• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeBobby

2 bellbros and an invader?

Oh, Dark Souls 2, you're too kind.

I killed the bellbros and had the invader down to a sliver of health before he dealt the finishing blow.

Levyne

Banned
Oh man, I had to take on a certain boss in a cheap way in NG+ :(

Looking glass knight. I could take on the Human players, but doing that I would always lose Berhart, who I need to keep alive. Yeah yeah, I could just get his wins elsewhere, but I don't really want to use a bonfire thing.

he's a lot easier with the NPC-enemy summons :V

sirap

Why does this game feel extremely rushed towards the end? Levels felt like they've gotten shorter and the boss fights became extremely easy.

Gazoinks

So,
Guardian Dragon.
Most hilariously easy boss yet. Maybe I'm just getting better, but the levels feel like they're getting shorter and shorter. Which is a shame, because I like a lot of the design and atmosphere, but they're over in a wink.

Garcia

Why does this game feel extremely rushed towards the end? Levels felt like they've gotten shorter and the boss fights became extremely easy.

It's not just towards the end, though. There's a lingering scent throughout the game reminding you that something went really wrong during development.

Sober

Oh yeah, it was rough. I couldn't make it through without using the npc summon as a distraction. However, I came back later with poison arrows and a bow, then it was a stroll in the park.
Yeah you definitely need to start using the bow to snipe the casters. I don't know how else you can do it.

Oh, totally lost 50k souls in the Undead Crypt. :(

Tilian

Banned
Have people speculated if the new linear layout is to stop people from getting certain weapons early on? (like the Scythe in the Catacombs etc.).

I'd love to do a
Blue Flame
build for pve, but it's an end-game weap, so no dice. Half the fun of DS1 for me was trying new builds with gear you could get relatively early one. Pisser.

Grief.exe

So,
Guardian Dragon.
Most hilariously easy boss yet. Maybe I'm just getting better, but the levels feel like they're getting shorter and shorter. Which is a shame, because I like a lot of the design and atmosphere, but they're over in a wink.

That fight is an appetizer for the next area. A warm up if you will.

Have people speculated if the new linear layout is to stop people from getting certain weapons early on? (like the Scythe in the Catacombs etc.).

I'd love to do a
Blue Flame
build for pve, but it's an end-game weap, so no dice. Half the fun of DS1 for me was trying new builds with gear you could get relatively early one. Pisser.

That was one of the best parts of Dark Souls. Manipulating the game and creating a cool build around a rare weapon.

I don't get the point of gating such content as if the player knows where it is and has the skill to acquire it, then it doesn't really matter anyway.

Uthred

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "towards the end" but while it sped up a little I thought the pacing was generally decent, certainly in comparison to its pre-decessors. The boss fights throughout were fairly easy (especially triple teaming them via co-op) so I also didnt notice much of a difference there.

That was one of the best parts of Dark Souls. Manipulating the game and creating a cool build around a rare weapon.

I don't get the point of gating such content as if the player knows where it is and has the skill to acquire it, then it doesn't really matter anyway.

A lot of the design, including stuff like gating weapons, soul memory, etc. could be argued to be there in order to push people towards NG/NG+/etc. If you want to try out a cool build around a rare weapon the game seems to be pushing you to do that in NG (especially as you get up to three respecs per normal run through). Similarly Soul Memory arguably means that theres no way/point to stopping at an arbitrary SL, you might as well keep on pushing through PvE and similarly levelled PvP opponents will congregate (how it works in practice is a different thing). If you take into account the
coffin
then theres nothing stopping you "re-rolling" to any build around any weapon you want, with the provisio that it'll be more of a challenge because you'll have to do it in NG onwards.

Raic

Neo Member
What in the world, I am in grave of the of the saints and I got summoned as a phantom. So this guy keeps waving at me and I'm staying back ready to attack him, not wanting to get lured in to enemies. He kept waving and waving and turned his back and let me get right next to him. I follow him reluctantly and dispatch random rats here and there. He led me to a fog gate, wat. Objective complete. I am so confused.

He is in PVP covenant which instead of invading other players, pulls other players into his world. This covenant also makes these areas mobs his allies in killing you. (there are two areas that this covenant uses)

burgerdog

Yes, I am familiar with the rat covenant, I am in it. I was just confused. he led me to the second bonfire instead of trying to kill me.

Gazoinks

It just occurred to me that the way you could do a "Soul Greatsword build" and not having it be mind-numbingly boring is to have a Blue Flame build and only attune Soul Greatsword as a replacement strong attack. Obviously not the best build, but could be neat for a themed "magic swordsman" thing.

It just occurred to me that the way you could do a "Soul Greatsword build" and not having it be mind-numbingly boring is to have a Blue Flame build and only attune Soul Greatsword as a replacement strong attack. Obviously not the best build, but could be neat for a themed "magic swordsman" thing.

Could be fun to try out. Where does the blue flame drop again?

sirap

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "towards the end" but while it sped up a little I thought the pacing was generally decent, certainly in comparison to its pre-decessors. The boss fights throughout were fairly easy (especially triple teaming them via co-op) so I also didnt notice much of a difference there.

I'm mostly bothered by how little lore is given at later levels. And that last boss, they couldn't have made the journey there any less linear @_@

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ugh!!! Just wasted 40 min attacking a wall trying to break thee Santier s spear, only to do something stupid and die and now I'm back up to 500.

Is there no better way?

Grief.exe

From the
ghost mage guys in the Undead Crypt. They spawn infinitely till you destroy their tomb, so they're super easy to farm. Ended up getting two myself, among other stuff.

I have 6 or 7 lol. There is a spot where you drop down into a massive spawn point, I would kill them multiple times before venturing out and destroying their tomb.

Forkball

Steam is always losing connection or something when I play. it's so frustrating. I just want to bellbro. This weekend is like my only free weekend to go nuts on the game and half the time I can't even play.

Zeliard

Pvp is so fun holy shit

The Blood and Dragon covenants are terrific. It's enjoyable being a part of those covenants and playing against those players. Iron Keep PvP is awesome as a result.

The Bell and especially Rat covenants, I could do without. I'll admit to taking part of the Bell covenant for a time to get some titanite chunks, but in general I don't think it makes things more enjoyable. The Rat covenant is just blegh.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
It's not just towards the end, though. There's a lingering scent throughout the game reminding you that something went really wrong during development.

Don't know i'm 50 hours in and the last time I had this much fun was the last souls game. Nothing even touches this series right now!

Grief.exe

Don't know i'm 50 hours in and the last time I had this much fun was the last souls game. Nothing even touches this series right now!

Can't wait to see what From can pull off when they are fully dedicated to current-gen development.

Dark Souls III day one on PC, launching with the console version.

Ultryx

Pvp is so fun holy shit

I really dislike it because there's common lag for me (only in this game) and I end up getting back stabbed when I'm 5 feet away from a character. That or they play "catch up" on my screen and back stab me at mach 5 haha.

Unless there's a separate PvP area and you're not just talking about invasions!

Can't wait to see what From can pull off when they are fully dedicated to current-gen development.

We don't have hard numbers, but I think PC has sold well beyond expectations and I would not be surprised if it was the number 1 platform. The farfire stats seem to indicate it is clobbering the console versions. DS3 will have sky high expectations with last Gen put of the mix.

Kalnos

Banned

I hope you're right and they keep running two different series. There's no way I'm going to pay a yearly fee for PS+ or XBL. ;s

Kemal86

I have 1.6million Soul Memory and I can't seem to get myself summoned anywhere. Trying to farm up those Sunlight Medals. I'm near the end of NG, but I've gone back and tried various places. Any suggestions on where to plop my summon sign? Seems like it's harder to find a good spot since we can't rely on Soul Level anymore.

finalflame

I have 1.6million Soul Memory and I can't seem to get myself summoned anywhere. Trying to farm up those Sunlight Medals. I'm near the end of NG, but I've gone back and tried various places. Any suggestions on where to plop my summon sign? Seems like it's harder to find a good spot since we can't rely on Soul Level anymore.

Towards the end of NG I always put mine
in the Throne of Want, right at the beginning of the long walkway. At worst, I got a summon every 5-6 mins, sometimes way faster.

I want to join other PVP covenants but I'm already rank 2 in the Bells. I just want to grind to 3 and then join the blood covenant again.

How does that work, anyway? Do I use the Red Soapstone, Cracked Red Eyes, or either to get kills?

Going to the castle now. Any tips / suggestions for my stats?
14122009923_c4d3d0e134_b.jpg

EDIT: Also what Boss souls can I consume with relative safety? The ones that aren't important.

Raic

Neo Member
Towards the end of NG I always put mine
in the Throne of Want, right at the beginning of the long walkway. At worst, I got a summon every 5-6 mins, sometimes way faster.

Another one is
The Rotten
atleast I get summoned every 3-5 minutes there even at >2mil, just leave at the closest bonfire.

Vaporak

I wanted to do that ever since I saw an early preview with the spell in it, but don't you only get one copy of Soul Greatsword per playthrough?

impact

Banned
Pvp is so fun holy shit

Not as fun when you get in the 5+ SM bracket. I had to just keep leveling past 150 because soul level means nothing in online anymore and I was gimp against the SL200s

Soul memory makes the online in this game awful, along with the bad hitboxes and getting hit by air.

Going to the castle now. Any tips / suggestions for my stats?
14122009923_c4d3d0e134_b.jpg

your build is a mess. I recommend a respec with some focus.

Garcia

Explain yourself, please.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having an incredible time but the world just doesn't come together in the same way it did in Dark Souls. There are a lot of unpolished locations that proved to be very distracting the first time I played the game when it got released on the PS3.

This is my 3rd. playthrough so I'm pretty used to go through the ugliest places of DS2 without cringing as I did when everything was fresh new. Texture repetition in some places that reeks of a rushed schedule, too many bonfires kill any sense of threat and danger (which also speaks of a lack of vision), rehashed locations that don't get even close to capturing the escence of the original (
The Gutter
), uninspired bosses, a world that is just way too big for its own good. Some places are down right beautiful and others just don't fit in the world. It's sad because it reminds you that it's just a really entertaining videogame rather than a Dark Souls sequel.

The game ate their asses during development. The lack of polish in many areas speaks loads about it.

Fortunately, the most important part of the game remains solid enough to guarantee a truly gratifying journey. My complaints have more to do with the lack of cohesion of DS2's world, the art direction being too disjointed and the overall schizophrenic feel of the game.

I think it's fair to call the game a big success (regardless of its many shortcomings) because, despite the heavy criticism, it stands as a very entertaining product.

impact

Banned
But on what?

Particularly not trying to level up STR/DEX/INT/FTH

Skills like VGR/VIT/END/ADP everyone needs some but you've got a bunch of wasted points into your magic. Focus on one kind of magic, if any, since you seem to like STR/DEX. When I went STR/DEX on PS3 I didn't level any magic stats.

Hm, I stopped raising my endurance at 20 because that's when it stopped giving me 2 points per level. Not quiet satisfied with that. Where do you guys usually stop?

I love END man, sky's the limit! I like it to be the same length as my health bar! :p

But really, if you're not happy with 20, 30 is the next logical stopping-point. 40 is getting a little nuts, even for someone like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom