• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

NG+
Heides + Cathedral of Blue
combo so far has been the most barren in terms of summon signs scattered throughout the place. I got summoned 7 times in a row (and I got around 200k souls) but I could only summon 2 guys in an hour.

SM 5 Million. Invasions are now pretty common.

So, another boss to add to my "defeated in one try" list...O
ld Iron King
of the I
ron Keep
. Along with
The Rotten
and
Lost Sinner
, the
Great Soul
bosses have been disappointing.

I just got to
Drangleic Castle
and haven't came across the elite knight armor.

Have I missed it or am I still not far enough in?

Taruranto

So... I equipped my bell ring 'cause I wanted to try the new exes (I totally missed the merchant until now lol 'cause I went through the forest in the beggining) and got teleported here...

M3xNf7y.jpg

lolwut? It's probably some end-game area I haven't reached yet, cause I was locked in one room and couldn't move out (fog wall).

Anyway, I'm really impressed with the game consistency when it comes to level design. So far there hasn't been anything close to dragon's asses and the other end-game areas of DS1.

So... I equipped my bell ring 'cause I wanted to try the new exes and got teleported here...

lolwut? It's probably some end-game area I haven't reached yet, cause I was locked in one room and couldn't move out (fog wall)..
That confused me at first as well, but there's a sort of roof or incline that you can go up to reach the filthy trespasser.

HOLY CRAP THERE IS SO MUCH STUFF I CAN GO DO.

I'm really liking the amount of non linearity in the game so far. There's about 4 areas that I'm partway through now...(I get stuck at a boss a couple of times in an area and then go wander around somewhere else and stumble upon an entirely new area to explore). Pretty cool stuff.

Taruranto

HOLY CRAP THERE IS SO MUCH STUFF I CAN GO DO.

I'm really liking the amount of non linearity in the game so far. There's about 4 areas that I'm partway through now...(I get stuck at a boss a couple of times in an area and then go wander around somewhere else and stumble upon an entirely new area to explore). Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, it's really good. It doesn't have DS1 interconnected areas, but it makes up with an incredible ammount of non-linearity. You can get to the
Lost Bastille
in 2 ways, for example.

ugoo18

Yeah, it's really good. It doesn't have DS1 interconnected areas, but it makes up with an incredible ammount of non-linearity. You can get to the
Lost Bastille
in 2 ways, for example.

I kind of having been missing that so far, made DS1 feel like one big world that was alive. DS2 feels like different levels i can travel between.

When I go into NG+ I'm going to make a spreadsheet tallying up all the things I missed on my blind play through.

NPC story lines, spells/gestures I need to acquire, Covenants (though I only missed one), etc.

I would recommend doing
Pilgrims of Dark covenant
before ng+. It can certainly be done in ng+, but it is hard enough as it is in ng.

Meia

I kind of having been missing that so far, made DS1 feel like one big world that was alive. DS2 feels like different levels i can travel between.

It did, but I can kind of see what they're going for. Dark Souls 1 ended with you needing to go to 4 different areas that weren't connected, so they give you the ability to warp around bonfires beforehand. Dark Souls 2 STARTS this way, so it makes sense.

Just got the
King's Ring
, so now I get to go and open up all those doors I couldn't before I think. :D

I was worried about not being able to farm or whatever before the game came out in terms of souls, but at this point I find myself at lv103 already, so yeah. Seems if you don't lose your souls all that often, you'll beat the game around the self-imposed 120 slevel limit anyway. Never came close to hitting that in DS1, even with all the areas you could cheaply farm at.

Anyhoo, have 50 faith, 20 STR and 13 DEX(to use my lightning claymore, waiting to see if I can replace that with anything), have 32 ATN(to get extra casts on some spells), and have both VIT and END to 10, so getting both to 20 I guess. Lightning Spear seems a hell of a lot stronger in this game to me(even without all the extra +damage buffs from equipment that existed in DS1), and that you can easily get multiple copies of it is nice.

I beat the last boss, but I skipped a lot of content to get it over with because I wasn't satisfied with how my character turned out and didn't want to respec.

Biggest problems with the game: Adaptability is stupid. Don't make the character control like crap and have rolls be misleading, and you need a stat to alleviate it somewhat. And no light roll? Why not have an Adaptability requirement for it instead of removing it? Now there's no visible difference between any of the roll tiers, because everything is medium roll until you get over 70%. Also makes the game feel much less precise and unfair, with boss attacks constantly clipping you mid-roll because you weren't in your invincibility frames.

Weapons feel slow, too many shared movesets, and just don't feel very heavy or menacing.

The bosses range from okay to bland, with at least one bad.
The Throne Defender and Throne Watcher. These two are horrible. They aren't two distinctly different bosses with exploitable patterns and weaknesses like Ornstein and Smough. They're merely the "Oversized Knight" enemies you've already been fighting for the past few hours, but now they can't be staggered nearly as easily and have boss health bars. There's also no reliable way to separate them, pretty much leaving this fight to pure chance and/ or patience. Also the soundtrack is weak. No chorus, no crescendo, nothing. Just sounds like... nothing. Fuck this fight.

As for the final boss:
In a word, lame. She has no tragic motivation or backstory or anything. Music was forgettable. Looks like a Nito genderswap. She's supposed to be a piece of Manus, but Manus was an ancient human corrupted by an excess of Humanity, not a spooky skeleton. While Gwyn was easy once you knew his tricks, he was still the most aggressive boss in the game. This thing doesn't feel any different than any of the other bosses.

man I love this game

Yeah, it's a lot of fun.

I think the more interesting level design gives it the upper hand over Dark Souls, for me. There's always something over there, hidden behind that thing, just outside of of normal view, guarded by two guys above it, just waiting to be found. The last 1/3 of Dark Souls was a bit of a drag, so if the levels in Dark Souls 2 are all designed as good as the early stuff has been then I'll be very satisfied with DS2 in the end.

The only detraction so far has been the inconsistently designed bosses, which are a pain. Fighting (boss names)
Rat Authority
and then
the Preacher and Conregation
(like I did) makes it feel like two different games.

Vitor711

By that point in the game doesnt it show you the areas/bonfired youve missed? Doesnt seem like much of a stretch to expect you to think, "Hey maybe I should go check out this place I havent been" Also arent the
Giants memories
optional? Having the optional content be a little obtuse doesnt seem entirely out of left-field.

That wasn't the issue. I'd been to all the bonfires. But because I visited certain areas in the 'wrong' order, I had no idea how to proceed.

I did like the appearance of the '??? bonfires' in the menu though, that was smart.

However, everything else at the end confused me so much that I thought the optional content was the endgame. And, to be fair, there was no reason as to why I would assume otherwise. It was the only content I thought I hadn't done yet so I forced myself to play through several hours of stuff that I ended up genuinely disliking which was a shame. Soured me on the game a little bit.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Lost Bastille
in 2 ways, for example.

"Incredible" is an incredible amount of hyperbole. There is ONE area in the game that can be accessed by multiple (read: two) routes. One. Every other area in the game has a single entrance, and is connected through some linear process. About the only non-linearity that exists in the game is the order you tackle bosses. This is contrast to DS1 which actually did have multiple paths to multiple areas (off the top of my head I'm remembering two ways to get to Blighttown, and two ways to get to the Forest level).

I mean the game is fun, but to suggest it's non-linear. . .come on now.

Also Steam is garbage.

LiK

I've decided to go all melee instead of spamming spells.

But Velstadt has kicked my ass a few times when I got him almost dead so I switched to summon/spells.

But now the online failed me :(

don't you love when you get him to one more hit and he decides to charge you with an overhead swing and one shots you? Yea, I've been there...

don't you love when you get him to one more hit and he decides to charge you with an overhead swing and one shots you? Yea, I've been there...

This confirms my suspicions. I'm way too over-leveled. I'm still on my first game, and am lv 185. I killed that boss in 4 or 5 hits, never took damage. I should start a new game...

Uthred

"Incredible" is an incredible amount of hyperbole. There is ONE area in the game that can be accessed by multiple (read: two) routes. One. Every other area in the game has a single entrance, and is connected through some linear process. About the only non-linearity that exists in the game is the order you tackle bosses. This is contrast to DS1 which actually did have multiple paths to multiple areas (off the top of my head I'm remembering two ways to get to Blighttown, and two ways to get to the Forest level).

Also Steam is garbage.

Pretty sure there are more areas than the Lost Bastille (and obviously Majula that have multiple connections), Heide's Tower, Huntsman Copse, Shaded Woods Drangleic Castle and I suppose technically the Forest of Fallen Giants all have more than just an "In/Out" connection do they not? Also I think the "only non-linearity that exists in the game is the order you tackle bosses" is understateing it a bit when that was the main linearity in the earlier games.

ElFly

noticed that I had skipped the wharf all this time

went back and summoned lucatiel for her cheevo/story

she just fell into the water when we almost to the pirate ship

lucatiel you mother fucker

Also Steam is garbage.

In Dark Souls 2 there is not a set, linear progression of levels. The player chooses how and when to tackle each area, which means different players can have entirely different experiences with the game. In this manner, it is a non-linear game.

If it were a linear game, each area would be split into a specific, linear progression of levels. There would be much less variantion in a player's experiences; items would be less varied, and a player's tactics would be more homogenized. It would be an entirely different beast of a game.

Also, I agree about Steam

Levyne

Banned
It's not black and white, a game's not "linear" or "not". Various degrees of open-ness, I don't have a better word I guess.

Dark Souls 2 is not as "open" as 1, I agree, but to say "The game is linear" then suggests a lot of improper comparisons to games that are actually linear.

Absolutely. DS2 can't top the world construction of DS1, at least in my book. The individual areas are fine, and some are plain great, but the fact that they aren't interconnected takes away a huge chunk of what makes Dark Souls what it is.

I think the bonfire warping, if decided on at the beginning of the project, really threw off the entire feel of the game in that regard. However, it may have been introduced part way just because they ended up not thinking about how they were going to connect the areas.

Taruranto

Nope that's iron keep before the mid point.

That's the mid point? How freacking long is this game lol.

Also Steam is garbage.

Definitely not. For example, you can completely skip the
Grave of Saints
by using the
The Pit in Majula.

And let's not pretend DS1 last half wasn't "linear". The archives + seth's cave and Tomb of Giants were as linear as they come.

EasyMode

I had this same problem with her in another area. Why did they have to place her signs in areas with narrow walkways and water? :mad:

LiK

she never did that for me on both PS3 and PC. do you guys sprint on there? i always keep checking if she was following me and i only did a normal run.

Absolutely. DS2 can't top the world construction of DS1, at least in my book. The individual areas are fine, and some are plain great, but the fact that they aren't interconnected takes away a huge chunk of what makes Dark Souls what it is.

I think the bonfire warping, if decided on at the beginning of the project, really threw off the entire feel of the game in that regard. However, it may have been introduced part way just because they ended up not thinking about how they were going to connect the areas.

No game can touch the brilliant way Dark Souls world came together however as someone who played it for over 500 hours and already put nearly a hundred in this one I'll take warping. Yeah it looses a little bit of the magic that souls had when the world tied together before your eyes but after my third playthrough I couldn't wait to get the Lordvessel so I could warp to different places and even then having access to every bonfire makes invading, co opping, farming much less of a hassle for those of us who play it many times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom