• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

Not really had fun for last section of the game. So many shitty areas and bosses. Whoever designed having to wear the Kings ring to open doors + the run down to Throne of Want should probably never be allowed to work on these games again.

Garcia

This just means that PC is the home of Jolly Cooperation!

It truly is. If I don't see any summon signs, I usually put mine so I can get some more Co-op. Fortunately, it always works. There will always be someone in the need of some help. Also, PC has successfully beaten both consoles put together in terms of Co-op. No surprise with such a short waiting time between consecutive summons.

PC Total Co-op : 6,676,797 Vs. PS3 + X360 Co-op: 5,305,279

The PC version has only been out for 10 days. Holy shit indeed.

Taruranto

Since working on complicated injection code all the time is a bit hard, I made something very easy in a few minutes - a script which extracts data from the farfire site and stores it periodically.

E.g.:
Code:
############### WIN ################### 
  Cov. members total :          214,396
       Times cleared :           17,505
        Total deaths :       44,346,355
          Total coop :        6,676,797
     Total invasions :        1,338,490
############### PS3 ################### 
  Cov. members total :          168,581
       Times cleared :          280,986
        Total deaths :      225,297,890
          Total coop :        3,762,881
     Total invasions :        1,421,950
############### XBOX ################### 
  Cov. members total :           72,001
       Times cleared :          211,047
        Total deaths :       87,546,635
          Total coop :        1,542,398
     Total invasions :          838,648

I wish I'd had this up since the very beginning, to track the development of the numbers over time.

What the hell? How are PS3 player dying so much lol.

Durante

I wonder how these numbers work, because the Cov. member number makes no sense at all to me.
What do you mean? (Obviously I don't know exactly how the numbers work, I just query them from the server)

I'm now starting to track these numbers every hour, and also details about covenant memberships and preferred coop/pvp areas. Maybe I can make a nice chart or two a month from now.

bigol

Because when he lights his sword on fire, it does fire damage. You need the Grym Shield to negate his fire damage.

You can also infuse a shield with fire to reach 85% fire reduction, it's god enough for me
Making progress with him, reached half of health bar, i can feel victory is near

What do you mean? (Obviously I don't know exactly how the numbers work, I just query them from the server)

They seem really low to me?

The total number of people in covenants on PS3 is 168,581.
Either people just never join any covenants or I'm having unrealistig expectations of how many copies the game sold.

Durante

They seem really low to me?

The total number of people in covenants on PS3 is 168,581.
Either people just never join any covenants or I'm having unrealistig expectations of how many copies the game sold.
Yeah, they do seem lower than expected on all platforms. I don't know, maybe more people play offline than we'd think?

i haven't played on a 360 in like 6 years but low coop and invasions might be related to people not having xbox live gold?
Sure. But it also seems obvious from the numbers that the 360 is the least popular platform for DS2 overall.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
durante, is there a version of your fancy mod for idiots like myself that dont want to mess with a lot of settings and whatnot? DSfix was quite simple to use back in the day

Yeah, they do seem lower than expected on all platforms. I don't know, maybe more people play offline than we'd think?

But then the other stats would have to be a lot lower as well, wouldn't they? Let's assume number of people in covenants is total number of people who play online, with the number of recorded deaths every player died ~1300 times on average.
Or every player beat the game 1.6 times. They don't add up.

A comparison between platforms and over time would definitely be interesting, but I don't belive (understand) the absolute numbers they're reporting

It's the Steam Servers having issues, nothing to do with From or Namco.

Valve has not been able to keep up with the massive growth over the last year. Exploded again over the last 6 months.

My bad. In that case, I still heavily dislike Namco for Tales reasons. I'm now disappointed with Steam. For shame GabeN.

Maulik

Are the servers down for anyone else? Can't seem to get online and I have gotten too used to all the online features to venture without them.

I never see anyone mention Llewellyn armor except me.

Do you guys just not KNOW?

Or is it really that hard to get? My first playthrough on PS3 I got all three pieces without even knowing it was a thing you should go for, and on PC I managed to farm it without a big deal.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

Nah I got a ton of pieces off of the horse statues.

No crown = no deal

Doing my first NG+ run, so far I've one shotted-two shotted most bosses. Flexile was annoying but my halberd disposed of the two bozo's quickly and then the boss went back to being lolwat status. I think my company of champion run was harder.

Durante

But then the other stats would have to be a lot lower as well, wouldn't they? Let's assume number of people in covenants is total number of people who play online, with the number of recorded deaths every player died ~1300 times on average.
Or every player beat the game 1.6 times. They don't add up.
The coop/invasions numbers seems to add up about as you would expect with the players in covenants. And maybe on PS3 the average beat number is really 1.6? (what with it being out for longer and some people going to NG+++++)

But yeah, the deaths don't work out. Maybe they pad them to make the game seem more "hardcore" ;)

durante, is there a version of your fancy mod for idiots like myself that dont want to mess with a lot of settings and whatnot? DSfix was quite simple to use back in the day
I don't think GeDoSaTo is any harder to use than DSFix, really. Easier, in a way, since you can unzip it anywhere and it doesn't need to be in the game directory. Just follow the instructions here and direct questions to this thread.

Overdoziz

Banned
I know I do, all the time. Can't go anywhere without a shield. In pvp its starting to look dangerous however ;)
I've found myself hardly using shields, especially during boss fights. I just put on something light for the fast roll and two-hand my sword and I'm ready to go. Pretty much the opposite of how I played my first playthrough of DS1.

Shields are pretty important early game until you have a good selection of weapons to use. You're unlikely to be able to take a group of 3+ enemies on without a shield or some sort of great weapon with a sweep. Shields are excellent for learning bosses or multi boss fights, but later on if you get hit with your shield up, you're just drawing the fight out instead of punishing the boss if you were to dodge the attack.

Durante

Shields are pretty important early game until you have a good selection of weapons to use. You're unlikely to be able to take a group of 3+ enemies on without a shield or some sort of great weapon with a sweep. Shields are excellent for learning bosses or multi boss fights, but later on if you get hit with your shield up, you're just drawing the fight out instead of punishing the boss if you were to dodge the attack.
I just took down a group of 6 enemies in a constrained space without a shield or even a melee weapon. Sadly Shadowplay wasn't on :/

Anyway, good rolling makes most things possible. Of course, not quite efficient, or safe for that matter.

I just took down a group of 6 enemies in a constrained space without a shield or even a melee weapon. Sadly Shadowplay wasn't on :/

Anyway, good rolling makes most things possible. Of course, not quite efficient, or safe for that matter.

plz hex is scum tier.

I'm interested in seeing the stat distribution of player's attributes. I use to think most people played str melee but there seems to be a wide distribution.

-MD-

Shields make the game crazy easy. I haven't tried playing without one for more than 2 minutes but I very rarely die because they absorb everything.

Even cheese most bosses with them, just have it raised until you learn their attack pattern and win.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think GeDoSaTo is any harder to use than DSFix, really. Easier, in a way, since you can unzip it anywhere and it doesn't need to be in the game directory. Just follow the instructions here and direct questions to this thread.

tbh as criticism i find it more tedious to have to open it up before launching dks2. like i'll forget and realize it when i load the game and having to connect to servers and all again takes so long i just play it without it for a while.

i guess i could set it to launch with windows but i really wish you could just drop it on the dks2 folder and it just worked without having to be open or anything

xBladeM6x

Shields make the game crazy easy. I haven't tried playing without one for more than 2 minutes but I very rarely die because they absorb everything.

Even cheese most bosses with them, just have it raised until you learn their attack pattern and win.

I normally play a sword and board warrior, but playing on a sorcerer has definitely given me a whole new appreciation for dodge rolling and running away. xD

-MD-

tbh as criticism i find it more tedious to have to open it up before launching dks2. like i'll forget and realize it when i load the game and having to connect to servers and all again takes so long i just play it without it for a while.

i guess i could set it to launch with windows but i really wish you could just drop it on the dks2 folder and it just worked without having to be open or anything

Mine is just 24/7 minimized. I don't turn off my computer so it's always there.

Hayabusi

I never play without a shield. :)
But I am more of a "play it safe" guy and this is my first Souls game where I made significant progress.
Started DS1 on PC and PS3 and will continue after I finish DS2.

Something else: Have the bastard sword on +7 and not sure whether to change to another one. (Quite satisfied with it actually). I am always afraid to waste Titanite..

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I carry a shield around as a security blanket, but my early experience in the game, getting mobbed by grunts and having all my stamina drained even while blocking, has trained me to evade and counter rather than block in most situations.

xBladeM6x

But I am more of a "play it safe" guy and this is my first Souls game where I made significant progress.

Something else: Have the bastard sword on +7 and not sure whether to change to another one. (Quite satisfied with it actually). I am always afraid to waste Titanite..

You'd be quite interested in the Claymore, if you like the Bastard Sword.

Titanite is pretty easy to come by, eventually you can buy it off vendors for an affordable price. If you're not pumping a lot of points into strength you could stick with your bastard sword. The greatsword (
found in no man's wharf, building on the highest hill full of those green things that hate fire
has better stat scaling and damage, but is a little heavier and has a different moveset.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You'd be quite interested in the Claymore, if you like the Bastard Sword.

That would be kind of a lateral move, and sort of redundant. What I mean is, if he's getting a little bored of the bastard sword I don't think the claymore would provide much variety. It's an excellent weapon, of course, but the only difference is the poke vs. the overhead smash, right? Probably not worth upgrading from scratch at this point.

You'll be happy to know he's totally optional, then. :)

I only found this out afterwards :lol

Oh well, got it in the end with 2 helpers. All my weapons were just doing tiny damage to him tho. like literally 40-50 per hit.
I went back afterwards and was shocked to find
persuer
there. Fucker killed me about 15 times but i got him in the end the bastard

Gvaz

Banned
Cool thing to note, Rosabeth's Dress, the Barrel, the shadow claws all have tooltips but you can't equip them :V

Vitor711

The only true path is the path of Intellect, the path of Sorcery.

I have never done anything other than melee build with shields and high End since I imported DeS a little after release. In fact, I literally have no idea how one would cast magic in these games, not even making use of the pyromancy in DkS.

Maybe I should use a Soul Vessel and respec to sorcerer for NG+ now.... I dunno man, feels weird. Always felt like the Souls games were build around melee. But with the increasing amount of BS enemies (giants/homing missiles), I'm starting to feel less bad about gaming the system.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mine is just 24/7 minimized. I don't turn off my computer so it's always there.
i just find it annoying cos i don't like have too many windows between which to alt tab

in the end for me particularly ends up not being worth the hassle since i don't use any of the cool stuff and just want it for the YOU DEFEATED texture mod

and today it's been kinda chugging with durantemod for some reason even if before it didn't

very weird

like it's a great mod, it's just i wish it was completely automated and could be like sent to tray or something

Do you think any build is viable in this game? I heard of people saying that DEX builds kinda suck

Since you can beat the game naked on SL1, yes, any build is viable. Some are stronger than others and DEX is kind of weak. If you like the weapons and their movesets it's really no big problem though.

Hayabusi

Titanite is pretty easy to come by, eventually you can buy it off vendors for an affordable price. If you're not pumping a lot of points into strength you could stick with your bastard sword. The greatsword (
found in no man's wharf, building on the highest hill full of those green things that hate fire
has better stat scaling and damage, but is a little heavier and has a different moveset.

I have around 33 str and >20dex (SL90 or something).
The thing with the greatsword is that it is just to heavy (at the moment). I am already wearing the
drangelic armor
+ a shield and bastard sword I am just short of 70%.. :)

epmode

I have never done anything other than melee build with shields and high End since I imported DeS a little after release. In fact, I literally have no idea how one would cast magic in these games, not even making use of the pyromancy in DkS.

Maybe I should use a Soul Vessel and respec to sorcerer for NG+ now.... I dunno man, feels weird. Always felt like the Souls games were build around melee. But with the increasing amount of BS enemies (giants/homing missiles), I'm starting to feel less bad about gaming the system.

I like making melee fighters that can cast spells in a pinch. Served me well in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and I think I'm going with some kind of Hex/melee build this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom