• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

d93zUgU.gif

Ha, I made this for r/darksouls a while back. Funny to see it again.

Mman235

I read the thread and played the console version through for a bit and agree with some of the stuff so far, but some of the "mistakes and flaws" are actually just things done differently than Dark Souls and the author refusing to play DS2 on it's own terms. For example, From saw the kinds of things that players routinely did to exploit how stupid the game AI and trivialize encounters and fixed some of them. The result being that regular encounters have been more varied in DS2 and are less easily "solved" compared to DS1. I love it, figuring out the game is the interesting part. For another, on other points he's basically straight up wrong and it's not a matter of opinion. Such as thinking healing items are much stronger and more plentiful now, which is franking so wrong that it's hard not to have that cast a lot of doubt on his even basic competence at the game. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds very reminiscent of the kinds of complaints some DeS players were making of any changes to the game they found in DS1.

This pretty much. I haven't seen the video but the vast majority of the complaints have been said elsewhere anyway (and the rest are pretty clear from the comments in the thread); some are legit issues, some are subjectively correct depending on your preferences and others are "WAH it's not a remake of Dark Souls 1!"

deeTyrant

My preload is complete, why couldn't this come out today :'(

My hype has hit a roadblock after reading Messofanego 's thread.

Hold me, GAF.

I thought a majority of his points were fair and considered. But with that said I think if you enjoyed Dark or Demon's you owe it to yourself to play DSII and make up your own mind about it. Some of the things he pointed out might not even bother you, it all depends on what you come to souls games for.

I've played through the game on consoles, agree with a lot of the issues and feel DSII is the weakest of the three games but am still hyped as hell to jump into the game again on PC. No game is perfect, don't let the issues put a stop to the hype.

Durante

I read the thread and played the console version through for a bit and agree with some of the stuff so far, but some of the "mistakes and flaws" are actually just things done differently than Dark Souls and the author refusing to play DS2 on it's own terms. For example, From saw the kinds of things that players routinely did to exploit how stupid the game AI and trivialize encounters and fixed some of them. The result being that regular encounters have been more varied in DS2 and are less easily "solved" compared to DS1. I love it, figuring out the game is the interesting part. For another, on other points he's basically straight up wrong and it's not a matter of opinion. Such as thinking healing items are much stronger and more plentiful now, which is franking so wrong that it's hard not to have that cast a lot of doubt on his even basic competence at the game. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds very reminiscent of the kinds of complaints some DeS players were making of any changes to the game they found in DS1.
Yeah, I already noticed this early on in DS2. The AI acts much more interestingly, particularly in groups. I like it a lot.

Hold me, GAF.

I listened to what he had to say about Dark Souls 2 and I thought he was just being nitpicky. It didn't help that he went on for a good amount of time because the release trailer featured a man instead of being vague like other souls. Though, I am one of those people that do not care about genders in trailers.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I listened to what he had to say about Dark Souls 2 and I thought he was just being nitpicky. It didn't help that he went on for a good amount of time because the release trailer featured a man instead of being vague like other souls. Though, I am one of those people that do not care about genders in trailers.

Even on Dark Souls 1 opening you see a man.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Even on Dark Souls 1 opening you see a man.

You don't control your character in dark souls before customizing it though. In DS2 you start the game, run around for awhile (as a male character) and then when you meet the witches it gets you to customize your character. It's really jarring if you want to play a female.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You don't control your character in dark souls before customizing it though. In DS2 you start the game, run around for awhile (as a male character) and then when you meet the witches it gets you to customize your character. It's really jarring if you want to play a female.

I know and it didnt bothered me at all. It last like 2-3 minutes.

xBladeM6x

That's the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard. Do they specify how many fries come in an order of fries where you come from?

It being bizarre was the point. I'm obviously being hyperbolic, but it's to show that in my mind's imagination that's how I view people who turn small critiques into huge game breaking problems. For example when people take a single muddy texture and say it ruins the whole game, and it's a completely broken port. (Usually an exclusively PC elitist mentality)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
omg the majority of bosses in Dark and Demon Souls have been male as well! What is FROM trying to say??!

Garcia

Hold me, GAF.

Don't worry too much. I agree almost 100% with that critique but there's one truth to Dark Souls 2: It is an extremely fun online game. Even with its few fugly PS2 areas, bad hitboxes and a very long list of issues, it is just unbelievable how you can actually put all those things in the background while doing Co-op soul grinding or helping others.

It's not a bad game per se; it was just badly put together and got released at least 12 months before if should. Even with all the circumstances surrounding it, it holds up as one of the most entertaining experiences you will find out there.

Durante

I thought the gender for the beginning form of your character that you run around with was indeterminate. At least, as someone who plays a female character, I didn't notice anything wrong.

xBladeM6x

I thought the gender for the beginning form of your character that you run around with was indeterminate. At least, as someone who plays a female character, I didn't notice anything wrong.

The cloak the character is wearing is so massive I don't know how someone could identify sex through it.

You start as a Undead version of the default male character. You can check your stats, get naked and stuff.

It's kinda weird but it's hardly important.

When you take off the robe you can't even see if your character has junk or not, so for all we know it is gender neutral.

Dammit, saw a Fedex truck driving by earlier as I was jogging, was secretly hoping Namco shipped my CE early. Damn. It would be nice if I got the thing at least on release day.

Zeliard

For another, on other points he's basically straight up wrong and it's not a matter of opinion. Such as thinking healing items are much stronger and more plentiful now, which is franking so wrong that it's hard not to have that cast a lot of doubt on his even basic competence at the game.

Relative to the first Dark Souls, it's correct. You end up with far more healing items far more easily than in DS1, so while you only start off with one Estus Flask, that isn't really meaningful in the long run when you can effortlessly end up with 99 lifegems that you can just continually spam in every fight if need be. The system is reminiscent of stacking herbs in Demon's Souls.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Graah. Preordered on Amazon, won't give me a key to preload yet. Showing the regular release date.

Amazooooooon D:

zma1013

You can lay down in a coffin and you pop out moments later as the opposite sex. Gender obviously holds very little importance in the world of Drangleic.

AkuMifune

Banned
You can lay down in a coffin and you pop out moments later as the opposite sex. Gender obviously holds very little importance in the world of Drangleic.

In fact, I think most people unwittingly change their sex and don't realize it until much later.

That seems progressive to me.

Are people really letting a single review destroy their hype for this game? I mean, the game itself is already out and tons of people have played it. It's relatively the very same Souls experience you've come to expect, any upgrades or downgrades are so small and marginal that they shouldn't impact anyone's overall interest in whether to buy/play it or not. If you loved Demons and Dark, you'll love Dark 2. The game is awesome.

Nibel

Man, who the fuck is Messofanego?

Like, is he the Jesus of the Souls community? From what I've read of that review it seems like a whiny nerd who doesn't want to give the DS2 changes a chance

Come on people, get yo praise straight

Vaporak

Relative to the first Dark Souls, it's correct. You end up with far more healing items far more easily than in DS1, so while you only start off with one Estus Flask, that isn't really meaningful in the long run when you can effortlessly end up with 99 lifegems that you can just continually spam in every fight if need be. The system is reminiscent of stacking herbs in Demon's Souls.

99 lifegems is strictly worse than 99 humanity, and so is the estus in DS2 compared to 1. Healing is strictly weaker in DS2 and the game is better for it.

Zeliard

99 lifegems is strictly worse than 99 humanity, and so is the estus in DS2 compared to 1. Healing is strictly weaker in DS2 and the game is better for it.

Lifegems are easily bought from a Majula merchant in an unlimited supply for a piddly amount - rather than having to mindlessly grind them from rats - and using them in succession increases both the regen rate and the total HP regained. They render healing a triviality.

Lifegems are easily bought from a Majula merchant in an unlimited supply for a piddly amount - rather than having to mindlessly grind them from rats - and using them in succession increases both the regen rate and the total HP regained. They render healing a triviality.
They take a while to kick in and you're left wide open while healing. It's hardly a triviality.

Zeliard

They take a while to kick in and you're left wide open while healing. It's hardly a triviality.

Just put any distance between you and the enemies and it becomes a triviality. It's particularly easy to do against most bosses since almost all of them are super slow.

jimi_dini

The system is reminiscent of stacking herbs in Demon's Souls.

It's way worse in DS2. In DeS1 you had to get through part of a level to have the option to buy them - and that option isn't available right from the start. Or farm them. In DS2 they are handed out everywhere and you can buy them almost immediately - and not within a level, but at the central hub - and there is no limit on how many you can purchase.

I have 12 estusk flasks now and it's just silly. I never use even half of them. Most of the time not even 2 or 3. Estusk heals almost instantly. Health gems take a little longer, but still just a few seconds.

eot

Banned
£5.50 for all of the achievements
Bonus £.50 for playing the game on launch
Bonus £1.50 for new users who link their Steam accounts between the 24th-30th

Don't leave that money on the table.

http://blog.playfire.com/2014/04/playfire-rewards-beta-dark-souls-ii.html

I don't want to turn my games into work. It's like reverse F2P. Join every covenant and you get 25 cents! No thank you.

I guess that shit adds up, but still. I wish you could disable achievement popups in Steam.

zma1013

I thought lifegems were pretty pointless. All you ever need is the Estus flask. Bonfires are so frequent that I never ran out of Estus at any point in the game and not only that, helping people beat a boss or just a few enemies as a shade nets you a complete refill of everything. It also seems like every other item you find refills HP to some degree. There are just way too many ways to heal in this game that are not needed.

Is it safe to say the general consensus from console players is that DS1 > DS2?

I'm okay with that, since it also seems the consensus among most players is that it's still a great game. DS1 is possibly my all time favorite game, so I didn't expect DS2 to exceed it for me. But after ~400 hours in DS1 I'm ready for a new Souls experience, even if it's not quite as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom