• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Do enemies never despawn in the Dragon Shrine? I have died a lot in that zone and the run to the boss is still a pain in the ass.
They definitely do despawn. I farmed the entire place dry to get the Drakekeeper and Dragon Warrior gear and they stopped respawning like any other area, other than the Undead Shrine graves.

Sullichin

But its like 2 rooms (if that, considering one room is just 1 enemy and a trap, and you can easily run past everyone), why have that bonfire and not a second bonfire at No Mans Warf?

This reminds me of New Londo a lot. An area near the starting area that's not that long but doesn't have any bonfires. Water. Kinda underground. Plus the Vangarian's kick attack reminds me of Darkwraiths.

Jintor

Well, I didn't struggle too much in that area, but I have to agree with those who say it's fucking annoying, all things considered.
It's especially bad for the constant risk to fall into deep waters on top of enemy displacement.

I never fell in once. Other people's bloodstains are very helpful here.

Does anyone definitively know how the "flame, dear flame" blacksmith guy's achievement is triggered? Seeing a lot of conflicting information around the net.

HoosTrax

Does anyone definitively know how the Flame, dear Flame Blacksmith guy's achievement is triggered? Seeing a lot of conflicting information around the net.
Spend a certain amount of money on infusions. (I never once bought a single thing from him, nor did I use him for upgrades or repairs)

HoosTrax

uh, From?

Hey. From Software.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS TIME LIMIT BULLSHIT?
"ONE CANNOT STAY WITHIN MEMORY FOR LONG"

Seriously, dude needs to cut down on the caffeine if he can't stay in REM sleep cycle for more than ten minutes or w/e the time limit is.

elohel

just bumping this cos i'm super curious of having been able to save myself such a torment

can you literally get through brighstone cove without fighting a single spider?

no just for that room you won't but the rest of the game yes since there's some right before the boss area

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"ONE CANNOT STAY WITHIN MEMORY FOR LONG"

Seriously, dude needs to cut down on the caffeine if he can't stay in REM sleep cycle for more than ten minutes or w/e the time limit is.

it's so fucking stupid because it's entirely different from the rest of the game

the rest of Dark Souls: don't rush it, take your time and watch for openings, try to get these guys down one by one if you can, be careful, heal up if you get a chance

this part: BE FAST AS HELL AND ALSO BE PERFECT BECAUSE IF YOU GET HIT YOU DIE IMMEDIATELY

Fuck. Off.

Carm

So, I got the Dull Ember last night, went and put lightning on my 1h mace +7, using a str/fth build. I was at the Belfry Sol bonfire, so figured I'd test it on the bell keepers. No lightning enchant, 4 swings to kill them, with lightning enchant 5 swings, that doesn't seem right? Maybe I'm just not understanding infusing. I know some mobs are more susceptible to elements over others, but wouldn't think the weapon would suddenly be worse for others.

lunlunqq

So, I got the Dull Ember last night, went and put lightning on my 1h mace +7, using a str/fth build. I was at the Belfry Sol bonfire, so figured I'd test it on the bell keepers. No lightning enchant, 4 swings to kill them, with lightning enchant 5 swings, that doesn't seem right? Maybe I'm just not understanding infusing. I know some mobs are more susceptible to elements over others, but wouldn't think the weapon would suddenly be worse for others.

Infusion adds overall attack rating; but your attacks now are checked against two defenses: their physical defense and elemental defense. So it's very possible that you will deal less damage to enemies that are strong against the element you infused.

Different enemies have different weaknesses. Some are more weak to elements than others. Some enemies are even a bit resistant to elements, while more susceptible to regular physical damage. I haven't done any infusing in DS2. In DS1, it was almost always better to just do +15 to a weapon, then use a resin or enchant before fighting. Resins and enchants are bonuses, where as infusions change the weapon's stats.

Ok, first boss wasn't bad. 2nd is posing quite a problem. Anyone else having/had trouble with
the Pursuer
?

He's pretty tricky in the beginning. There are a few tricks. If you are doing it solo :
parry his first hit and then run to the ballista. One hit will take him down about 95% of his health...then just hit him with a firebomb

If you want to co-op it :
Summon some bros and let them aggro the boss. Wait until hes lined up in the ballista range and tag him, might take a few. Worth noting the Ballista bolts hurt you and your bros as well. I've been ke-bobed a few times

Of course, you can fight him traditionally as well.

Infusing splits your damage into two categories, and if the mob has defenses against both the damage output will be lower with the way damage is calculated.

Vaporak

Whats everyones opinion of the Lost Sinner Sword? Aesthetically I love it, and it's nice that it's low weight for an UGS, but beyond that it seems really bad. I'm just hoping there's something I'm overlooking to make it worth the dragon bones. :(

That one area in (location spoiler)
Drangleic Castle
.. by the gods, it's the worst area I've ever encountered.

Remember beanpoles? They're back, in pog form.

Ok, first boss wasn't bad. 2nd is posing quite a problem. Anyone else having/had trouble with
the Pursuer
?

(boss strategy spoilers)
I survived him without (too) much difficulty by learning his attack pattern and dodging. Fortunately he doesn't use two weapons, so there's generally a safe zone for all of his attacks.

Also keep in mind that sometimes it's best to stay away from him for a bit.

Mistel

Banned
I have the feeling I'm going to regret infusing my Bastard Sword +10 with lightning when I get to the Mirror Knight.
You might do.
Whats everyones opinion of the Lost Sinner Sword? Aesthetically I love it, and it's nice that it's low weight for an UGS, but beyond that it seems really bad. I'm just hoping there's something I'm overlooking to make it worth the dragon bones. :(
The moveset is nice don't use it if you've got sin though.

Sullichin

That one area in (location spoiler)
Drangleic Castle
.. by the gods, it's the worst area I've ever encountered.

Remember beanpoles? They're back, in pog form.

(boss strategy spoilers)
I survived him without (too) much difficulty by learning his attack pattern and dodging. Fortunately he doesn't use two weapons, so there's generally a safe zone for all of his attacks.

Also keep in mind that sometimes it's best to stay away from him for a bit.

Not sure what you mean. The hardest room in Drangleic for me is the one with all of the archers in NG+ and beyond.

the Pursuer
?

The tricky part about this fight is the fact that you're dueling him on a fucking shelf, so you have to be mindful of your rolls and dodges. The safest way to fight him is
to bait his charge attack, then roll up and to the right (shield side), and then get a swing or two on him. Reposition, and repeat.

Vuze

I have the feeling I'm going to regret infusing my Bastard Sword +10 with lightning when I get to the Mirror Knight.

Yeah, was also thinking about infusing mine with elemental but went with raw. Weapon durability seems super shit now tho but maybe it's the new enemy types or w/e.

I was playing around with stats and I figured out a really fun build
screenshot_2014_05_06_00_42_14_by_realghostvids-d7h8f4a.jpg

Drakekeeper's Sword and Great Scythe, no buffs or magic, just cold hard pain. The sword is really fast and alternating swings between the two weapons is even faster. The Scythe is excellent at catching people as they roll away.

The stats are kind of silly though due to the awful scaling. I have 16 STR and DEX (STR for the Drakekeeper's Sword, DEX for the emergency Long Bow) which fit in with the minimum required stats for all the weapons I'm using. At 40 STR and DEX the sword and scythe only gained 53 and 51 damage respectively. I decided to keep STR and DEX low and just use the Ring of Blades +2 (flat 50 damage bonus to all weapons) to gain that extra damage. Then that left me with heaps of points to dump into VIG, END, ADP and some in VIT.

It may not do as much damage as buff builds but it's super fun to play; I joined the Bell Keepers this evening and have been having a great time.

Not sure what you mean. The hardest room in Drangleic for me is the one with all of the archers in NG+ and beyond.
(location spoilers)
It's a small room with six locked doors, filled with stone soldier spearmen and the sentry(?) bosses from Lost Bastille - the beanpoles! The sentries wildly aggro and you need to clear the whole room (~12 (later 6) spearmen and ~5 sentries) to get to to the backmost rooms. Nothing in the area was worthwhile (except for a Titanite Slab one of the spearmen dropped) but I couldn't be certain until I cleared it.

Since I never really used strike weapons, I ended up using a stock Blacksmith's Hammer to take everything down. My Falchion + 10 doesn't have the durability for such a lengthy period of combat.

ElFly

Shrine of Amana is super easy now and easily doable with melee only....except for the final area before the boss.

That shit is super hard.

SaberVulcan

Welp, I've just freed that dude in Aida's Keep.

a mess

Yeah... I did too.

Is it possible to
Bonfire Ascetic somewhere in there in order to reset that? Id love to do the quest line... and I didnt even find him before I pulled the lever. I thought the game was trying to trick me :(.

Yeah... I did too.

Is it possible to
Bonfire Ascetic somewhere in there in order to reset that? Id love to do the quest line... and I didnt even find him before I pulled the lever. I thought the game was trying to trick me :(.

Bonfire Ascetic do not reset level states, only respawn mobs and bosses in ng+ difficulty.

(location spoilers)
It's a small room with six locked doors, filled with stone soldier spearmen and the sentry(?) bosses from Lost Bastille - the beanpoles! The sentries wildly aggro and you need to clear the whole room (~12 (later 6) spearmen and ~5 sentries) to get to to the backmost rooms. Nothing in the area was worthwhile (except for a Titanite Slab one of the spearmen dropped) but I couldn't be certain until I cleared it.

Since I never really used strike weapons, I ended up using a stock Blacksmith's Hammer to take everything down. My Falchion + 10 doesn't have the durability for such a lengthy period of combat.

The backleft door has something incredibly worthwhile.

(location spoilers)

Protip:
Whatever unit soul is absorbed by the door or golems does not respawn. With a little planning you can get the Sentinals absorbed and not respawn if that's what you want. The stone soldiers are weak to dark magic, so use dark weapon or hexes for easy dispatch.

eot

Banned
Notice the sound effect as the Alonne knights in Iron Keep die too, a clue to the lore here.

Not willing to take that as a clue to anything, because they reuse a lot of sounds. At least two boss AoE attacks sound just like Nito's AoE and the stomping sound the Stray Demon makes walking around is in there somewhere too (forgot where I heard it).

The Mages homing arrows do less damage and they aren't heat seeking missiles like before.

Ok, they still seem to track pretty well though.

sixghost

I was playing around with stats and I figured out a really fun build
screenshot_2014_05_06_00_42_14_by_realghostvids-d7h8f4a.jpg

Drakekeeper's Sword and Great Scythe, no buffs or magic, just cold hard pain. The sword is really fast and alternating swings between the two weapons is even faster. The Scythe is excellent at catching people as they roll away.

The stats are kind of silly though due to the awful scaling. I have 16 STR and DEX (STR for the Drakekeeper's Sword, DEX for the emergency Long Bow) which fit in with the minimum required stats for all the weapons I'm using. At 40 STR and DEX the sword and scythe only gained 53 and 51 damage respectively. I decided to keep STR and DEX low and just use the Ring of Blades +2 (flat 50 damage bonus to all weapons) to gain that extra damage. Then that left me with heaps of points to dump into VIG, END, ADP and some in VIT.

It may not do as much damage as buff builds but it's super fun to play; I joined the Bell Keepers this evening and have been having a great time.
Are you sure about the bonus damage on those weapons? The drakesword has pretty good scaling at C/C, so you should be getting way more damage than +53 if you're STR and DEX are at 40.

Durante

Does DS2 have some kind of "farming detection"? I don't mean enemies having a limited number of spawns. What happened is that I was trying to complete a particular armor set for almost an hour, and when I killed the last enemy on the very last possible run it dropped not just one but 2 pieces, completing the set for me -- that was after at least 80 kills with only 2 single piece drops. Maybe it was just a really nice coincidence, or maybe someone really coded a "give the poor guy his armor already" trigger?

Shrine of Amana is super easy now and easily doable with melee only....except for the final area before the boss.

That shit is super hard.

A-yup. I brought a bow and just chipped away at the magic users when I was in there solo. Got blasted, then brought a couple of bros with me and it was just plain silly easy. Demon of Song with one tank and about 7 or 8 Sunlight Spears between us was possibly the easiest thing I've ever done.

Does DS2 have some kind of "farming detection"? I don't mean enemies having a limited number of spawns. What happened is that I was trying to complete a particular armor set for almost an hour, and when I killed the last enemy on the very last possible run it dropped not just one but 2 pieces, completing the set for me -- that was after at least 80 kills with only 2 single piece drops. Maybe it was just a really nice coincidence, or maybe someone really coded a "give the poor guy his armor already" trigger?

Was it the Gyrm set?

Without any hard evidence, I had the feeling there were some kind of conditional drop rates at play in the game. Other's weren't so luck and had to farm hours for their armor sets, but I always felt like the game more often than not dropped set pieces I didn't own yet.

Stet

Banned

I've always felt like the last run before the enemies disappear, their drop rate goes up. It might be linear for each of their deaths, even.

Sullichin

If this were true I'd have my god damn sea bow! :(

Orayn

That sounds like a reversed version of the Desire Sensor from Monster Hunter, where it gives you what you want most instead of least. :O

Maybe you got lucky. RNG is inconsistent for me. My PS3 playthrough I could never get a Gyrm Greatshield or Black steel Katana to drop, but they did my first time through the areas on PC.

I just cleared out Kings Passage for the Llewellyn set with all my item discovery gear on only got a single piece to drop... YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom