• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

inyue

Banned
Yesterday steam was off and I couldn't play. Looks like steam is fucked up again and can't fuckin login on DS server...

Who said to get rid of the GFWL and use the fuckin Steam? At least I could play...

Yeah, it was me.

Jito

Banned
65402-zoolander-crazy-pills-gif-6laR.gif

2 hours of no servers and no one is batting an eyelid...

Seriously man, fuck Smelter demon. What a pile of shit boss. I summoned people about 6 or 7 times before i finally beat him. I dont know if i was underlevelled but my attacks were doing barely anything to him, even tho i was like lvl 70. And naother prime example of some of the stupid game-logic breaking, his attacks that just totally negate a 100% damage resistant shield. Bullshit. That boss is one of those things that in the future when im all like "i think ill play some DS2 again", ill remember that shit, and play something else instead.

Also, what the fuck have they done to the Zweihander?? You can jsut lock on and strafe and attack, cause now it swings in the direction you push the stick? Thats absolute bullshit. My favourite weapon in DS1, ruined

Did you try summoning Lucatiel? They truly powered her up and she can tank the Smelter Demon while you deal damage from afar.

I actually found the fight quite easy... provided I steered clear from the demon and blocked all his attacks. (Which will still take off some health.) I also used the fire protection ring but, mostly, just spammed all ten lightning spears, then started dealing damage with my 3+ bastard sword.

edit:

There is something so sweet about not being able to use text or voice chat in these games. It's part of what sets them apart from the rest.

Sunbros can be so awesome. I summoned one at the Harvest Valley, when you enter that ugly giant mill and he basically guided me around, hitting some places with his sword when I needed to trigger a mechanism or a door and he even lit a torch and pointed at the mill, which you could set on fire. I had no idea you could do that!

But it's fantastic how without words and with a few gestures/moves one can understand people.

Then some more jolly cooperation led to facing that decapitated baneful queen and WE DEFEATED. PRAISE THE SUN!

Also, loving that lightning spear. Pumped up faith a bit just for that spell and it's making things quite more manageable. (I'm going for a STR build I want those big badass armors!)

Pity that after all that I spotted a black phantom when I got back and that asshole destroyed me but "I got back up and pwn'd him" soon enough.

RK9039

Seriously man, fuck Smelter demon. What a pile of shit boss. I summoned people about 6 or 7 times before i finally beat him. I dont know if i was underlevelled but my attacks were doing barely anything to him, even tho i was like lvl 70. And naother prime example of some of the stupid game-logic breaking, his attacks that just totally negate a 100% damage resistant shield. Bullshit. That boss is one of those things that in the future when im all like "i think ill play some DS2 again", ill remember that shit, and play something else instead.

Also, what the fuck have they done to the Zweihander?? You can jsut lock on and strafe and attack, cause now it swings in the direction you push the stick? Thats absolute bullshit. My favourite weapon in DS1, ruined

You need fire resistance and his attacks are really easy to dodge. Also the ultra weapons have changed, but you'll get used to it.

Ultra greatswords in DkS2 are garbage. Actually Pursuers is the only good one. For some idiotic reason they get out damaged by greatswords (ruler sword for instance).

Grief.exe

The Red Wizard;110478616]I'm going to play offline. I hate you Bamco.

It's the Steam Servers having issues, nothing to do with From or Namco.

Valve has not been able to keep up with the massive growth over the last year. Exploded again over the last 6 months.

I hear so many complaints about the Smelter Demon and I didn't have any problems. I just helped people with the boss a couple times, then beat him once I had the attacks down.

I wish I had wrote down what it was that made the fight so easy for me to help other people. If you are getting that frustrated with a fight, look it up a guide on the internet.

All large weapons do the stick thing now. Helps in a lot of situations, massive bosses with weird targeting spots comes to mind, just keep your hand off the stick.

Ultra greatswords in DkS2 are garbage. Actually Pursuers is the only good one. For some idiotic reason they get out damaged by greatswords (ruler sword for instance).

I'm using Pursuers right now and I love it.

Great aesthetics and scales well with Faith on lighting path.

Zafir

Well, it's worth noting the boss takes less damage with more people in the fight. Their way of trying to balance having multiple people, though naturally having more people is still a bonus regardless due to the boss being unable to "aggro" to all three at once.
I hear so many complaints about the Smelter Demon and I didn't have any problems. I just helped people with the boss a couple times, then beat him once I had the attacks down.

I wish I had wrote down what it was that made the fight so easy for me to help other people. If you are getting that frustrated with a fight, look it up a guide on the internet.

All large weapons do the stick thing now. Helps in a lot of situations, massive bosses with weird targeting spots comes to mind, just keep your hand off the stick.
I think it's just luck of the draw honestly.

Like people complained about helping Chariot, but I actually had an easy time with that since I got people who knew the fight.

Smelter demon on the other hand, the host just died every time. Took about 5 or 6 summons before I finally helped someone who didn't die. Then I did it first time when I went to do it myself because of having so much practice, and Lucatiel being a beast(wanted her equip).

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
In my opinion this game seems to be more built around online than the previous ones. In DSI I could solo pretty much every boss without much trouble. In DSII however some of the bosses like the Ruin Sentinels, the Smelter Demon and The Duke's Dear Freja are near impossible to solo for certain builds and are meant for co-op. There's also the limited farming thingie and the changes to hollowed mode, which can get your health reduced to half if you die too much. I don't think I would have gotten very far If I played offline like I did with DSI

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
New OnlyAfro vid

The ending is great
This perfectly describes why people hate smelter: one of the first bosses that forces you to actually learn fighting mechanics. People just want to roll through the whole game with a full tank "block everything" build or auto mage that doesn't know how to dodge. Smelther says "Nope."

Grief.exe

Last Boss Discussion

Nashandara was an incredibly easy boss. I wish they had increased the speed of her scythe swings or forced her to cast more quickly and often.

I would just dodge her swings and two hand attack her. Intermittently destroy the little black fountains that would pop up.

The chimes her soul crafts heavily imply she was born on Manus' destruction.

Haunted

Dat Zelda (well, Link) texture mod, with trailer!

Lots of spoilers for areas and bosses, but still a pretty good effort. :D Your move, Nintendo?

Last Boss Discussion

I would just dodge her swings and two hand attack her. Intermittently destroy the little black fountains that would pop up.
I had a feeling you could destroy those things but I literally just dps-raced her with my best curse and dark-resistant gear and chugged Estus in between combos.
Good times.

eot

Banned
In my opinion this game seems to be more built around online than the previous ones. In DSI I could solo pretty much every boss without much trouble. In DSII however some of the bosses like the Ruin Sentinels, the Smelter Demon and The Duke's Dear Freja are near impossible to solo for certain builds and are meant for co-op. There's also the limited farming thingie and the changes to hollowed mode, which can get your health reduced to half if you die too much. I don't think I would have gotten very far If I played offline like I did with DSI

What builds make those impossible to solo? I'm melee only and I soloed them, none of them are nearly as hard as Manus or O&S in my opinion. The only thing that can make them frustrating is how few iframes dodges in this game have (fuck that change).

If anything, I'd say that's an improvement, actually. Previously, in 2v1s, you had to disable lock-on and aim between two enemies that are somewhat apart if you wanted to hit both in a single swing. Also, in PvP, if you could anticipate roll direction, you could change the swing angle at the last second to punish an early roll by aiming for where you expect them to be as they'd now have to roll past the whole 180-degree swing arc as opposed to 90 degrees. They're simply letting you do this with lock-on now.

What I don't like about the Zweihander now is that the two-handed strong attack doesn't pancake enemies. :x

Ilive1up

am i the only one who didn't have that much trouble on the smelter demon? i had the 100% fire resistant shield, so that basically helped a ton. the thing never did damage to me.

Animator

In Aida's Keep is there a bonfire other than the first one at the beginning of the level? There is a fog door that looks like the boss door but I am scared of going through because the servers are down and that is a lot of enemies to fight in between if I die :(

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I finally get a big fat chunk of free time to sit down without any interruptions and play Dark Souls for a good couple hours and the goddamn servers are down.

C'MON MAN....

eot

Banned
What I don't like about the Zweihander now is that the two-handed strong attack doesn't pancake enemies. :x

It doesn't have the pancake, no (the clubs do though), but the thrust is has is pretty great. I love the range on it and I've seen it knock down some enemies.

Haunted

In Aida's Keep is there a bonfire other than the first one at the beginning of the level? There is a fog door that looks like the boss door but I am scared of going through because the servers are down and that is a lot of enemies to fight in between if I die :(
There is a second bonfire in the level, yes.

hint #1:
It's in one of the side rooms of the long hallway.
hint #2:
It's behind an illusionary wall.
solution:
On the left in the room with the green vials, halfway down the stairs to the acid pit, left hand side.

Grief.exe

There is actually another one, but I wasn't able to find it.

I wonder of you had to use the trolls to bash a wall, but I actually wasn't exploring that thoroughly in there.

That boss is actually pretty easy. Throw down your summon sign if you need a boost of confidence.

Durante

Since working on complicated injection code all the time is a bit hard, I made something very easy in a few minutes - a script which extracts data from the farfire site and stores it periodically.

E.g.:
Code:
############### WIN ################### 
  Cov. members total :          214,396
       Times cleared :           17,505
        Total deaths :       44,346,355
          Total coop :        6,676,797
     Total invasions :        1,338,490
############### PS3 ################### 
  Cov. members total :          168,581
       Times cleared :          280,986
        Total deaths :      225,297,890
          Total coop :        3,762,881
     Total invasions :        1,421,950
############### XBOX ################### 
  Cov. members total :           72,001
       Times cleared :          211,047
        Total deaths :       87,546,635
          Total coop :        1,542,398
     Total invasions :          838,648

I wish I'd had this up since the very beginning, to track the development of the numbers over time.

Now that I think about it, Dark Souls 2 is the first game where I ever had legit connectivity woes.

Is this what Sim City and Diablo 3 players felt?

Since working on complicated injection code all the time is a bit hard, I made something very easy in a few minutes - a script which extracts data from the farfire site and stores it periodically.

E.g.:
Code:

I wish I'd had this up since the very beginning, to track the development of the numbers over time.

PC players already have more covenant members than both console platforms? How?

EDIT: and more co-op summons as well! Their invasion numbers are near PS3 numbers too.

Uthred

First door on the left in the hallway, the one that looks like a lab, take the stairs down in it, half way down theres a hidden door on the left

Haunted

E.g.:
Code:

!!

Only mitigating factor I can think of is that more PS3 and 360 players play offline (and thus wouldn't be recorded on the site), but that's just baseless speculation. I mean, otherwise these numbers are just completely unexpected, especially with the month delay. This bodes really well for the PC sales.

E.g.:
Code:

I wonder how these numbers work, because the Cov. member number makes no sense at all to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom