• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

inyue

Banned
My first PVP experience on Belfry Luna...

It's sooo easy omg, invading and being invaded.

I'm using +10 Flame Long Sword with some magic (basically great soul arrow) and 2 pieces of light armor to be below 30% cap.

The majority of my enemies are using great shields with heavy armor or mages using some devastating spells that I couldn't get yet. Mages? LOL Just manfight and one combo and they're dead. Knights? Just kite them with your movespeed and kill slowwwwly...

30 wins and less than 5 loses...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
man

fuck the shrine of amana or whatever

ooh let's make the whole floor water and then have random pits around that people can fall in while they're trying to dodge multiple magic bolts

how about go to hell

Vitor711

I like making melee fighters that can cast spells in a pinch. Served me well in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and I think I'm going with some kind of Hex/melee build this time.

Yeah, I've been tempted. Especially with that lightning spell. However, I still have to get over that hump of finding ranged classes in this game 'cheap'. I guess they're in there for a reason and the design would compensate but still.... Always seemed like the cowards way out.
man

ooh let's make the whole floor water and then have random pits around that people can fall in while they're trying to dodge multiple magic bolts

how about go to hell

Yup. Amana was the most aggravating area in the game outside of certain endgame sequences. Very frustrating for a pure melee build. At least I could two-shot all the enemies. I just had to make sure to not get hit while doing it.....

Gazoinks

Man, I really like the design of Lucatiel's set and sword (minus the mask). Too bad it doesn't really work for this character.

Got to
Aldia Keep. Seems like a cool place, like the haunted mansion vibe they've got going on. Got killed by a bunch of mirror phantoms.

Haunted

man

how about go to hell
Every area that makes torches useful (lit torch shows you the ground and walkable areas) is a good area in my book!

zkylon

zkylewd
spells made from boss souls will be traded by the same NPCs who give out the boss weapons
Some can be turned into spells yes, but it's at the same 2 NPC's who make the weapons.

ah ok

i was kinda hoping you wouldn't have to choose cos the collectionist on me feels bad when i don't get everything but it's alright, my character's not a spellcaster anyways

i heard the weapons are pretty bad but i'll prolly still make them since i love reading their descriptions.

xBladeM6x

Holy shit, as a Sorcerer I was able to beat the
Smelter Demon
boss on my first try, because I summoned the
Lacetiel
NPC and that boss just aggro'd her the whole time. Fucking badass. xD

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ah ok

i was kinda hoping you wouldn't have to choose cos the collectionist on me feels bad when i don't get everything but it's alright, my character's not a spellcaster anyways

Well bad news for you, because plenty of boss souls can be used for two different weapons and you can only pick one.

wrongway

Man, I really don't understand how durability works. I thought I'd make a spear-based theme character for fun, but the basic "Spear" from Lenigrast degrades at an alarming rate. Just doing the short loop from the 2nd Forest bonfire ladder to open the gate, which is like 12 guys, my spear gets down to ~16% durability (8/50).

By contrast, a short sword and a rapier, which kill in the same number of hits as my spear, complete the loop at ~50% durability each (30/60 and 23/45 respectively). And in the short sword's case, that includes some wall strikes along the way, whereas my spear and rapier kills were all 'clean.'

¯\(°_o)/¯

Gazoinks

Holy shit, as a Sorcerer I was able to beat the
Smelter Demon
boss on my first try, because I summoned the
Lacetiel
NPC and that boss just aggro'd her the whole time. Fucking badass. xD

Yeah, I did the same thing, thought it was super easy, and then came on here and saw so many people raging. :p Guess it's really hard in melee?

I like how every Dark Souls NPC seems to carry around an extra set of their clothes in case they need to reward random a passerby for their help.

Grief.exe

I wonder if we can roughly calculate the amount of sales using the Steam Achievement percentage for 'The Heir' and Durante's data on how many PC players have completed the game.

There will be quite a bit of error. We can't guarantee the accuracy of either system and I don't know whether 'times cleared' refers to beating the final boss, which would correspond to the achievement, or when you move onto NG+.

The Heir is at 10.5%

Durante has the PC clears at 17,505

That would translate to roughly 170,000 sales. I think that is well below the actual sales numbers with 80K peak concurrent users would reflect.

HRose

Banned
20 hours in and I've yet to use my torch...

My brother is playing with the SweetFX I set up and it makes shadows so dark that whenever he finds a torch it's the most precious event bar none.

I think he died countless times in the wharf area because of enemy ambushes and him falling in the water.

It's like a different game (they should have put torches on some vendor, tho).

Haunted

i heard the weapons are pretty bad but i'll prolly still make them since i love reading their descriptions.
They're not always the relevation you hope them to be, but some are seriously useful.

Boss item spoilers:
Toxic Mist is one of the best Pyromancy spells. The Dragonrider Bow was a huge improvement and help during my run. The Defender's Shield seems even better than my Twin Dragon Greatshield +10

So aside from some of the weapons just being badass to look at and having fun special attacks, there's actually some good stuff in there. Obviously depending on your build, but I think they did a good job providing a variety of boss weapons. There's just tons of bosses in the game, and it's better for it.

Haunted

Man, I really don't understand how durability works. I thought I'd make a spear-based theme character for fun, but the basic "Spear" from Lenigrast degrades at an alarming rate. Just doing the short loop from the 2nd Forest bonfire ladder to open the gate, which is like 12 guys, my spear gets down to ~16% durability (8/50).

By contrast, a short sword and a rapier, which kill in the same number of hits as my spear, complete the loop at ~50% durability each (30/60 and 23/45 respectively). And in the short sword's case, that includes some wall strikes along the way, whereas my spear and rapier kills were all 'clean.'

¯\(°_o)/¯
Different types seem to degrade at different speeds, my Black Knight Halberd always seemed to degrade faster than my Longsword.

There are some ??? marks in some of the areas I can warp too...are those bon fires I haven't found yet?
aye.

The game surfaces the amount of bonfires in each location once you reach a certain part in the story.

I heard scaling's shit in this... I want only enough Strength and Dex to wield the Zweihander then? I pump the other points into like END/VIT/ADP?

Oh, the servers are down?

Good, now I can go and kill the gargoyles in NG+. I've been avoiding that place like the plague.

We will get you yet!

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Do you get Steam achievements while playing offline?
I'm at Vendrick and want to kill him...

xBladeM6x

Yeah, I did the same thing, thought it was super easy, and then came on here and saw so many people raging. :p Guess it's really hard in melee?

I like how every Dark Souls NPC seems to carry around an extra set of their clothes in case they need to reward random a passerby for their help.

I did it first as a melee, and it was impossibly difficult. People who have only played as a Sorcerer don't understand at all how fucking easy they got it. xD

zkylon

zkylewd
They're not always the relevation you hope them to be, but some are seriously useful.

Boss item spoilers:
Toxic Mist is one of the best Pyromancy spells. The Dragonrider Bow was a huge improvement and help during my run. The Defender's Shield seems even better than my Twin Dragon Greatshield +10

So aside from some of the weapons just being badass to look at and having fun special attacks, there's actually some good stuff in there. Obviously depending on your build, but I think they did a good job providing a variety of boss weapons. There's just tons of bosses in the game, and it's better for it.

imma make a trip and get some cool looking boss swords then

Buburibon

tbh as criticism i find it more tedious to have to open it up before launching dks2. like i'll forget and realize it when i load the game and having to connect to servers and all again takes so long i just play it without it for a while.

i guess i could set it to launch with windows but i really wish you could just drop it on the dks2 folder and it just worked without having to be open or anything

You could configure it to start minimized with Windows, and voilà! Here's what has worked for me so far:

1. Check "Run this program as an administrator" under GeDoSaTo's compatibility tab.
2. Create a shortcut to GeDoSaTo and then add "-a" to "Target."
3. Still under the shorcut's properties, click on "Run" and select "Minimized."
4. Paste the shortcut into your Start Up folder, and if that doesn't work, use the Task Scheduler to set it up to run every time Windows starts.

2AdEPT

anyone know what settings I need to change to get rid of the shimering on buildings? I started out on all high settings but quickly took the glare off the water by reducing that to low quality...but whenever I pan left or right with the camera, including buildings and rocks in majula, I get ridiculous amounts of shimmering....also got it DS1 and was able to fix it by boosting v-sync and reducing Depth of field...but it does this on all settings I have tried...even when I turn DOF off?......unless I missed something?

THis is happening whether I use the Durante tool or not, and only gets minimally better turning off the DOF in both Durante's tool and in-game.

BTW Durante is getting a donation pretty quick from this PC user...couldn't get the friggin 1080 P to register on my korean monitor complete with avermedia PCI HDMI set up and was struggling with black lines in 16?0 x 1050. not great for recordings to say the least....but using the tool has enabled me to TELL my friggin Darks souls 2 to give me the right option for my screen (2560x1440P) and I now have that as an option fo resolution when it was not registering even 1080 let alone 1440. I downsampe to 1080 now from 1440 and the recordings are goign to look way better....still not sure why i get a small black border on the sides (for recordings only), but none on the top anymore.
flexile
sentry or
pursuer
(I choose
sentry as pursuer
is fun to do fist only I imagine)
Najka, and Skelly lords
...each gives access to an ascetic. Now I believe it is possible to farm the
grandahl
covenant but that would mean 1M souls memory from co-op and might take longer than killing off the bosses. Would still have to get that
branch of yore
from gutter as well to complete the
grandahl
triage....similar to vageta, im opting to kill the bosses I think for the extra ascetics, rather than attempt the
grandahl
quest. Still something about having all bosses alive for the run makes it more attactive!?!?!?

edit: Uggh I already killed these bosses, and all I have left ot do is get the
awestones
should I really start over now, I want to be different than vageta if possible as he already recorded a vid showing how to do it by killing the bosses....(although he did not record much when he finally did get the seal) anyone think I should start over and leave all bosses standing??!?!?!?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So... torches..

Anyone know of a good place to farm some?

I hate the Gutter with no torches..

Any basic undead with a torch can drop one.

There's one right after the huntsman's copse 2nd bonfire, in the poison moth tree area.

Equip a gold serpent ring, Jester hat, etc, and they should drop pretty frequently.

HeelPower

¯\(°_o)/¯

I don't like the new durability system in the game.

Also this emote at the end is hilarious xD

zkylon

zkylewd
You could configure it to start minimized with Windows, and voilà! Here's what has worked for me so far:

1. Check "Run this program as an administrator" under GeDoSaTo's compatibility tab.
2. Create a shortcut to GeDoSaTo and then add "-a" to "Target."
3. Still under the shorcut's properties, click on "Run" and select "Minimized."
4. Paste the shortcut into your Start Up folder, and if that doesn't work, use the Task Scheduler to set it up to run every time Windows starts.
wow never knew that minimized thing

unfortunately there's no send to tray thingie :/

I have around 33 str and >20dex (SL90 or something).
The thing with the greatsword is that it is just to heavy (at the moment). I am already wearing the
drangelic armor
+ a shield and bastard sword I am just short of 70%.. :)

Yeah just keep it short of that 70% and you're good. Looking through all the great swords I don't think there's any that scale better than C(B at +10) with full +10 that has the same weight as the bastard sword. Still, the stat scaling difference between B and A is pretty big so put more points into vigor and get dat mastodon sword if you want the same moveset.

man

how about go to hell

Yeah it was the second hardest area for me as melee. Looking back I should have invested in a good bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom