• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I still have my 3D vision 2 glasses but aside from some stellar titles like the Batman games it's kind of lackluster i'm also not the type to go full calibration mode to get the converge right and stuff.

It's totally game dependent. It's really hit and miss but with 3D Vision Fixes like Helixmod or over at the 3D Vision forums, a lot of games end up being awesome.

Rayman Origins and Legends are incredible in 3D, and the original Dark Souls with a 3D fix works beautifully.

Brothers is great as well.

If you haven't tried in a while, I'd recommend exploring some fixes you may not have known about and trying some games out. Rayman Origins was one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, specifically because it was so magnificent in 3D.

jsrv

Nope!

16:10 games will go perfectly full screen.

If you set the in game resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio, like 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 then it will just render black bars.

Basically, that settings says "Fill as much of the screen as you can without stretching the pixels out of their ratio"

Neat, guess I'll leave it like that then
is there a catch for using these settings like maybe input lag from using gpu scaling instead of display? since it's based on aspect ratio I'm guessing the black bars also stay when playing a game in a lower res windowed mode if the aspect ratio was 16:9?

HRose

Banned
For the record DS1 is merely 3.5Gb, so higher resolution textures in DS2 and a similar world size would make 8Gb fairly plausible.

If it's more it's simply that compression has been shit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I see your contention, and I raise you that knowing what covenants are available is important to know. You don't have to say where they are though, that's just a bonus.

actually my contention was about the fact that he was surprised someone playing the PC version didnt know about something... we have no way of knowing if we didnt play the console version

Im one of those people that actually WANTS to know as much as possible beforehand. I know for a fact that I wouldnt have enjoyed DS1 as much as I did (or even play it) if I didnt have a SHIT TON of information before and while playing it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Neat, guess I'll leave it like that then
is there a catch for using these settings like maybe input lag from using gpu scaling instead of display? since it's based on aspect ratio I'm guessing the black bars also stay when playing a game in a lower res windowed mode if the aspect ratio was 16:9?

As far as I know it only applies to full screen mode but I may be wrong about that.

I believe in windowed mode it'll just render outside the screen borders if it's too large, or just the window will fill the middle if it is a smaller resolution.

Garcia

Welcome.

hqdefault.jpg

koryuken

I like it a lot. It's very hard though...

Wait. Company of Champions makes bosses harder?

... that explains stuff. I was wondering if I was just starting to get worse at games in my old age :p

Also, you cannot summon when in the Company of Champions...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
They really should've explained what Company of Champions was... I expect a lot of people join for the heck of it, then never realize why they were having such a hard time.

xBladeM6x

They really should've explained what Company of Champions was... I expect a lot of people join for the heck of it, then never realize why they were having such a hard time.
People would have never stopped complaining about the game is holding your hand too much, which is fucking stupid and hilarious.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wait, you've been in company of champions from the start? Durante, I hope you do realize that you are essentially playing in new game+ difficulty right now.
I wouldn't go that far, but... (see below)

I like it a lot. It's very hard though...

Wait. Company of Champions makes bosses harder?

... that explains stuff. I was wondering if I was just starting to get worse at games in my old age :p
Company of Champions:
I don't think it makes the game NG+ difficulty, but it does make it harder. Enemies have about 20% more defense and hit harder. Also, it completely deactivates coop. You can't summon while in the Company, and you also cannot be summoned (neither as a Phantom nor as a Shade). Invasions can still occur.

So yeah, it's basically Dark Souls II: Hard Mode. The game does warn you about this. :p

The game does warn you that it sets you on the "more arduous path", and asks you like THREE times if you're sure before joining. I'd say that's more than enough. Plus Shalquoir mentions this covenant for those who seek greater challenges...

Holdfing

Just watched the Co-optional Podcast, TotalBiscuit said his 360 controller didn't work with the game, also said someone else's (Force, I think?) controller didn't work, either.

Just a heads up...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just watched the Co-optional Podcast, TotalBiscuit said his 360 controller didn't work with the game, also said someone else's (Force, I think?) controller didn't work, either.

Just a heads up...

In DS1, if you had any other controller plugged in, it would only accept input from the first one.

Probably the same problem here.

Grief.exe

Any reason why you're getting it specifically for DSII, rather than using a DS3 or 360 pad?

About time to retire the 360 controller and the DS4 seems like a perfect option.

Feels a little bigger and I have large hands. Don't know if that is true or not.

Just a heads up...

Calling bullshit on that one. Other people are reporting native xinput compatibility.

xBladeM6x

Just a heads up...

This shit better not be true. The 360 (wireless) is what I use for games like that.

Based Durante save us.

360 pad worked out of the box for DS1, so I would assume if there's an issue it was just something odd with TB's setup, or that it's a bug that will be patched quickly.

...hopefully.

Holdfing

Calling bullshit on that one. Other people are reporting native xinput compatibility.

Yeah, I know Durante mentioned playing it with a DS3 through an xinput wrapper, so I hope it's just some minor mistake on their end. TB did say he reported it to Namco guy but then I got into a big fight with some champions in Diablo 3, so I missed what his reply was :S

Aaaanyway, did they change the countdown timer on the Steam page? I remember it was Friday 9 am for me, but now it's midnight when I use my math ability.

Please tell me I won't have to continue to disable my GC controller & my DS3 simultaneously every time I want to play DS2 using my DS3.

You would think they would have fixed this problem from DS. No other 360 pad game that works with the xinput hack has this problem.

So are there any confirmed physical releases stateside? Had some extra credit at a couple different stores I was debating using, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere except amazon as a digital download?

Zomba13

I have to wait for the delayed physical version. Put the order in on Amazon ages ago for the silly edition with the statue back when it was mispriced and lower than it should be. Sucks that it's been delayed. Hope it fully installs from the disc and I don't have to put the disc in, install a bit and download the rest or something. I've still got like, another week and a half wait ;_;

Cerity

i'll be picking up my physical copy tomorrow, I was hyped as shit but steam is telling there's still 1 day and 23 hrs before unlock :(

mannerbot

So are there any confirmed physical releases stateside? Had some extra credit at a couple different stores I was debating using, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere except amazon as a digital download?

Only physical release in the US is the Collector's Edition for $110. It's available from Amazon, Club Namco, and GameStop, though I'm not sure if it's sold at brick and mortar GameStop stores.

Grief.exe

After years of waiting and speculating on the PC release, we in the last 48 hours until release.

It has been a long road with a few bumps along the way, but I am excited for the product we are getting.

I wish the lighting had been there, but high quality of the port puts that in the back of my mind.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
After years of waiting and speculating on the PC release, we in the last 48 hours until release.

It has been a long road with a few bumps along the way, but I am excited for the product we are getting.

I wish the lighting had been there, but high quality of the port puts that in the back of my mind.

It's crazy that less than 2 years ago the Souls games were a console only franchise.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
~1.4 million sales later we see Japanese publishers changing their tune quite quickly.

And as a PC gamer, I couldn't be happier. PC has always had the potential for high performance, and now we're getting a much wider breadth of games. It's nice to see games becoming more platform agnostic and just available everywhere.

Hopefully this summer sees GTAV inbound

I made it almost through Anor Londo before taking a break. Trying to decompress from Souls for a bit before spending a LONG time in DS2.

Yeah, I was considering doing a playthrough before Friday, but I think it would be best if I've taken a break before diving into DS2.

This is the first game I've preordered in, like, 7 years. I've got the CE ordered on Amazon. Is their release day delivery usually pretty good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom