• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despera

Banned
I just beat the Darklurker.

I decided to equip nothing but the Saint set, a chime and a Large Club +10. No shields. Applied fire to the large club and spanked the abyss out of him lol

I wasted 9 Effigies on him though :\

Levyne

Banned
I somehow beat the Darklurker on my first try. I knew nothing going in other than
"fire"
. Which I didn't even use. When he
split
it was just a bunch of panic and me rolling and spamming estus until I could
avoid the beam on one and get the other to be baiting into swinging the sword and then just trying to kill them fast,

Chasing after people in the BellTowers with a one-handed Zwei is pretty entertaining. Just picked it up, so I have to get used to the moveset but damn does that thing hit like a truck.

Wish I had some stones to infuse it for even more punch.

Forkball

What should I bring my vig up to? I want to be a tanky melee character. I have it at 30 right now and I'm sitting at exactly 70% (still can do fast roll). I want to keep the roll but build up the tankiness.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
There was a message in the ground from another player, saying that by doing it I'd get a ring. It was pretty easy actually, just 3 or 4 sword attacks, didn't realize I might need something from her.

Ah. That's pretty funny. Make sure you go back and rate that message :p

I wish FROM had been a little more inventive with stuff like that particular "fetch quest". Surely they could have made a little backstory and context for how he lost the item, and why he can't go get it himself. The way it's set up just seems arbitrary and a bit silly, unless I'm missing some lore or something.

What should I bring my vig up to? I want to be a tanky melee character. I have it at 30 right now and I'm sitting at exactly 70% (still can do fast roll). I want to keep the roll but build up the tankiness.

30s probably fine. Have you upgraded your armour? What set or pieces are you wearing?

Despera

Banned
I somehow beat the Darklurker on my first try. I knew nothing going in other than
"fire"
. Which I didn't even use. When he
split
it was just a bunch of panic and me rolling and spamming estus until I could
avoid the beam on one and get the other to be baiting into swinging the sword and then just trying to kill them fast,
Yeah fire did the trick. That and going below 40% equip load. Also,
his splitting animation made it seem like he's about to explode
, so the first few attempts my knee-jerk reaction was to roll away in anticipation of an AoE attack.

Before him only
The Rotten
took me more than 2 tries.

KingKong

Man what is it with the bonfires in this game, like why does Hunstman Copse have so many? Especially after you basically create a shortcut between two of them

Whats the point of the hidden bonfire in Earthen Peak? (other than letting you skip a few enemies to the boss, but the second bonfire was close enough)

HoosTrax

The bonfire placement in this game, with relation to distance to area boss, is really inconsistent. The trek to Duke's Dear was kind of maddening, especially for those with arachnophobia.

---

Just have three more achievements to go. Have to get through part of NG++ to get them and I'm about halfway through NG+.

I hope I learned enough playing through it to be able to finally finish Dark Souls 1 once it gets rid of GFWL. I quit the game at O&S.

Jintor

I don't like the placement nearly as much as I did for DS1. Feels like I was basically tripping over bonfires here, whereas it was always a huge relief in DS1.

But then again, I got over my fear of dying/losing souls already at the beginning of DS2, so maybe I just stopped valuing bonfires that much.

But its like 2 rooms (if that, considering one room is just 1 enemy and a trap, and you can run easily run past everyone), why have that bonfire and not a second bonfire at No Mans Warf?

You'd have to ask FROM. I'm sure it could be done without, but like Hoos said, the bonfire placement is really inconsistent. Even when I died on the boss at NoMan's....it wasn't nearly that painful to truck through everyone to the boss. Especially with the shortcut.

Any way to get Lucatiel's set without killing her? I want to be a rapier-wielding musketeer.

I believe
completing her questline
results in her giving the gear to you.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't like the placement nearly as much as I did for DS1. Feels like I was basically tripping over bonfires here, whereas it was always a huge relief in DS1.

It's funny, most people I know who are jumping into the series with this game think the distance between bonfires is too great and unfair.

Personally, as much as I liked the tension that was built up from having fewer bonfires, I appreciate the ability to get around easily once I've beaten the game and know where everything is anyway.

Grief.exe

Man what is it with the bonfires in this game, like why does Hunstman Copse have so many? Especially after you basically create a shortcut between two of them

Initially, I thought that fire was strange as well.

I've always theorized that play testers weren't finding the shortcut, so From just implemented an easy solution.

Jintor

It's funny, most people I know who are jumping into the series with this game think the distance between bonfires is too great and unfair.

Personally, as much as I liked the tension that was built up from having fewer bonfires, I appreciate the ability to get around easily once I've beaten the game and know where everything is anyway.

Well they're probably not exploring for hidden walls and stuff. But yeah, the transport stuff earlier game is far more accessible.

onionfrog

(Iron Keep boss spoilers)
So the fight against the old iron king was more of a fight against the platform you fight him on than anything else...

So many occasions where I was too far back and fell into the hole in the floor. Or too far forward and rolled off into the lava since the platform tapers in at the front.

Once I figured out a good place to be on the platform to dodge attacks without that shit happening it was quite easy.

Any way to get Lucatiel's set without killing her? I want to be a rapier-wielding musketeer.
Summon her and have her survive for at least 3 of the 4 boss fights she is available for, otherwise you have to murder the poor dear.

Ascetics can be used (i.e. kill the Rotten 3 times = done).

Stet

Banned
yes, follow her questline.

I believe
completing her questline
results in her giving the gear to you.

Summon her and have her survive for at least 3 of the 4 boss fights she is available for, otherwise you have to murder the poor dear.

Ascetics can be used (i.e. kill the Rotten 3 times = done).

Yessssssss. Parrying dagger and rapier here I come. It will make the game more difficult since I'm used to using a shield but WHATEVER.

psy18

Not liking the despawn mechanics in this game. Feels like I'm cheating the game.
I'd rather have shortcuts like in DS1.

knitoe

Damn, I shouldn't have ignore co-op. Now, that I have finished the game and done everything sitting on 4 million souls, going to take forever to get enough medals for the sunlight spear.

So is it safe to say I'm out of PVP range cause of my soul memory? 1.5 mil atm and trying to do Bell Bro stuff and I'm not getting anything. I was fine about an hour ago...

Arjen

Damn, I shouldn't have ignore co-op. Now, that I have finished the game and done everything sitting on 4 million souls, going to take forever to get enough medals for the sunlight spear.

Just hop into NG+ Plenty of action in the first areas.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God damn, here I am, ready to jump back in after my whole TF2Outpost trade fiasco, get it from SimplyCDKeys, they send it within a fricken minute and it's a dupe. Not that upset about it, seems like it's pretty popular and I suppose they store the keys in a database and someone just forgot to tick one entry as used.

But soon, dear GAF, I'll traverse Drangleic again.

Killed
Darklurker
Vendrick
, and
Ancient Dragon
. Got the
Soul of the King
and his set behind the door in
Shrine of Amana
. Did all of the
murder contracts
, and got all the story/NPC achievements. Is there anything else I'm missing before going to NG+?

HoosTrax

Well with your typical "modern" game, there is a checkpoint save at the boss, so I can understand that. Playing Souls does change your perspective on things.

I was getting summons for Ruin Sentinels NG+ pretty much non-stop.

Nibel

> has to do stuff for uni
> all he can think about is ds2

ivQ6tCHG3LfYA.jpg

yatesl

Hey guys - Screw the
Shrine
of
Alma
, or whatever it's called. This place is annoying and dull with 40 Dex and a +10 Shortbow. I can't imagine what it's like with a melee build.

I also don't like how the enemies pop in and out. I don't remember that happening in Dark Souls. Getting through this place sniping everything, I take a step forward, and suddenly 4 enemies have spawned on an island that was empty a second ago.

Hey guys - Screw the
Shrine
of
Alma
, or whatever it's called. This place is annoying and dull with 40 Dex and a +10 Shortbow. I can't imagine what it's like with a melee build.

There is an NPC summon in the second hut. She is an absolute TANK. Just let her take aggro while you do the wetwork. The group of mobs just before the third bonfire is the absolute worst.

HoosTrax

There is an NPC summon in the second hut. She is an absolute TANK. Just let her take aggro while you do the wetwork. The group of mobs just before the third bonfire is the absolute worst.
That section of Amana felt like a troll of the highest order.

Oh ok, let's put four caster mobs all the way across the water, which I cannot cross except at a snail's pace. Meanwhile, right behind one of the casters are two paladin mobs which aggro when you attack said caster, and they run across the water like they're freakin' Jesus. While I'm crawling my way up to the casters, I have enemies lurking underwater waiting to pounce on me and make my life even more hell.

I don't know which approach is more irritating, trying to take them on head-on. Or spending the time to cheese it with ranged attacks.

Sentenza

A bow basically trivilises the entirity of that zone.

Especially when you can one-shot the lurkers.
Well, I didn't struggle too much in that area, but I have to agree with those who say it's fucking annoying, all things considered.
It's especially bad for the constant risk to fall into deep waters on top of enemy displacement.

That section of Amana felt like a troll of the highest order.

Oh ok, let's put four caster mobs all the way across the water, which I cannot cross except at a snail's pace. Meanwhile, right behind one of the casters are two paladin mobs which aggro when you attack said caster, and they run across the water like they're freakin' Jesus. While I'm crawling my way up to the casters, I have enemies lurking underwater waiting to pounce on me and make my life even more hell.

I don't know which approach is more irritating, trying to take them on head-on. Or spending the time to cheese it with ranged attacks.

Yea when you look at the group of mobs from behind, while you're at the third bonfire, it just looks like From stuck as many mobs in a 5x5 space as possible. Three of them are literally standing shoulder to shoulder. One lightning spear hits them all at once.

Jex

But then again, I got over my fear of dying/losing souls already at the beginning of DS2, so maybe I just stopped valuing bonfires that much.

Well, it's not just that their are lots of bonfires but that you have the ability to warp anywhere. It kind of reduces the tension.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's the door in Brightstone Cove right? Where you get mobbed by spiders? If you don't open the chest in that room (it contains heavy bolts), the spiders stay in their holes and you can walk to the boss door unmolested.
just bumping this cos i'm super curious of having been able to save myself such a torment

can you literally get through brighstone cove without fighting a single spider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom