• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braag

My first play was in that covenant too as I was under the impression that all it did was disable summoning. When I heard it made the game harder it just made me more smug. I still think it's the best covenant for a first playthrough, leaving it might make the game feel to easy for you now.

Yeah it feels easier now. What it really did was make me more careless. While in the covenant I died from just 2 blows so I took my time in each battle and only attacked when it was the right time. Now I take more risks and I can honestly say I have died more often in this area than I did when I was in the covenant.

Dr Dogg

In addition to the messages, people in Majula also tell you quite explicitly that it makes stuff harder. I also ignored their sound advice initially :p

I you want to lave, you can e.g. do so
by talking to the cat

One of the messages I saw right before it said something like "Be wary of recklessness and then despair". Yeah that did the trick for me.

Moaradin

Am I the only one that loves The Gutter/Black Gulch? I loved Blighttown too so I guess I really like the levels where they try to dick you over as much as possible lol.

Herla

I have a simple question: is there a better weapon than the Mace you can buy in Majula at the beginning of the game if I'm a strenght character that doesn't want to use Greatswords?

Because I'm getting tired of it, I even found a sword with A scaling and it's not as strong (and has a worse moveset). What the hell, might as well reroll Dex like in DeS and DaS...

JimPanzer

I have a simple question: is there a better weapon than the Mace you can buy in Majula at the beginning of the game if I'm a strenght character that doesn't want to use Greatswords?

Because I'm getting tired of it, I even found a sword with A scaling and it's not as strong (and has a worse moveset). What the hell, might as well reroll Dex like in DeS and DaS...

I really like the mastodon halberd, needs some time to get used to, but if used correctly it two-hits everything

Finally got to rank 1 in the Botherhood of Blood before jumping to NG+. Surprised I was able to do it in the arena. Took way too long. Wish a loss didn't take a point away from ranking up. Some will probably never rank up the way it is now. Thought I'd have to wait till NG+ for the infinite orbs.

Did PvP in the Iron Keep earlier in the game via red soapstone and man what a mistake. Every once in a while I'd get a player hosting duels, but usually it's just gankers and spawn rushers. The dueling arenas would be perfect if you couldn't use healing items/estus.

Got to say that I'm glad I double dipped though. Can't say I'll be going back to the PS3 version anytime soon.

p3n

After losing to some players with their
Santier's Spear
in pvp I decided to make a new character and try it out for myself and boy....

....WHAT THE HELL WHERE THEY THINKING???

This weapon feels like someone at FROM took the best attack moves of 4 or 5 different weapons and put them on a f'n indestructable weapon!

I was a tiny bit disappointed in DkS2 after putting so many hours into DkS1 but right now with this weapon I'm heaving just way too much fun. It may not be very strong (per hit) but the moveset is making me grin everytime! Now back to farming some more Twinklies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, the
Ancient Dragon
isnt a boss, its a npc. Yeah I dont think im ever fighting it, I just cba killing all those damn sentinels on the way back after each death, im glad im done with this zone, I hated it

edit: on the way back to the bonfire I found a hidden path that lead to a
petrified egg
, whats that for?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Holy cow. It seems like the
Undead Crypt
is going to be absolute torture in NG+ as a melee.

Edit: Or maybe just that one room. It's amazing what the addition of
two enemies
can do.

wait, the
Ancient Dragon
isnt a boss, its a npc. Yeah I dont think im ever fighting it, I just cba killing all those damn sentinels on the way back after each death, im glad im done with this zone, I hated it

petrified egg
, whats that for?

Bring it to the merchant in Iron Keep.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bring it to the merchant in Iron Keep.

hmm I dont even remember a merchant in Iron Keep but ok :)

just killed the duo in
Throne of Want
, there was nothing else in the place so I read up on it and aparently
its a good thing to kill them before the end otherwise the last boss starts right after o_O

Jintor

wtf, you can talk to the queen? I thought she was just lording it up over there and you'd go into her room later. Now she's gone :<

hmm I dont even remember a merchant in Iron Keep but ok :)

just killed the duo in
Throne of Want
, there was nothing else in the place so I read up on it and aparently
its a good thing to kill them before the end otherwise the last boss starts right after o_O

Starting from the first bonfire, head right once you're over the bridge and entered the building.
I've poured a lot of points into STR, but I'm not really getting much in return. Is scaling really that bad? I'm thinking of respeccing and giving my character just enough strength to carry the mastodon halbert and great club one handed and just pour the remaining points into faith so I can use certain offensive spells. Or would it be a better idea to ditch those weapons and focus on faith entirely? I know you can do something with weapons to make them scale off faith or something.

Unless your weapon has S scaling, points over 30 in STR/DEX don't really matter for damage. Almost every stat has a soft cap of 20 or 30, actually. VIT is ok until 50, the other stats should only be higher for weapon/spell requirements or if you have nowhere else to put them. Most of your damage will come from upgraded equipment.
The most fun you can have in DS imo is going mainly melee with a limited number of spells as a backup. Focusing mainly on spell makes the game incredibly easy and boring.

From needs to add a better jump mechanic or remove jumping period. It's stupid how easily you die from a bad jump in this game.

Anyway did a stupid thing today. Noticed my 120k plus souls were missing and couldn't figure out why. Well when I went to switch weapons I noticed I now had 140 maces in my inventory. Guess I pressed down rather than up when I tried to buy two and didn't notice. That entire scroll bar is full of the same repeating image.
tXTl6Q7.png

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
lol tidying up before NG+ and just found the dumb
cat boots

E: Well damn. Guess I might put my second run on hold. Upgrading some armor at the blacksmith and the screen artifacted like fuck, froze, and had to force restart. Time to think about a new graphics card; at least it waited til I finished the game.

Both of my weapons have A scaling off of strength. I went from 30 STR to 40, but the damage boost is fairly insignificant. Still, haven't used any spells other than healing so far, so I'm willing to experiment a bit. It's just that I'm not sure a STR/FTH hybrid would me more or less efficient than a full FTH character.

There's not much difference between a full FTH and STR/FTH character. Put as many points into FTH as you need to use spells (mainly lightning spear / great lightning spear) /equipment (Infuse your chime with lightning!) and put enough into STR so you can use the weapon you want.

I never felt like there was a need to fully min/max in DS, so just try it out and then use whatever is the most fun for you and adjust your stats accordingly. I went full FTH (used a broadsword as backup) with my second character and it made the game a cakewalk.

Forkball

Where did the boss souls merchant go? He disappeared from Lost Bastille. Any recommendations on cool boss items? I got the Pursuer's Shield but it's pretty heavy.

Rhaknar

LOL are you fucking serious about this
timer in the memories
?

Durante

Anyway did a stupid thing today. Noticed my 120k plus souls were missing and couldn't figure out why. Well when I went to switch weapons I noticed I now had 140 maces in my inventory. Guess I pressed down rather than up when I tried to buy two and didn't notice.
I'm sorry, but your plight greatly amuses me.

What will infusing the chime with lightning do? Increase lightning attacks. Also, you're saying I should use weapons based on str, rather than fth (if there are any)? I keep hearing people speak of infusing weapons with elements, but I don't know what to look for.

A chime normally has a modifier for dark damage (Hexes) and lightning damage (Miracles). Infusing with lightning lowers dark, but increases lightning, so it's great if you only go into FTH. There are not many weapons that natively scale off faith (Heide Sword and Heide Lance mainly, the best weapon is the Defender Greatsword but you have to defeat some very late game bosses for it), but if you infuse any weapon with lightning, the innate scaling and damage will be lowered, but it will have additional lightning damage and FTH scaling. So having base STR to meet weapon requirements and high FTH for spells still gives you additional damage with the added scaling.

Rhaknar

question about (late game spoilers)
the memories

so I did the one after the kings ring door (obviously), the giant boss was ridiculously easy, and the one with the dead giant near the ballistas early on in forest of giants. Are there any others, I could sware I saw some more before?

question about (late game spoilers)
the memories

so I did the one after the kings ring door (obviously), the giant boss was ridiculously easy, and the one with the dead giant near the ballistas early on in forest of giants. Are there any others, I could sware I saw some more before?

There another one in the area after Pursuer

Stefan™;110461885 said:
I laughed way too hard. I'm sorry.

Never understood why they let you buy any amounts of weapons/armor in one transaction, but now I'm happy that they do!

lol Yeah it's no biggie since I already hit my level 150 cap and just piss away souls from pvp on whatever I can but I don't want to make the effort to clean my inventory of all those damn maces.

Vitor711

LOL are you fucking serious about this
timer in the memories
?

Haha, I know right? Such nonsense. To be fair, it's fairly generous once you know the route you should take and I guess it's there so you can't cheese the giants to death with ranged attacks if you're pure melee.

Which I id anyway. Did not enjoy any of those at all.

Rhaknar

god I hate weapons that lose durability when you use the strong attack, especially now that they last fuck all anyway

I was going to upgrade this
curved dragon greatsword
because its so pretty but meh

anyway, now that I have the
Giants Kinship
, I can finish the game correct?

theres still a few things I havent done (
chariot boss, gargoyles at the belfry which I cant find, the old king you need giant souls to weaken, the memory after the pursuer which I also cant find, ancient dragon and whatever else is left that I dont know about
) but Im pretty much ready to be done with the game for now. Dont get me wrong, I loved it, but...I dunno, it was exausting, in a way that DS1 wasnt. But even that one I didnt do NG+, but I did start over with another character and finish it again. This one I just dont have the will for it, at least at the moment. DS1 was special since it was the first souls game for me, this was very good, but...you know... you never forget your first time :p

still better than Demons Souls tho (come at me playstation bros!)

Mistel

Banned
petrified egg
, whats that for?
Talk to the merchant in iron keep it's for joining the remnants.

Technically only one memory is required its behind the kings door.

bj00rn_

Banned
I got a message on the screen today that said "SUMMONED BY A GREY SPIRIT".. I forgot to disconnect today (usually play offline) but thought that since I was hollow it didn't matter (except moronic messages on the ground..). I couldn't believe my eyes, got confused, so I just stood there like a fool, with half health and some pyro gloves that I had on for the first time, until I got a sword into the back of my head..
I quickly changed weapons and killed the guy within a few seconds (because you know; I got pro skills and all..) and got a lock stone.

Didn't think I could be pestered by online stuff when I'm hollow? I suppose this is another change from DS1 that I just didn't know about. But is it just some areas or does it happen throughout the game?

Game over
Nashandra
beat! Not a big fan of that last battle tbh, how do people feel about
her
?

Also, the plot is even more vague than Dark Souls', at least in that game you had Frampt that sort of gave you some insight on the situation, while here I have no idea what just happened in that final cutscene. I guess I'll go read the lore thread.

I got a message on the screen today that said "SUMMONED BY A GREY SPIRIT".. I forgot to disconnect today (usually play offline) but thought that since I was hollow it didn't matter (except moronic messages on the ground..). I couldn't believe my eyes, got confused, so I just stood there like a fool until I got a sword into the back of my head..
I quickly changed weapons and killed the guy within a few seconds (because you know; I got pro skills and all..) and got a lock stone.

Didn't think I could be pestered by online stuff when I'm hollow? I suppose this is another change from DS1 that I just didn't know about. But is it just some areas or does it happen throughout the game?

Invasions and Summons can happen both hollow and human. Also, you were in a special area that summons people into other worlds.

Never played a Souls game, but decided to give this a go and have my ass kicked after watching several 'let's plays' on YouTube.
Is the 25% discount code GMG currently the best offer? I'm in Europe.

didamangi

I'm at the tail end now I suspect. Getting pummeled by
giants
while trying to avoid raining
giant fireballs
, so that's fun :(

Never played a Souls game, but decided to give this a go and have my ass kicked after watching several 'let's plays' on YouTube.
Is the 25% discount code GMG currently the best offer? I'm in Europe.

It's around €28 on Nuuvem, I think that's the best price for Euro folks?

Jintor

The geometry of some of these things is totally bizarre. I don't know if it's just faulty memory but the amount of physical blocking lines that extend beyond the visual perameters is irritatingly large, especially if you're trying to snipe.

JustinBB7

Anybody know if the trick to check your total deaths works for PC? I read that on consoles you could unplug internet and then check the statue for the worldwide deaths and it would only display your own.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What's the best item for casting miracles? I was thinking about using the Witchtree Bellvine +10 with possibly a lightning infusion (does that effect the miracles cast?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom