• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a guy I summoned keep using some item that made a loud piercing woman's scream. This was amplified by the fact I was in the Crypt. What the heck was it?

I didn't find jumping in DS2 problematic.The option to press a separate button while holding down the dash button made it much more convenient.(pressing L3 while holding O when using a DualShock )

It would be sweet if they make a separate jumping button though.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think jumping works a lot better in DS2 than the first. And I was saying I'd rather have it that way than how it works in Zelda, which is just automatically jumping when you run off an edge.

2AdEPT

I can't stand this beginning area, I've died so much that the enemies have stopped respawning. Accuse me of just plain sucking, but the other games' beginning stages never were this cheap or frustrating. I feel like I'm going insane or something.

Yeah I'm not sure what to say....as a vet I noticed a marked difficulty spike in the early game as well....so I can understand people's frustration. There are so many important places to put points now. One friend I was looking forward to inviting on to my channel (because I know he was able to wreck DS1) to do co-op and stuff quit the game and is playing dota 2 instead and not even answering my messages and tips...

All I can say is that it is not that hard, nor cheap. Upgrade weapons, stay light, use co-op to get souls early (requires getting to the second bonfire in the forest.) Kill the
heide (white)
knight sitting near the tree and make sure to get in a freee backstab at the start. I was instructing the friend on how to speed run by the enemies in Heide's so that he could get the ring of
binding
which reduces hollowness...but he had some excuse why he could not do it...even though I knew it could be done as I just did it myself, albeit with a lighter character....he was intent on being a slow tank which hurt him as well. Use throwing knives and firebombs and bows and arrows.

If you are still having difficulty watch the early episodes on my channel.

Both are also a result of the poise you get on rolling. in DS2 you can get hit in a roll and complete the roll animation without getting knocked out of it like in previous games. The down side is situations like these where you get clipped by a grab, but you complete the roll animation only to have your model get teleported back because you can't poise through grabs.

That is a good point. Poise seems to be a non-factor for whatever reason. I guess they wanted to nerf it from DS1, but now it's pointless.

However, in the case of the grab. Is it a really a result of a lack of poise, or is it because the grab attack results in the kill animation on contact regardless, causing the abrupt teleport back.

Persona7

Banned
I usually throw a pile of prism stones on the bridge in the iron keep and when I summon a invader they usually stop and look while I jump out and backstab or push them off the ledge.

burgerdog

If your Soul Memory is compatible I am willing to help.

I'm at 3 million, I just wanted to try old dragonslayer with a buddy. I did all bosses on my own first time around so now I'm doing whatever I can in ng+ with bros.

Found a soap and we killed it. Thanks though!

Mohonky

I really dont understand the appeal this game has.

- combat with more than one enemy is basically broken. Your evade is too slow, you cant interrupt an attack, healing just leaves you open to being totally fucked movement / attacks works only in an 8 direction range making it incredibly janky.

- obscure for the sake of being obscure. This shits me to no end. When games dont explain jack shit about the mechanics and just throw you out there to work out how you are expected to play or how core fundmentals work I dont see that as a challenge, but poor design and introduction to the game world. What are all these items? Work it out. Having no pause just pisses me off especially. I have a million stats on the side of the screen and no idea what half of them even relate to. I levelled up apparently but when I have no idea, can I place skills? Again who knows. My sword is broken but again I have no idea whether thats repairable or whether I am supposed to get a new one. Right from the outset of the game its broken, I am told its a bad idea to go into combat with it but I dont really have a choice from what I can tell

- what is the mission structure of the game? I dont have any quests as such, I just got told a few buttons to attack and then off you go, where and why is guess work.

- presentation is woeful. Game looks like something from the better part of half a decade ago, NPC's might as well be cardboard cut outs for all the interaction you get from them, when tou enter into conversation they dont even move.....

Near on everything about this game is obscure or for whatever reason just not revealed to the player. Its fucking annoying.

sixghost

- combat with more than one enemy is basically broken. Your evade is too slow, you cant interrupt an attack, healing just leaves you open to being totally fucked movement / attacks works only in an 8 direction range making it incredibly janky.
I'm gonna go with 'get good" here.

Mohonky

I'm gonna go with 'get good" here.
If I have an enemy at 11 o clock and one at 1 o clock my options are attack forward and hope my swing radius is large enough. Otherwise how does one 'get good' when the controller only allows 45 degree increments of movement?

If I have an enemy at 11 o clock and one at 1 o clock my options are attack forward and hope my swing radius is large enough. Otherwise how does one 'get good' when the controller only allows 45 degree increments of movement?

Have you tried locking on to one? Take them out 1 at a time.

daniels

You can win every encounter in the game without getting hit once by an enemy,
its not the game its YOU.

Mohonky

Have you tried locking on to one? Take them out 1 at a time.
If I lock onto one, I get attacked at a different side by another, I cant turn in that direction exposing my entirely. In which case how do you just take on 1 at a time? Draw one enemy away by running back through an area until the others get bored and leave? Thats not exactly setting the world on fire combat mechanics which is what I am complaining about.

Orayn

Your evade gets faster if you wear lighter armor and put more levels in adaptability. It will also have more invincibility frames then.

You can interrupt an attack. Check out your weapon's stats to see how much poise damage it does, and also try wielding it in two hands since that increases your effective Strength, which is the stat poise damage scales with.

Healing with Estus flasks leaves you open if you don't get far enough away before using them. Using Lifegems is much faster and easier to do in the middle of a fight.

Not sure what you mean with the eight directions... It's fully analog with a controller, and you still have pretty good control over your relatively facing direction with mouse and keyboard.

- obscure for the sake of being obscure. This shits me to no end. When games dont explain jack shit about the mechanics and just throw you out there to work out how you are expected to play or how core fundmentals work I dont see that as a challenge, but poor design and introduction to the game world. What are all these items? Work it out. Having no pause just pisses me off especially. I have a million stats on the side of the screen and no idea what half of them even relate to. I levelled up apparently but when I have no idea, can I place skills? Again who knows. My sword is broken but again I have no idea whether thats repairable or whether I am supposed to get a new one. Right from the outset of the game its broken, I am told its a bad idea to go into combat with it but I dont really have a choice from what I can tell

Did you go through Things Betwixt? There are tutorial messages all over the place explaining the basics of combat, movement, and the like.

There's also a help/explanation button that highlights stuff on the stat screen and tells you what it does. It's back/select on consoles, not sure about the default binding on PC.

Repairing should have been presented more clearly given the fragility of weapons, though leveling up is revealed when you talk to an NPC next to the first bonfire in Majula. It's kinda hard to miss her...

- what is the mission structure of the game? I dont have any quests as such, I just got told a few buttons to attack and then off you go, where and why is guess work.

The level-up lady tells you to go find great souls. If you explore a little and take one of the paths out of Majula, you'll find yourself in an area with some enemies who are dropping souls and treasures. The rest kinda follows from there.

- presentation is woeful. Game looks like something from the better part of half a decade ago, NPC's might as well be cardboard cut outs for all the interaction you get from them, when tou enter into conversation they dont even move.....

It's a pretty oldschool style of presentation, true. I find it charming in a kitschy kind of way, but that's just me.

Near on everything about this game is obscure or for whatever reason just not revealed to the player. Its fucking annoying.

It's not as bad as you make it sound, but I admit that you'll hate Dark Souls if you think figuring things out for yourself is always bad and un-fun.

If I lock onto one, I get attacked at a different side by another, I cant turn in that direction exposing my entirely. In which case how do you just take on 1 at a time? Draw one enemy away by running back through an area until the others get bored and leave? Thats not exactly setting the world on fire combat mechanics which is what I am complaining about.

There are a lot of different approaches and drawing out 1 at a time is an option, but as you get more experienced you will learn how to dance with a few and look for windows or draw out certain attacks. Patience is also key.

Keep your equip load below 70% at a minimum. Don't just block with a shield, but roll. Learn advanced techniques like parry/riposte, backstab, guard break. Try different weapons for the moveset and see what you like.

Booshka

I used to meticulously respond to those kind of posts about Dark Souls 1, I don't have the interest to do it anymore, glad there are others to pick up the slack.

Seriously though, get good.

Jintor

You don't need to kite them so far as to get one to just leave, just enough to take care of them one at a time.

Well, I guess you could go try killing seven zombies and bringing me their arms.

Back up, bait them into attacking at the same time so that when their animation finishes you can dart in and hit them a few times. Don't let one of them leave your sight. Always keep them in viewing by strafing around. If you time your rolls good enough you can dodge through attacks and get behind them, leaving them open to a backstab which will kill most early game enemies in one hit.

Until you get later on in the game you won't be able to hit enemies out of attacks because their poise is too high for early game weapons (the stat that regulates the ability to continue attacking through getting hit) and you should worry more about finding when to attack rather than brute forcing it.

Grief.exe

I personally love how the Souls series doesn't insult your intelligence. Where I have been completely disenfranchised by the modern AAA game, with simple, one button combat, linear corridors, and an arrow over your head to tell you exactly where to go. Souls goes in the opposite direction, people in the game point you in the right direction but never tell you explicitly.

The same goes for the RPG mechanics. Where companies like Bioware and Bethesda are throwing out deep builds for a streamlined perk system. Souls allows for complex and varried builds that can widely differentiate the gameplay.
It's really not that confusing, use the help button to learn what each stat does. For your first build, focus on Vig and End for your health and stamina to tank hits. Then enough Str/Dex to equip your weapon. Faith or Int if you want to play with spells. Adaptability is a solid stat as well for extra i-frames in your roll.

dreamfall

Just beat Shr
ine of Amana- with my short bow, those casters were no problem at all. Ducking behind pillars for shootouts, and those water monsters weren't bad at a distance either! I think the scariest bit was just falling because of the water ledge drop off.

Demon of Song also felt way to easy too beat- it was a fun hack and slash game of peek-a-boo with it's face! After getting methodically through the area, it felt like such an afterthought. Two tries, and we're off!

That area was absolutely gorgeous!

Jintor

I will say the fact that npcs don't actually move their lips when they talk really bugs me. Obviously it's probably the least of From's priorities and I'm probably a weird for having binocs out at all times because I'm paranoid about accidentally attacking NPCs, but it still looks bloody weird.

Zomba13

-Combat: Opinions. It does take getting used to and has heavy animation priority and healing does leave you way more open than in past games but like with most things, when you practice you get better at it. Still though, this is pure opinion. Some like it, some don't so I can't fault you for not liking it.

-Obscure: Yes and no. The lore is obscure in that it's hidden in the dialouge (talk to people multiple times) and item descriptions. You are thrown into this world yes but that is by design. You are a stranger in a strange land. All you know is you are Undead and they are drawn to this place.
Control and gameplay though, there is a tutorial at the start telling you the buttons, every item (well, almost every) tells you what they do when you see the description and you can see what your stats do and what stats effect in the level up screen (hit back/select).

-Structure: This one I was hazy on but due to a mistake on my part (skipped the dialouge that had the setup because it was going slow and just as I hit the button the new line popped up skipping it). You are told what you need to do (get big souls to see the king) and it's up to you to get them (there is one obvious path from the start and then it branches out).

-presentation: completely disagree. While the game doesn't look as good as current gen or PC games it still looks really nice on PC for the most part (especially with some help from Durante with better DoF, AO and down sampling. And the SweetFX profile). Regarding the NPCs and stuff well the line delivery is great, the give a fair bit of world building info but yeah, they don't prance about much of move their lips when talking.

There are obscure things in the game but part of the fun is figuring out things and if you want to give up there is always the internet and wikis.

Mohonky

Healing with Estus flasks leaves you open if you don't get far enough away before using them. Using Lifegems is much faster and easier to do in the middle of a fight.

I have one but it said something about putting Estus into it, no explanation on where I get that.

Not sure what you mean with the eight directions... It's fully analog with a controller, and you still have pretty good control over your relatively facing direction with mouse and keyboard.

Using 360 pad. It's not in any way analogue in it's movement.

Did you go through Things Betwixt? There are tutorial messages all over the place explaining the basics of combat, movement, and the like.

There's also a help/explanation button that highlights stuff on the stat screen and tells you what it does. It's back/select on consoles, not sure about the default binding on PC.

Did this, I got explanations on combat basics, nothing explaining anything in any form of detail.

Repairing should have been presented more clearly given the fragility of weapons, though leveling up is revealed when you talk to an NPC next to the first bonfire in Majula. It's kinda hard to miss her...

My understanding here is I am basically entirely stuck with a broken sword until a certain point. Great.

It's not as bad as you make it sound, but I admit that you'll hate Dark Souls if you think figuring things out for yourself is always bad and un-fun.

When there are rules or structures in place that limit how a game is played, some explanation on that would be helpful.

I'm not adverse to hard games, nor ones that demand a slow and methodical approach; but this shit of here's a game, you work the rest out is infuriating. Dark Souls is basically; you've lost your memory, you're hollow and consume souls, here are the basics of swinging a sword and a jump. Now go play.

-MD-

What on earth?

-The combat is fine and hardly unfair, I've died ~10-15 times in 20 hours of playing and most of those were from single target bosses. Groups of enemies are usually a joke to deal with, raise your shield and wait for one to attack and then go to town, circle strafe around the back, lead them through small doors or narrow paths etc. Tons of ways to deal with big groups of enemies.

-You repair your weapon at the weapon smith guy like 10 feet from the Majula bonfire, carry multiple weapons so you can switch to them when one is nearly broken so you don't have to deal with repairs.

-Game doesn't need a pause, you can quit wherever you are in the game and your progress will save.

-About those "millions of buttons", you can press a button on your stat screen that will display information for every stat, the button icons at the bottom of the screen tell you that.

-You level up by collecting souls and spending them at the chick near the Majula bonfire.

-There is no mission structure, the game is just one big ass area with a bunch of bosses and enemies scattered around, move through the areas and defeat the bosses, that's your mission.

I have one but it said something about putting Estus into it, no explanation on where I get that.

When you rest at a bonfire you recharge your estus flask. When you find estus flask upgrades you use them at a bonfire.

Dark Souls is basically; you've lost your memory, you're hollow and consume souls, here are the basics of swinging a sword and a jump. Now go play.

That describes Dark Souls, yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yep silver covetous rings, Tseldora set (full set increases souls by 24 or so %) and warlock mask are some examples.

Late Game, Kill an NPC, Area I haven't been to yet (late game?).

All of those are D:

I guess I'll do it the hardway and be summoned in Copse for a while. I can get 10K per run, nearly. The problem is being summoned at times.

I need to get my INT/FAITH up to at least 20 each so I can use more than the starting/rudimentary spells that I got. I've bought them all, but I can only use one or two of them. Same for Hexes. :/

dreamfall

Also, I finally set up my Dualshock 4 to work with my PC.

After playing so many hours with a wired 360 pad, this feels utterly glorious!

Mohonky

Back up, bait them into attacking at the same time so that when their animation finishes you can dart in and hit them a few times. Don't let one of them leave your sight. Always keep them in viewing by strafing around. If you time your rolls good enough you can dodge through attacks and get behind them, leaving them open to a backstab which will kill most early game enemies in one hit.

I am in the Forest of Giants and I am doing virtually nothing but backstabbing enemies, it's just knocking them to the floor but certainly not killing them

Orayn

I am in the Forest of Giants and I am doing virtually nothing but backstabbing enemies, it's just knocking them to the floor but certainly not killing them

Is your weapon still broken? The icon (in the bottom left of your screen) will have a gray slash across it and the bar under it will be empty.

If you need a backup, there's a dagger in Things Betwixt you could go back and get.

Gazoinks

Okay! Just beat the final boss! Still got some stuff to mop up before moving on to NG+, but I'm mostly done.

Overall, I really liked the game. I think as a whole I might like it more than Dark 1 (much worse storytelling though, which is a shame). Bosses are mostly weak, but there are a lot of levels I had a lot of fun with (and a lot of trap-filled dungeony stuff, which I always wished there was more of in Dark), and it never reached the badness of some of the later Dark stuff. Some changes are good, some bad, but overall the good significantly outweighed the bad for me.

Now, what NPCs drop unique loot? I don't want to go on a total murder spree because of sin, but I do like loot. :3

I used to meticulously respond to those kind of posts about Dark Souls 1, I don't have the interest to do it anymore, glad there are others to pick up the slack.

Seriously though, get good.

Yep... I've been reading posts exactly like that since 2009. No more energy to explain the game to people rushing to quick conclusions. Get engaged with the game on its terms and get good or give up and play something different.

-MD-

You either back up and let them walk toward you and then swing at them both at the same time or you roll behind one and attack them both at the same time.

It's pretty easy, honestly. Also playing the game for more than 3 hours might help.

~snip

Maybe this game isn't for you, Some games just don't appeal to everybody, I feel that is one of the easiest game franchises to say that about. It seems like your struggling with how different this game is from other AAA games released nowadays. There is no minimap, the tutorial is minimal (though better than in DS1) and characters don't give you quests. The most direction you'll get is from NPCs (the woman you go to to level up and the guy sitting at the base of the tower in Majula) and sometimes they can be vague. The story is practically non existent outside of little tidbits you pick up from NPCs and item descriptions. Enemies deal almost as much damage as you do and every single one of them in the game can kill you if you're careless, bosses more so. If you really want to succeed in this game you have to be cautious and patient at all times. It takes time to learn because most weapons have different feels and movesets. Even basic swords can feel very different from one another. Learning a weapon, how fast it swings, its reach, how long it takes to hit and how long of a recovery you have after an attack, etc is just as important as learning attack patterns of bosses and even single enemies. Most of which are vastly different.

I'd say its worth sticking with for a little bit longer. Get through the first two areas and then reconsider. This game is all about the small victories, killing a mob of enemies that have murdered you 5 times over, getting past that annoying archer, even figuring out where to go afters minutes, even hours of searching. And of course, that sweet, sweet relief of trudging through a punishing, frustration-inducing area and finding that beautiful bonfire.

But don't feel bad if you can't do it. This just isn't the game for you. Otherwise, suck it up and git gud.

ugoo18

Finally finished the game, not bad overall but a variety of things keep it from being as good or as polished as DS1.

Question about Infusing.

I currently have the
Moonlight Greatsword+4, Fire Longsword (Maxed Out) and Staff of Wisdom (Maxed Out).
Should i infuse any or all of them and if so what would be beneficial for each?

Also is there a limit on infusing weapons?

Also is it advisable to infuse shields, i currently use the
Grym Greatshield (Maxed out).

Gazoinks

Finally finished the game, not bad overall but a variety of things keep it from being as good or as polished as DS1.

Question about Infusing.

I currently have the
Moonlight Greatsword+4, Fire Longsword (Maxed Out) and Staff of Wisdom (Maxed Out).
Should i infuse any or all of them and if so what would be beneficial for each?

Also is there a limit on infusing weapons?

Also is it advisable to infuse shields, i currently use the
Grym Greatshield (Maxed out).

Not sure about the longsword, but infuse your MLGS and Catalyst with Magic. It'll improve the Magic scaling without reducing anything since it has no phys damage.

Toxi

Banned
Lock onto one and strafe around so he's between you and his buddy. You're not a statue, you have legs.

Orayn

It refills whenever you rest at a bonfire. You kinda find that out naturally. You have one charge right now, but if you find Estus Flask shards you can talk to the level up lady and she'll upgrade its max capacity with them.

And yeah, there's a prompt for this. The item description tells you what it does, and the Emerald Herald will say "Oh, is that a shard?" when you talk to her and you have one.

Using 360 pad. It's not in any way analogue in it's movement.

Yes it is. It might snap to the main eight directions slightly but it's definitely not locked to them. You can turn in smooth arcs.

Did this, I got explanations on combat basics, nothing explaining anything in any form of detail.

What details were you expecting that you didn't get?

My understanding here is I am basically entirely stuck with a broken sword until a certain point. Great.

You're not stuck, there are plenty of weapons sitting around that you can find. Again, there was one right in the tutorial that you apparently did.

When there are rules or structures in place that limit how a game is played, some explanation on that would be helpful.

I have to ask you what kind of explanation you're asking for. A neon sign telling you to go talk to the Emerald Herald? A description of the structure of the whole game? (You actually get that from another NPC, the sad guy up by the monument.)

I'm not adverse to hard games, nor ones that demand a slow and methodical approach; but this shit of here's a game, you work the rest out is infuriating. Dark Souls is basically; you've lost your memory, you're hollow and consume souls, here are the basics of swinging a sword and a jump. Now go play.

Yes, those are the basics and it's why people love it: You can experience the joy and frustration of exploration and discovery instead of "Go here, do this."

Finally had some free time this weekend to play some DSII. Made some good progress to the Huntman's Corpse area. Finally found one of those
Pharro's stones and went back to The Lost Bastille level and unlocked the area that takes me to the Gargoyles. My goodness that area fucking sucks. I keep getting invaded non-stop. Is this some sort of invasion area or something? Then when I finally made it to the boss, I couldn't believe it looked almost exactly like the Gargoyles from DS1 until the 3rd, and the 4th appeared. Holy shit, how in the hell are you supposed to kill them all?! Died once and stopped playing for the night. I'll wait until I upgrade my weapon some more before tackling the Gargoyles again.

Jintor

Finally had some free time this weekend to play some DSII. Made some good progress to the Huntman's Corpse area. Finally found one of those
Pharro's stones and went back to The Lost Bastille level and unlocked the area that takes me to the Gargoyles. My goodness that area fucking sucks. I keep getting invaded non-stop. Is this some sort of invasion area or something? Then when I finally made it to the boss, I couldn't believe it looked almost exactly like the Gargoyles from DS1 until the 3rd, and the 4th appeared. Holy shit, how in the hell are you supposed to kill them all?! Died once and stopped playing for the night. I'll wait until I upgrade my weapon some more before tackling the Gargoyles again.

Yeah, it's the invasion zone.

Levyne

Banned

Yeah that fight is pretty much all about dps. It was much harder on ng+ with the added health. And I was surprised in exactly the same way you were, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom