy, and didn't have spare time to continune programming this on the side.

I regret to say that i most likely will not be coming back to actively work on this in any near future.

This project has been a pleasure and time well spent, thank you for all your feedback.

I hope that DS4Tool will keep getting better/improved by all other devs.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper?page=273

Okay what the hell, the game doesn't want me to beat the (boss spoilers) A
ncient Dragon. I have gotten him down to 25% about 5 times now and some bullshit happens like the character refusing to run for some reason, a pixel of fire hitting me, or it freaks out and I lose track of its tail so I can know where to run.

Is the refusing to run a controller problem on my end or has anyone else experienced it? It seemingly only happens when things are tense, so it's not completely random so I'm hoping it's just me getting nervous. I don't believe it's due to me running when I'm empty on stamina but I'm at a loss trying to figure it out. I've been playing very conservatively, making sure to never be at 0 stamina when the wings are flapping but it's just infuriating seeing the character walk forward.

It's an all around pretty dumb fight with an annoying lead up to the boss fog wall. Fortunately the enemies are pretty much all dead at this point so I can just run there unimpeded. I'm not claiming to be executing the fight perfectly either but I really don't like how the instant death fire's range is so vague. Unless I'm missing something, avoiding the fire amounts to just running to the tail and blindly hoping that you're out of range.

If you use up all your stamina, you cannot run until your stamina bar fully recharges.

justjim89

Jut beat the Ruined Sentinels with two helpers summoned. I feel no guilt at all. Fuck those guys.

It feels really weird so far that most enemies and bosses have just been dudes in armor.

akira28

I wish they'd just listen to my wishes and shower me with dragon bones and titanite chunks.

the girl bird is so cute though. "yes, you! giff us silky!"
crush up an old coin and put on my explorer hat, and now that I look at the chart, my get list has been pretty good. got 2 slabs, the whip, the ring, and the demon hammer all from smooth stones. not that I can actually use any of that stuff...

edit: my theory on why we see so many humanoid bosses is that this is an age later than DkS1, since they refer to everything from that game as ancient and almost forgotten. All those legendary creatures were replaced by less legendary ones, and more haunted suits of armor and evil magical humanoids.

justjim89

Shit. Just learned the big dude in the house in No Man's Wharf with all the spider dudes in it was an NPC who sells poison arrows. I shot at him as soon as I saw him. I've been wanting poison arrows for a while now and was wondering why I hadn't found them yet.

Any other major repercussions from killing him? Any way to get him back?

nbthedude

Jut beat the Ruined Sentinels with two helpers summoned. I feel no guilt at all. Fuck those guys.

It feels really weird so far that most enemies and bosses have just been dudes in armor.

I just beat them an hour ago solo. It took me a ton of times. And I gave up in the middle and went and did Hunter's Copse and Wharf and when I came back they still kicked my ass. I was seriously on the verge of giving up but then I beat them and it felt so damn good. Hands kept shaking for a good 4 or 5 minutes.

That's Dark Souls.

justjim89

I just beat them an hour ago solo. It took me a ton of times. And I gave up in the middle and went and did Hunter's Copse and Wharf and when I came back they still kicked my ass. I was seriously on the verge of giving up but then I beat them and it felt so damn good. Hands kept shaking for a good 4 or 5 minutes.

That's Dark Souls.

It just got frustrating after about 20 tries because there's no way to isolate the 3rd guy from the 2nd guy, and those wide ass arcs they swing are crazy.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Shrine of Amana was one of my favorite areas thus far. It's really hard even if you summon some Sunbros to help you - the long rage mages force your hand and keep you moving. A lot of fun for my stamina/great club build. I had 50k souls banked up and I made the great decision to fight the boss there.. probably my favorite boss looks-wise.

nbthedude

It just got frustrating after about 20 tries because there's no way to isolate the 3rd guy from the 2nd guy, and those wide ass arcs they swing are crazy.

Yeah the strategy that worked for me was to stay on top and get a couple of quick combos combos on to the 3rd guy before his buddy joins him then dropping down. Then I just kind o f tried to be patient and continued to focus only on that guy I'd hit up top until I took him out. It was extremely nerve wracking, no doubt. But rewarding as well.

Shit. Just learned the big dude in the house in No Man's Wharf with all the spider dudes in it was an NPC who sells poison arrows. I shot at him as soon as I saw him. I've been wanting poison arrows for a while now and was wondering why I hadn't found them yet.

Any other major repercussions from killing him? Any way to get him back?

It may give you sin so Blue Sentinels can invade you. You may be able to get a pardon, but the Pardoner is fairly far away. If it works there should be a grave stone to revive him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom