• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varna

I've always preferred a weapon that scales well with pure dex or strength.

So do I. From a role-playing perspective I will totally play a pure DEX/STR character. Let's not fool ourselves though. There is absolutely no advantage to it but there are a lot of downsides.

def sim

I finished my first playthrough! That was a lot of fun, I'll probably be doing that again later in the year. It was interesting to play a more social Dark Souls game. Helping people out is very satisfying.

Mohonky

Just started playing this today. Have no idea whats going on. Its a bit infuriating in that I have items I have no idea how to use, they are just sitting in my inventory. Playing as a Knight and picked up a dagger and apparently I cant use it or switch to it so now I only have a broken sword :/ no idea how to save either.

Gameplay seems kind of jankt but I am assuming you get used to it because the high praise heaped on this game despite the ordinary visuals and janky combat system must come together some how as I arent really seeing it. Only just got out of the cave. Saw a bunch of messages to praise the sun but I only see things like Bow in the gestures.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The mere thought of having to go through Shrine of "You thought FROM learned something from 5-2, Blighttown and Lost Izalith" Amana, AGAIN, is stopping me from wanting to finish ng+.
Damn that place. Damn it forever.

bbd23

thank you GAF. Knight was def the way to go. I must have played for like 2 hours straight just farming souls and shit xD. game is really tense. can't wait to play some more in the morning.

Grief.exe

The mere thought of having to go through Shrine of "You thought FROM learned something from 5-2, Blighttown and Lost Izalith" Amana, AGAIN, is stopping me from wanting to finish ng+.

Haven't played it on NG+, but a bow really helped with that place.

Snipe those damn casters.

Gazoinks

I made the discovery that it's really not hard at all to run past most of the annoying enemies in that level if you weave around the Soul Arrows. Definitely one of the weaker areas so far though.

I made the discovery that it's really not hard at all to run past most of the annoying enemies in that level if you weave around the Soul Arrows. Definitely one of the weaker areas so far though.

Weaving around the soul arrows is the difficult part though. Coupled with the high water, and the fact that rolling will extinguish your torch if you're using it easily makes it one of the worst areas in the game.

elfinke

Oh man, BellBros are everywhere at SL130. I haven't been summoned yet, but invasions are almost instantaneous. Been blowing suckas up with SS and MLGS R2 attack. So damn satisfying.

Gazoinks

So I just discovered the Blue Flame, it's pretty cool! Kind of want to rejigger my build a bit and try dualwielding them, is viable?

EDIT: Nevermind, got another.

Grief.exe

This dude looks like the fucking Predator

iVzJHVe1yr3jc.png

Varna

Blighttown is great. Don't even compare it to that piece of shit.

Dresden

So I just discovered the Blue Flame, it's pretty cool! Kind of want to rejigger my build a bit and try dualwielding them, is viable? I think I might've destroyed all of the spawners the enemy that drops it respawns from though, I'd need another. Are there more further in from the group of 5
past the hall with the ghosts in the walls and the giant shield dudes
?

You can dual wield them (and buff both blades with CMW), but it's not really practical. Bad range and the moveset within and without powerstance is mediocre.

DJ_Lae

Making progress. Completed the (ugh) Shrine of Amana and am on the boss of the next area (after beating the Shrine's boss without even getting hit once, I think, what a pushover).

I'm thinking I need to change my weapon up a bit, it feels really slow after swapping to a greatsword to break stuff. But I also enjoy it, and played through the majority of the first Dark Souls with it too.

iKitRvJm8RLFF.jpg

ugoo18

Blighttown was pretty sweet (For the PC version anyway) and Lost Izalith was pretty good as well (Apart from the overly bright lava).

Amana on the other hand is the one level where i stopped having fun playing DS2 so far because of those casters (Specifically the ones after the 2nd bonfire and before the fog door) and also the level i learned that my game isn't upto date. Next time i'm stocking arrows and sniping everything if i have to.

This dude looks like the fucking Predator

Yeah, that's the Mad Warrior armor set and double Berserker Blades.

Must spent a while farming up that stuff or gotten lucky, you have an infinite amount to tries to farm that gear but it has a low drop rate making it a PITA to get the whole thing.

LiK

Yeah. If you get a bow it's easy to go through that level. However, you can't run through the level which is quite annoying.

Amana was definitely made to fuck with run backs and speedrunners. personally, i liked that area. i just hated the stupid beetles with the acid clouds.

Yeah, that's the Mad Warrior armor set and double Berserker Blades.

Must spent a while farming up that stuff or gotten lucky, you have an infinite amount to tries to farm that gear but it has a low drop rate making it a PITA to get the whole thing.

Mad Warrior set isn't too hard. Only took me less than 3 hours to get the full set including weapon. Just stack item discovery gear and ring for better chances. His random spawns are annoying tho.

2AdEPT

HELP! I want to start recording my PC version stuff using my avermedia PCI card and I have two 1440P korean monitors. I was able to get the second one as an "ad board:" type so that I could hook up the avermedia card correctly as it requires HDMI to do 1080 P. I had to use the DVI-D adapter to get the hdmi going....and it works!

PROBLEM though....I can force the monitor that is hooked up to the hdmi and avermedia set up to go 1080P by custokminzing in the nvida control panel, but for some reason Dark souls 2 doesn't recognize this and only gives me an option for 1050 p which means a smaller black border screen....not good for my "professional" videos.

I remember seeing that someone in this thread mentioned something about a fix for hdmi users...but I cant find it for the life me. Does this fix exist? and if so where?

thanks for the help.

Uthred

I thought Amana looked cool and the casters were only really an issue the first time they catch you by surprise, after that judicious application of a bow (one of the few times I used one) mixed with rushing took care of them.

When comparing weapons a) does the damage number on the far right take into account stat scaling and b) is spell damage a function of weapon damage? Ive a catalyst with much worse scaling but a higher base lightning damage pumpig out more damage overall, so scaling is basically balls for magic as well as melee weapons?

I've been having an issue lately and I'd appreciate it if somebody can help.

Apparently, I can't go into other people's worlds. I can get invaded fine ( have gotten invaded a bunch of times in the belfry) and I can summon other people, but whenever I try to invade someone, or drop a summon sign and try to get summoned, the game spends 2 minutes in a loading screen, and it says " the multiplayer session has disconnected" or something along those lines.

This was never a problem in Dark Souls 1, despite GFWL and the whole network being P2P based.

I don't use a router ,but I still opened up a few ports, made no difference. I can connect to the server perfectly fine and every other MP game works perfectly.

EDIT: Just tried using a Cracked Blue eye orb, and it's been in the loading screen for 5 minutes now, even though I can see that there are packets of data constantly being sent online and I have no other online app running.

Levyne

Banned
I feel like a greater percentage of enemies and bosses in this game are more "Humanoid" instead of "Monster" and that's a little disappointing to me :(

But I also could be misremembering. Demon's Souls, to my memory, seemed to have a lot more monster variety though. You fight so many variants of "Zombie" "Giant Zombie" or "Knight" in this one..

LiK

I feel like a greater percentage of enemies and bosses in this game are more "Humanoid" instead of "Monster" and that's a little disappointing to me :(

But I also could be remembering. Demon's Souls, to my memory, seemed to have a lot more monster variety though. You fight so many variants of "Zombie" "Giant Zombie" or "Knight" in this one..

People say that but I don't really see a huge difference if we listed all the different types of enemies out.

But I also could be remembering. Demon's Souls, to my memory, seemed to have a lot more monster variety though. You fight so many variants of "Zombie" "Giant Zombie" or "Knight" in this one..

Absolutely, and I think DS2 has the weakest pool of bosses in the Souls franchise. There are certainly several that stick out at the top, but on the whole, they are mostly forgettable and I don't think any of them are as good as the top tier bosses DeS or DS1.

Levyne

Banned
Oops, I meant to say "misremembering".

Yeah, I guess I'll have to pull up some bestiaries and see to what extent that impression is actually true.

Mad Warrior set isn't too hard. Only took me less than 3 hours to get the full set including weapon. Just stack item discovery gear and ring for better chances. His random spawns are annoying tho.

Did you farm it offline? Seems like it's tedious enough as it is that adding Bellbro's to the mix would be frustrating.

LiK

Did you farm it offline? Seems like it's tedious enough as it is that adding Bellbro's to the mix would be frustrating.

Yup, offline. It's not that bad. I simply listened to a podcast and farmed him. He was easy. I was going for the Hidden Magic spell and just happened to get all his gear without even wanting it.

Levyne

Banned
Yup, offline. It's not that bad. I simply listened to a podcast and farmed him. He was easy. I was going for the Hidden Magic spell and just happened to get all his gear without even wanting it.

Oh. I actually need this spell too. I guess going off line is the way to do it, huh.

Does he have a chance of spawning every time you use the bonfire or do you have to transport away and back?

LiK

Oh. I actually need this spell too. I guess going off line is the way to do it, huh.

Does he have a chance of spawning every time you use the bonfire or do you have to transport away and back?

Nope, he's random but you do need to get to a bonfire to refresh a chance for him to spawn. You might get him 3-5 times in a row or vice-versa. But the run back and climbing stairs isn't too much of an issue. Took me around 4 hours to get to a rank 2. It's a lot quicker than fighting Bellbros, imo.

Uthred

Oops, I meant to say "misremembering".

Yeah, I guess I'll have to pull up some bestiaries and see to what extent that impression is actually true.

You are mis-remembering, including bosses Demon Souls had around 70 enemy types, Dark Souls had around 117 and Dark Souls 2 has around 150. All of them are about equally guilty of doing the whole, Enemy X, Enemy X with bow, Enemey X with shield, etc. Though Dark Souls seems to be the biggest offender there.

I think the number of bosses in Dark Souls 2 sort of worked against it, the sheer number took the gloss of the better (either in terms of visual impact or mechanics) ones, I suppose if you count only bosses with an "intro" as "proper" bosses and the other as mid-bosses it looks a bit better.

Oh cool, I didn't even think of that. I heard someone say that if you equip the Delicate String it will increase his spawn rate. Don't know if that's true or just gave someone a placebo.

Also, wonder if it's faster to warp back to bonfire than run back. PC load times are so fast. It may not save much, but even 5 - 10 seconds helps when you do this so many times.

KarmaCow

After sucking it up and going back to finish off A
ncient Dragon
I think I'm done with my first playthrough. Before I go to new game+, is there anything I should be looking out for, mainly in terms of good gear from obscure places like hidden rooms or drops off enemies. I don't plan on maxing out the PvP convenants so I'm going to
wait till ng++ to get all the remaining spells from the Chancellor

LiK

Oh cool, I didn't even think of that. I heard someone say that if you equip the Delicate String it will increase his spawn rate. Don't know if that's true or just gave someone a placebo.

Also, wonder if it's faster to warp back to bonfire than run back. PC load times are so fast. It may not save much, but even 5 - 10 seconds helps when you do this so many times.

Not sure about Delicate String theory but yea, PC loading is faster. but you might use up your homeward bones ( unless you have the homeward miracle or another item). But the trek back and forth is short enough that I didn't need to bother warping.

Levyne

Banned
You are mis-remembering, including bosses Demon Souls had around 70 enemy types, Dark Souls had around 117 and Dark Souls 2 has around 150. All of them are about equally guilty of doing the whole, Enemy X, Enemy X with bow, Enemey X with shield, etc. Though Dark Souls seems to be the biggest offender there.

I think the number of bosses in Dark Souls 2 sort of worked against it, the sheer number took the gloss of the better (either in terms of visual impact or mechanics) ones, I suppose if you count only bosses with an "intro" as "proper" bosses and the other as mid-bosses it looks a bit better.

I don't mean pure number of enemy types, I mean what percentage of the total are slimes, spiders, mantas, leeches, rats, etc. Non-humanoid.

It's not a big deal and I don't want to dwell on it. I'm just thinking random things late at night.

Uthred

I don't mean pure number of enemy types, I mean what percentage of the total are slimes, spiders, mantas, leeches, rats, etc. Non-humanoid.

It's not a big deal and I don't want to dwell on it. I'm just thinking random things late at night.

Ah right, well quickly eyeballing the three bestiaries, which just list type so it doesnt really say how frequently they came up in game (and not including bosses), Demon Souls had ~15%, Dark Souls ~20% and Dark Souls 2 ~12%. No idea about actual frequency in game, but it does feel like in Demon Souls particularly you fought a lot of non humanoid ordinary enmies.

Kyou

I must've died dozens of times trying to reach the area's final boss (and, of course, dying TO the area boss) and dreading that whole part again, until I discovered
that there was a ladder leading to a bonfire in the room before the area with the fog gate
. I felt so goddamn stupid.
WHAT oh man

JimPanzer

It's one of the PVP spots

Join #TeamBell, brah - slay some fools, it's super fun

I just realized you can stay at the bonfire and don't have to enter the tower to get summoned - I always got invaded by two phantoms before I could invade another world.

crun

Banned
Can u make a shortcut and launch DS2 with GeDoSaTo enabled? (and disable it after quitting the game, would be best)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom