• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I never see anyone mention Llewellyn armor except me.

Do you guys just not KNOW?

Or is it really that hard to get? My first playthrough on PS3 I got all three pieces without even knowing it was a thing you should go for, and on PC I managed to farm it without a big deal.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

I'm rocking it after your recommendation.

Im always on the look out for cool STR weapons.

Any thoughts on the King's UGS, Black Knight GS, and Pursuers GS?

In general most boss weapons are just kind of meh.

If you are quality build with some Dex, the Curved Dragon Greatsword is pretty bad ass. It has S scaling in Dex while still requiring I think 30 Str. Generally, fast attack speed (for a Greatsword) and a special Heavy Attack

EDIT: Just checked the Wiki, the King's UGS goes to S scaling in Str when fully upgraded. If it has a moveset you like, might be worth a look-see.

Or is it really that hard to get? My first playthrough on PS3 I got all three pieces without even knowing it was a thing you should go for, and on PC I managed to farm it without a big deal.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

It's my favorite armor in the series. And I've seen a lot of phantoms wearing it, so I'm going to assume I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

Looks slick, I'll farm it when I get there. What head piece are folks wearing with it since it doesn't have one in the set. I heard that the Drangleic helm used to be the helm of this set earlier in development.

Damn, Twinkling upgrade for that.

Risible

Just met my first hacker as a Bellbro :(. I engage him and as usual I circle a bit and get a feel for the guy and I'm thinking "This guy seems clueless, this will be fast." Backstab....no damage. I'm like "Huh." Then another Bellbro joins and we take turns hacking him and backstabbing him. Nothing, no effect.

The sad part is the guy couldn't take damage and had infinite endurance and he barely touched us. We both finally timed out after 5 minutes.

Reported the shit out of him.

Zeliard

Looks slick, I'll farm it when I get there. What head piece are folks wearing with it since it doesn't have one in the set. I heard that the Drangleic helm used to be the helm of this set earlier in development.

I think it looks really awesome without a headpiece at all, but as far as ones that fit well with it -
Executioner Helm, Vendrick's Crown, and Drangleic Helm
are each good fits. I like the crown myself, personally, but I often use it without a helm at all.

Agreed. I like both approaches. There are more cool moments of realizing the interconnectedness. But the strength of Dark Souls 2 sprawling design is that they can make the areas individually a lot more expansive and as a result the world feels more like a world rather than DS1's metaphor for a world that is tightly compacted.

I think overall I actually prefer the scope of 2 overall. Also that brilliant interconnectedness still exists, it just occurs alot more often within the massive areas. Dark Souls 1 had a lot of areas that were tiny and didnt have room to breath because of the intercinnected spaces--Valley of Drakes, Undead Chapel, Dukes Archives, Crystal Caves, are all examples of areas that could have benefitted from DS2's more sprawling design. It allows areas come into their own.

I'm not sure what interconnectedness you're referring to with Dark Souls 2. Yes, certain areas link up along a particular spoke, but that hardly seems "brilliant" when compared to the shortcut to Blighttown, for example. And it's not like the areas in Dark Souls 2 are especially large. Oolacile Township might be larger than anything in Dark Souls 2 short of Lost Bastille. Among the "tiny" areas you cite, Duke's Archive is every bit as big as the areas in the back quarter of Dark Souls 2; Undead Chapel isn't really an independent area so much as a landmark in the Burg; and Valley of the Drakes is obviously meant to be more of a crossing grounds than a standard area.

Forkball

I'm going strength build but have been leveling out dex to help scaling. I have 40 STR and 29 DEX. Should I try to even it out or bring my strength up to 50?

Gvaz

Banned
I've just about beaten everything i can in NG and I'm at about 3m soul memory. lovely

also is the only way to get tichy's armor from killing him?

Riposte

Do messages block your ability to open hidden doors?

Can humanoid bosses be parried this time?

Also I don't feel this game is easier so far as a no shield/no magic/no range/1 hander compared to Dark Souls. I really feel the roll nerf.

I'm going strength build but have been leveling out dex to help scaling. I have 40 STR and 29 DEX. Should I try to even it out or bring my strength up to 50?

Scaling is weak in this game. There is not much of an advantage in raising STR or DEX beyond the minimum requirements to use a particular weapon.

Sober

Do messages block your ability to open hidden doors?

Can humanoid bosses be parried this time?

Also I don't feel this game is easier so far as a no shield/no magic/no range/1 hander compared to Dark Souls. I really feel the roll nerf.
Opening hidden doors takes priority over messages. Those people are trolling.

There are few bosses you can parry. You just have to find out.

Roll nerf exists so you can sink points into ADP and/or ATN to get agility so you can have more iframes, that's about it. After that you can stop rolling away and start rolling towards attacks again.

I'm mostly surprised there are so few 100% shields. I've only run into 2 or 3.

I finally got the elite knight armor.

I loved it in Dark Souls and wanted to get it as quickly as I could in this game.

I searched every area I went through thoroughly.

Finally after many hours playing I decided to look up where to find it because I really wanted it.

It turns out the merchant in Majula sells it after you spend enough souls at his shop.

He didn't have anything I wanted so I never bought anything from him. :/

2AdEPT

You're wrong. You only get a Giant's Soul for killing him

Ok I could be "wrong", so its not a pre-requisite to kill him, just talk to get the dragon soul in the memory? I did not want to leave any bosses standing regardless, but I assumed I had to kill him so that the memory would have the soul, which in turn is traded for the
curved dragon sword.
I know you at least have to talk to him for the memory to appear no?

I finally got the elite knight armor.

I loved it in Dark Souls and wanted to get it as quickly as I could in this game.

I searched every area I went through thoroughly.

Finally after many hours playing I decided to look up where to find it because I really wanted it.

It turns out the merchant in Majula sells it after you spend enough souls at his shop.

He didn't have anything I wanted so I never bought anything from him. :/

He sells Boss armor after you've defeated them, and there are some fun sets to be had there.

Spoilers? Not sure if I should tag, but I'm curious about something in Licia of Lindeldt's dialogue...

When you invade her with cracked eye orb, she says:
Curses.. Puzzled me out have you?
[evil chuckle] At least now i can finish you off; guilt free!

Puzzled her out? Is she not who she said she was? Or did she just want to kill you and take your souls for some reason?

I'm really curious about what kind of meaning could be behind those words... but the wiki I checked didn't really have anything to say about it.

the shy dude in the house? o_O

He's not so shy after you spend a bit of souls with him. :lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
had no idea, cool. what about the mansion, I assume something will happen there? the map on the floor keeps getting more little fires

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cale will give you his gear if you talk to him after lighting all the fires on the map.

not that useful for my tanky lady but cool to know.

speaking of my tanky lady, I kinda hate that I backed myself into a corner with the build, there is no reason not to use
Havel's
. my second character in DS1 was a dex/pyro and I pretty much used whatever I wanted really.

not that useful for my tanky lady but cool to know.

speaking of my tanky lady, I kinda hate that I backed myself into a corner with the build, there is no reason not to use
Havel's
. my second character in DS1 was a dex/pyro and I pretty much used whatever I wanted really.

Oh, you will still want Cales gear, for something else.

Altazor

I reached
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
today, been having some great time. I think, after playing DS1, I find this one a bit easier/more streamlined. Still enjoyable (and frustrating), in any case.

Except for the fucking
spiders. GOD DAMMIT FROM, WHY. I'm a fucking arachnophobe and I've got to fight a huge-ass spider boss? Fuck this shit.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a wuss, it seems.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Starting my Akuma/Gouki build, Caestus only + pyromancies for Hadoukens :)
iemtBbi.jpg

Grief.exe

End-game spoilers question.

I'm at the throne of want with the Giant Lord Soul. Is this the point of no return, or can I venture back after beating these bosses?

ugoo18

Does the Mirror Shield actually reflect spells?

I've got it currently and i think it reflected a spell once but i have no idea what i did to cause that.

Levyne

Banned

I'm at the throne of want with the Giant Lord Soul. Is this the point of no return, or can I venture back after beating these bosses?

You won't automatically be thrown into NG+, you decide that at the Majula Bonfire. So you're free to hang around and do other things.

NG+ is initiated at Majula Bonfire. You can finish up all unnecessary business before going on.

EDIT: Beaten

Cerity

Damn, having your message rated during a bossfight can get annoying. Had 5 in a row while fighting Mytha, not a hard one but still draws your attention away.

Also, figured this was a cool shot.

Altazor

God the area after the smelter demon is such a but hole

I must've died dozens of times trying to reach the area's final boss (and, of course, dying TO the area boss) and dreading that whole part again, until I discovered
that there was a ladder leading to a bonfire in the room before the area with the fog gate
. I felt so goddamn stupid.

Damn, having your message rated during a bossfight can get annoying. Had 5 in a row while fighting Mytha, not a hard one but still draws your attention away.

You do know that getting your message rated heals a small part of your health bar? If you got rated when you're health was low, you practically got free health.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
2 quick questions

1.) By how much does 2-handing a weapon lower the Strength requirement? Or does it even at all?

2.)
After getting the King's Ring, can you just proceed from there back to the Castle to the Throne of Want and finish the game? Or do you HAVE to go to where the dragons are and then get in the Giant memories?

You do know that getting your message rated heals a small part of your health bar? If you got rated when you're health was low, you practically got free health.

I still think they need to change the notification. It is just too intrusive. Should just be an icon in the corner flashing like when it Saves and you see the little flame.

2 quick questions

1.) By how much does 2-handing a weapon lower the Strength requirement? Or does it even at all?

2.)
After getting the King's Ring, can you just proceed from there back to the Castle to the Throne of Want and finish the game? Or do you HAVE to go to where the dragons are and then get in the Giant memories?

1. 2-Handing allows you to effectively wield it at 50% of the Strength requirement.
You can go there, but the final boss won't appear until you possess a certain item from the memories

Varna

Scaling is weak in this game. There is not much of an advantage in raising STR or DEX beyond the minimum requirements to use a particular weapon.

This game? These guys did not learn a damn thing from Dark Souls balancing issues. Once again STR/DEX are only to meet requirements and you are much better off with some kind of elemental/magic weapon.

This is a really good port. So it's always a bit hilarious when you run into the occasional terrible texture. Like the elevator leading to
Iron keep
. That thing is straight out of Doom.

Area in general seems pretty damn brutal. Heavily armored foes that attack incredibly fast, archers everywhere... soo many places you can fall AND lava?

I still think they need to change the notification. It is just too intrusive. Should just be an icon in the corner flashing like when it Saves and you see the little flame.

I guess that's fair, it can get a little annoying when you're focusing on a tough enemy or boss.

2 quick questions

2.)

1. It reduces it by half. So if it's say 35, it becomes 17 or 18.

Yeah, you have to go to the dragon shrine, then memories, then the final boss. At least, that's the case for NG, not sure for NG+.

This game? These guys did not learn a damn thing from Dark Souls balancing issues. Once again STR/DEX are only to meet requirements and you are much better off with some kind of elemental/magic weapon.

This is a really good port. So it's always a bit hilarious when you run into the occasional terrible texture. Like the elevator leading to
Iron keep
. That thing is straight out of Doom.

I've always preferred a weapon that scales well with pure dex or strength.

Grief.exe

2 quick questions

2.)

1. Lowers the STR req by half.

2. The Latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom