• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Didn't that just turn off AA though? Whatever's in DaS2 makes the game look like shit, and I'm definitely one of those guys that thinks the game looks really good.
It just turned off the AA, yes. I also played with turning off the AO, but that was too big of an abrupt step. They probably extended the concept to more effects (such as motion blur and maybe even shadow casting).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If there are still European folks looking for a good deal on the game, you can buy it from Nuuvem for approximately 27.20 Eurobucks.

I honestly haven't really played all that much, with all the analysis/tweaking/writing I've been doing.

But what I played absolutely seemed like a worthy successor to DS1 (which is one of my favorite games of the past 5 years). I'll see which one I prefer after 200 hours, once my (Sun)Bros are in the game ;)

Hey Durante I sent you a friend request on Steam :)

UrbanRats

If there are still European folks looking for a good deal on the game, you can buy it from Nuuvem for approximately 27.20 Eurobucks.

Indeed.
It's very likely that you won't see a lower price for the whole year (well, maybe amazon could go lower, but it's hard to get on those sales if you're not paying attention).

zkylon

zkylewd
I honestly haven't really played all that much, with all the analysis/tweaking/writing I've been doing.

But what I played absolutely seemed like a worthy successor to DS1 (which is one of my favorite games of the past 5 years). I'll see which one I prefer after 200 hours, once my (Sun)Bros are in the game ;)
cool

i figured i'd ask this since you're already getting bombarded with tech questions
, most of which i don't understand

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If I order the Steam edition now at amazon, do I get a key to preload? Or will they send it out on release day? (Got about the price of the game in Amazon money, so that would be nice).

ShizWhiz

Neo Member
So much hype for this, Australia's Steam pricing was $71.99, got it on GMG for $37.50.

Thanks for all the work you did which deliberated whether or not I'd be playing this game, Durante.

For all you SimplyCDKeys folks, I sent their customer support an email asking when the keys are going to be released and they said "at least 24 hours before release" so hopefully Thursday at the latest.

Vitor711

For all you SimplyCDKeys folks, I sent their customer support an email asking when the keys are going to be released and they said "at least 24 hours before release" so hopefully Thursday at the latest.

*Fingers crossed*

Although, due to Steam's stupid unability to choose which drive to preload to, that won't help me. Even if I force Steam to load where I want, I still need the full space on my original drive to unpack the files. So dumb.

Have a 64GB SSD as my primary that's only for OS and DOTA. It's already filled up as is with less than 5GB free.

hiryu

That is correlated with red orb. They are rare so less people invade. With less people invade other worlds
Blue Sentinels
dont have any work so they are pointless.

Sorry but invasion was handled really bad in Dark Souls 2, the fact red orbs are rare to get in NG is the proof.
You cant have a large community without make compromise.

I'm pretty sure it was done on purpose. PVP is meant for NG+

Grief.exe

Still closed...Mmm...
LjKTjon.gif
If this was from DS2, 200 people would complain about the stone texture now (which is, in fact, worse than anything I've seen in DS2 PC so far in terms of texels/pixel).

iF6PqbgFWmW12.gif

Shinjica

So
Rat covenant
which are more annoying than regular invasion can be done in NG so many times you want but red orb invasion no? Double standard?
And think about that, if i do PVP in NG+ everyone has max stat but what i really like in the first game is doing some PVP during the game to see other player progession. You know some guys in undead burg will kill the merchant and use the katana against you.
What's fun in fight everyone with his strongest armor all the times?

It's a bad idea. Invasion in DeS and DkS were much more better that this.

Welp, I'm pre-loaded up and ready. Good looking out on the GMG discount, all this talk of DSII being less-than DS has made me antsy. Still looking forward to giving it a go, though.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls II has been in the Top 10 Sellers on Steam since it was first made available for pre-order. Has been topping the list at 3rd party retailer stores for that time period as well.

Games always pick up steam the week of release and Dark Souls II is no different. More people will probably be buying the game a little after release as news of the excellent port trickle down.

I can't wait to see the concurrent numbers for this game, I would imagine it will be a juggernaut.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I doubt the current state of invasion was done on purpose, nor did From mean for PVP to be solely NG+. That's ridiculous.

The criticisms Shinjica brings up are valid because the (covenants)
sentinels, covenant of the blue and brotherhood of blood
all tie into each other and their purpose relies on the other's existence. But because there are few invasions it causes the dynamics between the covenants to barely exist. I'm hoping it gets fixed in the future.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think I took any. But it looks silly. Just imagine all the text with a glow effect and the visual UI elements blown out contrast-wise.

Do you think it would be possible to do something DSFix like where you could attach SweetFx to it and it would apply the visual tweaks before rendering out and displaying the HUD?

I can't wait to see the concurrent numbers for this game, I would imagine it will be a juggernaut.

Concurrent users will be very interesting. DS1 had traditionally decent, but never stellar numbers, yet it managed to hold them for a really long time. I hope it breaks 50,000. I imagine it is selling very well, and with a cheaper price than consoles, seems like it has every reason to do gangbusters.

Ah, thanks, good to know. As long I I'm able to have the game preloaded and ready to go as soon as it unlocks, that's fine with me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
My hype has hit a roadblock after reading Messofanego 's thread.

Hold me, GAF.
The author has some valid criticisms, but they are also immersed in extreme hyperbolic nitpicks. YMMV, take with grain of salt, don't try to quantify everything in life the game is a lot of fucking fun, praise the sun.

Durante

Hold me, GAF.
Why would you read a thread like that before playing a game? You can't even evaluate whether it has any merit. (I've completely avoided it so far, maybe I'll revisit it once I've completed DS2)

Hold me, GAF.

The complaints seem minor from what I've read. The biggest one being world flow. Will have to reevaluate after I finish my first run through, but the first 3 hours were awesome from what I've played.

So how big is the game? I'm sure it's been mentioned but my searching skills suck. Just hope that there isn't much more to download after my preload is done.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Why would you read a thread like that before playing a game? You can't even evaluate whether it has any merit. (I've completely avoided it so far, maybe I'll revisit it once I've completed DS2)

The review itself is better and more detailed than most of Dark Souls 2 reviews out there. Dude point the mistakes and flaws very well unlike the other reviewers who go "it's dark souls 2 it's perfect and it's wowsome"

Nibel

Dark Souls II has been in the Top 10 Sellers on Steam since it was first made available for pre-order. Has been topping the list at 3rd party retailer stores for that time period as well.

Games always pick up steam the week of release and Dark Souls II is no different. More people will probably be buying the game a little after release as news of the excellent port trickle down.

I really hope that this will do exceptionally well - this might push other publisher and devs from Japan to Steam

Also, From deserves the success for their efforts

feel

Hold me, GAF.
Why would you read such thread?

I'm sort of glad that my PC version wait has been made bearable by some of the negativity I've noticed concerning some aspects of the game from here and there reducing the hype, but reading a thread like that or watching the "why DSII sucks" videos with all the faults being heavily pointed out is NOPE.jpg territory, I still want to (and I'm sure I will) enjoy the game some even if it's not as good as its incredible predecessor.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The review itself is better and more detailed than most of Dark Souls 2 reviews out there. Dude point the mistakes and flaws very well unlike the other reviewers who go "it's dark souls 2 it's perfect and it's wowsome"

Sure he is pointing flaws but also exaggerating those flaws.

xBladeM6x

Half of the flaws he points are hyperbolic and nitpicking.

Whenever people do that kind of shit, I imagine they're the kind of people who order a large order of fries, and then sit in the parking lot and count the exact amount, and will ask for a full refund when they're one fry short.

Risible

Whenever people do that kind of shit, I imagine they're the kind of people who order a large order of fries, and then sit in the parking lot and count the exact amount, and will ask for a full refund when they're one fry short.

That's the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard. Do they specify how many fries come in an order of fries where you come from?

Vaporak

Hold me, GAF.

I read the thread and played the console version through for a bit and agree with some of the stuff so far, but some of the "mistakes and flaws" are actually just things done differently than Dark Souls and the author refusing to play DS2 on it's own terms. For example, From saw the kinds of things that players routinely did to exploit how stupid the game AI and trivialize encounters and fixed some of them. The result being that regular encounters have been more varied in DS2 and are less easily "solved" compared to DS1. I love it, figuring out the game is the interesting part. For another, on other points he's basically straight up wrong and it's not a matter of opinion. Such as thinking healing items are much stronger and more plentiful now, which is franking so wrong that it's hard not to have that cast a lot of doubt on his even basic competence at the game. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds very reminiscent of the kinds of complaints some DeS players were making of any changes to the game they found in DS1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom