• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap Iron Keep. Is there even a second bonfire? By god this place is so annoying.

Levyne

Banned
3 medals away, still just letting myself be summoned for the final boss fight (or fights).

How do you get one shot by the throne watcher. Cmon!

It's so weird to be playing this game and not have a clue what makes for a good build after having absorbed so much information on the first game. Sitting here looking to make either a mage or hex build and I realized that I haven't the foggiest idea what to do for either of them. The whole weapon infusion stuff kind of eludes me right now too.

So glad that they added respecing so I don't have to run through NG like 20 times over to try different builds out. While there's definitely something enjoyable of knowing what gear you want and rushing through the game in a very specific way to get it as fast as possible, at a certain point that starts to get a little old and I'd rather just be doing higher difficulty runs through the game than playing NG yet again.

Dr Dogg

Well I seam to have stumbled upon Dark Souls II's character trait rift. Whilst even one in Demon Souls seemed to have a habit of getting themselves stuck or locked up and Dark Souls everyone had a penchant for maniacal laughter, in II either everyone seems to have
a sudden bout of amnesia (well that or a hang over)

Plus I've developed a sudden sense of the "I might need it later" syndrome and have been stockpiling consumables which could have come in bloody had before a silly death.

A few mechanical tweaks have got me on one hand on my toes like getting all my stamina drained and just standing there waiting to be clobbered to another like the jump on the stick running around like a madman trying to jump at everything.

Runs incredibly smooth though.

holy fuck i hate the
gutter
and level after (forget the name). all these piece of shit
poison statutes

The Gutter isn't even tough. Just easy to get lost.

The area after (Black Gulch) is easy once you learn that the statues only respawn if you die or warp to a different area. And the tar monsters aren't too hard to manage one at a time. A dumb area but not too awful.

elfinke

So, out of curiosity, I'm not the only one who really loved The Gutter, right? Heck, I wish it was a little longer.

Off the top of my head, Amana was the only area I didn't enjoy. Which is a shame, as it is real looker. I was at my wits end with my original character by then, though. Had zero trouble once I had some form of range, and consequently enjoyed it much more.

To answer your question more directly, you're not the only one. Neat area witha subtle twist on who or what your enemies are.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So, out of curiosity, I'm not the only one who really loved The Gutter, right? Heck, I wish it was a little longer.

I hated it the first time through. Second playthrough wasn't so bad since I actually knew where to go and now I feel like doing some exploring in the area.

JimPanzer

worth going for 10 ATTN and some faith for melee buffs like magic barrier and magic weapon? how many points should I drop in faith?

dreamfall

I just had a thrilling fight with
The Looking Glass Knight. I haven't been big on the bosses this time around, but it was a really neat concept! I barely made it out on the 5th try, but it was rad. I needed some stronger shield to block more effectively, and kept attacking with lightning and my katana! Sheeeesh. It was a lot of fun!

I'm not really sure how I feel about Drangleic Castle. I was having some trouble getting by some of the knights, but I don't really like the door opening mechanic. Having to kill someone to activate the statue felt a bit much. I ended up opening so many doors with Ruin sentinels, and just farmed souls until they disappeared one by one. It's really pretty, but some of the enemy placement made it feel surprisingly claustrophobic.

On and on we go!

Booshka

worth going for 10 ATTN and some faith for melee buffs like magic barrier and magic weapon? how many points should I drop in faith?

leave your ATTN at base stats and just use the ring that gives you a slot, then 2 and 3 on the upgraded versions of the ring. a lot of spells dont rely on casting speed or faith/int scaling to do the full benefit of the spell, so just min/max as hard as possible and use spices to knock down the spells you want to use.

That way you can still stay mostly melee with high VGR, END, ADP, STR or DEX and VIT if you need it.

By high dex I mean min requirements btw, dex scaling is bad, so don't level it for scaling, just level it for the min req to use the weapon.

JimPanzer

leave your ATTN at base stats and just use the ring that gives you a slot, then 2 and 3 on the upgraded versions of the ring. a lot of spells dont rely on casting speed or faith/int scaling to do the full benefit of the spell, so just min/max as hard as possible and use spices to knock down the spells you want to use.

That way you can still stay mostly melee with high VGR, END, ADP, STR or DEX and VIT if you need it.

By high dex I mean min requirements btw, dex scaling is bad, so don't level it for scaling, just level it for the min req to use the weapon.

thanks! how do I use the spices? the use option is always greyed out

Braag

So I joined the Company of Champions, the first covenant I believe available in Majula. I had no idea what were the pros or cons of joining them but I just did for the heck of it,
I've been playing for a while now, I'm currently at the Soldier's Rest (In the forest ruins).
Later I was talking with a friend of mine about how DS2 feels harder to me compared to DS1 at least this early on. Our conversation lead to covenants and he started talking about how Company of Champions makes the game harder... WTF. I had no idea. I checked the wikia and apparently it's true. Now I need to figure out how to leave this covenant.
I remember when joining them it kept promoting a bunch of messages and I just pressed A to pass them all. I have a feeling they were trying to inform me about the increased difficulty.
I'm so stupid sometimes >_>

Forkball

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY I BEAT SMELTER DEMON. I basically suicided that last part, he had a little left and he nearly killed me a second before, it came down to who could land one more hit.

ijed

Anyone else had a head come off a boss?

tumblr_n4zpnaKvX81sw1cpuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4zpnaKvX81sw1cpuo2_1280.jpg

I kicked it down to the bonfire thinking
Vengarl
might have liked it.... He didn't :(

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Can you still chop off body parts from bosses and get bonus stuff like the first game?

Only one I found so far was a Pharros Lockstone that I got by
chopping off the Rotten's arm

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Cheesing the chariot never felt so rewarding !!!

Kill second necromancer, equip powerful bow with poison arrows and go to town from cover each time he makes a pass, never have to fight the horse except for the finishing blow when he is a 10% health

:)

So I joined the Company of Champions, the first covenant I believe available in Majula. I had no idea what were the pros or cons of joining them but I just did for the heck of it,
I've been playing for a while now, I'm currently at the Soldier's Rest (In the forest ruins).
Later I was talking with a friend of mine about how DS2 feels harder to me compared to DS1 at least this early on. Our conversation lead to covenants and he started talking about how Company of Champions makes the game harder... WTF. I had no idea. I checked the wikia and apparently it's true. Now I need to figure out how to leave this covenant.
I remember when joining them it kept promoting a bunch of messages and I just pressed A to pass them all. I have a feeling they were trying to inform me about the increased difficulty.
My first play was in that covenant too as I was under the impression that all it did was disable summoning. When I heard it made the game harder it just made me more smug. I still think it's the best covenant for a first playthrough, leaving it might make the game feel to easy for you now.

Dr Dogg

Well just beat the first boss.Wooo!

So got a key to the area so went digging around and blimey those tortoise things are deadly. I thought the first one I saw was like a mini boss as it took ages to wear it down. Worked out how to take them in one on one but I just stumbled into a room with 2 of the buggers.

Also seeing as it's release week seeing all the blood stains and the comical reason they are there is a great thing to experience again (and contribute to) but there's summon signs everywhere, in some really silly places too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys... guys... why do I get the feeling that this whole area im doing is optional and NOT the end of the game? >_>

im talking about
dragon shrine

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
try torch, but hole

no, you'll need a thing from there

ah good. this whole area was the second
kings ring door
I tried, the first being a dead end (
the forrest of giants one
) and I havent checked the third one... which was in...err

drangleic castle
I think?

Mistel

Banned
ah good. this whole area was the second
kings ring door
I tried, the first being a dead end (
the forrest of giants one
) and I havent checked the third one... which was in...err

drangleic castle
I think?
You need something from dragon shrine for the dear end you tried.

Durante

In addition to the messages, people in Majula also tell you quite explicitly that it makes stuff harder. I also ignored their sound advice initially :p

I you want to lave, you can e.g. do so
by talking to the cat

Rhaknar

You need something from dragon shrine for the dear end you tried.

the shit that lets you
go in dreams
I keep hearing about? I guess you use that in
all those dead giant statues / trees
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom