• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Finally had some free time this weekend to play some DSII. Made some good progress to the Huntman's Corpse area. Finally found one of those
Pharro's stones and went back to The Lost Bastille level and unlocked the area that takes me to the Gargoyles. My goodness that area fucking sucks. I keep getting invaded non-stop. Is this some sort of invasion area or something? Then when I finally made it to the boss, I couldn't believe it looked almost exactly like the Gargoyles from DS1 until the 3rd, and the 4th appeared. Holy shit, how in the hell are you supposed to kill them all?! Died once and stopped playing for the night. I'll wait until I upgrade my weapon some more before tackling the Gargoyles again.

It's not too bad. The area you fight them is large enough (and the bosses slow enough) that you can essentially reset the battle every time by running to the other end. They'll clump up and go after you, but you'll have enough time to lifegem or whatever. Just don't let them surround you and chip away.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah that fight is pretty much all about dps. It was much harder on ng+ with the added health. And I was surprised in exactly the same way you were, haha

Not really, it's about controlling the amount of Gargoyles out any time.

Each Gargoyle spawns according to the total damage the boss health bar receives. If you always kill one at a time without damaging the others, you'll have no more than 3 out at any given time. You'll get 4 when you spread out your damage between each Gargoyle. I'm not sure if more than 4 can spawn because once I clued in on the pattern I always took them down one at a time.

Toxi

Banned
Finally had some free time this weekend to play some DSII. Made some good progress to the Huntman's Corpse area. Finally found one of those
Pharro's stones and went back to The Lost Bastille level and unlocked the area that takes me to the Gargoyles. My goodness that area fucking sucks. I keep getting invaded non-stop. Is this some sort of invasion area or something? Then when I finally made it to the boss, I couldn't believe it looked almost exactly like the Gargoyles from DS1 until the 3rd, and the 4th appeared. Holy shit, how in the hell are you supposed to kill them all?! Died once and stopped playing for the night. I'll wait until I upgrade my weapon some more before tackling the Gargoyles again.
That part is not mandatory, but it makes another part of the game a hell of a lot easier.

Try focusing on one at a time if you do try it again.
I thought it was just a 3 little pigs joke.
OH SHIT I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT

THEY'RE EVEN NEXT TO THE HOUSE OF BRICK!

Zeliard

If you burn a bonfire ascetic at the Undead Purgatory bonfire, does it only match you up with NG+ players in the Brotherhood of Blood arena?

Orayn

If you burn a bonfire ascetic at the Undead Purgatory bonfire, does it only match you up with NG+ players in the Brotherhood of Blood arena?

People have done some testing and come to the conclusion that matchmaking only pays attention to Soul Memory right now, no Soul Level or no NG+ status.

Timu

I'm back at this game now, just got to SL 120 with 78 deaths and about 30 hours of gameplay and just killed Old Dragonslayer and The Duke's Dear Freja on my 1st try.

Also Lightning Spear is overpowered as hell when you upgrade your chime, lol. Been killing enemies in 1-3 hits with it recently.

Mohonky

Is your weapon still broken? The icon (in the bottom left of your screen) will have a gray slash across it and the bar under it will be empty.

If you need a backup, there's a dagger in Things Betwixt you could go back and get.

Fuck me.

Alright solved more than half my problems; as my Sword was broken in Things Betwixt, I was doing 7pts of damage to enemies in Forest of the Giants. But there was fuck all I could do about it because I couldnt fucking repair it or get another, so I was starting on the back foot. Now I am killing enemies with 2 blows rather than the 30+ it was taking before.

Seriously if I had known that to begin with I wouldnt have fucking bothered and started a new game earlier.......now I just have to hope I can learn to repair shit before this sword breaks again.

Also on my other game, i did pick up a dagger but the game wouldnt let me use it.

Jintor

Fuck me.

Alright solved more than half my problems; as my Sword was broken in Things Betwixt, I was doing 7pts of damage to enemies in Forest of the Giants. But there was fuck all I could do about it because I couldnt fucking repair it or get another, so I was starting on the back foot. Now I am killing enemies with 2 blows rather than the 30+ it was taking before.

Seriously if I had known that to begin with I wouldnt have fucking bothered and started a new game earlier.......now I just have to hope I can learn to repair shit before this sword breaks again.

you're going to want to buy a key from the first merchant you meet. It'll help you out later.

M'lady....
If only I had a fedora.
tKaQtOB.png

Orayn

Fuck me.

Also on my other game, i did pick up a dagger but the game wouldnt let me use it.

Keep exploring the Forest. You'll eventually come across a lady selling things, including a key for 1000 souls. But the key, and open the door of the building in Majula where the burly green guy is sitting. He's the blacksmith, and he'll fix your broken sword.

Booshka

No, but it does allow you to fight the
chariot boss again and get the amazing Cloranthy +2

NG is separately matched from NG+ and beyond.

Toxi

Banned
You can see stat requirements at the bottom of the equipment screen as numbers next to the stat symbols; if a number is red, you don't reach that requirement and your damage will be terrible. Generally weapons have only strength and dexterity requirements, but there are a few with intelligence or faith requirements too. This tower shield requires 30 strength to wield and has no other requirements.

alazz

Just found my first hacker in Belfry Luna. :p

The jerk's every attack triggered a back stab from any distance and he was invulnerable. What the hell, why do people do this? How is this even fun for them...

Zeliard

No, but it does allow you to fight the
chariot boss again and get the amazing Cloranthy +2

Yep, already did that, which is why I was wondering. I've burned a few bonfire ascetics to get NG+ stuff, like that ring, Chaos Blade, and such. Got the Ring of Blades +2 again as well. :)

sixghost

If I have an enemy at 11 o clock and one at 1 o clock my options are attack forward and hope my swing radius is large enough. Otherwise how does one 'get good' when the controller only allows 45 degree increments of movement?

If you're in a bad situation, don't be afraid to disengage. Unlock-on from the enemy and run away, then fight them once they've chased you and bunched up. These games aren't about twitch reactions, they're about thinking through each fight and learning when you die.

pooch

Neo Member
Some question for the experts:

1. Does the counter stat of a weapon apply to backstabs and ripostes as well as counter hits?

2. Does the counter stat boost also apply to any poison or bleed the weapon has?

The reason I ask is I'm considering adding bleed to Ricard's Rapier. Would this be a waste of its 140 counter - so I should infuse with fire/elec instead - or is it a good idea? Comments and suggestions welcome!

Gazoinks

Y'know, I have to wonder if they were hard for time and had to cut down a lot of the last third of the game. It's not as bad as Dark 1 from a gameplay perspective, but the story feels weirdly incomplete from that point forwards.

Why do I have to talk to a random dragon and then enter some memories? What exactly does Nashandra want and why did she string me along only to randomly decide to attack me? What exactly is the significance of the Emerald Herald and why can she level me? What's with the "Nito" races? What is the deal with the throne, exactly?
etc.

Did like how it tied into Dark 1's ending though, although
I'm not crazy about how it kind of removed the ambiguity of relighting the fire vs snuffing it out.

sixghost

Some question for the experts:

1. Does the counter stat of a weapon apply to backstabs and ripostes as well as counter hits?

2. Does the counter stat boost also apply to any poison or bleed the weapon has?

The reason I ask is I'm considering adding bleed to Ricard's Rapier. Would this be a waste of its 140 counter - so I should infuse with fire/elec instead - or is it a good idea? Comments and suggestions welcome!
Counter hits and critical hits are two different things and use two different modifiers. I don't think the crit rating is actually shown in game though.

I'd be surprised if a crit did more poison build up, so you really just want to most damage possible for crits. If you are backstabbing or parrying a lot, it's really not a bad idea to upgrade a dagger and keep it as a secondary main hand weapon. They do a ton of damage on crits and weigh almost nothing.

Are there any known plans of a major texture pack? Some real grody stuff in places. There's a really nice hallowing upgrade on the nexus but nothing else.

Uthred

Does "heavy" gear drain stamina regardless of your load percentage? Threw on
Havels chest
and my stamina seems to get drained much quicker (all I wanted was the
Alonne Captain Set
but the chest refused to drop on this guy)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So what's this
dark lurker
boss I've heard about? Does it have to do with finding the old guy 3 times? I only found him twice on my first char :/

pooch

Neo Member
Counter hits and critical hits are two different things and use two different modifiers. I don't think the crit rating is actually shown in game though.

I'd be surprised if a crit did more poison build up, so you really just want to most damage possible for crits. If you are backstabbing or parrying a lot, it's really not a bad idea to upgrade a dagger and keep it as a secondary main hand weapon. They do a ton of damage on crits and weigh almost nothing.

Thanks for the answer. So to be clear the number displayed in game is just for counters then? So what do you advise I do with Ricard's Rapier? you said crits dont give boosted poison/bleed damage but do counters?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
this door

i didn't like anything that happened behind this door

Ahahahaha :D

I'm kinda stuck at
the stupid dragon
right now, didn't figure out any strategy yet -.-

zkylon

zkylewd
If you don't open the chest to get those crappy bolts nothing happens.
???

Does "heavy" gear drain stamina regardless of your load percentage? Threw on
Havels chest
and my stamina seems to get drained much quicker (all I wanted was the
Alonne Captain Set
but the chest refused to drop on this guy)
i think it recharges slower, rather than drain faster. i read somewhere that every 10% it's a bit slower

Is stamina drain from rolling percentage-based? I reallocated my points to get more stamina, I can do a lot more consecutive hits but I don't seem to be able to roll any more (unless my short-term memory really fails me).

Echoplx

So what's this
dark lurker
boss I've heard about? Does it have to do with finding the old guy 3 times? I only found him twice on my first char :/

Yeah, you need to find him 3 times and play through 3 "dungeons" to get to the boss, gives you the best chime for faith builds but mostly pointless other than that.

Boss is pretty easy, some of the dungeons themselves can be hard though.

ugoo18

Not sure about the longsword, but infuse your MLGS and Catalyst with Magic. It'll improve the Magic scaling without reducing anything since it has no phys damage.

Ahh alright can they be infused multiple times or is it one single infusion?

Also how many attunement slots would you say is sufficient?

Currently have 9.

impact

Banned

Currently have 9.

I have 4 and I do just fine. CSS, HSM, Soul Geyser and the best one Soul Greatsword

I'm more of a melee mage though. I like to have some pride.

Gazoinks

Currently have 9.

It's a single Infusion, the crafting system's a little different than in Dark 1. Everything uses Titanite to upgrade (minus special weapons), and you only infuse things once to change their properties. Much more flexible.

I ran with 7 slots (30 ATT + the ring) on my MLGS build and found that to be plenty. Enough for two doses of Soul Spear, a Soul Geyser, Soul Mass, Crystal Soul Mass, and two Great Heavy Soul Arrows. You may want more if you want to keep some support spells like Repair and Yearn without losing combat effectiveness though.

JustinBB7

What's up with the 1 shot instakilling dark spells people use? I have my shield up, full health, and it instakills me in 1 shot. I saw a video of it and thought it was a joke or something.

But getting the spell in Bellkeepers and PvPing a lot, I've been one shotted by it many times now. Seems pretty OP, it's huge too.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's the door in Brightstone Cove right? Where you get mobbed by spiders? If you don't open the chest in that room (it contains heavy bolts), the spiders stay in their holes and you can walk to the boss door unmolested.

oh wow is that true?

why did nobody tell me this before T_T

Garcia

My summoning problems seem to be over. I just spent 2 hours sunbroing in the Iron Keep. Packed enough souls to jump 7 levels up to SL 201. Also had a non laggy PvP match which I enjoyed big time. The guy was fair, we fought melee only, no spells. 2nd. invader I've actually enjoyed battling (out of 50+ invasions so far).

Booshka

What's up with the 1 shot instakilling dark spells people use? I have my shield up, full health, and it instakills me in 1 shot. I saw a video of it and thought it was a joke or something.

But getting the spell in Bellkeepers and PvPing a lot, I've been one shotted by it many times now. Seems pretty OP, it's huge too.
Dark Transgressor's Leather shield and rolling are your friends.

From seems to really like the super strong spells that you just lock on and press a button, and do the same amount of damage as 3-4 hits from a fully upgraded weapon. For how amazing the melee combat is in Souls games, it's remarkable how OP and broken casting continues to be in these games. Not even the damage, or stat allocation none of that, literally just skill of execution is so remarkably low comparatively to the damage output.

Dark Transgressor's Leather shield and rolling are your friends.

From seems to really like the super strong spells that you just lock on and press a button, and do the same amount of damage as 3-4 hits from a fully upgraded weapon. For how amazing the melee combat is in Souls games, it's remarkable how OP and broken casting continues to be in these games. Not even the damage, or stat allocation none of that, literally just skill of execution is so remarkably low comparatively to the damage output.

Yeah can't say I really understand their design philosophy with how hard magic hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom