• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

So are most of you guys stopping at 150 even though soul memory is what rules? I'm just worried that I'll be fighting significantly higher level players if I stay at this level.

Zafir

Oh wow. I did notice the puddle around the edge. That would have drove me nuts. I still don't have any poison resist stuff =/
Poison resist doesn't even seem to do much. I tried using the poison resist ring, and it seemed to do sod all to help, lol.

Zeliard

I love getting summoned into those impromptu Fight Club tourney matches at Iron Keep

darksoulsii2014-05-04w4qit.png

Beat the game yesterday and have been moping around, clearing out locations I've missed etc. The only bosses I haven't beaten are
Ancient Dragon
and
Darklurker
. I aggroed
Ancient Dragon but he killed me on the spot
, so I'm not sure if I wanna pursue this fight further, especially since the road to him is filled with enemies. Also, will he remain aggroed in NG+? The
Darklurker
sounds like a pretty awesome quest line and I even cleared
the first cave but the third cave with the Havel phantom
is breaking my balls and I'm not really sure I wanna waste so many
Effigies
on this thing.

I have a SL162 character, guess he's a STR build, Mastodon Halberd +10 and infused with Raw I believe for a total of about 500 damage, even if it's just slash and all. Beat a few of the last bosses on my first try which was underwhelming, but I suppose I might be a bit OP.

So what do you guys suggest I do before starting NG+. I guess I should stock up on some consumables, arrows etc. But what do you recommend I do with all of these souls I got? Haven't traded any for weapons or used as souls. I'm not really sure if any of the boss gear is any good, any recommendations? Also, is this guy ready for a NG+ or should I grind a bit more? I'm kinda eager to jump into NG+ but don't want to miss out on tying up some loose ends.

Booshka

Is everyone rolling with Engraved Gauntlets?

Engraved Gauntlets, havel chest, leggings with Smelter head or some tryhard caster hood. Throw on Greater Magic barrier, a weapon buff for your katana, greatsword or santiers, an avelyn in your left hand, or powerstanced avelyns if your real cool. Right there is some quality high level (and Soul memory, cuz lol From) pvp.

I think the problem with this and the Pursuer gif is that it is a canned animation if a hit is detected. Problem is that in some situations the character has largely dodged it but is barely hit on an extremity so the animation plays out. Kind of frustrating, but I don't know how they would fix it.

Booshka

I think the problem with this and the Pursuer gif is that it is a canned animation if a hit is detected. Problem is that in some situations the character has largely dodged it but is barely hit on an extremity so the animation plays out. Kind of frustrating, but I don't know how they would fix it.

So your pinky toe got hit during the grab attack, you take some damage from that like you got hit by a single swipe. Not, oh one pixel of your character was in this giant hit box, so now you get grappled and murdered.

So your pinky toe got hit during the grab attack, you take some damage from that like you got hit by a single swipe. Not, oh one pixel of your character was in this giant hit box, so now you get grappled and murdered.

That would be a reasonable proposal, who knows how feasible that is to program.

Grief.exe

So, this game clearly is selling a lot better and much, much faster than Dark Souls 1 on PC.

According to Ars Technica, lifetime sales for DK1 reached almost a million and half now, but that's just after two years and few of discounted sales, while at first the numbers from Namco claimed 300k copies.
On the other hand, concurrent users on Steam seem to suggest that this sequel sold more or less a million in the first week.

It's hard to directly compare the data, but we have fairly recent releases to compare it to.

At launch, BioShock Infinite peaked at 65K concurrent and Borderlands 2 at 120K concurrent. Both titles ended up selling well over 2 million copies.

Posting Dark Souls to the PC is probably the best thing they have ever done.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't stand this beginning area, I've died so much that the enemies have stopped respawning. Accuse me of just plain sucking, but the other games' beginning stages never were this cheap or frustrating. I feel like I'm going insane or something.

Levyne

Banned
I can't stand this beginning area, I've died so much that the enemies have stopped respawning. Accuse me of just plain sucking, but the other games' beginning stages never were this cheap or frustrating. I feel like I'm going insane or something.

The Forest? Or are you at the Tower? I went to the Tower first and the Forest is much easier.

erawsd

The 10% general "rule" about the ratio between concurrent users and total copies (which grossly covers the first 800,000), plus the fact that the game is still topping the Steam Sales Chart two weeks after its release.

And just to clarify, by "more or less one million" I'm implying any number between 800K and 1,2 millions.

Eh, I'd just wait on numbers instead of trying to figure it out like that. I'm sure the game is doing very well though.

elfinke

I love getting summoned into those impromptu Fight Club tourney matches at Iron Keep

[/IMG]http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-05-04w4qit.png[/IMG]

Oh wow, that's fantastic. Seems I'm missing out by hanging around Ancient Dragon. Might move back to Iron Keep this afternoon, see what's up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Sentenza

Eh, I'd just wait on numbers instead of trying to figure it out like that. I'm sure the game is doing very well though.
Yeah, of course, official sources are the only way to get official numbers. That's obvious.
But that's really not a far fetched estimation, there is a certain statistical reliability in those ratios "concurrent:total user base", which as I said typically is around 10% at the popularity peak, give or take small fluctuations.

Anyway, people at FROM seriously need to rework their jump mechanics.
It's a bit absurd (and if you think about it even quite hilarious) that making a jump across a half meter wide gap feels like you're putting yourself far more in danger than facing giant monsters.

Orayn

I did that thing because I saw two messages saying to do it and I have to obey the glowing orange words. What is it like without doing the thing?

You spend almost the entire time poisoned, rolling covers you in more poison, and the poison that fills THE ENTIRE AREA makes her regenerate health.
It's awful.

Grief.exe

I was very rusty at the time, but I felt like it was a fairly straight forward area.

The enemies are easy to dodge or block and don't do too much damage.

Orayn

It's a bit absurd (and if you think about it even quite hilarious) that making a jump across a half meter wide gap feels like you're putting yourself far more in danger than facing giant monsters.

Honestly, I think they would be just fine with Legend of Zelda style auto-jumps that only work when you cross over a ledge while holding down dodge/sprint.

That or they could maybe find room for a dedicated jump button that's not connected to sprinting at all.

What class did you start as. Some are not newbie friendly.

p3n

Just encountered my first hacker! Was minding my own business at
McDuff's
when I got invaded. Guy had infinite stamina and was constantly swinging his power stanced Zweihanders without a break, chasing me. He wasn't invincible but had a ton of health.

Killing him buffed (*messed up) my soul memory with roughly 500.000 souls!

Zeliard

Oh wow, that's fantastic. Seems I'm missing out by hanging around Ancient Dragon. Might move back to Iron Keep this afternoon, see what's up.

Be warned that there are also a ton of griefers at Iron Keep. People that will summon you into straight up 3v1 ganks, or into something that's ostensibly a 1v1 but then their two phantom buddies pop out of hiding.

Sentenza

Honestly, I think they would be just fine with Legend of Zelda style auto-jumps that only work when you cross over a ledge while holding down dodge/sprint.
You know... I never considered it (and I'm generally not too much of a fan) but in this context it could work quite well.

Orayn

You know... I never considered it (and I'm generally not too much of a fan) but in this context it could work quite well.

Ledge grabs would also go a really long way and could also be used for some fun traversal sections. They seem to be into that now, with ladders/elevators still being ubiquitous, "pratfall levels" like
The Gutter
, and the addition of ziplines.

Damn,
Nashandra
was a pain in the ass.
Tried to solo her some times, then started doing coop. After many tries, had this one guy that single-handedly did lots of damage with the eletric arrow attack(forgot the name), and i ended up not even fighting her :p fuck those curse balls.

Ledge grabs would also go a really long way and could also be used for some fun traversal sections. They seem to be into that now, with ladders/elevators still being ubiquitous, "pratfall levels" like
The Gutter

Now you're on to something. Get From on the horn, stat!

elfinke

Hmm, I haven't struggled with jumps in DaSo2 much.

It's a mean mixture of geometry and harsh animation+controls that leads to frustration. I totally get the complaint - holding B then pressing the stick in is unwieldy to begin with - but when that is combined with the occasional canned roll, it can mean unnecessary deaths almost as often as not.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Making the jumping more fluid (like removing the canned roll animation after certain heights) is no good, as that is directly against the rest of the games' animation priority style. I think separating sprint and jump inputs was a start in the right direction. One most obvious answer is to improve level geometry, but that's a pretty large undertaking that, to this point at least, was hindered by the consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

/Edit: ledge grabs are a great idea, especially if they had a large stamina penalty to balance them out (like that excellent Ubisoft game.../edit2: I Am Alive is the game I'm thinking of)

Orayn

ALSO, if they did add ledge grabs, any areas that still needed a "pit of doom" effect could use slippery or sloped ledges that your character would desperately try to hold onto before losing their grip and falling to their death.

Hire me, From!

Sentenza

The Gutter
Which reminds me that they also need to stop putting waist-high "obstacles" in the environment.

Look, I don't care if your excuse to not let me access an area is bullshit and you want to force me through the long way, that's game design 101.
But at least put some effort in making it look believable.

Levyne

Banned
Damn,
Nashandra
was a pain in the ass.
Tried to solo her some times, then started doing coop. After many tries, had this one guy that single-handedly did lots of damage with the eletric arrow attack(forgot the name), and i ended up not even fighting her :p fuck those curse balls.

Yeah, they got me the first time in there. I just was diligent about clearing them out afterwards.

KarmaCow

I haven't tried it, but from what I understand, you need
3 millions souls from that playthrough specifically. Souls gained from past playthroughs don't count for opening the shrine.

I know, I have I a bunch of boss souls saved up, but looking at the numbers, I probably wouldn't make half of what I need. I was hoping someone found a good farming spot that was quick enough.

When I set the game to resolutions beyond 1920x1080, the dark and shadows get a lot darker, yet outside areas still seem appropriately light. I actually need to use a torch for caves and such. Why does this happen?

Zomba13

Which reminds me that they also need to stop putting waist-high "obstacles" in the environment.

Look, I don't care if your excuse to not let me access an area is bullshit and you want to force me through the long way, that's game design 101.

Yeah. It's stupid when there is a knee high thing you can't walk over.

Ledge Grabs could be awesome. I guess something like press X when you fall off to recover, then if you don't have any stamina left then you fall? Something along those lines.

Also, auto-jumping seems like a step back. I think Zelda should adopt the jump from DS2 if anything.

Also, also, I'm not sure why they took out being able to climb up waist high obstacles like they had in Demon's Souls.

Yeah, they got me the first time in there. I just was diligent about clearing them out afterwards.
Maybe i didn't have the patience or don't have the ability, but when i tried doing that, i would most of the time end up killed. I'm just sorta felling guilty or undeserving for not really doing anything in the fight. the guy got
Nashandra to 1/2 of her health
in a matter of seconds, and i didn't want to risk losing the chance of winning.

HeelPower

That
Belfry Sol
bonfire in
Iron keep
really highlights this. GAH!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

It's not even waist-high, sometimes there's ankle-high raised platforms you can't walk onto lol. Specifically that upper area near the
manscorpionbearpig
in the Shaded Woods.

Not a fan of jumping in this game, but still an improvement over DaS 1 in the sense that I don't accidentally roll or keep sprinting instead of jump (well the latter still rarely happens).

Levyne

Banned
Maybe i didn't have the patience or don't have the ability, but when i tried doing that, i would most of the time end up killed. I'm just sorta felling guilty or undeserving for not really doing anything in the fight. the guy got
Nashandra to 1/2 of her health
in a matter of seconds, and i didn't want to risk losing the chance of winning.

Return the favor and slap down your sign and help other people out. If you survive through both the penultimate and last fight it can be a lot of souls :)

Return the favor and slap down your sign and help other people out. If you survive through both the penultimate and last fight it can be a lot of souls :)
That is if people
did the bosses
in that order, which i suppose most do. But yeah, that's a good idea to remove this feeling. Will help some people tomorrow. Thanks :)

Orayn

Ledge Grabs could be awesome. I guess something like press X when you fall off to recover, then if you don't have any stamina left then you fall? Something along those lines.

Also, auto-jumping seems like a step back. I think Zelda should adopt the jump from DS2 if anything.

Also, also, I'm not sure why they took out being able to climb up waist high obstacles like they had in Demon's Souls.

I think those were all scripted and there was no generalized system that handled. It would be nice to see those return, I agree, but it's understandable that they'd want to use a universal game mechanic when possible.

Vaporak

Both are also a result of the poise you get on rolling. in DS2 you can get hit in a roll and complete the roll animation without getting knocked out of it like in previous games. The down side is situations like these where you get clipped by a grab, but you complete the roll animation only to have your model get teleported back because you can't poise through grabs.

Vee_One

It took me 13 hours to beat the first boss. At hour 15 I had completely farmed out the first two starting areas. I was that bad.

I am now 24 hours in and have completed ~11 areas and am one shotting bosses.

The game does click for you at some point and when it does it is amazing. Don't worry about being bad - this was my first souls games too and they are hard.

Minor spoiler - there is a ring in second starting zone that limits your hp reduction to 75% instead of 50% when hollow. The game becomes much easier when you get that. Don't despair - stick at it and it will get easier.

It feels great when after putting in the hard yards you just waltz through an area. Play slow, use your shield and time your strikes an you will be fine. Don't forget to level and don't be afraid to farm a little to make it easier.

HeelPower

I didn't find jumping in DS2 problematic.The option to press a separate button while holding down the dash button made it much more convenient.(pressing L3 while holding O when using a DualShock )

It would be sweet if they make a separate jumping button though.

Toxi

Banned
Have you beaten the last giant? If you have, I'd recommend moving to Heide's Tower of Flame.

Also,
the merchant lady sells the key to the Blacksmith's forge, so you can upgrade your weapon once you meet her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom