• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I don't want to turn my games into work. It's like reverse F2P. Join every covenant and you get 25 cents! No thank you.

I guess that shit adds up, but still. I wish you could disable achievement popups in Steam.

Doesn't have to be work as I will probably earn the majority of them through normal play.

You can turn off the Achievement notification in-game

9drxJmL.jpg

LogicStep

£5.50 for all of the achievements
Bonus £.50 for playing the game on launch
Bonus £1.50 for new users who link their Steam accounts between the 24th-30th

Don't leave that money on the table.

http://blog.playfire.com/2014/04/playfire-rewards-beta-dark-souls-ii.html

Wait so, this works with all games or just games bought from GMG? You get free money for playing games? From what I see it's based on achievements? I've never heard of this but it sounds promising, free money for playing?

Zeliard

Is it safe to say the general consensus from console players is that DS1 > DS2?

I'm okay with that, since it also seems the consensus among most players is that it's still a great game. DS1 is possibly my all time favorite game, so I didn't expect DS2 to exceed it for me. But after ~400 hours in DS1 I'm ready for a new Souls experience, even if it's not quite as good.

DS1 > DS2, but DS1 > almost everything, so it isn't saying too much.

I don't think anyone here should have their hype deflated. It's helpful to remember that people are comparing Dark Souls 2 almost strictly to the previous two Souls game, both of which set an extremely high bar. It's still a Souls game, and still very strong in most respects.

I'm going to have a lot of fun experiencing it again @ 60 fps.

Wait so, this works with all games or just games bought from GMG? You get free money for playing games? From what I see it's based on achievements? I've never heard of this but it sounds promising, free money for playing?
I'd totally start doing this if I could, is it open for US? GMG bought games only? Bought the CE from Namco themselves, would like to know if I'm eligible.

Tiops

Don't lose the hype because of that video. I complain about the game a lot (as I'm a huuuuge fan of the series and just can't ignore some serious flaws) and I agree with 95% of what he says, but it still is an amazing game. Just be prepared to be hit when you shouldn't (broken hitboxes) and get used to enemies spinning and sliding around in stupid ways so you can't get behind them. Those are the biggest gameplay problems.

To me there are also other problems, like inferior OST and level design, but that's a bit subjective.

Grief.exe

I'd totally start doing this if I could, is it open for US? GMG bought games only? Bought the CE from Namco themselves, would like to know if I'm eligible.

It goes off of your games you play through Steam. Does not have a GMG purchase requirement.

This thread should answer all of your questions http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801210

DS1 > DS2, but DS1 > almost everything, so it isn't saying too much.

I don't think anyone here should have their hype deflated. It's helpful to remember that people are comparing Dark Souls 2 almost strictly to the previous two Souls game, both of which set an extremely high bar. It's still a Souls game, and still very strong in most respects.

I'm going to have a lot of fun experiencing it again @ 60 fps.

Cool, good to hear. Even though it sucked to have to wait for the PC release, I've at least got my expectations in check, so I'll be able to just enjoy playing the game without being disappointed that it doesn't exceed DS1.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I'm okay with that, since it also seems the consensus among most players is that it's still a great game. DS1 is possibly my all time favorite game, so I didn't expect DS2 to exceed it for me. But after ~400 hours in DS1 I'm ready for a new Souls experience, even if it's not quite as good.

I would say that for me it is, and like you, I welcomed the fact that DS2 is a different experience in some regards. I never approached DS2 with the attitude that it would overcome Dark Souls for me, just that it would be another addition of awesomeness, albeit one without the same sense of the unknown Dark Souls was. If I were to offer an analogy (and I generally suck at these), I would say its like Metroid games after Super Metroid. Still really, really good overall but there is only one king. This is just for me, mind you. I've seen plenty of gaffers state their preference for DS2 but Dark Souls was the first Souls experience for me and something about that goes a long way, especially since so many of the mechanics carry over.

jimi_dini

I guess most people, who played a lot of DS2 will probably say:
Dark Souls 1 >>>>> Demon's Souls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> most games of last generation.

I'm okay with that, since it also seems the consensus among most players is that it's still a great game.

Well, all sorts of things are not balanced. Summoning doesn't work properly all the time. Bosses are not nearly as epic as DS1 - as in not at all. I miss all the little things like talking to that certain NPC (I don't want to spoil), having my heart broken and knowing that I'm one of the very few players who experienced that and then fulfilling the NPC's wish.

The feel of isolation is gone. In DS1 I felt lost, but it felt good. In DS2 I have bonfire here, bonfire there. You can't really walk a few meters without a bonfire. Then there are bonfires right in front of bosses.

The level design is meh. I mean really. Warping around was probably included, because the level design is so messy.

And then there is real crap like soul memory. Where you as a level 150 character will get invaded by people way more powerful and you won't even do a scratch to their health. I mean there were people, who got to the end of Dark Souls 1 as a level <10 and got way better weapons because of that and were able to troll other players. BUT that's okay. In my opinion those people deserved it. I did beat it as a low level character as well, didn't troll people though. Still that was rare, not common, because it was difficult to do that. Most of the time the level-based matchmaking worked properly.

Yeah, it's surely not bad as in a bad game of the current/last generation. But it's not just a little bit worse than DS1. It's the typical "the graphics are nice, but everything else is worse". The area design also doesn't make sense. In DS1 the world felt as one single world. I could draw a map of it and it would make sense. DS2 feels like several separately designed areas connected by a game designer. Sort of like like what GAF says about Uncharted 3. Not as bad though.

DS1 is possibly my all time favorite game, so I didn't expect DS2 to exceed it for me.

I'm quite sure that it won't. It took me a bit to notice all sorts of issues though and like I said - the graphics are nice. Graphic wise it's probably better than DS1 and of course way better than DeS1, but that's not saying much.

Sullichin

Relative to the first Dark Souls, it's correct. You end up with far more healing items far more easily than in DS1, so while you only start off with one Estus Flask, that isn't really meaningful in the long run when you can effortlessly end up with 99 lifegems that you can just continually spam in every fight if need be. The system is reminiscent of stacking herbs in Demon's Souls.

My first playthrough, I didn't realize that you can get unlimited lifegems if
you talk to the merchant enough for her to move to Majula
. I actually thought the healing systems were balanced perfectly without that early option to buy unlimited gems.

I don't think it's bad now. But it was cool when the beginning of the game had that extra challenge of pretty much just having the one estus flask to work with.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

They do different things. I wouldnt put one on top of the other because Dark Souls as much praise as it gets the last half of the game sucks (Later made tolerable thanks to the great DLC) and there are multiple flaws besides the last half of the game. Dark Souls 2 has its own issues so the mileage might vary but DS2 to me is a big hybrid between Demon Souls and Dark Souls and even King's Field. It feels more like a KF game than Soul games in some areas.

ElFly

Estus healed fast in ds1 too, and it wasn't uncommon or hard to upgrade most bonfires to 15 or 20 of them, particularly those that gave you trouble.

I can see healgems being a little too common but by the end I had to pop twice of them to heal completely. Healgems mostly made poison less dangerous though. Gems should heal way slower than poison.

eot

Banned
Doesn't have to be work as I will probably earn the majority of them through normal play.

You can turn off the Achievement notification in-game

9drxJmL.jpg

Do you mean turn off the overlay entirely? I just see the option for screenshot popups.

Gbraga

I wish you could just turn off achievements, since shift tab to chat can be useful, but that will do, thanks for the tip.

impact

Banned

Yes, but I didn't think any game would top DS1. It's the best game of last gen.

Dark Souls 2 is still better than 99% of games on Playstation/Xbox/Steam/Nintendo/whatever.

ElFly

They do different things. I wouldnt put one on top of the other because Dark Souls as much praise as it gets the last half of the game sucks (Later made tolerable thanks to the great DLC) and there are multiple flaws besides the last half of the game. Dark Souls 2 has its own issues so the mileage might vary but DS2 to me is a big hybrid between Demon Souls and Dark Souls and even King's Field. It feels more like a KF game than Soul games in some areas.

I like the DLC but it is too isolated from the rest of the world, and it kind of ruins the lore, by making Dark more of a clearly bad option.

Sullichin

I guess most people, who played a lot of DS2 will probably say:
Dark Souls 1 >>>>> Demon's Souls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> most games of last generation.

If I had to rank them, it's DS > DS2 > DeS

I fucking love Demon's Souls. It never quite had the replayability of Dark Souls for me though. By that I mean I only have like 5 or 600 hours in it instead of thousands.

But I think they're all in the same tier of quality.

Maybe not news to anyone, or maybe an ongoing deal, but GMG has the game for $39.99 after a 20% off voucher right now.

OFU76E-1C6RHK-OX6OMC

All this talk about DS1 being better is killing the little hype I have left for this game after the wait for PC release and downgrade stuff.

I preordered the game but I dont know when I will get to it.

There's no need to go in with low expectations, go ahead and get your hopes up. Dark Souls 2 edges out as my favorite of the three games, so it's possible to enjoy it the most. Just because most people enjoy the first game more doesn't mean you, individually, are more likely to enjoy the first game more. Release your inner hype.

All this talk about DS1 being better is killing the little hype I have left for this game after the wait for PC release and downgrade stuff.

I preordered the game but I don't know when I will get to it.
Play it for yourself. Trust me, I don't think there is a single person on GAF calling it a bad game.

Hell, there's a lot of stuff that 2 gets right that dark souls 1 got wrong.

sirap

Yes, but I didn't think any game would top DS1. It's the best game of last gen.

Dark Souls 2 is still better than 99% of games on Playstation/Xbox/Steam/Nintendo/whatever.

Dark Soul's world is just magic. The first time you realize everything's connected, goddamn.

Sullichin

Play it for yourself. Trust me, I don't think there is a single person on GAF calling it a bad game.

Hell, there's a lot of stuff that 2 gets right that dark souls 1 got wrong.

Yep.
DS2 is being criticized harshly because it's new, the series is more popular than ever and it's the sequel to one of the most acclaimed games of the generation.

GRIP

There's no need to go in with low expectations, go ahead and get your hopes up. Dark Souls 2 edges out as my favorite of the three games, so it's possible to enjoy it the most. Just because most people enjoy the first game more doesn't mean you, individually, are more likely to enjoy the first game more. Release your inner hype.

I agree. I love the first game and it quickly became one of my all time favorite games, but I actually think I like DaSII more. The overall quality is just more consistent and doesn't have dips like pretty much the entire second half of DaS1.

Echoplx

I thought the whole point of a separate PC OT was so this kind of discussion could be avoided by new players.

Might have to stay away from this thread for a while :/

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
what are people supposed to talk about? At least it's spoiler free
Eh I kind of agree with him though. There is already the original DS2 thread in community for general discussion.

I wouldn't want this kind of stuff discussed right in my face during the lead up before I even got the chance to play either.

The game looks significantly better with SweetFX, but it would also put me at a considerable disadvantage in PvP. It's a shame it doesn't look like that by default. Now I can't decide if I should use SweetFX or not.

Durante

I still think if people applied the scrutiny that is currently en vogue for DS2 to DS1 or (particularly) DeS, they'd find a ton of "serious" issues with those games.

I still have to play (a lot) more before doing any kind of decent evaluation, but so far I can't think of many things DS2 does worse than DS1, and I can think of quite a few it does better.

But I'm also someone who thought that DS1 was, as a whole, a greatly superior game to DeS.

impact

Banned
I'm gonna have to do some research on this sweetFX mumbo jumbo. I never really knew what it was other than adding color to games.

Hypron

I don't actually get these healing item complaints. Actually running out in DS1 was never a problem for me, since you could have up to 20 estus plus humanities which although harder to find were a lot better than gems in DS2 (they were really fast to use and gave you full health). The challenge came from not getting killed before/while healing, and DS2 makes things harder in that regard since healing leaves you more open.
It's really a non problem.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh has the vitriol from that "critique" thread reached this one has well? Hooray

rybrad

I think the part I am most excited about the the PC release is putting the game on my SSD. The PS3 load times I had were insane and I skipped a couple optional bosses at the end because I couldn't handle the load times anymore. I don't know how people who are primarily console gamers deal with load times, they drive me nuts.

Eh I kind of agree with him though. There is already the original DS2 thread in community for general discussion.

I wouldn't want this kind of stuff discussed right in my face during the lead up before I even got the chance to play either.

this thread was locked and then re-opened specifically to give players who waited for the PC version a place to talk about the game as they experience it the first time.

meh. fair enough.

Durante

I don't actually get these healing item complaints. Actually running out in DS1 was never a problem for me, since you could have up to 20 estus plus humanities which although harder to find were a lot better than herbs in DS2 (they were really fast to use and gave you full health). The challenge came from not getting killed before/while healing, and DS2 makes things harder in that regard since healing leaves you more open.
It's really a non problem.
So far, I've found that resource management in terms of HP over a run is a much bigger deal in DS1 than in DS2, simply because you have almost no Estus.

Hypron

So far, I've found that resource management in terms of HP over a run is a much bigger deal in DS1 than in DS2, simply because you have almost no Estus.

Yeah this is definitely true at the beginning of the game. It kinda goes away as time goes by though, but it never makes the game easier than DS1 was.

LeBart

Is there a catch to the Playfire reward system? Do I need a seperate client or something? It seems too good to be true somehow.

masterkajo

While the Playfire reward system is nice for Dark Souls 2 I still feel a bit time pressered now. I know I don't have to do these and play at my own pace but somehow you always have this looming clock above your head.

I won't even look at my rewards page in the time I am playing just so I don't know what I got and missed. Don't want my first blind playthrough be ruined by going for achievements. Whatever I get, I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom