• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

she never did that for me on both PS3 and PC. do you guys sprint on there? i always keep checking if she was following me and i only did a normal run.

I was just walking slowly trying to trigger those two pirates that are hanging from the edge to climb.

The second climbed and I get the message that Lucatiel had been vanquished; she was full of health just a second before, so she fell.

LiK

I was just walking slowly trying to trigger those two pirates that are hanging from the edge to climb.

The second climbed and I get the message that Lucatiel had been vanquished; she was full of health just a second before, so she fell.

ohhh, i clear out all enemies before summoning her.

The fact that I'm already looking at the last boss makes me sad... D;
Oh well, there's always the Champion's covenant.

there's NG+ dude. and no, it's not simply harder enemies :)

Levyne

Banned
I like the Bonfire warping. I guess it's a little "Casual" but which bonfires were "warp-able" or not in DS1 did seem a bit arbitrary.

I like the Bonfire warping. I guess it's a little "Casual" but which bonfires were "warp-able" or not in DS1 did seem a bit arbitrary.

Same.

Although, the one shitty thing about bonfire warping is that they took out leveling up at any bonfire.

Question about "Master of ______" achievements - do I need to only buy/earn them all or do I need to take the time to attune them all as well?

Grief.exe

I would have preferred if they had made the first few areas intricately connected, then open up full warping.

I felt disconnected from the world of Drangelic due to the constant warping. I often don't remember how I got to a specific area or which areas are connected.

A second play through will probably solidify these connections, but the point still stands.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Personally, I feel like the level design is much improved over the first game thanks to From not having to find ways to connect each area. Exploration is much more fun this time around.

Also, I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't place my summon sign. Come on Valve :|

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Already I feel sort of late to the party (started playing yesterday), but anyway. I've gotten a good ways into No Man's Wharf. Made it to the sorcerer whose name starts with a C; but he won't talk much with me, presumably because of my low Intelligence. Problem is, I'm not sure how to proceed from this point. I've gotten to the end of the pier and can see the pirate ship in the distance ... but if there's some way to reach it, I'm not seeing it. I'd rather not consult the wiki, but I've been milling around for half an hour with nothing to show for it.

Taruranto

It irked me as first, but then I remember when I replayed DS1 I basically had to rush to Anor Londo to get the the Soul Vessel to do pvp, get the weapons I wanted, etc, so I went "meh, whatever".

Levyne

Banned
Already I feel sort of late to the party (started playing yesterday), but anyway. I've gotten a good ways into No Man's Wharf. Made it to the sorcerer whose name starts with a C; but he won't talk much with me, presumably because of my low Intelligence. Problem is, I'm not sure how to proceed from this point. I've gotten to the end of the pier and can see the pirate ship in the distance ... but if there's some way to reach it, I'm not seeing it. I'd rather not consult the wiki, but I've been milling around for half an hour with nothing to show for it.

You can get the ship to move. (hint)
It's something you interact with a fair bit back.

It irked me as first, but then I remember when I replayed DS1 I basically had to rush to Anor Londo to get the the Soul Vessel to do pvp, get the weapons I wanted, etc, so I went "meh, whatever".

Why was the Blighttown bonfire not a possible destination! D: (Though there was one close enough I guess.

There's a
bell
at the top of the Wharf that you missed.

Coldsun

Banned

Explore the Wharf some more. If you can't get to the boat, you can probably bring the boat to you ;)

There's a switch high up that will ring the bell for the ship to come in

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Uthread said:
Heide's Tower, Huntsman Copse, Shaded Woods Drangleic Castle. . .

All have exactly one way in and one way out. Heide's you access through Majula, Huntsmans same, Shaded from Huntsmans and Drangleic castle from Shaded. There is no route to access any of those areas, nor do they double back to previous areas. this map pretty clearly demonstates that.

LurkerPrime said:
In Dark Souls 2 there is not a set, linear progression of levels.

I already said that the game is strictly non-linear in the way in which players tackle the bosses. It's entirely possible that a player chooses to do Heides first, and Forest of Fallen Giants at some alternate time (unlikely though). That's not what the complaint was about. The complaint was about the physical layout of the map which isn't even close to being on the same level of the previous effort.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fuuuuckkk the adds for NG+ Flexile Sentry.

Fuck them in their stupid poison/bleed inflicting asses.

8952979563_b5206106ce_o.gif

I must have kille those bastards 30 times while trying to stay alive long enough to pick up their drops before the sentry killed me. They drop the shadow(ninja) occasionally. I wanted the chest piece so of course it was the last piece to drop. Got their mask, gloves, leggings and dagger.

Uthred

All have exactly one way in and one way out. Heide's you access through Majula, Huntsmans same, Shaded from Huntsmans and Drangleic castle from Shaded. There is no route to access any of those areas, nor do they double back to previous areas. this map pretty clearly demonstates that.

Technically all of those area have more than one way in and out. Heides connects to the Cathedral and No Mans Wharf (and Majula), Huntsmans Copse connects to Harvest Valley and Undead Purgatory (and Majula), Shaded Woods connects to Doors of Pharos, Shrine of Winter and Aldias Keep (and Majula), Drangleic connects to the throne and the shrine. But yeah I see what you mean about them not looping back on themselves, its much more in the vein of DeS's hub area.

The complaint was about the physical layout of the map which isn't even close to being on the same level of the previous effort.

This seems to assume that theres some inherent positive value in an interconnected world. Once the levels themselves are fine Im not sure how much value the connections between them add. It can help to give an overall sense of place but given the mutable nature of time and space in the setting this might not have been something the designers wanted.

Personally, I feel like the level design is much improved over the first game thanks to From not having to find ways to connect each area. Exploration is much more fun this time around.

Also, I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't place my summon sign. Come on Valve :|

I thought it was really hit or miss. If you are just starting out I can see why you say that because most of the great stand alone levels are in the first half of the game. There were only 2 area's that I felt had top notch level design.
Forest of Fallen Giants and Lost Bastille
. A handful of area's with good level design, like
Earthen Peak, Drangleic Castle and No Man's Wharf.
With everything else more-or-less a straight shot through with out much thought in the level layout or exploration beyond minor side alcove's with items.

Speaking of the world layout, did anyone see the thread a while back on the world collision map?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806139&highlight=dark+souls+map+collision

Someone put it together and the world layout doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A lot of area's are literally going right through each other if you tried to construct the world.

Zeliard

Some of the NG+ remixes can be pretty harsh, most notably
Lost Sinner, which adds 2 pyromancers you have to deal with, and the Drangleic Castle throne room, which has you fighting two buffed up Pursuers simultaneously.

I consider the latter the toughest fight in the entire game, even over
AD

Lost Sinner, which adds 2 pyromancers you have to deal with, and the Drangleic Castle throne room, which has you fighting two buffed up Pursuers simultaneously.

AD

The throne room fight may be the hardest fight in the series. I will probably never beat that solo in my lifetime so I'm not even going to try, but someone put together a great video of it that will make you feel inadequate

DukeBobby

Drangleic Castle throne room, which has you fighting two buffed up Pursuers simultaneously.

AD

Oh, I wondered why that room was empty despite seeing so many bloodstains.

Ugh, I'm nearly at that point in NG+.

I must have kille those bastards 30 times while trying to stay alive long enough to pick up their drops before the sentry killed me. They drop the shadow(ninja) occasionally. I wanted the chest piece so of course it was the last piece to drop. Got their mask, gloves, leggings and dagger.

Yeah, I too rock the Shadow Top. Had to restart my character to get it because they gave me the whole damn set but the top and stopped dropping items.

ugoo18

AD

0_0 holy shit
2 Pursuers
...... I haven't killed the one in
Smelter's room
yet because my previous attempts to mess around with spells and see how useful they are nearly got me killed.

2 of them in + the boss

Damm :/

Gazoinks

As a Mage, I'm kind of disappointed in all the cool new sorceries. All the ones I've tried (Soul Shower, Soul Greatsword, Soul Vortex, Soul Bolt, Soul Spear Barrage) are really situational and don't seem to do enough damage to make it worth it when I could just hit someone with a Soul Spear, cast a Soul Mass spell, or whack them in the face with my MLGS. Maybe I should try them again now that my Int is higher?

Soul Greatsword probably would've been good if they'd kept the charging system at least. Wonder why they removed that.

The throne room fight may be the hardest fight in the series. I will probably never beat that solo in my lifetime so I'm not even going to try, but someone put together a great video of it that will make you feel inadequate

That is madness.

Oh man, I had forgotten about the (NG+ spoiler)
dual Pursuers
in the castle. I was only able to do it on PS3 due to a bug (I think?)
allowing yourself to get hit by the glowing blue sword attack will make the second Pursuer disappear, then you can go to the bonfire and come back to fight the other one by itself.

I think I'll try it for real next time I play.

DukeBobby

They really need to buff those bosses (at least for NG), they're so easy that any interesting design is pointless.

Yeah, I didn't have trouble with any of the mandatory bosses in this game. They apparently nerfed a few of them, for some reason.

Some of the optional fights are difficult, but overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the bosses.

Grief.exe

Ugh, I wish my 7950 could handle 4k and hold 60fps. Guess I'm just going to have to stick with 1440p again.

4K is a ridiculously high down sample though. You run into diminishing returns quite quickly in that realm.

As a Mage, I'm kind of disappointed in all the cool new sorceries. All the ones I've tried (Soul Shower, Soul Greatsword, Soul Vortex, Soul Bolt, Soul Spear Barrage) are really situational and don't seem to do enough damage to make it worth it when I could just hit someone with a Soul Spear, cast a Soul Mass spell, or whack them in the face with my MLGS. Maybe I should try them again now that my Int is higher?

Soul Greatsword probably would've been good if they'd kept the charging system at least. Wonder why they removed that.

That is madness.

I would love to make a build solely around Soul Great Sword if it were possible.

Booshka

Shadow dagger is insane on a STR build, +10 with 40 STR and Ring of Blades +2 I get 2k+ criticals on pretty much anything.

Gazoinks

I would love to make a build solely around Soul Great Sword if it were possible.

It would be awesome if Soul Greatsword actually functioned as a real greatsword moveset doing combos by repeatedly casting it and the like. As it is, you could probably make a Soul Greatsword character but it'd be pretty boring.

It would be awesome if Soul Greatsword actually functioned as a real greatsword moveset doing combos by repeatedly casting it and the like. As it is, you could probably make a Soul Greatsword character but it'd be pretty boring.

You would need a ton of Amber/Twilight Herbs or Rouge/Crimson Waters since there are so few charges of that spell.

Gazoinks

You would need a ton of Amber/Twilight Herbs or Rouge/Crimson Waters since there are so few charges of that spell.

You know, I've never actually used a spell-restoring item in my mage life in this game. Too used to conservative Dark Souls playing. :p

...also I have a giant sword that shoots explodey lasers.

You know, I've never actually used a spell-restoring item in my mage life in this game. Too used to conservative Dark Souls playing. :p

I hear ya, I used my first Amber Herb today fighting Freja since I had nearly tapped out of spells just clearing the way to the boss chamber. By that point in the game you have so many spells to cycle through the number of charges is rarely a consideration.

1. I've changed my opinion on the best armor in DS2. King's Armor is by the best looking.

2. Mastodon Halberd is op (for pve atleast). 420 damage, A strength scaling, sweet spot extra damage, good range, excellent aoe potential and probably the best r2 for pve in the game. Only thing it's missing is strike damage but just carry a large club around as a backup weapon.

3. This is probably the best week in gaming news for me this year. Feel bad for non ps4 owners, project beast so hype. Too bad it will probably be 30 fps target.

elfinke

80hours gone by (a fair bit of idling in amongst that), game defeated. SL137.

Started as a sword swinging, club smashing melee only character (until SL120-ish, swinging all sorts of things with 50STR): finished as a MLGS + spells Sorc (took several respecs to get it right, and I still don't think I've got it just right - hexes look like too much fun to be missing out on). PewPew made the end game very manageable, and in the end, quite fun. Melee only was doing my head in against all of the one hit wonder end game boss attacks.

Farmed a bunch of bonus spells (ascetic was a genius addition), and now thinking of finally joining a covenant for some PvP. Thinking I'll jump in on the BellBros, get me some chunks.

I enjoyed this more than Dark Souls 1, brutal difficulty spikes and all. Just fantastic. I'll get some PvP in, then jump into NG+ for realsies. Seems like there must be a bunch of action there, not that I was ever lacking for some anyway!

Zeliard

1. I've changed my opinion on the best armor in DS2. King's Armor is by the best looking.

I never see anyone mention Llewellyn armor except me.

Do you guys just not KNOW?

Or is it really that hard to get? My first playthrough on PS3 I got all three pieces without even knowing it was a thing you should go for, and on PC I managed to farm it without a big deal.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

nbthedude

Technically all of those area have more than one way in and out. Heides connects to the Cathedral and No Mans Wharf (and Majula), Huntsmans Copse connects to Harvest Valley and Undead Purgatory (and Majula), Shaded Woods connects to Doors of Pharos, Shrine of Winter and Aldias Keep (and Majula), Drangleic connects to the throne and the shrine. But yeah I see what you mean about them not looping back on themselves, its much more in the vein of DeS's hub area.

This seems to assume that theres some inherent positive value in an interconnected world. Once the levels themselves are fine Im not sure how much value the connections between them add. It can help to give an overall sense of place but given the mutable nature of time and space in the setting this might not have been something the designers wanted.
Agreed. I like both approaches. There are more cool moments of realizing the interconnectedness. But the strength of Dark Souls 2 sprawling design is that they can make the areas individually a lot more expansive and as a result the world feels more like a world rather than DS1's metaphor for a world that is tightly compacted.

I think overall I actually prefer the scope of 2 overall. Also that brilliant interconnectedness still exists, it just occurs alot more often within the massive areas. Dark Souls 1 had a lot of areas that were tiny and didnt have room to breath because of the intercinnected spaces--Valley of Drakes, Undead Chapel, Dukes Archives, Crystal Caves, are all examples of areas that could have benefitted from DS2's more sprawling design. It allows areas come into their own.

I never see anyone mention Llewellyn armor except me.

Do you guys just not KNOW?

Or is it really that hard to get? My first playthrough on PS3 I got all three pieces without even knowing it was a thing you should go for, and on PC I managed to farm it without a big deal.

Maybe I'm just lucky!
It's the best. I needed a damn bonfire ascetic to get the chest piece though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom