• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybrad

Is there a catch to the Playfire reward system? Do I need a seperate client or something? It seems too good to be true somehow.
You can install their client for an additional, one-time credit but it is not necessary otherwise. For the rewards, Playfire just reads your Steam profile so you need to have the visibility set to public rather than private.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How many times have they recut that original trailer now? They're getting some mileage.

Im sorry but the game looks nothing like that trailer. pre-order canceled #YOULIEDAGAIN #SCAMCOAMIRIGHT #MORELIKELIGHTSOULS #HASHTAG #DURANTESOLDOUT #ILOVEHASHTAGS

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm buying a monitor next month that's why i ask, is stretching bad? Or does it adjust to give a normal image? I heard alot of games have black borders in place.

You can set it up so that it will have black bars instead, but by default it will stretch it to fill the screen.

For example, turning this

untitled_by_aloo81-d7fk4ny.jpg

into this

Nethaniah

You can set it up so that it will have black bars instead, but by default it will stretch it to fill the screen.

into this

Thanks, i atleast know what to look out for now, if it bothers me that much i'll just use my other monitor for some games but i think i'll manage.

jsrv

into this

I don't mind black bars but do you need to fool around with your drivers to get them or does the game have those options already?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't mind black bars but do you need to fool around with your drivers to get them or does the game have those options already?

With Nvidia cards, you can just toggle the setting in the Nvidia control panel here

Scaling to Aspect Ratio, perform scaling on GPU, and Override the scaling mode set by games.

So there's been talk about Sweet FX and from the looks of Durante's recent article I definitely want to use it, but I've never used it before. It sounds like it's some generic template that you tweak? How would I go about installing it in my own copy of Dark Souls 2 and how do i get the same settings from Durante's article?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Not advised to buy a 16:10 monitor, support is often spotty.

If someone uses their monitor for more than just gaming though they may love it. It's great for browsing the web and computer programming. More height is always welcome there.

So there's been talk about Sweet FX and from the looks of Durante's recent article I definitely want to use it, but I've never used it before. It sounds like it's some generic template that you tweak? How would I go about installing it in my own copy of Dark Souls 2 and how do i get the same settings from Durante's article?

Using Durantes SweetFx, you would just extract the ZIP into the same folder as Dark Souls II is.

Chavelo

Man, I was enjoying this thread with all the tech talk and jolly PC conversation until the debbie downers arrived.

That's why people can't enjoy games anymore: they get spoiled BEFORE they play the game, instead of playing them and coming out with their own views and reviews.

Whatever. My homepage is currently http://codepen.io/JonSnowbd/full/IypwL and pops up every time I launch Firefox. TWO MORE DAYS.

Nethaniah

Not advised to buy a 16:10 monitor, support is often spotty.

If someone uses their monitor for more than just gaming though they may love it. It's great for browsing the web and computer programming. More height is always welcome there.

I am gonna use it for more than games but if the support is really that bad...

I'm getting rid of my NV Surround setup due to lack of interest lately though i'm keeping my 1080p 120Hz monitor, i just need something more than 1080p in my life and i wonder if it's worth going for 1440p instead of 1600p or just making the jump to 4k.

I'm scared that 1440p won't be a big enough increase in resolution, this honestly is the biggest decision i had to make in years, do i go for a smaller increase, not spend as much money but potentially not last as long with it or do i go full on 4K and be set for the forseeable future.

1440p vs 1600p will be the same general pixel density/quality, just one being taller.

From what I've heard others say, 1440p is a pretty big upgrade from 1080p.

I will give it some more thought then, i'm just not someone that wants to cheapen out and be dissapointed with it later.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I'm getting rid of my NV Surround setup due to lack of interest lately though i'm keeping my 1080p 120Hz monitor, i just need something more than 1080p in my life and i wonder if it's worth going for 1440p instead of 1600p or just making the jump to 4k.

I'm scared that 1440p won't be a big enough increase in resolution.

1440p vs 1600p will be the same general pixel density/quality, just one being taller.

From what I've heard others say, 1440p is a pretty big upgrade from 1080p. It's nearly 3/4ths more pixels.

Orayn

Durante, did you have any luck forcing MSAA? Apologies if this was mentioned in the second article and I somehow missed it, it's just that the game supporting Nvidia's SSAA bit gave me a tiny bit of hope.

I'm scared that 1440p won't be a big enough increase in resolution, this honestly is the biggest decision i had to make in years, do i go for a smaller increase, not spend as much money but potentially not last as long with it or do i go full on 4K and be set for the forseeable future.

I will give it some more thought then, i'm just not someone that wants to cheapen out and be dissapointed with it later.

Just wait for 4K monitors to actually be good.

Nethaniah

Just wait for 4K monitors to actually be good.

That was kind of what i was waiting for though my impatience is getting to me, it's a case of, i know i have the money to buy it now, so i want it...NOW.

I was playing at higher resolutions almost a decade ago (aside from my surround setup) than i am now so there's that too.

Man, I was enjoying this thread with all the tech talk and jolly PC conversation until the debbie downers arrived.

That's why people can't enjoy games anymore: they get spoiled BEFORE they play the game, instead of playing them and coming out with their own views and reviews.

Whatever. My homepage is currently http://codepen.io/JonSnowbd/full/IypwL and pops up every time I launch Firefox. TWO MORE DAYS.

Reviews/Impressions don't seem to affect my perception that much. Still loved Arkham Origins after all them doubters.

jsrv

With Nvidia cards, you can just toggle the setting in the Nvidia control panel here

Scaling to Aspect Ratio, perform scaling on GPU, and Override the scaling mode set by games.

Thanks, didn't know about this option
guess I have to turn this on and off if I decide to play some other game that natively supports 16:10?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just noticed it unlocks at 11pm on the 24th for me... 1 hour before I go to work (well technically I go to work at around 11:45), son of a bitch.

At least it will be ready when I get home from work o/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks, didn't know about this option
guess I have to turn this on and off if I decide to play some other game that natively supports 16:10?

Nope!

16:10 games will go perfectly full screen.

If you set the in game resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio, like 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 then it will just render black bars.

Basically, that settings says "Fill as much of the screen as you can without stretching the pixels out of their ratio"

So now the question is do I stay up late on Thursday into Friday, and do I put in any more time on the 360 to BroGrind and get that Sunlight Spear?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So now the question is do I stay up late on Thursday into Friday, and do I put in any more time on the 360 to BroGrind and get that Sunlight Spear?

I still have to progress in my NG++ run to get the last spells I need, but all my motivation is gone now that the pc version is so close.

And if I 100% that version, I get some money out of it!

En-ou

I think the part I am most excited about the the PC release is putting the game on my SSD. The PS3 load times I had were insane and I skipped a couple optional bosses at the end because I couldn't handle the load times anymore. I don't know how people who are primarily console gamers deal with load times, they drive me nuts.

you keep your ds or vita beside you. or you browse neogaf on your phone during load times...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lifegems are easily bought from a Majula merchant in an unlimited supply for a piddly amount - rather than having to mindlessly grind them from rats - and using them in succession increases both the regen rate and the total HP regained. They render healing a triviality.
Except in boss fights. If you use a Lifegem or even an Estus in any time except that one moment where it's safe (and those moments vary from rare to split-second precision timing rare, depending on the bosses), you're practically committing suicide.

This is especially true if you're playing solo and in the Company of Champions. Bosses that were pushovers suddenly became a hell of a lot more dangerous.

I don't actually get these healing item complaints. Actually running out in DS1 was never a problem for me, since you could have up to 20 estus plus humanities which although harder to find were a lot better than gems in DS2 (they were really fast to use and gave you full health). The challenge came from not getting killed before/while healing, and DS2 makes things harder in that regard since healing leaves you more open.
It's really a non problem.
Agreed. Up to 20 estus that heal super-fast makes healing more trivial than any method in Dark Souls II.

I had a feeling and hope that DSII would be included for Play fire rewards... Hope I can get those achievements in two weeks!

I also forgot that I've never installed their playfire client. Is it bad? Gotta get them credits for DSII DLC later on.

Durante

You know I've been wondering, what is your general impression of Dark Souls 2 so far?
I like it a lot. It's very hard though...

This is especially true if you're playing solo and in the Company of Champions. Bosses that were pushovers suddenly became a hell of a lot more dangerous.
Wait. Company of Champions makes bosses harder?

... that explains stuff. I was wondering if I was just starting to get worse at games in my old age :p

Wait. Company of Champions makes bosses harder?

... that explains stuff. I was wondering if I was just starting to get worse at games in my old age :p

Wait, you've been in company of champions from the start? Durante, I hope you do realize that you are essentially playing in new game+ difficulty right now.

Risible

Ignore the naysayers. I've played hundreds of hours on the PS3 version and I am still psyched as hell to pay it on the PC. The quick loading times will be glorious.

Rhaknar

Wait, you've been in company of champions from the start? Durante, I hope you do realize that you are essentially playing in new game+ difficulty right now.

if only this was the thread for people mostly waiting for the PC version with no knowledge of the console versions playing a game known for giving little to no information about anything you do in said game...

...oh wait :/

that being said, thats a good thing to know beforehand, glad I know it now

Odrion

Banned
That was kind of what i was waiting for though my impatience is getting to me, it's a case of, i know i have the money to buy it now, so i want it...NOW.

I was playing at higher resolutions almost a decade ago (aside from my surround setup) than i am now so there's that too.
If there's any monitor worth waiting for, I'm gonna have to say it's that Asus 1440p GSYNC that's coming in a couple months.

Nethaniah

If there's any monitor worth waiting for, I'm gonna have to say it's that Asus 1440p GSYNC that's coming in a couple months.

Months man, months, this game though is coming out this week, with a confirmed 60fps cap playing this on my 120Hz BenQ with @ 1080p kinda sucks, colors look bad aswell.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Months man, months, this game though is coming out this week, with a confirmed 60fps cap playing this on my 120Hz BenQ with @ 1080p kinda sucks, colors look bad aswell.

120hz?

Oh man!

3D!!!

I'm definitely going to be testing the game in 3D and if it works well I'll definitely be trying it out.

Nethaniah

120hz?

Oh man!

3D!!!

I'm definitely going to be testing the game in 3D and if it works well I'll definitely be trying it out.

I still have my 3D vision 2 glasses but aside from some stellar titles like the Batman games it's kind of lackluster i'm also not the type to go full calibration mode to get the converge right and stuff.

Gvaz

Banned
if only this was the thread for people mostly waiting for the PC version with no knowledge of the console versions playing a game known for giving little to no information about anything you do in said game...

...oh wait :/

that being said, thats a good thing to know beforehand, glad I know it now

I see your contention, and I raise you that knowing what covenants are available is important to know. You don't have to say where they are though, that's just a bonus.

so some of the bonfires cast shadows, and others don't. same thing with the torch braziers you can light.

is there any chance that modders could fix the broken ones? or can that not be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom